Who has the advantage - rim or the core?

DeletedUser

Videos of the nobling histories of the remaining players in the 3 worlds that are closed:
w12 - DNY
or are closing
default.jpg
w18 - Apoc+BA
default.jpg
w7 - -WE-

special request - not currently closing
default.jpg
w25 - SubV

w18 players may remember previous videos where the dots are captures by members of the *current* tribe, regardless of what tribe they were in at the time. The map will differentiate internal caps (caps from each other) from barbarians, from enemies still registered in the world, from players who've deleted.

What's showing up interestingly are the patterns...

w12: most of the players appear to have been from the core, and just generally expanded in all directions.

w7: most players from the core, but occupied the left half of the map first rather densely, then pushed east.

w18: mostly "rim" players from top right, counter-clockwise down to bottom left. Mostly they were on the rim of the "great circle" - not the very last to join, but not among the very first. They got dense out towards the very edge of the world, then started pushing SE.

The question is: if you started another world, where you would you prefer to be?

Start later out on the rim. Less time to play towards the end-game, and with the opportunity to expand mostly in one direction with "secure" back-lines. Large enemies are pretty well established, and the political situation is a little better defined: "Everyone else" vs. the established powerhouses.

Start earlier in the core. Surrounded by enemies from day one - the hardcore players who started from early in the world. A few major tribes eventually form and start dominating. Lots of fighting, you've got a head-start on many players. Many of the "hard core" players start early. On the downside, you have to play a LONG time to get to the end-game. High intensity early days may get boring in later stages, or may burn out early.

Other advantages/disadvantages?

Personally, I don't plan to start again.

Don't turn this into a pissing contest. Worlds are being won both ways. Of the three being looked at, 2 appear to be from the core and 1 from the rim.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I prefer the outer side of the core ^^

Since that is generally the front line of the first real big wars.

DeletedUser

hmmm core or rim? I guess rim... but not for a secure rear... (that sounds so nasty)

the world is a little more stable with lines already pretty much drawn. But then again starting in the core gives you the option to move any direction and to be part of drawing those lines.

DeletedUser

it depends a good premade has the advantage in the core however may be more risky if well known from day one. The rim has the most oppertunity to recruit players that have learned in battle or just started so it depends if you want a leadership role or a regular player role. it also depends on the world settings with churches the core is better for example. so there is no clear choice that is best for all worlds. a new player might actually do well in the core vrs rim but more experinced players might due well on the core the ting with the rim however is that you should avoid k99, k01, k90 and k9 so that you have escape routes or multiple choices of enemies.

DeletedUser

I feel like the rim has the better advantage for the random and non-premade tribes.

DeletedUser

I've personally been debating that question to myself for awhile now as I don't plan on starting another world anytime soon but think really hard about waiting 5-6 months and starting some new world. So I think it overall depends. If I was in a premade with my "Dreamteam" I'd probly want core as I think we could dominate early and head out as needed. If I was going in blind I'd probly want closer to rim so I'd be surrounded by mostly newer players and could have a chance to establish myself before having to commit.

DeletedUser

I agree with you rashelle I keep changingmy mind about this I think I will wait awhile for a new world anyways so it should not be a concern for a while for me.

DeletedUser

LOL A great question and one which I have debated myself...

When I started W12 back in 2007 I was in k33 top left corner so not rim and just outside core. There were way more experienced players than me and I was amazed at how fast they grew.

I have started in other places like core in W21 but boy you have to be very active to do that as I found those to be the most fierce fighters as it is harsh to get larger off the start.

I started W46 about 2 months ago as I wanted to start on the real rim to see what it was like. I am in south east corner of K3 and easily 9/10 of the k still needs villages to be created.

My conclusion is that I do not think it matters where you start as long as you are dedicated to be active for that first bit to establish yourself as a force and establish your territory. Then you need to get people to know who you are.(Externals or IGM's) There is always gonna be those players that have 50 - 1 ratio of villages against you no matter where you start.

DeletedUser

Nice vids mwetmore. If nothing else the w18 vid demonstrates that apart from a couple of "strategic" recruits - blame Zain! ;-) - Apoc fought its way across the world.

As for where I'd like to start... As was said earlier, if I were in a pre-made I think the core. Otherwise about 1/2-2/3rds out.

