What is the Ultimate Question?

cemblin

Reaction score
TW doesn't seem the appropriate forum to get too carried away with dealing some of the ignorance and ridiculous statistical 'evidence' used on this page, but I will argue with the following;

This is not about stereotypes... but specifically in the "inner cities", there is a cultural problem... that no one seems to want to recognize. And unfortunately, to many want to place blame - rather then find solutions. They quickly say, "Their ancestors were brought here as slaves against their will!" So what? Even if it were to be true... we are many generations down the road now.

What happened to America the "Great Melting Pot"? A place that the past didn't matter... but a person earned their own respect for their actions... or condemnation as the case may be? All lost to "cultural sensitivity".

I agree that find it easier to place blame, or use social or racial stereotyping to discount problems as opposed to finding root causes or solutions. This thread highlights that. I really do think that education and early-age upbringing are the major culprits. If you are brought up in an area surrounded by poverty (by American standards anyway, I suggest you all come and live in Ethiopia/Kenya/Uganda, where I've been for the past few years if you want to really know poverty), low employment and reliance on social security, followed by an education in an inner-city school, largely attended by children with the same background and experience as you, then it is safe to assume that you will not break out of this cycle simply because you do not see the alternative, and have not received the information necessary to 'better yourself'.

The 'American Dream', whereby everyone can be President/high-flying business simply does not exist in deprived inner-city areas and is in some ways discouraged by middle-class America. Why should they have to compete with a new set of better educated and therefore competitive inner-city 'minorities'.