TribalWars Comunity Server!

• Thread starter DeletedUser121307
  • Start date

DeletedUser121307

It's also very easy on Skype to mute a chat unless someone mentiones certain keywords.
Discord lets you Mute individual Servers, individual channels, individual tags (@everyone, @here, @yourname), and even mute individual people.

https://gyazo.com/6c158d8295302359df7b95b82465aa67

It's also easy to avoid certain individuals in this community on Skype, it wouldn't be on Discord if just anyone can join.
not anyone can join.. thats only true for THIS server, as it is a public community server. you can set up your own server (which is braindeadly easy btw) and have your own rules and ranks etc. only people you grant access will gain access.
https://gyazo.com/eb36ac163ae56a6f8fa747efa572d51a
and if you want to avoid sertain people, then block them, and they wont be able to contact you, or anything.
https://gyazo.com/0ec107770f2ff45f49c0215108ea3621
and you dont like that people can DM you without adding you? well, there is a setting for that too..
666f88fec1e9e01e107bcd11111a5e76.png

It's also easy to avoid everyone on Skype by appearing offline if you want to be, while still playing something on Steam. Discord would show me active on Steam playing games. Useful for when I don't mind, but annoying for when I do.

"Discord would show me active on Steam playing games."
4fea8fb86d76ffc123c0857db7a2a68f.png

"Skype by appearing offline if you want to be"
0f38a6cdb9296287e9c9ec966e9b946c.png

skype is old, and outdated. EVERYTHING skype does, discord does, and it does it better, and it does more.

Last edited:

Apathetic h0llygh0st

Consumer of Beverages
Reaction score
Okay, again then. What is Discord offering me that I don't already have?
Nothing. If Skype was so lacking we would have left long ago, but it does what it needs to do...

Ibra Gonza II

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
As I said. Facebook syndrome :p

I'm not going to give any further details. Everyone has their preferences based on needs. Your needs require you to only have Skype and Discord is not needed and I certainly am not trying to push you towards Discord, in case you were thinking that. I understand your choice for Skype.

I simply disagree with calling Discord inferior to Skype (or even not accepting that Discord beats skype as a general service) as that's certainly not the case.

A small recap:
Yes, skype fits your needs probably perfectly so there's absolutely no need to change, but Discord just is better in general (manageable, voice chats, more reliable services, ...)

In your example:
Linux is better than windows. Most people with a little knowledge in IT will agree to that. But it doesn't mean you need it. And that's exactly the point I'm making here.

So I think we slightly misunderstood each other with you thinking I tried to convince you to go away from skype (not the case :p ).

Apathetic h0llygh0st

Consumer of Beverages
Reaction score
Indeed it did come over that way, it's the same with Apple and Android. Or Linux > Windows > Apple
Skype does all it needs to do, we have no need for further optimization or settings imo.

I hope your project has some success, once TW dies it might be important to keep in touch with people.
But for now there is no need for us to change over, and the majority feels that way. So don't be disappointed if you don't gather as many people as you'd hope.

DeletedUser121307

its kinda like comparing windows XP to windows 10... sure, windows XP has all your needs, but really? windows 10 has so much more..

when i chose applications, or software, i look for whats objectively better. im already looking into setting up my system in such a way that i can easily boot between win10 and linux, and the only reason i want to keep win10 is for comparability, as linux lacks comparability with some programs and games. i also used Mac for 2 years, and its alright.. i mean, its simlpe, and it has some neat features that windows doesnt have, but it lacked a lot of the features i found essential for me to drop windows 10.

i was an apple user, and had a long discussion with someone who was an advanced android user, and he kept throwing arguments at me that i was unable to argue against.. so as a result, i decided to try the Galaxy S6, and im never going back to apple. my friend was right. i wanted apple cause i was used to it, but now that i know the pros and cons of both sides, id easily recommend android over OSX.

unless you know NOTHING about tech.. in which case, sure, go apple.. iphone is easier than android, but andriod is a lot more flexible.

DeletedUser93439

What I dislike about discord is very simple. I get added to twenty servers with about 10 - 15 highly active text channels each. On Skype it's one chat/window, on discord I have to go into the app itself and hope to track the ones I want to read. I'm not sure if you can make separate windows for this, but by now, I'm too lazy to find out and just dropped using it.

DeletedUser121307

What I dislike about discord is very simple. I get added to twenty servers with about 10 - 15 highly active text channels each. On Skype it's one chat/window, on discord I have to go into the app itself and hope to track the ones I want to read. I'm not sure if you can make separate windows for this, but by now, I'm too lazy to find out and just dropped using it.
thats a choice. 1 server per tribe, just like 1 group chat per tribe on skype.

difference is, you can split that 1 server into many channels, some for serious matters, and casual matters. some for information from the council, etc.

and you can set notification settings for each of them..

so the announcements channel you get all the notifications
in the serious matters channel you get notification if someone mentions your name, or tags everyone with @everyone, meaning they likely need your attention
and completely mute the casual conversation, but still be able to join inn every once in a while.

and on top of this, all the other extra features you get..

so its kinda like the internal tribe forums actually.. :eek: but with the ability to have very fine control over what stuff you get notifications for.

and voice channels ;) which i can tell you, once easily available, will be used a lot more than you think.

