What makes a good tribe leader? (HONEST THOUGHT)

fosmore

Reaction score
What makes a good tribe leader? How long is a piece of string?
If you started with things like moral courage, determination, smarts, a presence few have, persuasive, motivating, craft knowledge, big planner, instinctive, good communicator, innovative, strategic and so on you might start scratching the surface. I think the answer is different for everyone. Ask yourself what kind of leader would you follow and there's your answer (assuming you're not covered in wool and have standards).

DeletedUser121383

What makes a good tribe leader? Me.
How long is a piece of string? 1cm.
If you started with things like moral courage, determination, smarts, a presence few have, persuasive, motivating, craft knowledge, big planner, instinctive, good communicator, innovative, strategic and so on you might start scratching the surface of all my traits.
I think the answer is different for everyone. Smart people will say me. Idiots won't.
Ask yourself what kind of leader would you follow and there's your answer, it's me (assuming you're not covered in wool and have standards).

Quoted and changed from post by Grenade Launcher.
Thanks to Grenade Lancher for actually contributing to the discusion. See post above.

DeletedUser110019

umm someone that can bring all the toxic players under 1 banner and than get insulted till they win, now that's a real leader

DeletedUser118016

I've found a few key things that seem to help. My time leading the last three Worlds I've played (W63 - Base; W80 - WGGF/Sinister; W86 - Fatal).

1. Communication (with your members)!! Each leader really should be making an effort to talk to and try and know each of his members. What's their situation? Do you know what they plan on doing moving forward? Who are their closest friends in and out of your tribe? What do they like and dislike about your leadership/tribe?

I guess with the above mentioned questions, you can really gain a sense of skills and strengths from your members, AND, foresee any future problems. This allows you to push your strengths, and nip problems in the bud. Too many times do we see tribes full of excellent players fall apart due to leadership failing to iron out a problem that could have been fixed before it snowballed.

2. Recruitment! How do you feel about the person you're recruiting? They might be great at the game, but can you handle playing with them for long hours, DAILY, for months on end? Often not, which means that you're likely not the only one who will discover these feelings. Nip it in the bud and try and not recruit someone who is intolerable, unless you're prepared to follow them around easing all the tension they cause. Positivity produces a happier and harmonious team.

3. Remain calm at ALL times! Rage divides, and you don't need that when trying to be a cohesive whole. If you feel so inclined to have an outburst on a screen, to someone else on the other side of the world looking at a screen... then take 5 and a coffee, or a beer! ;)

4. Ultimatums - do we need them? People will always react better if it isn't 'mandatory' or an ultimatum. Are you prepared to carry out your 'threats' of them not participating? Most leaders aren't. Instead, find out why they did (or didn't do) whatever it is. Did you, as a leader, fail to communicate the urgency of the situation? Are they having issues with activity? Do they not understand? Communicate with them and find out WHY, instead of not doing anything and getting frustrated. You can find issues here and resolve them before they become bigger and you waste another player by force internalising.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I've played with a bunch of you, and you guys may think differently... or even that I fail on my own desired values.

Sinful Angel

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I've found a few key things that seem to help. My time leading the last three Worlds I've played (W63 - Base; W80 - WGGF/Sinister; W86 - Fatal).

1. Communication (with your members)!! Each leader really should be making an effort to talk to and try and know each of his members. What's their situation? Do you know what they plan on doing moving forward? Who are their closest friends in and out of your tribe? What do they like and dislike about your leadership/tribe?

I guess with the above mentioned questions, you can really gain a sense of skills and strengths from your members, AND, foresee any future problems. This allows you to push your strengths, and nip problems in the bud. Too many times do we see tribes full of excellent players fall apart due to leadership failing to iron out a problem that could have been fixed before it snowballed.

2. Recruitment! How do you feel about the person you're recruiting? They might be great at the game, but can you handle playing with them for long hours, DAILY, for months on end? Often not, which means that you're likely not the only one who will discover these feelings. Nip it in the bud and try and not recruit someone who is intolerable, unless you're prepared to follow them around easing all the tension they cause. Positivity produces a happier and harmonious team.

3. Remain calm at ALL times! Rage divides, and you don't need that when trying to be a cohesive whole. If you feel so inclined to have an outburst on a screen, to someone else on the other side of the world looking at a screen... then take 5 and a coffee, or a beer! ;)

4. Ultimatums - do we need them? People will always react better if it isn't 'mandatory' or an ultimatum. Are you prepared to carry out your 'threats' of them not participating? Most leaders aren't. Instead, find out why they did (or didn't do) whatever it is. Did you, as a leader, fail to communicate the urgency of the situation? Are they having issues with activity? Do they not understand? Communicate with them and find out WHY, instead of not doing anything and getting frustrated. You can find issues here and resolve them before they become bigger and you waste another player by force internalising.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I've played with a bunch of you, and you guys may think differently... or even that I fail on my own desired values.

Perfectly expressed my thoughts. Communication is the centre of any good tribe imo. When the leaders take time to listen and compromise for their members while keeping a tight rein on the overall plans for the tribe that is a tribe that will succeed.

Schizophrenic

Could not agree more, The only true way to guarantee a NO from any self respecting player is to issue an ultimatum. Looking forward to the first wars in this world should be good fun.

DeletedUser118016

Well I do hope that World 97 has many good tribes coupled with good leadership.

I also hope that I can bring my little rim tribe to make a difference in this World. It's possible! Just very difficult. Perhaps we'll meet in game!

DeletedUser

I do think key in good leadership is to found your tribe and follow out your vision, no matter what style rather than try to work on or adapt to someone elses.

Mintyfresh

Skilled Soldier 18 & Master Commander 21 & 22
Reaction score
I do think key in good leadership is to found your tribe and follow out your vision, no matter what style rather than try to work on or adapt to someone elses.

That only works if your vision is a good idea in the first place otherwise refusing to adapt or change is pretty retarded

DeletedUser

That only works if your vision is a good idea in the first place otherwise refusing to adapt or change is pretty retarded

It's not that, it's more that I think leaders need to found their tribe and it is far less likely for you to go into someone else's ship and make it your own, no matter your abilities as a leader since that old style is already ingrained.

ampac

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Interestng thread, succesfull tribes that i have been to usually got a dictator style type of leadership, councils are warlords who are good fighters and only ask for who to attack and who to destroy( And who to recruit). The essential elements are there communication, teamwork and respect...Lol* dunno if i replied correctly to the thread

DeletedUser121132

Lets be real the duke of ~il~ is hot shit

This mail is condensed approved