Top 5 leaders

deadsocks

I don't think the "topic" is something that needs to be placed on a podium, with every post contributing precisely relevant to it as if we were all writing tiny essays. I think as long as we keep it within the boundaries of intelligent discussion... e.g. not upsetting people, attacking people, or complete jibberish... that it should be tolerated.
Most of the users of this forum are suffering from the condition of being human, we're gregarious by nature and we seek discussion and interaction. Just making a statement for us is never enough, we love having someone comment on our input... from there, the conversation evolves and branches off.

And just like our forum threads, language evolves. Much like Tubby, I hate when someone uses a word in a way that I'm not used to. But I wouldn't go as far as to say my way was the only way or the right way. I respect other people's incorrect opinions concerning linguistics, as I understand that all the words I use now were once part of another language which have since been bastardised and salvaged into what I recognise as modern English.
Even my first and last name are nothing but mis-spellings of French words. >.>;

I feel like I could write several paragraphs, but as I'm probably risking deletion anyway, I think I'll just go with "duke Nonsou FTW!!"

DeletedUser54677

I hate to derail and belabour this point but I have studied language all my life and these sorts of things bother and fascinate me at the same time. Just because a bunch of people misinterpret a phrase does not mean that their misinterpretation is valid. People misuse the phrase "beg the question" all the time. How about "I could care less"? I hear that daily and people actually mean the exact opposite. Or my new favourite, anyone who uses the word "literally" as a synonym for "actually". These are not regional differences. These are people spouting catchphrases without understanding the meaning of the words.

I have spent the last 20 minutes researching this and nowhere can I find an instance of "roll with the punches" being used in the manner you guys think. I would in fact argue that the phrase implies the exact opposite of what you say. IE you absorb the blows (literal or figurative) without dishing out anything in return. Especially when applied figuratively. If I've had a run of bad luck because my boss is a jerk, my dog died and my wife left me for another man, one could say I'm 'rolling with the punches' by staying positive and trying to make the best of a bad situation. Punching my boss in the face or slashing my wife's tires isn't 'rolling with the punches'. It's revenge. I think there is an implicit pacifism inherent in the phrase.

Perhaps the confusion arises in the fact that in the case of TW, making the best of a bad situation could involve actually hitting the attack button when someone else is attacking you. But the underlying principle isn't that you are attacking back, it's that you are dealing with adversity in a positive way. It just so happens that in the case of TW that may involve an actual counterattack.

From the OED:

"f. to roll with the punches (and varr.), of a boxer: to move the body away from the opponent's blows in order to lessen their impact; fig., to adapt oneself to difficult circumstances, take troubles in one's stride. [early citations:]
[1941 F. GILMORE Push Yourself iv. 27 In boxing it is called 'rolling the punch' when a boxer, not having time to avoid being hit, deliberately moves with the punch when it hits him.] 1951 J. J. WALSH Boxing Simplified viii. 32 In an actual bout he will not have so much time to roll with the blow."

In case you couldn't tell I love grammar and linguistics. Feel free to ignore this and carry on with your arguing if you do not share my passion :D

Stop by Seattle sometime. That's the main use of the phrase 'round heah.

For example, a chip in the UK is a french fry in the US. Regional interpretation. It's true, it's not a phrase, but it's about the same purpose.

DeletedUser

Stop by Seattle sometime. That's the main use of the phrase 'round heah.

For example, a chip in the UK is a french fry in the US. Regional interpretation. It's true, it's not a phrase, but it's about the same purpose.

Im barely sure Ive heard that its now named *freedom fry* cause of some retard politician:lol:

DeletedUser

I find it humorous that you compare the OM leaders to dictators, and in the same breath you talk about how Manic had that leadership. If any leader on W24 was a dictator, it was Smurf-.

To each their own.

Wow......where do you see where I said Manic had that leadership? I mentioned that at one time they worked well together....but that was it.

As far as Smurf...I never mentioned him. I was commenting on Stachehater. However, now that you bring Smurf into the picturre....yes, he was a dictator also. But, if you look back at my post...you'll not see me mentioning him as a leader.:icon_neutral:

slowdowntubby

Just got back from a 3 day comic-con and am pleasantly surprised to see (some) people agreeing with me for once :)

I was going say that Rukoh.

If your want to quote something STD at least know the correct meaning.
If you studied language so much you would be aware of the actual use, and yes it does make sense.

I'm not sure what you're on about...

Suppose I say something like "I could care less about TW because it's a crap game". This statement is obviously non-sensical. Parse the words and you should be able to figure that out.