DeletedUser93439

This is about a little more than just tribalwars.
yg1Wc.png

I am interested in more than just one or two here, so that is just... well... annoying.

DeletedUser121307

that is the weakest argument you could ever have proposed..

1. that server is massive, 3460 members ONLINE, meaning they have to split sertain channels into 2-3 channels each so multible sets of people can talk at the same time.
2. its a modding discord, meaning there will be a lot of channels as they cover a lot of games.. unlike 99% of the cases where only 1 game is covered.
3. its easy to set it up so that you can leave and join channels as you please, they just decided not to do it. look at this:
https://gyazo.com/1fdaa1ed639fcd546478828a0804cd55
4. it is extremely easy.. look: just hide all the stuff you dont want..
https://gyazo.com/bacf510ca268cb151bda664bf5089125

also, sidenote. those channels will only be visable for as long as you are on the nexus mod server... click on another server, and you wont get notifications, no popups, nothing..

lets say i only care about Skyrim and The Witcher... boom easy. can you do this in skype? ehh, nope. not even remotely close.
bd2e4e267fdcd1f928b5ca76bc984622.png

Last edited:

DeletedUser93439

It is not an argument. It's simply me being too lazy to want to go through more effort than what I can do on skype. It literally shows the separate window I want to see. As far as I'm concerned, Discord is just an advanced IRC.

DeletedUser121307

https://gyazo.com/a38d176a0c2dc9a6957195e2147afb51

how about putting it this way, this is what you do to get going, and you get 1 text channel, and 1 voice channel, and you are good to go.
however, with the OPTION to take it a step further..

you dont HAVE to make it complicated, but it sure makes it more convenient once ur done.

its not advanced at all, you are just too stupid to figure it out. its actually VERY easy to use, and extremely simple, there is a reason its the #1 program for comunities and voice calls atm.

just cause it has a lot of features does not mean its "advanced"... spend 5 minutes and you already know enough to use every feature skype provides, but spend 2 days to learn everything you can do that skype does not.

DeletedUser93439

I read and I weep. You call me stupid for saying Discord is, in my opinion, an advanced IRC. Then you proceed and call MSN the "good days". You probably have no idea what IRC is or you'd at least understand where I get that from.

And it's not the number one worldwide. Only for gaming purposes, maybe, but worldwide for all intents and purposes I assure you that it isn't. A lot of professionals (not just IT people) still use Skype and other more specific programs that cater more towards conference calls.

DeletedUser121307

Marcus, MSN was good for its time.. but it stopped updating, and skype came along, which at the time was miles better than MSN, which explains why MSN died in the first place.
the same comparison can be said for Discord vs Skype.. Skype hasent updated in years..

and it is number 1 world wide if you count usage.. ofc skype has more installations cause its freaking owned by Microsoft and they try to make people use them.
also, isnt it a freaking shame that skype still runs adds? jesus, its a freaking shame..

and yes, i call you Stupid, if you call Discord "advanced", cause it is nothing but advanced.
download Maya, then talk to me about "advanced" programs.

DeletedUser121307

or pardon.. if ur 50+ then i take it back, ur not stupid.. ur just not capable of adapting to modern software, which is not your fault.

DeletedUser93439

Marcus, MSN was good for its time.. but it stopped updating, and skype came along, which at the time was miles better than MSN, which explains why MSN died in the first place.
the same comparison can be said for Discord vs Skype.. Skype hasent updated in years..

and it is number 1 world wide if you count usage.. ofc skype has more installations cause its freaking owned by Microsoft and they try to make people use them.
also, isnt it a freaking shame that skype still runs adds? jesus, its a freaking shame..

and yes, i call you Stupid, if you call Discord "advanced", cause it is nothing but advanced.
download Maya, then talk to me about "advanced" programs.

MSN went to shit and it was never really good. Not even for its time.

Show me a source for that. A credible one. (A+ scientific publication)

learn to read ánd write first, then check what I'm calling it, then proceed to laugh at your own screw up there.

DeletedUser121307

and the reason MSN was good at the time, was that there was no other option.. the first vesion of anything is rarely any good, skype took the concept of MSN and made it better, Ventrilo made their own thing focusing on voice only.. Teamspeak made a hybrid between Skype and Ventrilo, and Discord made a hybrid between Skype and TS3. it is EXTREMELY difficult to make such a program, and be successful, cause noone wants to change program once they're used to something, and got all their contacts on one platform.

the reason discord was successful is because skype is garbage.. so people were willing to swap.

its just like facebook, the moment a new facebook comes out, that does everything facebook currently does, FB will die in a snap.
its why i liked when he called it the "facebook syndrome", sticking to what you know.

DeletedUser93439

How is that a credible source? The people who reply to LTT are essentially the geeks of this generation. Heck, my roommate who works in IT doesn't watch anything by LMG, he absolutely loathes Linus' voice.
They're a tech channel, but they're more the frankensteins' cyborgmonster version lately.