The BEST Player of W30

DeletedUser

Who is the best player?

Shoot, that's really hard to say. I guess it depends on how you define "best".

If the "best" player was the one with the most skill & knowledge, offensively and defensively, with understanding of all aspects of game play (from leadership to scripting, knowing how to pace yourself, and when to push hard, as well as how to encourage the best game play possible from others) then I would say BD's canine- was possibly the best player I ever met. He was courteous to enemies, approachable as a Duke, and believed that the best way to play the game was to keep it fun, and keep your online time commitments to a minimum.

If you define "best" as the ability to have the most in-game impact for the fewest hours actually spent online, then perhaps BelValcor deserves the title. His scripting prowess has let him do in minutes what it takes the average player hours to do. AND he shares his creations with his tribe, to make BH one of the smoothest run war machines around. (So smooth, I swear the players must fall asleep at the wheel, sometimes ; )

(My apologies to any members of RAM who may take offense to the above statement. I know you've got some good scripters too, and consider your tribe better warriors than BH in many cases. But I have been in BH, and I have seen inside RAM, and my quick bar carries more of Bel's scripts than it does yours.)

Of course, if you want to define "the best player" as the one with the most personal impact on the world… Parmenion can not be overlooked. Many Dukes and Barons have influenced the outcome of wars with how they've thrown their weight around, and the weight of the tribes they've led. But Parmenion is one of those individuals who has caused the rise and fall of Dukes and of tribes, as a mere player.

If you define greatness as the ability to lead others, then many names can be thrown into the ring. Badlapje, JPohlman, Wildcats, Pajuno… even Cshipley (I may not be a fan, but he built the bones of what has become a world power. Wittman, Karmax, Vult & co have done an exceptional job of fleshing it out, and keeping that war machine moving).

Of those, I'd say Pajuno is the "best" - at least, the most effective - Duke I have worked under in w30. And before people point fingers about how I would have to support my own Duke for "best", I'll note that I originally came to work for Paj while I was his enemy. His skills in leadership - in knowing just how hard to push someone, and how far to trust - drew me in, and are what has kept Phoenix on the map waaaay beyond the point when a sane tribe would have given up. His players follow him not because he has promised to win, but because he is Paj.
(On that note, an honorable mention must be given to Cececole, who also led a small but determined tribe way past the point where sane players would have admitted defeat). It is easy to lead people when you are winning, or look like you stand a chance of it. Much harder to do so when the odds are stacked against you. Kudos to the many Dukes on this world who have done so, and with flair.

Were I pressed to define what makes a player good in this game, I would have to say it is a combination of determination, skill, and willingness to learn, topped off with the realization that (a) it's just a game, and (b) no one can make you quit, until you choose to quit. A good player can stand alone, can bend tribes to his will, and can rack up the ODA even while being flooded with incomings. He doesn't desert when things looks bad. He is loyal to his tribe and to his friends, and he doesn't feel the need to insult his enemies.

If that's the qualifications for being the "best" in w30, I think ChamachA has the most right to the title.

- Raven

(whoops - sorry Cece. I hadn't seen your reply yet when posting mine. Very similar thoughts, about how you can't really pick one "best" )

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser71844

Pound-for-pound best player has to be Jubal.

Best attacking player: Ph0b0s.
Best defending player: Raven.

However there have been many great players it's almost a shame to note a few. Almost.

DeletedUser79042

Pound-for-pound best player has to be Jubal.
"had"

And I agree to the pound - for - pound designator. Jubal was an uberplayer :)

Sorry, I missed mentioning him. Raven on the other hand was/is an ubersitter :lol:

Last edited:

DeletedUser70594

I agree, Jubs and dalowin were great when they were together

DeletedUser79042

Jubal was a team by himself. A whole footbal team. 11 players :lol:

(soccer to you yanks :) )

DeletedUser92

I'm sleepy and I'm on sleep-meds that haven't fully hit me yet. I'm...Surprised and honored that my name even came up, after so long?

I never believed in "best" players. I believe in "best on a topic," perhaps, but TW has so many topics that its impossible to really say "the best." Its all about situation and utility. For example! On W30, THE had two brothers in the tribe; Dalowin and Jubal. They worked amazing together. When one retired, the other wasn't too far behind; when one tried to return without the other, they didn't last. So on, so forth, right?

On W8, THE had a pair of brothers as well; Smitty and Reprobate. Those two alone held a continent, more or less. But, one eventually had to step down; so did the other. Lesson? Brother teams are great but they have a potential downside, too. Oh, I'm sure its not a universal rule; I'm sure there are times when one brother steps down and the other keeps going for years! But there's a pattern that's been established, and it pays to know that said pattern exists and may manifest. It doesn't take anything away from either duo, and I wouldn't even say one was "better" than the other as they both played in different phases as well as with different circumstances.

Me? I write. I kinda do it for a non-living. That made me really good at convincing people to do things (TW Politics, folks, it sucks) and even better at telling what I perceived as a truth. That creativity? It makes me really good at coming up with plans and abstract concepts. Its not concrete, and that means there's a very practical aspect of thinking that I either am not going to consider first, or am going to find "reasons," legitimate or not, that can overcome it. Case in point; If I was a 5 million point player would I be more useful on the field-of-battle? Probably! But was I able to rationalize that trade-off for a focus on making more than one person a 5 million player? Yes. And, is that a fair trade-off? Maybe!

