that picture to me just sums up americans lol

i have a story for you...
in due time

White teeth?

:icon_eek:

somebody who was NOT me said THAT?
respect!
+ 1

no offense to conspik, or any other potential american for that matter, technically i am american :icon_rolleyes:

best image post goes to conspik, best text goes to wallam...

I am in Cambodia at the moment and all I drink is Angkor Draft.. very cheap and so nice to come out of 40C heat to a cool beverage. In Thailand I just drank Chang, i try to drink local beers when I am in that country.

that is what it is all about

As for the rest of the thread..

Cider > beer.

:lol: shahyd is a newb, wth is cider?
in america they have apple cider and the thought of apple cider and beer is sick tbh

Some beers are nice, although boddington's draft (the one you see bums drink in the yellow can) is possibly the worst beer I have ever tasted.

since we are no longer just discussing beer, but telling the stories that go with them now...

i have a story for you...
in due time

it is 2003, the americans have JUST invaded iraq, ariel sharon is leading israel which still has a massive settlement in the gaza strip, yassir arafat leads the palestinians, and me, i have just met this hot chick from cali at the Faisel Hostel outside Damascus Gate of the Old City in West Jerusalem and this succubus wants me to take her to lunch

we walk into this jewish deli she selects, me and the girl the beach boys wrote that song about though she had not yet been born then, in the middle of lunch time, and i, of course, ask if they serve beer

they do it turns out, but only Kosher beer

jerusalem is hot, it was afternoon
i had cracked the beer before i got to the table and taken my first sip of Kosher beer

much to the dismay of everybody in the restaurant, i reflexively spit it out :icon_eek:

then, i surveyed the stunned crowd of on-lookers who were yet still too shocked to speak, and in my FINEST american accent i said, "EVERY one of you KNEW i was not jewish, yet not ONE of you said a word, so do NOT say shit now!"

and everybody calmly went back to eating and somebody came along and mopped the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Most of the good American brew is not available outside of the US therefor you probably have never even heard of them, much less been able to taste. At least our beer is cold lol

I live in Canada, and our beer is very cold. Being Canadian and all. I am a big fan of Molson Canadian,but Carlsberg, Guinness, Stella Artois are all very good beer. Rickards is another good beer. Not sure if that's euro or N.A.

You guys should really try. Granville Island-Robson street. It orginates from Vancouver and took second in the World beer contest.

P.S Granville is a place and Robson street is a street name in Vancouver. I am from B.C so yea :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallam

shahyd is a noob.. wth is cider?

Beer is made from Barley, Cider is made from fruit usually apples but you can get other varieties such a pear. Thats the major difference.

In essence, cider is usually a lot sweeter than beer as well. As such it is a stereotype for younger generations to drink cider and older ones to drink beer.

Deleted User - 4669627

^^^ thank you

i will not be trying any cider and the jerusalem deli story will not be repeated

DeletedUser92806

A shotglass with half baileys and half jameson, Drop it in a pint and bottoms up. Damn so good.

mamma mia..
I have done it with Jagermaister and Vodka few times. Promised myself never again. But Baileys there.. must try!

DeletedUser

Jupiler
Duvel
Hoegaarden
Westmalle

Those are a few of our better beers in Belgium, but of course we have hundreds of different kinds of beers. I can't be arsed listing them all ^^

Either way, we are superior. The only beer I really like which doesn't have a superior Belgian equivalent is Guinness.

DeletedUser

Jupiler
Duvel
Hoegaarden
Westmalle

Those are a few of our better beers in Belgium, but of course we have hundreds of different kinds of beers. I can't be arsed listing them all ^^

Either way, we are superior. The only beer I really like which doesn't have a superior Belgian equivalent is Guinness.

couldnt of said it better myself

face it americans

We have better beer

DeletedUser

Jupiler
Duvel
Hoegaarden
Westmalle

Hoeagaarden is one of my favourites, but did you try Bavarian's kapuziner weissbier?

DeletedUser

Hoeagaarden is one of my favourites, but did you try Bavarian's kapuziner weissbier?

Sadly enough the belgian market is to strong for international competition concerning beer =/ The only foreign beer you might find here is Heiniken (Them Dutchies live close to us you know) and sometimes Guinness...

I have tried several Greek, Indian, Italian and German beers though. And more but those I remember anyway...

Wallam

mamma mia..
I have done it with Jagermaister and Vodka few times. Promised myself never again. But Baileys there.. must try!

I used to make a pretty good, baileys chocolate souffle. That was some really tasty food right there.

DeletedUser74958

I consider myself quite versed on the subject of beer.

