The GIMP Tutorial By -DA-(BOOK 1)

DeletedUser

The GIMP Tutorial: BOOK 1
(The Beginner's Guide)

My Fellow GIMPER:

Hello, my name is -Dark Assasin-, and I am a Signature Maker for the Public Forum Posters. I created this Topic to teach you a little bit of knowledge regarding GIMP. So let us begin...

First of all, I am not the best Signature Maker here in the Public Forum, I am not either the best Signature Maker using a GIMP Software. So, put that in mind... Now, I created this Topic in order to teach the NEW GIMPERS some of the most basic things using GIMP. I have couple of mails regarding this, that is why I decided to make a Beginner's Guide Book for the NEW GIMPERS.

These are the things that you will need to have for this Tutorial:
With those qualities, you will finish this Tutorial pefectly, and it will help you in the Future if you decided to make an Advance GIMP Signature. If you are already in a Higher Level of GIMP Signature Making, you don't have to continue. This Tutorial only focus on the Beginning Level of GIMP Signature Making.

Thank you for taking your time reading this post, and I hope you will learn all the things that I posted in here.

Sign:
-DA-
Sig Maker
TW.Net

P.S.
If you have any further question(s) regarding this post, please mail me here in the Forum.

NOTE:
  • If you are having some problem(s) with the GUIDES that I posted, feel free to contact me.
  • The GIMP Tutorial BOOK 2 will be release in an unknown date.
  • This Guide will be completed before the end of this Month.
------------------------------------------------------------

How to Render an Image in GIMP???

[spoil]"HOW TO RENDER AN IMAGE IN GIMP???"
(This guide was made by Cheeze-Weezet, and was edited by -Dark Assasin-!!!)

There are a lots of way rendering an Image in GIMP, and I will try to teach you the most pratical way to do it.

RENDERING AN IMAGE USING THE PATHS TOOL:

Step #1:

Open the image that you wish to cut out by going to the Main Gimp Window, and then following these steps:
  • Go to File -> Open -> Browse your Image
Step #2:

After you have opened your image from the Main Gimp Window. Do this step:
  • Select the "Paths Tool", and start clicking around the part of the image you wish to cut out.
(TIP: To get a better cut out of an image, zoom in to the image to get a closer view.)

Step #3:

After fully selecting the area in the image,and connecting the two meeting endpoints. Follow these steps:
  • Go to Select.
  • Click the words "FROM PATH".
Your image should now have what looks like a "WALKING ANTS" path around it.

Step #4:

Now follow these steps:
  • Go to Layer.
  • Find the word Transparency.
  • Click "ADD ALPHA CHANNEL".
This step is VITAL if you do not add an Alpha Channel, then you will not have a transparent background in the next step which you will need to complete rendering the image.

Step #5:

Follow these steps:
  • Click Select.
  • Click Invert.
(Note: Doing this will not change the look of the image.)

Step #6:

Now that you have Selected the image, added an Alpha Channel, and Inverted the image, now it's time to make the background transparent leaving your rendered image the only thing left in the image box. To do this follow these steps:
  • Go to Edit.
  • Click the word Cut.
The entire background or everything that is not within the paths you have selected will be cleared from the image and replaced with transparency.

If this step does not work, backtrack and make sure you followed every step. If this step worked then the image should have little Grey and dark Grey boxes surrounding your selected image (It looks some like a Checker Board with really tiny boxes.), this is what "Transparency" looks like in GIMP. Virtually it is not really there so when you save the image the only thing in the picture will be your selected image.

Step #7:

Finally Save the image as a .PNG, or .JPG.

PNG ---> When you save your image at File/Save as, there will be a pop up window in which are a bunch of pre-set settings for .PNG's , the pre-set settings are fine so leave them alone, and click Save.

JPG ---> JPG will not handle the transparency, so you have to export it first.

When you are done saving your image, you may wish to look over your work, and make sure all the edges are smooth and there is no trace of the background left, if there is, then just get the "Eraser Tool" from the main GIMP window and erase the leftovers from the background and smooth the edges.

That is the most practical way to render an image in GIMP. I hope you learn something new...again...^_^
[/spoil]

How to Make a Border in GIMP???

[spoil]"HOW TO MAKE A BORDER IN GIMP???"
(This guide was made by KOA Anubis, and was edited by -Dark Assasin-!!!)

