The Design Lounge

DeletedUser

abstractsprite.png

The bright colors just don't suit, put it on a red background IMO.
TBH i completely disagree :|

DeletedUser

uhmm hi :D

ok, because we have no mod now, im just gonna post my latest tut here:
[spoil]
daft_punk_tag_tutorial_by_daleader-d4alpab.png
[/spoil]

DeletedUser

Anyone got like some awesome pack of anything GFX related, that isn't Zenron's BlackLine academy? I'm feeling really lazy and I feel like if I download something new to play with I will be more inclined to get back into the swing of things.

DeletedUser

Only Just - it kinda stretches the left side of the forum too

DeletedUser102804

SotW108-1.png

This was made in GIMP, used nothing but the pen, brush, and smudge tools. CnC?

DeletedUser

Umm, this really is not the place to get CnC for a piece, this is to discuss general design topics.
We have a whole thread dedicated to people giving you CnC called the Critique Thread.

DeletedUser

Anyway moving on, new topic :)

The Selective Colour Tool !

I can't stress how much I really like this adjustment filter, let me show you an example first.

So if we take this base :

randomlightexamplebase.png

From this you can probably see that it's all a bit yellow, the colours are a bit dull and nothing really jumps out at you colour wise, now with the selective colour you can highlight each colour be it , red, yellow, blue, cyan, white etc. and add hints of other colours or tone down different tones of colours. With the filter this is how you could edit this piece :-

randomlightexample.png

Obviously it's still not a perfect piece as it is one of my very very old signatures, but you can see how I have managed to clean up the colours a bit more, if I would have spent more time I could have really sharpened it up. I see a lot of new designers having problems with colour in their piece which is why I feel if they got to know this filter, they could really help their pieces.

I know this was quite vague and didn't explain the tool, but many designers don't even know it exists, and really it is all about experimentation and messing with the sliders. So have a go and see how it can help your pieces :)

DeletedUser

Well thanks for all the replies on my last post guys, greatly appreciated ;)
Moving on, I was looking at something and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Most of you will be aware of the Helvetica font, but do you realise how many times you see it in any given day ? For example here are some logo's that use the Helvetica font ( for some reason the creator of the image replaced the brand names with "Helvetica", but I can confirm all of the actual logos use helvetica )

[THIS IS A BIG IMAGE]
[SPOIL]
helvetica-fake-logos.png
[/SPOIL]

It just amazes me how many times you probably see it each day without thinking about it.
I hope you find it as interesting as I did :D Or maybe it's just cause I'm obsessed with logos

DeletedUser

Most of you will be aware of the Helvetica font, but do you realise how many times you see it in any given day ? For example here are some logo's that use the Helvetica font ( for some reason the creator of the image replaced the brand names with "Helvetica", but I can confirm all of the actual logos use helvetica)

Sounds like someone just watched the Helvetica film...

King Sean04

Yea :p it's one of those once it's been seen it can't be unseen :lol:

samulis

Papyrus, Times, Arial, etc...

I once read a nice article on the most overused fonts. I think even Trajan Pro (a personal favorite) was on there. :(

DeletedUser

Well thanks for all the replies on my last post guys, greatly appreciated ;)
Moving on, I was looking at something and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Most of you will be aware of the Helvetica font, but do you realise how many times you see it in any given day ? For example here are some logo's that use the Helvetica font ( for some reason the creator of the image replaced the brand names with "Helvetica", but I can confirm all of the actual logos use helvetica )

[THIS IS A BIG IMAGE]
[SPOIL]
helvetica-fake-logos.png
[/SPOIL]

It just amazes me how many times you probably see it each day without thinking about it.
I hope you find it as interesting as I did :D Or maybe it's just cause I'm obsessed with logos
I was surprised by a lot of those!

It's interesting that Toyota and BMW both use that font...

Nice find