SOTW Theme Discussion

• Thread starter Genetic Engineer
  • Start date

DeletedUser

There's 3 GE. Just one more now.

Also I think when looking at themes it's better not to stick it to a specific subject matter, i.e rather than saying, start wars say fantasy. When you limit it to one specific thing it really removes from the creativity where as picking a broad theme allows people to select their subject matter within the umbrella of the theme meaning more variety and creativity in the signatures.

This^.

DeletedUser

Green - My personal favourites.
Red - The ones and don't like and why.

Of course that's just my opinion and that doesn't make it "right". I like most of them listed, but would be happy to have them all in the mix, if decided. As-long as we have at least some good ones :p

One thing I did think about was "propaganda" which does fall into the category of advertisement though I suppose (for example things like Star Wars anti rebel posters, or Fable 3 style recruitment posters, etc etc (obviously no real religious or political stuff). But advertisements works for me there too.

So say we remove location and keep 7 wonders, there's a perfect balance.
Looking at your argument about the specific colour ... I would tend to agree so I will remove that aswell, we have 6 places left to fill.

There's 3 GE. Just one more now.
You are a noob :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

So say we remove location and keep 7 wonders, there's a perfect balance.
Looking at your argument about the specific colour ... I would tend to agree so I will remove that aswell, we have 6 places left to fill.

Storyboard? Ie. 2-3 comic strip style (doesn't have to be a "strip" per-say though) with a story to it. Could be interesting.
Descriptive? We did something like this before, one with a caption explaining the piece (other than that a blank canvas).
Could throw in an "anime" if we needed more filler.
Artistic or Abstract? "breaking the mould" so to speak.

Clutching at straws really, but...

DeletedUser

wel i was thinking about
another theme

fantasy
Art
daily used items

DeletedUser

Storyboard? Ie. 2-3 comic strip style (doesn't have to be a "strip" per-say though) with a story to it. Could be interesting.
Descriptive? We did something like this before, one with a caption explaining the piece (other than that a blank canvas).
Could throw in an "anime" if we needed more filler.
Artistic or Abstract? "breaking the mould" so to speak.

Clutching at straws really, but...

I really like the comic book/comic strip idea. Would give lots of leeway in regards to designs and variation in enntries.

DeletedUser

I like the idea of daily used items

I'm not so keen on the story boards idea :S I think that will just lead to a lot of paint signatures ...

DeletedUser

Just reject paint signatures? :L Its obvious when a signature is serious or not. Rather than comic strip, have it comic style? Gives slip to an array of desings.

DeletedUser81336

Themes I would be interested in seeing (some have been used already on here or .uk)...

Superheroes [Example: Superman, Spiderman, Batman (don't say he's not a superhero)]
Comics [Example: Calvin & Hobbes, Snoopy)
Movies (the movie/movie theme should be specified) [Example: LOTR, Star Wars]
Video Games (similar to movies in the aspect that the game should be specified) [Example: Mario games, Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime]
Good/Bad or Heaven/Hell [Example: Angel, Devil]
Seasonal [Example: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter]
Holiday Based [Example: Christmas (disappointed in ya'll this year), Easter, St. Patrick's Day]
Color Themed [Example: Green, Red, Violet]
Typography
Smudge (I'm 50/50 on this as obviously some people will have no chance at competing)
Sports [Example: Football (American), Football (European), Basketball, Lacrosse]
Music [Example: Artists, Meaningful/Funny verses]
Nature [Example: Ocean, flowers, landmarks, pretty st00f]
Man-Made [Example: Cities, Skyscrapers, man-made landmarks]

List could go on and on...

DeletedUser

A song own interpretation sigs

I like the comics part but i like it in just characters not a comic storyboard

DeletedUser

Themes I would be interested in seeing (some have been used already on here or .uk)...

Superheroes [Example: Superman, Spiderman, Batman (don't say he's not a superhero)]
Comics [Example: Calvin & Hobbes, Snoopy)
Movies (the movie/movie theme should be specified) [Example: LOTR, Star Wars]
Video Games (similar to movies in the aspect that the game should be specified) [Example: Mario games, Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime]

Good/Bad or Heaven/Hell [Example: Angel, Devil]
Seasonal [Example: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter]
Holiday Based [Example: Christmas (disappointed in ya'll this year), Easter, St. Patrick's Day]
Color Themed [Example: Green, Red, Violet]
Typography
Smudge (I'm 50/50 on this as obviously some people will have no chance at competing)
Sports [Example: Football (American), Football (European), Basketball, Lacrosse]
Music [Example: Artists, Meaningful/Funny verses]
Nature [Example: Ocean, flowers, landmarks, pretty st00f]
Man-Made [Example: Cities, Skyscrapers, man-made landmarks]

List could go on and on...

me like the fat pieces xD

DeletedUser

I like the idea of music and possibly anime.

Like GE said, we're looking for 20 to vote on.

DeletedUser

Ok so I'm thinking :

Photo manipulation
Defaults
Specific render/stock
Smudge
Freestyle
Collabs
Sprites
Movies (2000-Now)
7 Wonders of the World
Sports
Heaven or Hell
Advertisement
Emotions
Typography
Black & White
Music
Anime
Video Games
Comic Strip ( With certain restrictions )
Daily used items

If you think differently, let me know below.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

All good themes, can't see anything wrong with them. 7 wonders of the world is the trickiest of the themes though, as there are many sets of wonders. Syntex, if and when that theme comes along you might want to do some research on the wonders. For example with the 7 wonders of the ancient world you may see entries with 3 pyramids. They are the three great pyramids, but they are not one of the wonders. The pyramid that you would be looking for is the great pyramid of giza :)
Keep an eye out for miss-conceptions like that and then you will get entries that are correct to the theme :)