SOTW 47 - Comic Strip

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Reporting is not there to show you can be a mod, it's there so users can make the forum a better place.

Being a mod is a more work intensive version of that.

DeletedUser

It's kind of like how "calling the police" doesn't mean you ARE the police.

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, reporting posts that break the rules is a nice benefactor to perhaps becoming a mod, but it is most certainly not a tiebreaker when it comes down to it.

DeletedUser81336

Don't get me wrong, reporting posts that break the rules is a nice benefactor to perhaps becoming a mod, but it is most certainly not a tiebreaker when it comes down to it.

:lol: usilly MF.
I've seen repeatedly the "hiring" of moderators who have less than 300 posts and barely know how the forum really works, over those normal forum goers who know and understand the rules. Despite not having a perfect record, they do usually follow the rules. Finding and reporting rule-breaking posts should be rewarded when a tiebreak occurs between two people...

DeletedUser

I've seen repeatedly the "hiring" of moderators who have less than 300 posts and barely know how the forum really works, over those normal forum goers who know and understand the rules. Despite not having a perfect record, they do usually follow the rules. Finding and reporting rule-breaking posts should be rewarded when a tiebreak occurs between two people...

I've usually seen the moderators hired (mostly, not always) be because they are... Mature, for lack of a better word. You can teach someone how to use the forum. You can't teach someone how to be fair or impartial, or to be calm (emotional displays on forums are not particularly pleasant reading :icon_razz:).

(May or may not be a criteria, this is just from my observation.)

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score

You do realize I barely had 300 posts when I was hired? Posting posts does not mean you know how the forum works, it's reading posts that does it.
And the way we decide what we call a tie break is that we put them all in a poll, and vote for whichever one we want. Whoever has the mosts votes gets hired.

Either way, there's more to hiring people than you think, which is why it is fairly evident to me as to why you're wrong. And that is nothing to be ashamed of, because you could not possibly know what goes on behind the screens when it comes to hiring unless you're either a community manager here or an elder mod.

That's about all I'm going to say on the subject, if you want to discuss this some more you are free to swing by on skype or send me a PM (that means, this discussion is now done being public :p )