Why do so many children play this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Schubert

I swear 2/3 of the people I've talked to in this game are 12-15 years old. While it was understandable while playing xbox live and halo and stuff I don't get it here.

The immaturity of the player base will drive me away from the game before anything else does. Does anyone else feel this way?

potash

Contributing Poster
Do not judge the young player population by the solemn few you have had bad experiences with.

Erik Schubert

I wasn't suggesting they turn away the population they've attracted. My question is this:

What has attracted so many children to this game? It has no graphics and takes forever to do stuff. Both of which I would've expected to bore all the kids with no attention spans. I could never get my 13 year old brother to sit still for 5 minutes, let alone weeks of building.

potash

Contributing Poster
I wasn't suggesting they turn away the population they've attracted. My question is this:

What has attracted so many children to this game? It has no graphics and takes forever to do stuff. Both of which I would've expected to bore all the kids with no attention spans. I could never get my 13 year old brother to sit still for 5 minutes, let alone weeks of building.
I suppose it's just the new age. Technology took over from the old idea of outdoor entertainment. Thus, the new generation are prone to having hardly any form of real life. When they get addicted to this game, it just makes it worse.

Erik Schubert

Yes, but why this game specifically? It just doesn't seem like something that would hold the attention spans of so many teenagers. When I was 13 there's no way I would've been playing something like this.

potash

Contributing Poster
Yes, but why this game specifically? It just doesn't seem like something that would hold the attention spans of so many teenagers. When I was 13 there's no way I would've been playing something like this.
Well, just the reason they play any other game that seems irrelevant to interest of a child. The chance they came across this game, and found it fun, was by sheer chance. Perhaps they enjoy the strategy rather than the flashy lights.

servy

Not all teenagers have ADD or ADHD. Many do, sure, but there are plenty that don't.

The fact that most teenagers wouldn't be interested by TW doesn't necessarily infer that many of the people that play TW aren't teenagers. (There are a lot of them after all.)

rheem

And here is the reason I prefer not to give out my age, people judge you differently when they know how old you are. I personly enjoy this game for the strategy, the fun of co-odinating with other people and most of the people here are good to talk to. I understand what you mean by people being immature though, thats what you have the ignore button for ;)

Erik Schubert

Not all teenagers have ADD or ADHD. Many do, sure, but there are plenty that don't.

The fact that most teenagers wouldn't be interested by TW doesn't necessarily infer that many of the people that play TW aren't teenagers. (There are a lot of them after all.)
I've just never encountered a game where such a high percentage are in fact teenagers. This is probably the last game-type I would've expected it in. I'm just surprised really.

TheFinalBob

Umm when I was 10 I was more mature than half the 20 year olds that play this.

I never lost my immaturity, it is a freaking game after all, but it's not like I spam every thread for the hell of it, and with horrible grammer.

Although I will say it makes me feel a lot better to think that there is a 15-16-17 year old on the other side, than a hairy 38 year old guy in his underwear.

Squirrel King22

when you were 13 you had pyramids to build
and why do you care so much who plays this game this is meant to be fun for all people not just adults
and thats what i hat most about adults they think we are all immature and we cant make our own decisions about anything

Erik Schubert

And here is the reason I prefer not to give out my age, people judge you differently when they know how old you are. I personly enjoy this game for the strategy, the fun of co-odinating with other people and most of the people here are good to talk to. I understand what you mean by people being immature though, thats what you have the ignore button for ;)
I've been in a few tribes since I started playing and the lolcats posted on tribal forums has been astronomical. People not able to form a complete sentence, talking like they drank a 12 pack of Pepsi.

Heck, my current tribe just started a war in our continent and the opposing tribe was sending out circulars. I found out by talking to them that the two leaders of the tribe are 13. There's no way in hell I could take orders from a 13 year old, sorry.

tjon22

Still Going Strong
The only iam angry at players is how they write there words. but you must understand 200000/100000000 dont exact number but isnt much

Squirrel King22

I've been in a few tribes since I started playing and the lolcats posted on tribal forums has been astronomical. People not able to form a complete sentence, talking like they drank a 12 pack of Pepsi.

Heck, my current tribe just started a war in our continent and the opposing tribe was sending out circulars. I found out by talking to them that the two leaders of the tribe are 13. There's no way in hell I could take orders from a 13 year old, sorry.

why not?
are you better than us im 15 and im could probably beat you in a 1 on 1 conflict

RelentlessBastard

when you were 13 you had pyramids to build
and why do you care so much who plays this game this is meant to be fun for all people not just adults
and thats what i hat most about adults they think we are all immature and we cant make our own decisions about anything
Think it was just a question why so many children play this game not saying they shouldn't just asking why they are since this game doesn't have a lot of graphics just strategy .

tjon22

Still Going Strong

Try get into good tribe.

TheFinalBob

There's no way in hell I could take orders from a 13 year old, sorry.
I'll take orders from a 3-year old if it ensures victory..

and its not like someone gains much knowledge about TW as they grow older..

nothing Mozilla Spellcheck won't fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.