the ultimate begginers guide

DeletedUser

wow i had to gather a lot of info from websites but i put this together. i belive every begginer should no these things. id also like to get this as a sticky if i can.

NOTE: INFO WAS COPYED FROM TW WIKI. NOT ALL OF THE INFO IS MINE.

FUNDAMENTALS
Imagine playing a sport; basketball for instance. Now imagine how difficult it would be to run the full court press or 3:1:1 defense if you had no dribbling skills. Or couldn't make a lay-up. Those latter two elements make up the fundamentals of the game. Like any game, TW has a set of basic rules and skills that must be mastered before going any further in the game. Without these fundamentals, a player is doomed to failure.
This might seem obvious, but many players have no real concept of the basic rules governing play: attacking with defense, or sending lc for support. Not using tech levels effectively, and mixed villages. Not knowing basic game vocabulary. The list goes on and on. A player MUST master every rule for his/her particular world before moving up the hierarchy

INVENTION
This is where the fun begins. You've just built your first academy. You notice others around you, perhaps some you're not particularly friendly with, jumping in points. it suggests they too have recently gained their academy. What do you do? You must make a decision based on solid ideas.
The term "Points don't matter, troops do," is often used in-game. This guide contends that neither really matter; they both take a back seat to ideas. Ideas in Tribal Wars are of paramount importance due to the fact that there are so many players doing so many things in real-time. Players who assess their surroundings, determine what other players are thinking and act accordingly will be far more successful than those who keep their nose to the ground. For example, how many times has the ubiquitous "Why did you attack me" message been sent in-game? Countless. And it's most always sent to the players who are inventive from players who are clueless. Players with ideas figure out who the clueless are and prey upon them.
The term "invention" can cover a broad spectrum of meaning. Here, I use the term "invention" to mean any plot, plan, operation or strategy that leads to success. But ideas and invention are nothing without information and a constant awareness of the changing winds within the game. Information gathering is the seed of invention. Without a solid foundation of information, ideas will never be born

RHETORIC
You've mastered the basics and even been perusing TWStats to view the latest nobling trends in-game for your area. You have three villages and you're looking to expand. A neighboring tribe has two players that each have three villages and they have been quiet for quite some time . . . so, you assume those two might be looking at you as their next conquest. You quickly assess the situation and decide it's either you or them. But you only have three villages to their six. You need help. You must go to tribemates or other tribes for help.
Rhetoric is the art of convincing and expressing one's ideas in a clear and meaningful way. A list of rhetorical devices would be a wise read for any thinking TW player. A lot of this game is talk and diplomacy. Persuading others that an idea is solid will help lead to long-term success.
Unfortunately, this is the one tier that requires the most talent and skill gained outside the game. If the player is not equipped with decent writing skills, or has no knack for successfully arguing a point, there's little that can be done to gain those skills while playing TW. As is often the case, many messages are sent with incorrect grammar, punctuation, and spelling. The use of Internet slang and abbreviations are rampant. The general incoherence is, at times, maddening. If a player cannot put a decent sentence together, he will be miles away from convincing someone to help him. The odd thing about "stupid" is that an idiot can easily discern between another idiot and intelligent person. In other words: stupid doesn't like stupid. So, if you're stupid or act like it, you will certainly not convince an intelligent player to follow you into battle and will most likely turn off the other morons as well. If you're stupid, I can't help you. Stop reading now, you can go no further. And please send me your username if you happen to play on the same worlds as me. I'd like to come visit.