First, take a minute to make sure you're familiar with what a microbrewery is and understand what kind of product they produce. They are smaller breweries that are passionate about beer, producing specialized craft beers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbrewery

"The term "craft beer" may be taken simply to mean the opposite of "mass produced beer". Most mass produced styles of beer in the United States (e.g. Budweiser, Miller and Coors) share many common characteristics: they are brewed with significant quantities of rice and/or corn in addition to barley (some large beers manufacturers also use high fructose corn syrup); they are filtered; they contain chemical preservatives (with the exception of Coors) to compensate for reduced shelf life due to filtering; they are quite low on hops (15 International Bitterness Units or less); and they usually don't contain any flavor-related adjuncts. Conversely, many craft beers are unfiltered, bottle conditioned or cask conditioned, they normally don't use rice, and they may contain high quantities of hops and/or other spices."

Mircobreweries, in general, produce a much high quality product than mass produced beer (budweiser, stella, heineken, etc). They often have a large number or different styles they brew.

Who has the most microbreweries?

http://www.fermentarium.com/industry/beer-industry/which-country-makes-the-best-beer/

"Germany has the most breweries of any country in the world. According to the Brewers of Europe, Germany has 1,279 as of 2004. The United States only has 376 breweries according to the 2002 census. These stats come from different years, but it is unlikely that the numbers have changed significantly by 2007.

The big question mark is do you consider micro breweries in the equation. According to BeerTown.org, there are 1,377 microbreweries in the United States as of 2006. [estimated around 1500 now] The Brewers of Europe data notes when microbreweries are included. We are assuming that the German numbers include microbreweries. This means that the United States has more microbreweries than Germany has breweries. From this count, the United States wins again. Microbreweries are making the best new beers in the world."

and....

"Where are the new beers created?

A final consideration is which country is creating the most innovative beers. The European Beer Star awards are among the most coveted worldwide awards for the best and innovative beers. This competition hosted 575 beers from 58 countries. American breweries took home 22 medals, including 9 gold medal awards out of 40 categories. Germans took home 61 medals, almost all in German beer categories. Americans took home three medals in German beer categories. While the Germans took far more awards, their awards did not stray far from the homeland.

Most of the new and exciting beers are coming from America. Any way you look at the statistics, the argument can be made that the United States is making the best beer in the world."

Unfortunately, you likely won't find many of these brews outside the USA. The most widely distributed mircobrews come from New Belgium Brewery and Sierra Nevada Brewery. I guess Sam Adams is considered a mircobrewery, but quality-wise I put them more on par with the mass-produced beers. Goose Island was recently bought by InBev/AB, so maybe their distribution will spread.

When I first got into beer, I was a big fan of most of the Belgian offerings I tried (except Orval, ugh.) Tripel Karmeliet, St Bernadus Abt 12, and Brasseries Des Rocs Grand Cru are probably my favorites from there that I can think of off the top of my head.

But the USA just has SO MUCH to offer. Probably 500 widely distributed microbreweries, each with half a dozen styles or more. Some even specialize in the different Belgian styles.

Every time I go get beer I grab a couple 6 packs of something I've never tried before. Some of it is fantastic. Most is above average. Occasionally I'll run into the mediocre. But I'll put up our beer against any in the world, because I've tried the best from every country that I can get my hands on.

[spoil]
IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

[/spoil]

DeletedUser

Well obviously America has some quality beer. But they're also 20 times or probably more larger then us. Belgium for the small country it is has some excellent beer imo :icon_smile:

And its common for bars in Belgium to have over 50 kinds of different beer, and you'll find one in every town that has about 500 different kinds.

Also, we got a load of bars :lol: In a small town (Not even a city) like Mol where I live we got approx 90 bars for our 30000 inhabitants. Thats about 1 bar per 300 people... Including seniors, kids, etc...

And these are bars. Not restaurants or similar stuff where people also drink their beers... ^^

Wallam

Got a couple photo's from cambodia that are related that ill upload later now I am at home again.. :icon_wink:

P.S Lost 11kg in 6 weeks whilst I was travelling, just for the people saying that my face looks wierd when I post them. :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

Nice one Wallam, I usually gain weight on vacation =/
Their beer must suck then eh?

DeletedUser

I'm drinking a Sam Adams right now

you guys should also try a Summit Pale Ale - beer made by local brewery in St. Paul, MN - they have a nice variety including a stout that might as well be a soup (yum yum - seriously its good!)

Bud, Miller and Coors have only one difference - the breed of horse from which it comes

DeletedUser

If you're ever in Finland try KOFF, tastes like crap but after a couple you'll have great fun asking for 4 of them, ones also amusing.

Stella, Magners or Guinness for me.

DeletedUser

Wallam I don't recognize you anymore O_O
Also, if you drink that much you shouldn't lose weight =/ beer has plenty of calories to make you fat!
You must be throwing up... :icon_razz: Pussy.

DeletedUser99713

okay guinnes is the best beer and i am irish Lord war 98