Unethical Tactics

GhengissKhann

Is it just me or are people these days using more and more unethical tactics to gain the upperhand? (lying, impersenating, creating fake documents etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

GhengissKhann

well recently I agreed to sit someone and a guy impersonated him on a skype account, don't know how he knew how long he was gonna be away cause that was my question to confirm it was actually him. so the people that did it *COUGH*COBRA*COUGH* have no respect from me anymore

GhengissKhann

I wouldl like to clear things up, it was not all of COBRA, just 2 members

DeletedUser

The truth is, TW players have been doing stuff like this since the beginning. Some of the greatest TW players made names for themeless because of their incredible ability to get players to do anything for them, like let them account sit only to find the next day that their tribe had been disbanded.

As unfortunate as it may seem, in the end its part of the game. If you want to really prove your worth, you don't need to hype yourself up on the externals, all you need is a high ODA rank.

GhengissKhann

not hyping myself up, pointing out the fact that people are being idiots and that the fact that they do dirty things will eventually lose them the respect they may or may not have from ODA rankings

DeletedUser

all you need is a high ODA rank.

I'm going to have to disagree. All ODA proves to anyone is that you are probably lucky enough to be on the outskirts of your tribe, thus allowing you to attack people often. It could also mean your tribe has had a war or is in a location that they did not secure with low effort. It could mean you play the game a lot compared to others. Perhaps the people you attacked were bad at keeping their walls high. Etc forever.

However to be on-topic, I agree that players will go to any length to hurt other people and/or tribes, be it for tactful purposes, to get a laugh out of it and to show it off to your friends, or to just be a jerk. I feel that it's also a community problem. There are those who find it hilarious that an experienced player asks to join a newbie tribe, gets in, demands privileges, and then deletes their forum and/or disbands the tribe. The same goes for working your way up a non-newbie tribe or convincing someone you're their in-game friend and sitting them because you know they have privileges you can screw with.

And since I'm on this rant, I feel the need to mention that unfortunately there is a little something called "honor" lacking in many people/tribes. NAPs basically stand for "we don't want to deal with you right now but we intend on killing you when we have the spare time" and alliances are there until you decide there's a bigger benefit in killing your "friends" than working with them.

And I bet I've lost 80% of my readers by now, but must we really rely on macros/scripts/programs to do trains and sniping for us? Where is the point of a computer playing the game for us? A money (Premium) buying the upperhand? :icon_sad:

DeletedUser

this only a game!

That is one of TW's greatest 'Over Quotes'.

And it really grinds my gears! The fact is, people who say this are usually in a poor position and use their 'awesome RL' to make up for this :icon_neutral:
It annoys me, because the fact is - we pay money to play this (premium players) and we put time into it, so we expect dividends. Free players rarely get far, and to them - it's just a game. But no way is this just a game for me. It's a source of enjoyment as well, but i don't spend hours on TW to be told 'chillax dude, s'juss a game'. If i wanted to play 'just a game' then i'd go on Kongregate. Get over yourself, some of us put more into this than others and for those of us who give a toss;
This isn't just a game - this is an investment

DeletedUser

to a certain extent i agree with you there. I myself am a premium player but in my eyes its a game. Once minute i can be on top and the next im back down to 0 points. Sure its a kick arse moment and its not right but in the end you can't do nothing about it as you can't make them villages reappear. We are investing into TW but its a bit like stocks and shares where there are a lot of problems and as soon as something happens to that certain place then you will lose everything. Do you give up when this happens? No! ofcourse not as its your life.

DeletedUser

I'm going to have to disagree. All ODA proves to anyone is that you are probably lucky enough to be on the outskirts of your tribe, thus allowing you to attack people often. It could also mean your tribe has had a war or is in a location that they did not secure with low effort. It could mean you play the game a lot compared to others. Perhaps the people you attacked were bad at keeping their walls high. Etc forever.

I certainly don't wan't to go starting a flame war, but what you just said sounds frighteningly like the words of a point whore. First, its not about being lucky to be on the outskirts of your tribe. Thats the position that also gets hit the hardest in wartime unless you are aggressive enough to eliminate treats first. Secondly, you obviously should have a high ODA if your in a war b/c otherwise you are sitting around letting your tribe do the work for you. And thirdly... as far as I am concerned playing the game more than others is good... if you are a serious TW player, you play more often, and ODA is a sign of that.

So basically, ODA shows that you have the balls to fight, that you are active, and that you shouldn't be messed with cus you obviously have the firepower to take out your opponents.

DeletedUser

And it really grinds my gears! The fact is, people who say this are usually in a poor position and use their 'awesome RL' to make up for this :icon_neutral:
It annoys me, because the fact is - we pay money to play this (premium players) and we put time into it, so we expect dividends. Free players rarely get far, and to them - it's just a game. But no way is this just a game for me. It's a source of enjoyment as well, but i don't spend hours on TW to be told 'chillax dude, s'juss a game'. If i wanted to play 'just a game' then i'd go on Kongregate. Get over yourself, some of us put more into this than others and for those of us who give a toss;

Agreed.