WILL
Rhetoric requires the most out-of-game skill. Will is either mustered or mostly out of your control. There's two types of will in this game: your will and the will of others. One is something you must gather and the other is difficult to handle, but is somewhat manageable. The will of others is somewhat influenced by rhetorical skills, so this tier is closely tied to the previous.
What do I mean by "will?" Will, as defined here, is the "willingness" to take action in the game; how invested the player is in that action; the importance and priority the player places on an action and the game itself.
First: your will. This is simple enough: you must have the will to continue, to execute, to thrive. It sounds easy, but it isn't. If you've played TW for any length of time, you know what a grueling endurance contest it will become. Day in, day out. Farm, plan, talk, research, farm, attack, defend. And so it goes. Mix in a 76 hour siege here or a 56 village assault there, and you will begin to understand why the avid TW player has no social life.
A short aside here: personal will goes beyond the marathon of existing in game. Will is also concerned with your courage to make risky moves where others wouldn't. For example: the boldness to attack and clear in early game. Many are only "willing" to build steadily, adding only defense and worrying about offense and attacking later; perhaps after they've gained their academy. The will to break out of conservative play and take a more aggressive posture accepts a certain amount of risk. But it also comes with great reward. If the thinking player has mastered the previous tiers of the pyramid, then the will to take risks is a natural evolution to success.
Will could have easily been placed at the bottom of the triangle, but it's assumed the reader already has personal will to continue and do the right thing. No, this tier is mainly for the other guy: the player that must eventually execute your inventive plan; gathered you were convincing enough to get him to buy into that plan. And, as it was mentioned before, this is a difficult thing to control. The rhetoric may have been thick and flowery; the siren's song just right. But if those mates or allies are just not into it, or they have something better to do on a Friday night, you're basically screwed.

• Incentive. Mentioned before, but I'll say it again. You hardly ever get something for nothing. So, make sure a player gets something in return if they help you. Villages? Premium points (if you have money to burn)? A bottle of Johnny Walker? Whatever it takes if it's important enough.
  • Flexibility. Demanding all parties involved in a particular operation be available during a time and date set according to your schedule is sometimes untenable. This problem is multiplied every time another cohort is added to the operation. The best approach to coordinated attack planning is to simply survey the group. Find out when they'll be available. If someone has a trip planned or a major real-life event at the same time as your proposal, then modify the plan. Your ability to be flexible will carry much more cache than your ability to demand they all be available at a time of your choosing.
  • Threat. The antithesis of flexibility, threatening others to do your bidding sometimes works, but should only be used sparingly. It rarely makes friends, often creates grudges, ill-will and ultimately an unwillingness to help. But there are times when it's called-for. One example is when a very small tribe is sandwiched in-between two much larger warring tribes. If the smaller tribe is already having issues with your enemy, but is unwilling to retaliate, then a simple threat should always do the trick to get them to muster the will to help you.
  • Empathy. Attempt to understand why a certain player may not have the will to execute your plan. Are they afraid of the consequences? Are they unwilling to commit troops for fear of losing them? Your ability to do some root-cause analysis will allow you to rectify the issue. The sooner you know WHY a certain player doesn't have will, the sooner your chances of turning it around.
  • Time-out. If your faced with player fatigue, whether it be boredom, lack-of-sleep, etc, a good way to allow a player to regain the will to play is to offer to sit her for a few days. Give her the chance to rest up and feel refreshed. Sometimes all one needs is a few days off. Hopefully she'll return and find the will to continue.
EXECUTION
The final tier of the pyramid is the pointed dagger of execution. It's how you and your crew carry out your plan. It may be juicy with Machiavellian intent; The players are perhaps veterans well versed in the detailed fundamentals; All involved haven't felt the soft embrace of human interaction in months due to their fanatical devotion to the game. Yet, these elements mean little without proper execution.