But the point is...Every player that's good has something they're good at. Maybe you can find a best within a single category (the best user of fakes, the best village build creator, etc), but to attempt to define someone as the "best" is fruitless. Simple. Jubal was great, but if he had been a little less great and lasted a lot longer? He might have been "greater" in one fashion, but less great in another - and that's the point. Canine- and Baddie were awesome people to work with, but some of their recommendations were dead wrong and cost us all big-time. Every great person makes mistakes; I'd argue that making mistakes is part of what makes someone great. Overcoming them is nice too; but even if ya can't, that doesn't make you bad or mean you've "lost your touch," it just means that it was time. People retire, lives move on - and all's good!

I dunno. I'm starting to doze by now, and my prose is breaking down rapidly as you can see! I think the greatest players are those who retired and keep in touch with one another. Maybe those who work on projects! I hang out with some W8 people that were clear-cut enemies back in the day and it's chill. BelValcor recently sent me a Skype message; we had a bad past (the whole THE-BH thing, after all!) but we got along well enough, so...Thanks for that! Sincerely! Xinryr! Remember him? I talk with him regularly; and SammyWinchestersMistress AKA Meitow, too. People here focus so much on the game (which has its ups and downs) that it gets out of control. I'm guilty of that too. But in the end, its not impossible to love this game, encourage the playing of it when its fun, have interesting rivalries, -and- to ultimately end the day saying, "Eh, whatever man, its good, lets talk somethin' else."

Night.

DeletedUser

Mm, can't say for sure who is best player, but Jpohlman does get my vote for best PnP poster
(unless Atraeus pops up again, and can keep his posts <1 page long ; )

DeletedUser71844

Pohlman makes a very valid point.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Player A plays for 2 months and racks up 150 enemy caps. Then is nobled out by the enemy.
Player B plays for 2 years and racks up 80 enemy caps. Then quits without ever losing a single village.

Who is the better player?
It's all a matter of your opinion. And our opinions are heavily influenced by that players persona as well.

DeletedUser70594

Player A plays for 2 months and racks up 150 enemy caps. Then is nobled out by the enemy.
Player B plays for 2 years and racks up 80 enemy caps. Then quits without ever losing a single village.

Who is the better player?

with this you want to say that A player is better then B??? I cant agree there.

Ok lets take Cececole and Jubal. Cece has less caps against enemies then Jubal. But You cant count that Jubal is better player. Because he failed. Cece won. DECIDE is still alive THE not. So : Cececole is Better player then Jubal!

DeletedUser

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you ChamichA, but by that theory:

MF, WWW, DRIVE, D2 are all better than BD, TARDIS and THE. Like I said before it's all relative to what you know and what you don't know.

DeletedUser92

with this you want to say that A player is better then B??? I cant agree there.

Unless I'm on drugs...He didn't. He just asked whether or not there is a basis for comparison that would give a clear winner. My concern is that there's not enough information, but there never is. Is a lone-wolf who caps 250 villages better than a team player who only capped 150 but sends nukes and defenses to his tribemates? To follow Soldier's example, how did this guy get nobled out?

Ok lets take Cececole and Jubal. Cece has less caps against enemies then Jubal. But You cant count that Jubal is better player. Because he failed. Cece won. DECIDE is still alive THE not. So : Cececole is Better player then Jubal!

Jubal retired well before he was in any kind of doomsday situation. He "lost" to one thing and one thing only - real life. Does that make him a worse player than anyone? Of course not, that's not a basis for comparison. The same applies for comparing tribes; they always have heights, lows, and plateaus. DECIDE today might be better or worse than DECIDE when I retired, which is better or worse than DECIDE when it first formed. There are some things about it that are better, there are some that are worse.

If all you're counting is "if you still play and are alive then you're better than all those who quit," technically I'm still alive. Technically, THE is too. But that doesn't matter - the THE that was at its height and was so well regarded during that time was gone a long time before BH clotheslined us. Paddy, AK_Iceman, Tangotemptress, Jubal, Dalowin and so many others were gone or half-active at best, which isn't to take away from the guys who were so great. I had to practically kick people out of the tribe, we wanted to keep going so badly - that aspect of THE was greater at that point than, say, when we were fighting SMURFS and we felt like we were invincible...But had people dropping every day because they didn't like the world's settings.

Cececole and I had our differences, but I wouldn't say she's not a great player and hasn't had a great impact on the world. Her discussions with me always went badly, but I'm sure as hell that they went excellently with other people.

DeletedUser70594

You guys missed my point. I was just proving that The player who has LOT of caps against enemy is not THE BEST.

But if you want to know my opinion, Cece is Better then Jubal. Anyway.

DeletedUser79042

the nfl (football to your non-yanks) also requires no more than 11 :)

what is the nfl? - national football league or sth like that? "footbal" played mainly by hands ? :lol::lol::lol:

I did not know it was an 11 member team. Thanks for the info Bull!

JP again... tsk tsk tsk ...

Please go to the time machine and regroup in the past. Make sure you do not make the same mistakes again. Make sure your account will get bigger this time, so noone will pick on you again :lol:. Make sure you will fire once more all your nukes at me and then hit delete right after they all go splat once more, to get to drive a bigger account. Make sure you will DISBAND THE this time right after that new attempt of yours :icon_rolleyes:. And just to make sure, you got it all figured out and you will be succesful once more :icon_biggrin:,
I think the greatest players are those who retired and keep in touch with one another.
JUST STICK WITH THOSE GREATEST RETIREES :lol::lol::lol: and leave us poor blocks - "lesser" players, keep fighting in TW.

The next phantom I wait to see these days is highbookie... Your designated assistant to bringing THE down :icon_neutral:

As for cececole:
Her discussions with me always went badly, but I'm sure as hell that they went excellently with other people.

you meant "all other people" right?