One might argue that people who say "I could care less" are being sarcastic. Call me skeptical but I do not really think this is the case.

@amy

Language is funny. And you are right. Words gain meaning (and their meanings change over time) through repeated use. Words and phrases go in and out of fashion and their meanings sometimes change to suit the times. In just about any other scientific discipline that I can think of, this is absurd. For example, if a large enough group of scientists posit that dinosaurs never existed because the bible says so, that doesn't make it an empirical fact.

However...

There is a big difference between etymology and ignorance of a word's meaning. Words evolve in both spelling and meaning but that doesn't mean that anything goes. For one, it typically takes a long time for the evolution to occur. Secondly, there is always a logic behind it.

Take the word 'magazine', for example. In the 16th century this word had one meaning: a building or storehouse for military stores such as weapons or ammunition. One can see fairly easily how this would later come to describe the metal receptacle that holds ammunition in automatic weapons. How 'magazine' came to describe a periodical print publication containing information is a little trickier. But if you take the base meaning of 'magazine' as a container or storehouse for something, you can at least see how it could over time come to be applied to a storehouse of ideas, as it were.

In this instance you have one word that has three distinct meanings, one of them drastically different from the other two. But you can actually trace a line from one to the next and see the logical progression. It is fairly rare for a word like 'magazine' to go from having one meaning to having the exact opposite. In fact I can think of no examples of this.

There is no logical progression from "I couldn't care less" to "I could care less". One means one thing and the other means the exact opposite. It's just plain stupid. I liken it to people mishearing the lyrics to a song. Jimi Hendrix didn't sing "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" regardless of how many people sing that as they air guitar to Purple Haze.

On a side note, if this topic gets deleted/infracted/locked/etc I would consider that a pretty sad indictment of these forums in general. If the level of discussion really has to consist solely of people making top 10 lists or people arguing about stats (because that's all that the rest of the topics are, frankly) then I'd be pretty disappointed. It's bad enough we can't post questions asking how the rules are enforced. Don't take away our semantic arguments too :)

Therefore, in order to keep this within TW norms, I will say that cgopie couldn't noble his way out of a wet paperbag, storm are a bunch of huggers, and deus is the scariest family world 24 has ever seen. Just look at how quickly they nobled all my barbs!

number18

"Could care less" versus "couldn't care less", I always assumed that "could care less" was an Americanism, bastardising the English (UK) expression.

It's an expression that seems just wrong to me, ask Todd, Charles etc I regularly make a point about it. :icon_redface:

In terms of the "roll with the punches" expression, I see that as an expression that is used to describe a situation when someone is having a hard time/ under duress, but is able to keep their chin up/ maintain a healthy disposition. For me it's a defensive sitiuation rather than an attacking one.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Couldn't care less = doesn't care.
Could care less = does care.

Unless it comes from someone who speaks English as a second, or other language (ESOL), this should not be an issue. If it does, then gain context from the rest of what they have said.

Can we please now put this trivial matter to rest? :icon_neutral:

number18

Can we please now put this trivial matter to rest? :icon_neutral:

Trivial, I must assume English is your second language, apologies if this is not the case.

I am assuming you meant to write off-topic, it has an entirely different meaning, pm me, I can explain the difference. :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

emoticon-0113-sleepy.gif

DeletedUser26129

The curse of world 24 huh? cant ever keep a topic on topic :D

Well, my top 5 is the following:

#1, Gzed.

I have never made it a secret that i believed that Gzed was the best leader i ever saw, really looked up to him, and if he didnt step down, he would now still be a world leader, without a doubht.

#2, daholla.

V-V-V is still by alot of people seen as the best war tribe in this world, ofcourse you need the right members for that, but members alone cannot make a tribe that succesfull, you need a great leader aswell to bind it all together..
Daholla was a great leader, and a fun guy to talk to, eventhough we were enemies, i still loved talking to him, and i never seen a first timer go that far.

#3, Smurf-.

Everyone hates him i know, and yeah you can say that manic needed all 3 to be succesfull, but fact remains that river was such a great leader, everyone followed him blindly, his knowledge of this game, and his ability to make strats were amazing, and he could have been the perfect leader, if he would have only understood the power of diplomacy.

In his eyes diplomacy was for the weak, and this game was about killing everyone else.
With that ability i dont think anyone would have been better.
He was here 17 hours a day, creating new ways to keep the tribe interested, creating new strats and plans to kill an enemy faster.

#4, wizzie.

Wizdom cant be left out, eventhough we have our dislikes towards eachother, and eventhough i think he became a tad arrogant, he has every right to be, awesome leader, and skilled.
Did a great job so far, and im positive that he will always do that.
Great qualities of a leader are in him.

#5, KK (NUB!)

Eventhough KK and me disliked eachother at start, we valued eachother aswell, or atleast i did, he did great, and knew exactly what to do in what situation (that was when i was still here, havent followed this world for nearly a year)

Everyone one of these leaders i would be honoured to fight under at any time, i underestimated some of them, and payed the price for it.

Good luck to everyone that still plays!

deadsocks

There is no logical progression from "I couldn't care less" to "I could care less".
I hate when people say that with all my little brain... but in North America, it's a common figment of speech.
If you think there is no logical progression, consider the following:
- "I could care less" could be considered sarcastic rather than literal.
- Even though the person using the phrase could care less, the amount of care may still be very small.
- Words and parts of words are often missed out when it is presumed that everyone knows the given meaning. For example, in Japanese, it is common to leave out the subject of a sentence... In french, the "ne" from "ne *verb* pas" is sometimes skipped... and in English, "homophobic" is short for "homosexualphobic".
- I could care less.

But. I am way glad to see you KG :D how's the dutch mafia goin'? I didn't see you like... forever...

I must say I agree with the statement of your opinion concerning Smurf-... diplomacy is for the weak. But part of TW or any strategy situation is assessing your own weaknesses. That's why sensible players join tribes... alone, they have a highly reduced chance of success in the game.

Last edited:

DeletedUser54677

#5, KK (NUB!)

Eventhough KK and me disliked eachother at start, we valued eachother aswell, or atleast i did, he did great, and knew exactly what to do in what situation (that was when i was still here, havent followed this world for nearly a year)

Everyone one of these leaders i would be honoured to fight under at any time, i underestimated some of them, and payed the price for it.

Good luck to everyone that still plays!

Bite me, porkster! :icon_twisted:

emoticon-0134-bear.gif

DeletedUser

Wow......where do you see where I said Manic had that leadership? I mentioned that at one time they worked well together....but that was it.

As far as Smurf...I never mentioned him. I was commenting on Stachehater. However, now that you bring Smurf into the picturre....yes, he was a dictator also. But, if you look back at my post...you'll not see me mentioning him as a leader.:icon_neutral:

I just find it amusing you can seriously write something bad about another leader, because you feel he's a dictator, and in the same post say something good about the Manic leadership and Smurf-. I agree Manic had their moments, but that was because Manic had KG/Deb to make up for Smurf-'s. Just amusing, is all :icon_biggrin:

fadarofthedarkblade

Not in diplomacy KG that was all you. like everyone has said u each helped eachother. he may well have been the war and planning guy but you were diplomacy and peace guy. and deb was make everyone smile :) together you were a great team

DeletedUser44759

Even my first and last name are nothing but mis-spellings of French words. >.>;

Wow! This threw me a bit was it from chaussettes mortsde ? I decided not, so I thought some more and realised "de de soc" translates as "of the ploughshare" more or less, so dedesoc must have been the compressed version, then being bastardised into deadsock? So finally TW has turned ploughshares into swords?

p106.jpg

and to stay on topic I'd give Gzed all top 5 leader places..:icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

I just find it amusing you can seriously write something bad about another leader, because you feel he's a dictator, and in the same post say something good about the Manic leadership and Smurf-. I agree Manic had their moments, but that was because Manic had KG/Deb to make up for Smurf-'s. Just amusing, is all :icon_biggrin:

Well, maybe it's because I'm trying to find good in everyone. Not one person I've ever come across has been totally bad. Heck...they can always be used as a "bad example'....LOL But, I don't mind being critical about some aspects of a person's style but also give kudo's where it's deserved. Heck.....I may have left Manic on a sore note....but even I know they accomplished something very few tribes have ever accomplished. They were hated and feared by almost all the world and nobody took them down except internal problems. That has to count for something.

DeletedUser

Wow! This threw me a bit was it from chaussettes mortsde ? I decided not, so I thought some more and realised "de de soc" translates as "of the ploughshare" more or less, so dedesoc must have been the compressed version, then being bastardised into deadsock? So finally TW has turned ploughshares into swords?

p106.jpg

and to stay on topic I'd give Gzed all top 5 leader places..:icon_biggrin:

there's way more then 1 word in french to say Deadsocks,I honestly dont know wich one socks was talking about,but im pretty sure it wasent chaussettes mortes. :icon_wink: