Tribal Wars Orphans

• Thread starter Deleted User - 4669627
  • Start date

DeletedUser13939

Luckily for you, I like messing with the merge feature. ;P

I must say though, I love the idea behind the creation of your tribe. It's rather interesting and I will be keeping tabs on this myself.

DeletedUser

Shahyd, the company I work for is DAI, which I'm guessing you've heard of.... and we do have one project there now.

Deleted User - 4669627

^^ r u with the cia? :icon_neutral:

jk, read the wiki criticism from the venezuelan attorney

though

"Prior to enrolling in the M.P.A program at Harvard in 1969, Sweet had spent five years working in Vietnam for both International Voluntary Services and the United States Department of State."

that is intruiging

tbh i have not actually heard of them, but it seems the project your company was carrying out in Sierra Leone while i was involved in humanitarian affairs there was an accountability project in the government, as opposed to starting a medical center for example
i am not suggesting that starting the medical center was in any way better, just explaining that it was a different circle i moved in, hence why i had not heard of your company while there
i will speak more on Leonean book-keeping, accountability and our basic view towards the latter which differs considerably from Western "economic theory"
in fact, this is the biggest issue with Westerners trying to help SaLone, not only our accountability, but our entire view on the matter
i will expand on that when i post our budget, hopefully

anyway, thank you for mentioning it, seems like a unique company in many ways
you said you work for them, but apparently they are employee owned?
i would like to know more about your company from somebody actually involved in it, and i would also like to discuss, perhaps debate some ideas
as i said, it seems to be a unique organization, part charity, part entrepeneur endeavour, with very strong government ties
but this is not the venue for that chat, that would need to be in off topicaaa i think, or skype

once again, ty all for all the respect, and thank you dk for merging my posts :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

I told people when I was in college that if I ran into them years later and claimed to be working for "a pharmaceutical company", that meant I was with "the Company". Alan Gross was just released from Cuba -- they'd contended he was CIA also. As far as I know, there's no actual connection, just rumors and innuendo.

Yeah, we don't do anything in the medical arena, so it is completely separate communities.

Yes, it is employee-owned. There are a lot of employees and I'm approaching my third year, so I don't even know how small the fraction I own is, percentage-wise. I'll chat more in-game. Thanks.

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
the first time i got on the internet with a computer that operated on windows (i am old enough that the first time i was online windows did not exist)

Windows predates the internet as we know it.

Windows came out in 1985. It was originally an OS Shell for MS-DOS. In the 80's the internet was something I doubt you had any access to because it only existed in select universities.

Even in 1994 only 3% of American classrooms had internet access, by which point Windows had seen numerous releases.

PS: Please teach that American (I assume it's an American anyway) that there's more than two words in the English Language. I swear all he does throughout the entire video is repeat the words "Very good".

Deleted User - 4669627

fyi alie is holding the "camera" (his laptop) while i speak from it
that is how it appears i am there

[12:33:02 PM] Lisa-Jane: he said 'praise God ' too
[12:33:06 PM] Thallasian: i am guessing he is speaking very plain english
[12:33:15 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: he said 'praise God ' too
[12:33:19 PM] Thallasian: so the Young man will understand him. cus they do not seem to know much english
[12:33:23 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: i am guessing he is speaking very plain english
[12:33:25 PM] Thallasian: men*
[12:33:42 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: so the Young man will understand him.alie does
[12:33:50 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: and alpha was not bad
[12:33:58 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: you could see he understood most of what i said
[12:34:05 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: and i spoke slow and clear
[12:34:12 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: and used small words yes
[12:34:14 PM] Thallasian: indeed
[12:34:25 PM] Thallasian: personally i wouldnt bash anyone for trying to speak English clearly
[12:34:26 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: and alie only needed to confirm to him that he understood me correctly
[12:34:38 PM] Thallasian: i Think it is much easier to write, read and speak English than it is to listen to
[12:34:45 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: i could have spoke krio
[12:34:49 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: and they could have spoke krio
[12:34:53 PM] Thallasian: that is why i Always got A in those and not in listening (chuckle)
[12:34:55 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: and that video could have been nonsense
[12:34:58 PM] al haji rasul al masiha: to all of you
[12:35:09 PM] Thallasian: indeed

Windows 3.0, released in 1990...is the first Microsoft Windows version to achieve broad commercial success, selling 2 million copies in the first six months.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14]

Ina Fried of CNETremarked that "by the time Windows 95 was finally ushered off the market in 2001, it had become a fixture on computer desktops around the world."[SUP][16][/SUP]

[/SUP]

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Windows 3.0, released in 1990...is the first Microsoft Windows version to achieve broad commercial success, selling 2 million copies in the first six months.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14]

Ina Fried of CNETremarked that "by the time Windows 95 was finally ushered off the market in 2001, it had become a fixture on computer desktops around the world."[SUP][16][/SUP]

[/SUP]

Something need not achieve broad success to exist.

DeletedUser

I remember dialing in to Compuserve to read the world wide web. Man, those were heady times. In the late 80s and early 90s, I think most of us only dialed into bulletin boards.

Now I'm all nostalgic for my Amiga 3000.

Deleted User - 4669627

ty sidd

alie was on over the weekend, we discussed the budget, i will be able to post it soon
he was unable to log on to forums, wednesday he will try to bypass cached files and download another browser if needed
he wanted to post here, just technical difficulties, but the people in the group chat were still able to see him and help us work out the budget
he might not have time to post here wednesday, but certainly next weekend

DeletedUser110464

ty sidd

alie was on over the weekend, we discussed the budget, i will be able to post it soon
he was unable to log on to forums, wednesday he will try to bypass cached files and download another browser if needed
he wanted to post here, just technical difficulties, but the people in the group chat were still able to see him and help us work out the budget
he might not have time to post here wednesday, but certainly next weekend

Sounds like you'll have more bills now to pay (think)
[video=youtube;_IrQHeDcMi8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IrQHeDcMi8[/video]

And for the record I still don't support things shahyd does ingame, but if he can get this going still props to him for actually doing something positive in the real world.

DeletedUser

strangest thing seen for a while. Tribalwars orphans? Not sure if serious?

DeletedUser95593

Don't teach them to play tw, teach them to dance!

DANCE LIKE NO ONES WATCHING SHAHYD

Deleted User - 4669627

:)

it is africa choco, they do not need to learn to dance, it comes naturally
but you did give me an idea for an addition to the karoake thread :icon_idea:

alie was able to work out his connection issues, i expect he will post here this weekend himself

DeletedUser

Hello everyone out there thanks you all for your time that you are thinking about us in Africa i will post more later:)

Deleted User - 4669627

the pivotal part of this proposal was the education we could provide that no primary schools (or even secondary schools when last i was there) are able to offer kids in sierra leone
we planned to start with 4 kids and have 8 total within the first year
we planned for the orphanage to require about $250 a month for the first 6 months

we have since revised our plan

instead of starting the orphanage at this time, we will be offering this education to more children at a lower cost
we will be teaching at an existing school, school starts next month in the freetown area
we will be able to teach about 30 kids this way, starting within a month
the cost is 5,000 leones to charge the laptop and 15,000 leones for internet
this will cover a couple of hours a day, 3 times a week would be 60,000 leones per week
roughly 270k leones per month plus $65 for alie to host the video chat and translate as needed

basically, we will teach 7.5 times the amount of kids for half the cost ($125 a month) and much less involvement and responsibility

we will record some classes and post them here, as well as other school functions, sports, band, etc
the first classes will focus on english of course, we will teach songs and read stories and simply talk with the kids
as the kids' abilities in english improve rapidly, we hope to conduct a play in the summer

at the moment we have a skype chat with 15 people who are welcome to teach the kids as part of this program
if the program becomes serious, if there are committed teachers (1-6 hours per week) and people watching the videos we post, we will then purchase a couple of computers, a generator, fuel and internet to the school so the kids can begin using computers, instead of simply video chatting with us (looking at a computer and speaking to it)

soon i will ask dk to change the title of this thread
for now we are calling the new program Tribal Wars Academy, but we are looking at other possible names
since we will be working with an existing school, not starting our own orphanage
since we want to appear respectable to the school staff, we might steer clear of the whole "Tribal Wars" part of the name
perhaps Teachers Worldwide will replace it and we will keep the TW part of our name

Last edited by a moderator: