SOTW 43 - Black and White

DeletedUser

Welcome to Signature Of The Week 43!

The theme this week: Black and White

Straightforward theme - any genre of signature is allowed, except it must be colorless :) Only black and white colors will be allowed in this competition.

Rules:
  • Keep it strictly anonymous
  • There are only 10 places, first come first served basis
  • Max size of 500x200
  • No pre-mades
  • PM your entry to me
  • Choose, and PM, a theme from here to be used next week should you win :)

Good luck everyone!

DeletedUser

Question: Is this purely black and white, or black and white "focus"? Ie. Are you allowed a small stroke or splash of colour, etc, as long as black and white is the focus?

Kind of BOTG style of black and white?

DeletedUser102804

Question: Is this purely black and white, or black and white "focus"? Ie. Are you allowed a small stroke or splash of colour, etc, as long as black and white is the focus?

The bit of color has been allowed previously, so I'd say it still goes for this one

King Sean04

Wouldn't putting colour deter from the focal? Making the colour the focal thus ruining the point of the theme?

DeletedUser

Harbi, Is it possible you can post a image? Or will it give away your concept?

DeletedUser

botg22.png

This was my entry for the BOTG black and white theme which was fine. So I was wondering if that sort of thing is ok in the SOTW, or if it is pure black and white.

DeletedUser

botg22.png

This was my entry for the BOTG black and white theme which was fine. So I was wondering if that sort of thing is ok in the SOTW, or if it is pure black and white.
Yes, something like that is fine.

Make sure the "splash" of color is indeed subtle :)

DeletedUser

For me B+W has always been just that: B+W. Using the value of B+W is what has always been known, and adding colour to a piece no longer makes it a B+W piece, it is then a B+W+Colour. Photography depicts this best, with the first photography being only in B+W. Later on sepia was used for archival stability, and colour was introduced in the late 20th century as the right chemicals were found for the recording and developing. Nowadays with digital photography and digital work artists and designers will usually opt for either a pure B+W or a colour piece, and in some they will use B+W+Colour, where the colour is used to make something stand out.

So, here we have a theme of Black and White. Surely then that means that we can only use the B+W value, as the use of colour is not mentioned in the theme or even the rules for this specific competition? People who wanted Black and White in the SOTW theme pool probably thought of it in this way: part of the appeal of black and white is its more subdued monochromatic character, and the atmosphere that it produces.

Syntex has said so long as the use of colour is subtle, but how can colour be subtle when surrounded by Black and White, causing it to stand out? If you want colour, then change the theme to Black and White and Colour, but otherwise keep to the challenge and the ultimate beauty of B+W, creating an atmosphere and a scene using a tonal range of White to Black.

DeletedUser

there are ~ 465 shades of grey the human eye can diffrentiate between, I think adding colour would be a tad greedy tbh...

DeletedUser

I was doing something with YinYan Symbol. Then switched to something else completly when I saw a bit coloring is accepted. Now those two above comments are playing with my feelings. :[

I'm switching back to black and white Only..

DeletedUser

hahaa my comment was only a joke :') I'm not majorly bothered about a little bit of colour tbh :)

DeletedUser

For me B+W has always been just that: B+W. Using the value of B+W is what has always been known, and adding colour to a piece no longer makes it a B+W piece, it is then a B+W+Colour. Photography depicts this best, with the first photography being only in B+W. Later on sepia was used for archival stability, and colour was introduced in the late 20th century as the right chemicals were found for the recording and developing. Nowadays with digital photography and digital work artists and designers will usually opt for either a pure B+W or a colour piece, and in some they will use B+W+Colour, where the colour is used to make something stand out.

So, here we have a theme of Black and White. Surely then that means that we can only use the B+W value, as the use of colour is not mentioned in the theme or even the rules for this specific competition? People who wanted Black and White in the SOTW theme pool probably thought of it in this way: part of the appeal of black and white is its more subdued monochromatic character, and the atmosphere that it produces.

Syntex has said so long as the use of colour is subtle, but how can colour be subtle when surrounded by Black and White, causing it to stand out? If you want colour, then change the theme to Black and White and Colour, but otherwise keep to the challenge and the ultimate beauty of B+W, creating an atmosphere and a scene using a tonal range of White to Black.

Darkness has no meaning without light. Black and white has no meaning without colour to contrast it with. The "ultimate beauty" of black and white is not in itself, but in the contrast.

DeletedUser102804

lol, mine was too bland with just B&W, so it's being redone right now with a bit of color.