• DO Coordinate Attacks. A friend of mine in-game reminded me just how difficult it is to take out a skilled, active player. He was right. It is indeed difficult. More difficult than one might think. If you disagree, try launching six nukes (full offensive armies) at a single village with four nobles right behind. Make sure it's about 10-15 hours marching time. A beginner might think: "well, that's going to wipe out everything he has, six or seven nukes. No problem." Well, somebody is going to get wiped out, but it's probably not going to be the defender.
  • DO Clearly Communicate. Some of the most elaborate plans may be undone by poor communication between participants. Step by step details should be expressed in the most simple, easy-to-understand instruction as possible. Even then, issues seem to always pop up at the most inopportune times. Here are some pointers on making sure the plan is executed properly:
  1. Remind participants of attack arrival time. Then repeat it again and again. Make sure to give everyone involved a time for arrival. Also make sure they know that's the ARRIVAL time, not the LAUNCH time. Sounds silly, but it's important. Then (and this is the important part), double-check launch times of some participants, especially if he has a history of screwing things up or you haven't worked with him before. I've had people with the totally wrong launch times convinced their times were right, until I had them check it again. Nothing is worse than having a train come in 45 minutes after a nuke. It happens, so keep in close contact to make sure to avoid such scenarios.
  2. Post claims lists with any additional intel. The typical process of a coordinated attack is to post a claims list of the target's villages to the tribe forum, a shared forum or via messaging. Everyone involved claims a village or four and that's that. What's not so typical is a corresponding scout report/history for those villages. Often, participants may be sitting on scout reports or other information that may be of use to the operation that he forgets to share. Make sure to ask for that info if anyone has it.
  3. Stay in contact shortly before, during and after the operation. The best way to avoid miscommunication and issues during an attack is to stay in constant contact with participants. The most efficient way to do this is through some sort of instant messenger (Skype being the tool du jour). If any unforeseen event happens (missed launches, confusion on villages attacked, etc), the issue may be immediately recognized and remedied.
  • DON'T be tricked by the target. This may be a little off-the-wall. Some players, when under attack, will attempt to contact participants to see if he can trick them into making mistakes or calling off their attack. I've seen people send sitting requests to attackers (will render them unable to attack for 24 hours). I've also had targets contact me personally with messages like: "I don't know why you're all attacking me. I was planning on giving you my villages anyway. I'm bored of this world. Call off your attacks, so you don't lose troops." The best policy in these situations is to inform participants to avoid any interaction whatsoever with the target.
  • DO provide a lessons learned after the operation. Almost never done, but the few times I've provided a re-cap of larger operations, all involved seemed to really appreciate it. Review what went right and what went wrong. People especially like when you focus on them individually and tell them how they brought a unique talent/skill/perspective to the operation. This does a couple things: it boosts morale and the willingness for those participants to join you in later operations and it also helps people to learn from their mistakes so they aren't repeated in later operations.
  • DON'T execute a plan until everyone is ready. Pretty obvious, but it has to be mentioned. A lot of leaders are gung-ho to march into an operation. So fanatical, in fact, they are unwilling to see that half their tribe isn't even ready for the operation. Scared from threats, many tribe members might send a half-cocked nuke just to say they participated. Bad idea. Simply put: make sure everyone is ready. Do a nuke/noble count. Make sure all is accounted for. As a thinking, thoughtful leader, you should be patient enough to wait until the moment is right.
  • DON'T give up. As often is the case, a botched or unsuccessful plan that reaps nothing in its process leads to the unwillingness to try again. That's exactly what the target wants: the ability to gain strength after an attack. Don't let up! Re-organize. Rally the troops. Give one of those Mel Gibson speeches where he holds up a sword or a wrench or something. But most importantly: invent! Come up with new ideas. Innovate based on lessons learned.

DeletedUser

Be careful of the incentive part in game forum posts though. I had a tribemate of mine get banned because she offered 5 premium points to the player that launched the most fakes. Some jerk, within our own tribe, copied and pasted the post and sent it to the Mods. She wound up having around 60 villages stripped from her and was so ticked off she quit playing.

DeletedUser

i just had to post this but you go on about grammar and spelling and yet you even mess it up. :icon_eek:

DeletedUser

thats because my keyboard sucks and plus i write in text sometimes.

DeletedUser

every player has that promblem so you can't rabbit on about it

DeletedUser

This isn't really a guide, but more of a review/preview of what you need to know when you play.

But it is a really good review/preview for players that still don't understand the fundamentals

DeletedUser

Be careful of the incentive part in game forum posts though. I had a tribemate of mine get banned because she offered 5 premium points to the player that launched the most fakes. Some jerk, within our own tribe, copied and pasted the post and sent it to the Mods. She wound up having around 60 villages stripped from her and was so ticked off she quit playing.

QFT

Yes, you must be careful. Premium points may not be awarded for in-game services, despite any attempt to make a contest out of said services.

Otherwise, a decent overview, but I agree, it isn't much of a "guide" in the traditional sense.

DeletedUser

im an expert at putting together guides and stuff. i can do some if you want.

DeletedUser

Yes, you must be careful. Premium points may not be awarded for in-game services, despite any attempt to make a contest out of said services.

I like incentives though so a work-around is offering them on Skype or something.

What I find funny is that it is perfectly legal, in-game, to extort someone into giving you premium points in exchange for NOT attacking them.

DeletedUser

I like incentives though so a work-around is offering them on Skype or something.

What I find funny is that it is perfectly legal, in-game, to extort someone into giving you premium points in exchange for NOT attacking them.

Actually, no, that isn't legal either.

Rule 8
It is forbidden to blackmail other players for premium points in exchange for not attacking them, or any other ingame advantage.

I Am King Cool

metallica229 you sir fail.
You've made like 3-5 threads on guides and they all suck, your an attention whore.

DeletedUser

Actually, no, that isn't legal either.

Rule 8
It is forbidden to blackmail other players for premium points in exchange for not attacking them, or any other ingame advantage.

They must have changed that because I recall seeing a Mod post something a while back saying it was OK to do that. Not that I would nor give in to anyone who asked me to do so.

DeletedUser

metallica229 you sir fail.
You've made like 3-5 threads on guides and they all suck, your an attention whore.

I'm guessing it's because you're too 'Pro' for these guides. Hint: It's hard to make guides for people that already know the fundamentals of the game.

I have no right to call you a fail though, simply because I don't know the alias' behind you.

Please do not call people a failure when you have no evidence that you aren't yourself

NOTE: INFO WAS COPYED FROM TW WIKI. NOT ALL OF THE INFO IS MINE.

You're question was answered before you even asked it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Am King Cool

I'm guessing it's because you're too 'Pro' for these guides. Hint: It's hard to make guides for people that already know the fundamentals of the game.

I have no right to call you a fail though, simply because I don't know the alias' behind you.

I'll respond to this later.

DeletedUser

They must have changed that because I recall seeing a Mod post something a while back saying it was OK to do that. Not that I would nor give in to anyone who asked me to do so.

As far as I can recall that has always been the rule.

DeletedUser

Please do not call people a failure when you have no evidence that you aren't yourself

You're question was answered before you even asked it.

I never asked a question. I said stop polluting the forums with topics already on the forums and already on the wiki. What's the point? We don't need 2 topics for something already here, we don't have 2 world 42 forums, 42A and 42B. If he wants to spam guides do it in one topic!

These multiple topics being openend is just annoying especially when they're already posted on the forums, and on the wiki, and could be spoilered into one post.

Edit: He also claims some of the info to be his. Having written a guide myself if he ripped someone's days and hours of work claiming partial credit it's just downright annoying

wow i had to gather a lot of info from websites but i put this together. i belive every begginer should no these things. id also like to get this as a sticky if i can.

Hmmm he wants a sticky? Don't we all.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Am King Cool

I never asked a question. I said stop polluting the forums with topics already on the forums and already on the wiki. What's the point? We don't need 2 topics for something already here, we don't have 2 world 42 forums, 42A and 42B. If he wants to spam guides do it in one topic!

These multiple topics being openend is just annoying especially when they're already posted on the forums, and on the wiki, and could be spoilered into one post.

Edit: He also claims some of the info to be his. Having written a guide myself if he ripped someone's days and hours of work claiming partial credit it's just downright annoying

Hmmm he wants a sticky? Don't we all.

He was responding to me :p
I'll make a response in a sec.

DeletedUser

wtf-1.jpg