Warning! When getting a co player..

DeletedUser

Thought i'd post this here seen as the amount of people asking for co players

Its come to my attention and I'm sure alot of other people have noticed the same thing...

The amount of 'hacks' or 'new' members asking to co play accounts. Remember these people may not be who they seam.

A while back i tried out a new co player which went badly wrong, resulting in my account being banned, I will not discuss the nature of why it was banned but it was my co player and not me.

Just remember when you give your account password to someone else you are not only giving them access to your account, you are giving them ownership!

To quote servy from a old support ticket i dug out..

servy said:
Hello fordy-089,

When you gave the other player the password to your account you transfered ownership of the account to them, and as such the player has every right to use the premium points on the account as they are his to use.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, we appreciate all players that help keep our game running without rule breakers. I have investigated and taken the appropriate action.

Sincerely,

Servy/Aaron
Administrator

&

It is not hacking when you give someone else your password. When you give someone your password you are transferring ownership of the account to that person which includes the right to change the password. If you have access to the account's email you can revert an email change and reset the password, as has been said. If you don't have access to the account's email, or don't revert the change within 14 days (after which the email change can't be reverted) then it is no longer your account.

There are no circumstances in this situation in which a moderator would intervene. If you have access to the email you can recover it yourself; and if you don't then it's not your account (at least not anymore).

If you are unwilling to give up full ownership of an account, which is to say you want to ensure that you will always be able to play it, you shouldn't give others your password, especially anyone you can't trust fully.

Precautions to take

- If the player made a forum account the same day as asking to become your co player, the chances are there not as experienced as they are making out.

- Speak to them on skype/IRC to find out more about them and there character, Its easy for someone to lie about there personality and what there like.

- Make sure they know the rules of the game. You don't want to log on one day to find your account has been banned because your new co didn't know the rules. (test them if you have to)

- Ask around your TW friends if there known.. TW is like a community, people put alot of effort into this game you don't months and sometimes years of your life wasted by the haste to get with the trend and get a co player.

- Don't give into peer pressure from the person you are interviewing to be your new co. The kind of things you get "can i just log on for a minute to have a look at the account" Remember a minute is all it takes to change your password.

- Keep your TW password different to your personal passwords, such as your email/facebook. Some people have the same pass for everything. If this is the case you could be giving your password away for your life!

- If you have to start a new world with your co to see what there like just so you can see how you work together. This gives you a chance to see there skills in game and to check its not all talk

- Finally, take your time when choosing a co player, don't rush into handing over your password, remember you have spent alot of time on the account and you don't want it ruined in a matter of seconds by making a rash decision

* These are just some examples on how to go around getting a co player, feel free to add more advice on how to protect a account *

** Please bump this thread so other people can avoid losing there account **

DeletedUser56488

Don't give into peer pressure from the person you are interviewing to be your new co.

Someone tried to do that to me once.
He gave me some listo of big experience and he tried to act really good etc. So i told him to prove it was him by joining w50 and mailing me. He said he couldnt do it. He tried to bully me into by saying i will hunt you down on every world you join and kill you etc. but i just told him if he cant prove that the account was him he could bug off. =]
:p

DeletedUser

Yeah I had a theft attempt directed at me once, with the 'can I just log a minute' thing. The guy sent out his farming raids (in a very noobish way, losing me a group of 30 or so lc because he 'assumed that a good player would have cleared his 15 x15). I wanted a co-player badly so figured I could tell him how to do things properly over time, even though he was obviously overstating his own abilities saying stuff like 'we will get rank 1 in no time with my super farming'.
Then a few hours later he logged on, logging me off, without saying anything. I logged him off, he said he was 'just going to check something'. I told him not to log me off without asking first, he says ok. A bit later he did the same thing. I changed my pass, and asked around a bit, and sure enough, he was already known as a tw scammer/pp thief etc, so I changed the email, and changed the pass again.
Asking around is probably the best advice here, especially if you like me are sort of gullible (there were plenty of signs, I just didn't want to see them)

** Please bump this thread so other people can avoid losing there account **

Eh? There you go :p
I believe there is a sticky about 'hacking' in one of the general forums as well. I appreciate your motives, but do we really want a thread like this on floating up here on the world forum forever?

DeletedUser

Eh? There you go :p
I believe there is a sticky about 'hacking' in one of the general forums as well. I appreciate your motives, but do we really want a thread like this on floating up here on the world forum forever?

I made a post like this in the co player section of the forum. When there were about 5 top 100 accounts took in the space of a few days. As this is a 'newbie world' it may take them a while to find that part of the forum so they can see it here

DeletedUser

/bump

And yeh I think it is a good idea for Fordy to post this here aswell, the more people who find it the less people that will get hacked.

mattoematt

/bump

can we just get this sticky'ed please? :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

Yeah if you want it at the top let's have it stickied, eternal bumping is ridiculous . . .

DeletedUser95739

Don't give into peer pressure from the person you are interviewing to be your new co.

Someone tried to do that to me once.
He gave me some listo of big experience and he tried to act really good etc. So i told him to prove it was him by joining w50 and mailing me. He said he couldnt do it. He tried to bully me into by saying i will hunt you down on every world you join and kill you etc. but i just told him if he cant prove that the account was him he could bug off. =]
:p

Hoorah. Once a person issues empty threats you've already won. Good for you!