These are the two of many ways putting a border in a Signature in GIMP:

Option #1:

Make a New Layer. Make sure that the New Layer is above(ON TOP) the Background Layer. Also, make sure that the Foreground Color is BLACK. Then follow these simple steps:
  • Go to Select -> All.
  • Edite -> Stroke Selection
  • Make the Stroke Line either 2 or 3 -> Stroke/Ok
Here is the outcome of that border:

KoopsDemosigblackborder.png

Option # 2:

Make a New Layer. Make sure that the New Layer is above(ON TOP) the Background Layer. Make sure that your Foreground Color is on its Default Setting(BLACK). Now follow these steps:

WARNING!!!
You might be lost with these steps.

Go to Select -> All.

With Black as your Foreground Color.
  • Edit -> Stroke Selection
  • Put Stroke Size 10 -> Stroke/Ok
Now, switch your Foreground from BLACK to WHITE.

With White as your Foreground Color.
  • Put Stroke Size 8 -> Stroke/Ok
Now, switch your Foreground Color to BLACK again.

With Black as your Foreground Color.
  • Put Stroke Size 5, or 6 -> Stroke/Ok
Now, look at your Right. You should see the Right Toolbox. In that Toolbox, look for the MODE. Click the down button, and you should see the OVERLAY MODE. Click that. Now, the Black, White, and Black border should now be Transparent.

Here is the outcome of this border:

KoopsDemosigfancyborder.png

I hope you learn something new with this Guide.
[/spoil]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Sooper. The one i want is the one i cant see -_-. I can only see the first spoiler on a page. Maybe ill just dl firefox right now.

DeletedUser

After you've made a path you really have to do all that insane amount of weird pointless work just to render an image?

Get a PS while you're still sane.

DeletedUser

Find out how to use www.dafont.com fonts on Gimp!
And you do alot more work than i do for transparent background. :icon_eek:

DeletedUser

If using fonts require some special steps other than simply installing font in your system folder, then I'm about to change my views about GIMP as half-way decent graphic program.

Have you tried just un-rarin the font and dragging it into Control Panel -> Fonts folder? Restart the currently open programs, though.

DeletedUser

For dafont, you just unzip and put into fonts folder. That is it rewriteable, unless GIMP has some strange way?

DeletedUser

Possibly. I went to www.dafont.com and got Starcraft Normal font. Then i just put it in the Font folder for Gimp. Is that right? Or do i put it in some other random font folder somewhere else?

DeletedUser

Possibly. I went to www.dafont.com and got Starcraft Normal font. Then i just put it in the Font folder for Gimp. Is that right? Or do i put it in some other random font folder somewhere else?

What Stamp said. Or the same folder can be found through Control panel. Be sure to unzip it first somewhere (on desktop, for example), if you just drag and drop it straight from archieve it won't work.
There should appear a window "Installing font 1/1" or something like this fora second or two on your screen.

DeletedUser

After you've made a path you really have to do all that insane amount of weird pointless work just to render an image?

Get a PS while you're still sane.

LoL, that is not a lot of work really...^_^

Go try it out...LOL...

DeletedUser

Find out how to use www.dafont.com fonts on Gimp!
And you do alot more work than i do for transparent background. :icon_eek:

What do you do then???

^_^

All you have to do is this...

1.)Go to File -> Open -> Browse your Image.

2.)Select the "Paths Tool", and start clicking around the part of the image you wish to cut out.

3.)Go to Select -> Click the words "FROM PATH".

4.)Go to Layer -> Find the word Transparency -> Click "ADD ALPHA CHANNEL".

5.)Click Select -> Click Invert.

6.)Go to Edit -> Click the word Cut.

7.)Then Save it.

What is so hard with that???

Seven easy steps...^_^

^_^

DeletedUser

I find "download - unzip - install" to be so much easier... though I use Photoshop which is actually able to look into the windows fonts folder and "borrow" em from there...

DeletedUser

It is really much easier in GIMP.

Just copy, and paste the Folders to the GIMP Files.

^_^

DeletedUser

How can it be easier then pushing the install button once you've unziped it? After you've done that you can delete everything you downloaded and get the font in pretty much any program running natively in windows plus those who "leech" on windows for some of its fonts :)

DeletedUser

How is it easier???

Once you download a Font or Brush, all you have to do is copy it. Then Paste it to your GIMP Folder.

Then, you can use it everywhere. That's all you have to do...^_^

DeletedUser

How is it easier???

Once you download a Font or Brush, all you have to do is copy it. Then Paste it to your GIMP Folder.

Then, you can use it everywhere. That's all you have to do...^_^

Or you can copy and paste it in Window's font folder. Which seems to be more reliable place to place something you're going to use probably not only in GIMP.