Village name restriction

Discussion in 'Questions' started by mors_sum, Apr 28, 2007.

Share This Page

1. mors_sum

mors_sum Guest

I've got a question...
    Why have the requirements for village names changed? I can no longer use []!: etc in my village names, it says "name contains invalid characters". This is really annoying me and I see absolutely no logical reason for it, it was working fine before.

2. Milen

Milen Guest

This is for security purposes.

3. exception

exception Lead Game Developer

Because some players used special chars to create "invisible" village names, we had to switch from blacklist filters to whitelist filters.

4. Huh? Weird. One of my villages is this: ๑۩۞۩๑ Minas Tirith ๑۩۝۩๑

5. mors_sum

mors_sum Guest

Is there any way some characters can be allowed while still banning special characters? Every single one of my villages is [number] before the village name, and now when I get new villages I can't add the square brackets, but my old villages still have them. Also, what's the issue with having invisible village names as long as the co-ords are still valid?

6. lipe44

lipe44 Guest

It makes a lot of things crazy like incoming attacks, looking for a village. It confuses a lot and give an advantage to the player.

7. Solid_Air

Solid_Air Still Going Strong

Surely the character list should simply include the characters on you're keyboard only? I mean whats the point in having the use of those characters, if you're banned from using them because some kid knows how to code his village name so that you cant see it?

Would a better solution not be to simply ban the guys at fault, and stop tarring all of you're customers with the same stick?

8. lipe44

lipe44 Guest

Until find each single person breaking the rules the damage would already be done.

9. mors_sum

mors_sum Guest

What damage? Sorry, but if you can't attack a village from it's co-ordinates, then why are you playing the game? Also, if everyone can do it, I fail to see how it is an "unfair advantage". I've been playing on Die Stämme for two years, and we've never had these issues there.

10. Boom_Flame

Boom_Flame Guest

This rules just breaks my current villages names...

I base my village names on a book which uses special characters...

Can't you just find the players abusing the rule, put consequences on them or something, or just make a new rule?

I liked the old system, and I have seen people abusing this. I just put their co-ordinates in the map and I found their village...this was on W6, at least.

But still, is there any way to compromise to make it work or is it going to stay this way?

11. lipe44

lipe44 Guest

It can confuses a lot people that arent so experienced or have to do things fast. Anyway its against rules...

12. Solid_Air

Is it against "rules", to name you're village using the characters provided on you're keyboard?

The features of the game are there for using, not to be disregarded, so why give idiots(sorry for the bluntness, but i feel that such restriction is wholly unnecessary, and unwarranted, given that most of the TW customers enjoy being able to use certain characters when naming their villages, in order to have a neat, or at least easy-on-the-eye appearance to their villages list), a helping hand?
    You're meant to play TW, not have TW played for you. And if removing people from the game, or dishing out punishments for village names, language useage, abuse, cheating, resource swapping, are too much for you to be able to handle, perhaps there is a need to get more staff members/moderators, no?

13. ColbyWolf

ColbyWolf Member

I'll add:

< and > and _ to the list.

it'd have been really nice to have been told about this.
    and to get a list of all the restricted characters.

and to retroactively change other villages names ([ --> ( etc )

14. lipe44

lipe44 Guest

They will probably edit it but for now it will stay like that.

15. Solid_Air

Since we're naming actual characters....

/ < > | ~ ^ _ { } [ ]

Probably more too, but i cba checking... theres only 2 of the above that i'd use anyway.

16. lipe44

lipe44 Guest

If are only those it makes no difference to most people, the only one i see that is used is []

17. Solid_Air

Only ones that i truely want to use are | and {}.

But thats just it. Its the little things that matter for most things in life, whether they are especially significant or not matters very, very little.
    We should be informed of such changes, and "server updates" just doesnt cut it. If i pay for something, and dont cheat, or break rules, or anything of the sort, i see no reason why i should be tarred with the same brush as the cheaters and hackers, and rule breakers and the sort.
    All they are are characters, and there is absolutely no reason for them to be restricted, just to avoid having to ban people.

18. mors_sum

mors_sum Guest

I'll add to that :!, and those are just the ones I previously used in my villages.

I hope they can find a way to ban the characters that are causing the problems and leave the others open for use. However, if not, then I would prefer to have people exploit it and get my old village names back. I agree with Solid_Air, it makes very little gameplay difference and people need to get over it. At some point you have to draw the line and stop treating people like babies.
    Maybe have a script that checks village names, and warn anyone with illegal characters, and if they refuse to change it then punish them in some way? Or, preferably, ban only the characters that are causing problems. I think it is clear from this thread that the userbase don't like being punished for the actions of a few, and we want the old system back, or if that is considered to be too difficult for people who don't know what co-ordinates are, then find a better solution that a flat banning of most characters.

I would also point lipe44 to http://forum.tribalwars.net/showpost.php?p=224634&postcount=4 - people do use these characters.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2007
  19. porre

porre Guest

They banned a lot of characters. Is impossible to use letters with diacritics like ç, ã and õ. My villages names are in Portuguese and use only letters from the ISO-8859-1 charset. This can be read in any browser!

20. lolk.madhu

lolk.madhu Still Going Strong

Players already have that...(Wanna find out who, contact me..:icon_rolleyes: )