DeletedUser

I think the best place to be is 1/2 K's out from the core. The core players don't get enough of a headstart on you to make a real difference and you don't have the big bullseye on your back that the K 44/45/54/55 tribes get. If you can lock down your K quickly like TWA/MM did then the worlds your oyster as far as war and diplomacy go.

torflek

It makes no difference. At the start it is all about dominating a continent, on that it doesn't matter if it is core or rim, if you are a good player.

W7, -WE-, is formed of a mixture of backgrounds. Myself I started in K83 (potentially a rim continent), but have had no issue competing and catching up with core players. Infact I span over the entire core now over players who did start in the core.

I have noticed that in older worlds players noble towards the core, in new words players seem to noble towards the rim to avoid the core players. Changing game style? Or less aggressive players?

torflek

Ps. Cool video though. Can't see the difference between the pink and blue though :S

Does it map the player histories rather than the tribe history? I assume it does as -WE- really occupied nothing in the east (which in occupied village terms was twice the number of the west).

In general terms the overall setting was -WE- was a SW tribe, heading north (merging in a core tribe on the way), followed by a sweep to the east. (oh and meantime clearing the extreme south rim).

Last edited:

DeletedUser53550

Does it map the player histories rather than the tribe history?

Yep - must do as you can see me and Snowman growing in the west

In answer to the question, I don't think there is a significant advantage between starting in the rim or the core. Each has advantages and each has issues. If I was forced to deciding the "best" then I would probably think.. most of the people who leave the game, leave through boredom.. therefore, starting later is an advantage.. and that usually means on the rim.

But the better players tend to gravitate towards the action

torflek

Yep - must do as you can see me and Snowman growing in the west

In answer to the question, I don't think there is a significant advantage between starting in the rim or the core. Each has advantages and each has issues. If I was forced to deciding the "best" then I would probably think.. most of the people who leave the game, leave through boredom.. therefore, starting later is an advantage.. and that usually means on the rim.

But the better players tend to gravitate towards the action

Aye so the only way to get you off the map in the past is to kick you now :icon_wink:

DeletedUser53550

I think space/time would rip apart and W7 would end up in a never-ending cycle of war...

Hold on. Is that what's happening now?!

DeletedUser

Ps. Cool video though. Can't see the difference between the pink and blue though :S

Does it map the player histories rather than the tribe history? I assume it does as -WE- really occupied nothing in the east (which in occupied village terms was twice the number of the west).

It's the player history of the members currently in the tribe.
One thing you'll see in some videos is captures back and forth between the current members - which usually means they were recruited enemies.

Do you mean you can't visually see the difference between pink or blue? Must stink trying to pick out kiddie clothes. :)

Or don't understand the distinction? For the distinction, the player who lost of the village has deleted and I don't have the information on what tribe they were in. I can't easily tell if it was a cannibalization within the tribe who then deleted, or an enemy. My program doesn't keep a history on the downloaded data, just based off the currently available external data.

torflek

It's the player history of the members currently in the tribe.
One thing you'll see in some videos is captures back and forth between the current members - which usually means they were recruited enemies.

Do you mean you can't visually see the difference between pink or blue? Must stink trying to pick out kiddie clothes. :)

Or don't understand the distinction? For the distinction, the player who lost of the village has deleted and I don't have the information on what tribe they were in. I can't easily tell if it was a cannibalization within the tribe who then deleted, or an enemy. My program doesn't keep a history on the downloaded data, just based off the currently available external data.

Aye, in some ways I'd rather see the tribe history. Not so much for -WE- as I know our history. But to understand the maps from other worlds it helps to see when massive mass recruiting occurred etc. (understand based on what you have said this is likely impossible).

I can't see it visually (the pink throws me - (still the red enemies on the green map sucks more - I colour most in)), but ypu answered my second question on why most of -WE-s conquers were pink - that would be as when we have destroyed enemies/tribes you lose the info.

Still like the maps - v interesting, just me being picky.

DeletedUser

I personally had started my account(..which is currently barb =\, long story) in K73 and most of my villages were there..along with some to the south and north(due to war) of where i originally started.
The current account i am using started in the northern region of the world..i think mid northern to the west..i think..west is the left side of the map? lol
Currently though the account has villages in various regions of the world.

But id say depending on your aggressiveness and so forth with the game you can survive either which way and i dont think the core or the rim is better then each other. Each have thier own advantages as long as you know how to use those advantages.