Even though I am Not a premium player, I dont think TW is just a game, its Fun.:icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

I certainly don't wan't to go starting a flame war, but what you just said sounds frighteningly like the words of a point whore. First, its not about being lucky to be on the outskirts of your tribe. Thats the position that also gets hit the hardest in wartime unless you are aggressive enough to eliminate treats first. Secondly, you obviously should have a high ODA if your in a war b/c otherwise you are sitting around letting your tribe do the work for you. And thirdly... as far as I am concerned playing the game more than others is good... if you are a serious TW player, you play more often, and ODA is a sign of that.

So basically, ODA shows that you have the balls to fight, that you are active, and that you shouldn't be messed with cus you obviously have the firepower to take out your opponents.

I kinda disagree.

What if your in a war, but your too far to attack someone.
What about players who likes to be defensive?
They didnt proved themselvels yet?

Im just saying, having an ODA is great but it will not prove that you are worthy

GhengissKhann

as for proving your worth...I think it comes down to who can manage their troops and villages the best they can throughout the game. Whether that means going full defensive and getting people to attack you or being plain good at faking and nobling people with little troops loss.

DeletedUser

Is it just me or are people these days using more and more unethical tactics to gain the upperhand? (Cheating, lying, impersenating, creating fake documents etc.)

In my opinion, as long as it isnt cheating, ANY tactic is fair game. If the game was about picking a tribe at the beggining, sticking with it til the bitter end and simply sending nukes at one another, it would suck. All the darker, more underhand tactics make the game a lot more interesting and enjoyable. Without it spying, lying, manipulation, double crossing, intimidation, propaganda etc etc... You might as well watch a timer run down, then click recruit, repeat.

DeletedUser

Well, before I say anything, I just wanna say i have an awesome RL. Hahahaha. Ive been premium for years until maybe a month or two ago. Ive put plenty of money into it, but you still need to chill out. Most things in life really shouldnt be worried about. Tribalwars is one of them. Its just a game. But, this is also coming from a guy who's had cops on his tail and thought it was funny :p

DeletedUser

Moved to this section because a lot of the off topic stuff is interesting and I'd rather keep it than delete half the thread :icon_redface:

I'll reply in a bit

DeletedUser

NAPs basically stand for "we don't want to deal with you right now but we intend on killing you when we have the spare time" and alliances are there until you decide there's a bigger benefit in killing your "friends" than working with them.
NAPs have and always will be just delayed war. The sooner you understand that, the better :icon_wink:
Come to think of it, I've honestly never heard of a NAP that hasn't ended in war.

ODA is a fickle thing. If you don't have enough people rail on you for not being agressive enough. On the other hand (this applies more to early world) people will also critisize you for having to much ODA. My co-player and I on W36 had high ODA really early on (We got a milestone for being 3rd to 50k ODA) and people said we wouldn't last because of it. I haven't played that account in months now but last I checked it was top 20 so I think that speaks for itself. ODA shows that you're using your troops.

People with super high ODA won't have as many troops as other players though. Look at Random. They've been troopwhoring and preparing for a while and you guys started to notice a slowed growth in their tribe whether is was points/ODA/etc. They probably got a nice boost now though :icon_eek:

One way to maintain really high ODA and still have plenty of offence to throw around is to build a greater ratio of offence to defence villages. One such player on W23 built his villages in a ratio of nearly 10 Off: 1 Def. If I remember correctly he was rank 1 ODA for the longest time before getting co-ordinated on by another tribe and his lack of defence killed him :lol:

I apologise if I've rambled on and some of it doesn't make sense :icon_redface:

GhengissKhann

I heard about that 10:1 offensive player...now who was it that told me about him...i forget

DeletedUser

NAPs have and always will be just delayed war. The sooner you understand that, the better :icon_wink:
Come to think of it, I've honestly never heard of a NAP that hasn't ended in war.

ODA is a fickle thing. If you don't have enough people rail on you for not being agressive enough. On the other hand (this applies more to early world) people will also critisize you for having to much ODA. My co-player and I on W36 had high ODA really early on (We got a milestone for being 3rd to 50k ODA) and people said we wouldn't last because of it. I haven't played that account in months now but last I checked it was top 20 so I think that speaks for itself. ODA shows that you're using your troops.

People with super high ODA won't have as many troops as other players though. Look at Random. They've been troopwhoring and preparing for a while and you guys started to notice a slowed growth in their tribe whether is was points/ODA/etc. They probably got a nice boost now though :icon_eek:

One way to maintain really high ODA and still have plenty of offence to throw around is to build a greater ratio of offence to defence villages. One such player on W23 built his villages in a ratio of nearly 10 Off: 1 Def. If I remember correctly he was rank 1 ODA for the longest time before getting co-ordinated on by another tribe and his lack of defence killed him :lol:

I apologise if I've rambled on and some of it doesn't make sense :icon_redface:

Meh. I'm a noob and i still get ODD. :icon_eek: