what country am I?

DeletedUser

Blue you cheat!!!!!!!!!

stop googling the questions and guess like a normal person :lol:

DeletedUser

I'm not normal and I'm proud of it. The rules do not say not to research.

DeletedUser

researching is encouraged! it's not like I know every single info I put on here :lol: I'm not putting info as it is though, so you can't just put in the sentence and get a result.

In any case, I will start to make things more difficult!! that way you will need more than a few clues to actually know which country I'm talking about :D:D

DeletedUser

IIIIIIIIIIIIRELAND, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRELAND....

yeah, you get the idea.

DeletedUser

IIIIIIIIIIIIRELAND, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRELAND....

yeah, you get the idea.

no offense but I doubt that Ireland's quality of life index is very high....what with the IRA and the huge debt...then again if your blitzed all the time I guess the quality of life must be on the higher end XD

DeletedUser

Slightly offtopic for now, but hey: If you check the quality of life index, you might be surprised to note Ireland's position. Also, the (R)IRA are not as big a threat by any stretch as they used to be, and even still, all actions they commit take place either in the north or in Great Britain, both of which are in the bounds of the UK, rather than the Republic of Ireland. Thirdly, let's take a look at the QoL factors:

1. Health: Life expectancy at birth (in years). Source: US Census Bureau

As a first world country with a decent health service, the oldest generation are living easily into their 70's, most at least into their 80's/ The current average life expectancy of the world is listed as 67, the current life expectancy in Ireland is 79.

2. Family life: Divorce rate (per 1,000 population), converted into index of 1 (lowest divorce rates) to 5 (highest). Sources: UN; Euromonitor

Due to the remnant influence of the Catholic church in ireland, while divorce is legal, it is still not an option that many take. In comparison to the UK, for example, we would definitely have a much lower rate of divorce.

3. Community life: Variable taking value 1 if country has either high rate of church attendance or trade-union membership; zero otherwise. Source: World Values Survey

Similar to the above, there's still a very high rate of church attendance and, given the amount of strikes they're constantly organising at the moment, there is evidently a very high membership rate in the Unions.

4. Material well being: GDP per person, at PPP in $. Source: Economist Intelligence Unit

Ireland is a costly place to life, especially in dublin, thus, we earn quite a lot as well. While this doesn't make us "rich" (in fact in many ways it makes many poorer :p), it still means we earn more in order to account for the inflation.

5. Political stability and security: Political stability and security ratings. Source: Economist Intelligence Unit

The same political party has been in power for the last 20 or so years. While that may change this month, the political system is going nowhere. Democracy for all, unfortunately.

6. Climate and geography: Latitude, to distinguish between warmer and colder climates. Source: CIA World Factbook

Temperate zone, rain, mild weather, Green everywhere... Ireland is known as one of the most beautiful countries in the world, so this is not surprising.

7. Job security: Unemployment rate (%.) Source: Economist Intelligence Unit

Due to the low population and the relatively high amount of jobs available, unemployment is generally low. Obviously the recession will have affected this, but similarly will it have affected everywhere else.

8. Political freedom: Average of indexes of political and civil liberties. Scale of 1 (completely free) to 7 (unfree). Source: Freedom House

Any changes to the constitution of the republic must be passed by referendum, which is a lot more than many other countries, like the UK, can say. Similarly, with the fading of the churche's influence, there is no censorship anymore (really), and apart from the generally illegal stuff like drugs, people can pretty much do whatever they want. if there is one liberty that doesn't exist in the county, it is the civil union of gay couples, that's about it.

9. Gender equality: Measured using ratio of average male and female earnings. Source: UNDP Human Development Report

Irish women are... well, generally strong willed. It's not something a patriarchal society could get away with for long!

Hope that answers your question :p

Oh, and btw:

Rank↓ Country or territory↓ Quality of Life Score (out of 10)↓

1 Ireland 8.333
2 Switzerland 8.068
3 Norway 8.051

6 Australia 7.925

13 United States 7.615
14 Canada 7.599
15 New Zealand 7.436
16 Netherlands 7.433

29 United Kingdom 6.917

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well researched, Pet.

HANG ON A MINUTE! A troll in our competition?! Albeit a most delightful troll, but a troll nonetheless. Hmmmmm... Is this a collaboration to bring in an outsider so one of the male species can actually score a win?

DeletedUser

New Zealand

Pet: Those rankings are from the 5 year old Economist Intelligence Unit's Quality of Life rankings. You may want to revise them. More recent Quality of Life rankings from various global organisations have a much different result. ;)

Two of my earliest TW friends are Irish and they're two of the best people it has been my pleasure to meet. I kinda hope your guess is the correct one.

DeletedUser

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sir is awesome!

I've been dying to go to Ireland for some time now with my grandparents who have family over there. However due to various reasons (the recent recession not being the greatest nor the least reason why) haven't been able to.

and oh yes I heard it was quite beautiful and a very very friendly place. I didn't think the life expectancy was that high but it usually is pretty high in europe...and I always knew it was due to her strict irich catholic upbringing that made me go to church almost every sunday when I was younger :icon_redface:...and due to the #9 reason I was unable to get out of it and niether was my poor grandpa who only went to please her. wonderful woman though :).

I was always told though that it was rough living there due to the taxes on damn near anything and the high cost of living there. and due to the recent changes I figured that the quality of life wouldn't be as high.

DeletedUser

New Zealand

Pet: Those rankings aren't from the latest Quality of Life rankings. You may want to revise them. ;)

Two points to note there: 1) I realise those rankings are from 2005, they were however the rankings that came up on wikipedia. my source may be wrong, but if my wrong source is the same as hrgos' wrong source, that doesn't exactly matter :p

2) New Zealand, while it would be a wonderful place to live, is two islands, not one!

DeletedUser

According to wikipedia: 'New Zealand is an island country in the south-western Pacific Ocean comprising two main landmasses (the North Island and the South Island) and numerous smaller islands.' [italics added]

I suppose it depends on the sources hrgos used. It will be fun to see if it's either of these or .......

DeletedUser

Clue #1: I am an island. - not an island country. France is a continental country, and yet it is not a continent :p

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see! I did think about NZ and japan for similar reasons, but discounted them both by way of the fact that both are technically two islands.

DeletedUser

We're not usually too technical unless it's a horrid stat debate. I have another guess that on further consideration I would have used instead of NZ. Too late now. Editing a guess is forbidden. <sigh>

I just realised I edited my guess post to add to my note to you. :(

DeletedUser

the competition is heated up! I love it!!

just to clear things up:

1. If a country is made up of more than one island, then that's fine, the reason being most island countries have smaller islands that are part of them and since I don't know what country has how many small islands, I wld still count a country like new zealand as an island.

2. blue, I will still count your guess, the reason I put the editing rule is so ppl don't go back and change their guesses only to have posted before the person who actually guessed it first.

3. I wld never reveal my sources :D:D:D:D

DeletedUser

Hmm, that means it's not Ireland or NZ? intriguing...

Blue, I have a niggling feeling that we're both now thinking of exactly the same place...

DeletedUser

Ooooh when can I make my next guess?! Dare I set a Reminder to be awake and sneak on before Pet gets here....

Rethink: guesses haven't been counted until hrgos posts that the next clue is added, so NZ and Ireland are still in for the running.