W60 Player Made Maps

DeletedUser

No offense but you need to choose colors a bit better. I dunno if you color coordinate by tribe or not because Kraig/BK/myself are similar in color and are close to one another and HTM/TJ are nearly indistinguishable.

It may just be this monitor but you've done it before with tribe maps.

DeletedUser105228

Hey, stop hating. I think your doing a great job. Keep it up <3

DeletedUser

I'm not hating, it's a trend that appears in Thana's maps.

Only problem has been in the players maps. I haven't done a master list of colors for them either. I could just slap together a top 5 and it's easy to look at but nothing worthwhile information wise. I'll try to get something together for it.

DeletedUser

Redid all the colors to try and get contrast on neighbors. If you cant tell whos who I give the eff up. I hate doing cluster maps because tribemates get intertwined and the top 20 are all in 4 tribes :p

[spoil]
w60-7-10-12-top20players-1.jpg

[/spoil]

DeletedUser

@ theticklemonster82. Eek
Easy on the drop shadows bro. Try reducing the offset and opacity, and pay more attention to layer order. Arrange so that the drop shadows are under all tribes, not between them.
eg.
what you have -----------> what you should have
tribe 1______________________tribe 1
drop shadow 1_______________tribe 2
tribe 2______________________tribe 3
drop shadow 2_______________drop shadow 1
tribe 3______________________drop shadow 2
drop shadow 3_______________drop shadow 3

Also, your gradients are way over the top. You don't need a rainbow splash across every tribe, a small variation is all that is needed to remove the flat colour and make it more pleasing to the eye.
Try and make your gradients consistent. I like to use radial gradients, and always take them from the center of the map to the edge.

@ Thana. A few pointers.
Stop saving as .jpg, your image quality is poor, especially noticeable when you look at the text. Try .png for much better results.

Photobucket isn't great, but one of the few that allows you to upload .gifs. I use imageshack for my .png maps.

About your animated map. There really is no reason for the file to be that large. You only have about 5 real frames, and then ridiculous frame transitions. All flash, no content.
I try to use no more than around 3 frames to transition between each frame of actual significance. A map such as yours should not need to be more than about 20 frames total. Also, you aren't optimizing your file, causing it to be many times the size it needs to be. I'll give you an example of one of my recent animated maps, that is more frames than yours, larger dimensions, yet half the file size.
[spoil]
63toptribesandplayers13-7.gif
[/spoil]
If you want to do timelapse maps, try and keep the gap between each frame constant, below I have examples of both a 2 week gap over a year, and a map that tracks a current war daily.
You can use this site for your base maps, you don't have to regularly generate your own.
[spoil]
legend.png
timeline.gif
[/spoil]
[spoil]
riotvsimpact16-7.gif
[/spoil]

I don't mean to get on both of your cases, I just want to help you learn.

[edit]Oh, and don't forget to date your maps, and always save the construction file (.psd, .xcf or whatever).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thank you knight, I didnt even know there was a site like that. Ill play around with it some.

DeletedUser

Can we get a new map to show what the world looks like before the war?

I would do myself but no so sick nasty on the map skillz