Troop Manager - Decomission Excess Troops

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black-Bird

Reaction score
Greetings!

When dealing with managing troop templates across many villages, for various reasons like emergency snipes, changing troop templates, existing recruitment orders queued when nobling new villages, etc, excess troops occasionally pop up in the village that don't match up to the template currently assigned to that village. I've been using various combinations of groups and mass-decommission orders to tackle this issue, but figured it would be nice if troop templates had the option to auto-decommission excess troop counts themselves instead of having to monitor for this on a regular basis?

When the farm fills up for example, the troop manager stops because of these excess troops taking up space resulting in the build not being fully completed. This means that you essentially need a group per troop template and then cycle through them regularly to check if farms are full, then wait for all those troops to be decommissioned and then reset that template afterwards when space is available in the farm again.

1627989557871.png
A checkbox like this could be placed in a similar location:
1627989597406.png

This could activate at the end, when the template realises that the troop template cannot be met and that there are troops belonging to the village that don't match the template so it decommissions them to make space to complete the template, or it makes this check at the start and first decommissions the excess troops and then starts working on completing the template assigned to that village.

Don't know if this has been suggested before but had a very brief look and couldn't find it, so figured would post just in case.

- Art

One Last Shot...

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Anything that adds more automation isn't something I feel benefits the game. I've voted no as I don't think it is in line with the direction I feel TW should move in :)

DaWolf85

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
One question I have is, how would this interact with the farm space buffer? Would it decommission until you're below the buffer, or would it leave well enough alone when you're at an acceptable number of troops, but don't have your full buffer available?

Black-Bird

Reaction score
Anything that adds more automation isn't something I feel benefits the game. I've voted no as I don't think it is in line with the direction I feel TW should move in :)

Well, the idea of this is automating something quite mundane, a quality of life change if you will. It usually only affects a few hundred units' worth of pop space at most, but is still a nuisance to police for if you want your templates fully optimised. If the the building templates remove excess building levels, why not remove excess troops? Going through many tens, if not hundreds of villages and doing this manually is not the most "fun" aspect of the game in my opinion, but to each their own of course. As I mentioned in the original post, I tackle this with a combination of groups and mass-decommission orders at the moment, which requires a bit of setup to make it manageable, but also uses a not insignificant amount of time to do regularly

One question I have is, how would this interact with the farm space buffer? Would it decommission until you're below the buffer, or would it leave well enough alone when you're at an acceptable number of troops, but don't have your full buffer available?

The way I see it, the buffer just always maintains X amount of available space. Assuming a buffer of 400 pop space for example it would make sense that once the template hits 400 available space left, it could then run a check to see if there are excess troops. Say it finds 56 spear fighters while the template only recruits axes, light cavalry and rams. It would then decommission these 56 spear fighters, recruit the 56 pop space back until the 400 available space limit is reached and then terminate if it cannot proceed any further or the template is matched. That's how I would envision it

Black-Bird

Reaction score

Though, in the situation where the template is activated with a buffer of say again 400 pop space, but the space is already occupied and only 200 remains, it would make sense that it decommissions the excess that does not match the template. For example, if the template is recruiting only 6500 axes, 3000 light cavalry and 250 rams then finds 6700 axes, then would make sense that it decommissions them back down to 6500 freeing up that excess 200 space. Or at least, decommission as much as it is able to match that buffer. However, if the space is occupied by noblemen, a paladin or buildings for example, then the template would terminate as normal as it cannot proceed

DaWolf85

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
I think as described this would be totally reasonable to add. As mentioned in the original post this already exists for the construction manager. Yes it's automating one more thing, but it's automating something that is not skill-based in any way, it's just busywork. And we could all stand to have less of that in this game.