The Design Lounge

DeletedUser

So guys, another TW GFX question

Do you feel that this is a separate community, or a part of the tw community in general i.e. if you were to post something 'off topic', would you put it here or in the off topic section?

(I'm bored :) )

DeletedUser

Also Dan, it's good to learn the legal heights of sigs ;)

Dammit Sean, you made the forum mod send me a mail, they might not of noticed otherwise :icon_rolleyes:

How are you anyway? Last time i saw you was in world 35's forums, you still on that world? Seems like noone owns an account they had from the start anymore :icon_sad:

King Sean04

Dammit Sean, you made the forum mod send me a mail, they might not of noticed otherwise :icon_rolleyes:

How are you anyway? Last time i saw you was in world 35's forums, you still on that world? Seems like noone owns an account they had from the start anymore :icon_sad:

The only way the mod wouldn't have noticed was if they were blind :icon_razz:

Yup still there, we're voting for the end of the world now.

DeletedUser92094

So guys, another TW GFX question

Do you feel that this is a separate community, or a part of the tw community in general i.e. if you were to post something 'off topic', would you put it here or in the off topic section?

(I'm bored :) )

Separate in it's way, based on how most forums of the entire TW community have to do with TW.

DeletedUser

The only way the mod wouldn't have noticed was if they were blind :icon_razz:

Yup still there, we're voting for the end of the world now.

Good point :icon_sad:

Wow, who is gonna win when it ends? I'm not sure what tribes are still around anymore :icon_neutral:

And i agree with Norman, these forums are basically their own forums - and the best part is that all the jerks in the main forums are either not here, or act differently. Barely see any flaming, any 'noob' calling, its great :icon_razz:

They definitely have their own etiquette.

DeletedUser

New topic - The effect of SOPA/ACTA/PIPA on Graphics

I'm actually quite curious as to what effect it will have :S

King Sean04

I think it'll severely affect our tag making as well as other forms of art. The fact that they are not well thought out and they have no clue what they are talking about is kind of scary tbh. I also find it hypocritical to have a country like the US for example be "pro" democracy and freedom of speech, then to turn around and pull a "commie"esque move like those. Also, Canada is trying to pass a bill called Bill C-11. It's the Canadian version of SOPA. If any of these actually pass I'm joining NASA's first populate the moon movement :icon_redface:

DeletedUser100345

Hey does anyone know how this font is called?
[spoil]
slowyourbreath.jpg
[/spoil]

@SOPA: This shit -.-
internet = freedom for everyone
with sopa/acta/pipa it will be just censored for making money and NOT because any ideals
it's all about money - some pics about sopa :icon_evil:
[spoil]
2322481_460s.jpg

2286374_460s.jpg
[/spoil]

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sean04

LOL funny pics :D The guy who wrote up SOPA is actually a hypocrit :p

DeletedUser

Here's a question for you guys, what matters more to you in art in general, the concept behind an image, or the technique/skill which has been put into an image.

For me I would say concept, as I want to be made to think more deeply about what I am seeing rather than just looking and thinking "ah yeah that's cool" but what do you guys think ?

DeletedUser

Here's a question for you guys, what matters more to you in art in general, the concept behind an image, or the technique/skill which has been put into an image.

For me I would say concept, as I want to be made to think more deeply about what I am seeing rather than just looking and thinking "ah yeah that's cool" but what do you guys think ?

I think they both are equal to eachother.
A cool concept, made without skills, wouldn't attract me, just because it isn't looking good.
I have to see something that's beautifull.. And most of the time, you need skills to do that xD

Mostly. If you have skills, you also have nice concepts.. :)

DeletedUser

Technique. Technique. Technique.
Something I am working on =P
Technique can make anything look great

Topic: What Platform(s) Do you use?
I personally use Gimp just because I do not have any money.
1. What platform(s) do you use?
2. Which are worth the money?
3. Which is your favorite
4. What is the amount you spent on your platforms?
Ex.
Gimp 00.00$
Photoshop XX.XX Dollars
Etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Concept/style is definitely more important, but tech/skill is still far from irrelevant.
I'm not much of a visual artist myself, so my opinion only has so much relevance, but...
Technique/skill can be learned, whereas style/concept/inspiration/vision/whateveryouwanttocallit cannot (it can be mimicked, but that is besides the point). It is truly a testament to ones artistic capability, to be original.

Sometimes, we see artists that excel in both, ie. H.R.Giger, Salvador Dalí, etc. but they are not the norm. Personally, I find that the more someone has 'studied' art, the more they mimic, and the less creative and original they become.

King Sean04

Technique. Technique. Technique.
Something I am working on =P
Technique can make anything look great

Topic: What Platform(s) Do you use?
I personally use Gimp just because I do not have any money.
1. What platform(s) do you use?
2. Which are worth the money?
3. Which is your favorite
4. What is the amount you spent on your platforms?
Ex.
Gimp 00.00$
Photoshop XX.XX Dollars
Etc...

I was going to answer your questions earlier but just remembered now. So on to the questions:

1) Depending on what I am doing. I am in a graphic design program in college so I use the more popular Adobe softwares like, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks (once in awhile), Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.
2) I got the Adobe Creative Suite CS5 Student Edition for only a couple hundred dollars on the Adobe site. And that was around Christmas. Now that CS6 has come out CS5 should be even cheaper now. But if you only want photoshop you could probably find it fairly cheap on the site.
3) My personal favorite is Photoshop but illustrator is becoming a close second. Especially when I'm tracing.
4) I can't remember the exact price I payed but it was between 200-500$ CAD (shipping and all) for the Creative Suite Student Edition. It is the exact same software but for a lot cheaper. All you need to do is scan a school ID and prove you are a student.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

DeletedUser

This thread brings me so much nostalgia. RIP all the old-school designers who used to post up sigs here and discuss them, they are probably all now finished with their GD/Design courses and out in the real world :icon_razz: