Why do so many children play this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Schubert

lol rik schutwrt lol nub

u thk kids r imatur?? wut bout u plyin wow as a exampl of a mature game.. dat is takin da piss!! if u thnk da tw comunity is bad try getin in2 da gd circles of playas nub... nub.... cake.

y u discimatin aganst kids anywai nub?? her at tw adultz r bd if nt eqully so!!! u neva herd of billimack? he ws a big nub.. like u. stp bein a fool n strt judgin peple purly 4 who dey r... nt wut age dey r nub... u disgrac... u nub..

...nub.
Haha, how long did that take you to type up? I would've needed to use a translator.

Shampoo of death

I don't know the answer to your central question. The most likely answer is that in this new age of technology, going outdoors has been replaced by indoor internet technology, pure and simple. As for why children are attracted to this game, it's something that can be played and then turned off, but the game will continue nonetheless. One can play this game and another at the same time with little to no consequences.
That's correct.
I, and other TW players at my age (15) simply are geeks. After I and a friend saw Batman on the cinema we spent an hour discussing it and superheroes in general, and a lot of other children I've played with on TW are a bit like that too.

What has attracted so many children to this game? It has no graphics and takes forever to do stuff. Both of which I would've expected to bore all the kids with no attention spans. I could never get my 13 year old brother to sit still for 5 minutes, let alone weeks of building.
I don't like graphics, they are disturbing. I'm still playing Civ 2 which I believe is almost as old as me, if not older because it's so simple that I actually can see what's happening.

TW is a bit like that, just online, which means I'm learning english while having fun.

Lord Hellz

Contributing Poster
Haha, how long did that take you to type up? I would've needed to use a translator.
An awful lot longer than I first imagined. A pity, I appear to have overdone it.

Suffice to say, my practically illegible points stand; TW does have a very mature and fun community. However, they tend to be the more top-ranked players and tribes. If you can get in with them, as I believe Burns mentioned, your playing experience will shoot up.

Secondly, I really don't believe it's fair to target teens as you have done. It seems you are discriminating sheerly on the basis of their age. Many, many adults in this game are very similar to the teens you mention - perhaps most noteably Billymack.

I urge that you judge people based on how they perform as opposed to their age; as on TW it is quite irrelevant. A mature, smart teen can run a tribe just as effectively as an adult, if not more so. If you join a tribe, and a leader appears to be immature and ineffective then leave the tribe and try again.

Finally, don't even try to use WoW as a comparsion to TW as a community with 'greater maturity'. When I saw you imply that, I laughed. A lot.

Erik Schubert

An awful lot longer than I first imagined. A pity, I appear to have overdone it.

Suffice to say, my practically illegible points stand; TW does have a very mature and fun community. However, they tend to be the more top-ranked players and tribes. If you can get in with them, as I believe Burns mentioned, your playing experience will shoot up.

Secondly, I really don't believe it's fair to target teens as you have done. It seems you are discriminating sheerly on the basis of their age. Many, many adults in this game are very similar to the teens you mention - perhaps most noteably Billymack.

I urge that you judge people based on how they perform as opposed to their age; as on TW it is quite irrelevant. A mature, smart teen can run a tribe just as effectively as an adult, if not more so. If you join a tribe, and a leader appears to be immature and ineffective then leave the tribe and try again.

Finally, don't even try to use WoW as a comparsion to TW as a community with 'greater maturity'. When I saw you imply that, I laughed. A lot.
It depends completely on the server you're on. Just this past week we had a lengthy discussion on whether Altruism exists. There was another topic about the upcoming US elections that didn't deteriorate into a flame war until the ninth page. It happens, it's just rare.

You said get in with the good tribes but they're all on the older closed servers, no?

lardingd

Contributing Poster
:O it be hellz

btw teens suck! All of them! No mature ones in the lot. Competent as leaders? no way no how. Go non teens yay non teens!!!

(It's gonna suck when I'm a teen in 6 years :/)

servy

You said get in with the good tribes but they're all on the older closed servers, no?
No.

Many good players have a tendency to quit and restart on newer worlds. Some quite often, others just from time to time.

There's simply proportionally less of them since there are so many n00b tribes at the start of any world.

Tillyboy

Still Going Strong
I'll take orders from a 3-year old if it ensures victory..

and its not like someone gains much knowledge about TW as they grow older..

nothing Mozilla Spellcheck won't fix.
Google tool bar :icon_wink:

But isn't kebabe8 only 14? He doesn't seem too immature. Most of the young players in this game that succeed, usually, are pretty smart. :icon_neutral:

Lord Hellz

Contributing Poster
It depends completely on the server you're on. Just this past week we had a lengthy discussion on whether Altruism exists. There was another topic about the upcoming US elections that didn't deteriorate into a flame war until the ninth page. It happens, it's just rare.

Lengthy discussions on the existance of altruism suggests you're hanging out with psychology students, anything from 16-20. Still quite young, still in their teens.

Though as for all the good tribes being on older closed servers - I have never heard such rubbish. Generally, when a world has been open for quite a few months, at least 2-3 of the top 5 tribes are mature, sensible players. What's more, I tend to get an invite to a premade tribe every other world. Good tribes are indefinitely out there, and keep coming with every world that comes out.

lardingd

Contributing Poster
Google tool bar :icon_wink:

But isn't kebabe8 only 14? He doesn't seem too immature. Most of the young players in this game that succeed, usually, are pretty smart. :icon_neutral:
I hate kebabe8, implying that he is smart....just too weird. From my experience with him, he was immature, incompetent, and a liability that I regretted trying to deal with.

MrRandomGuy

Contributing Poster
Lengthy discussions on the existance of altruism suggests you're hanging out with psychology students, anything from 16-20. Still quite young, still in their teens.

Though as for all the good tribes being on older closed servers - I have never heard such rubbish. Generally, when a world has been open for quite a few months, at least 2-3 of the top 5 tribes are mature, sensible players. What's more, I tend to get an invite to a premade tribe every other world. Good tribes are indefinitely out there, and keep coming with every world that comes out.
I agree with you. Discussing things outside of tribal wars is a good way to tell who you are hanging out with.

I would love to have a discussion about game theory. It would be fun for me to discuss the zero sum game and non zero sum game concepts in relation to tribal wars.

But I would hate discussing something like "Omgzzz, my fnd iz dtng a loser!"

Erik Schubert

I agree with you. Discussing things outside of tribal wars is a good way to tell who you are hanging out with.

I would love to have a discussion about game theory. It would be fun for me to discuss the zero sum game and non zero sum game concepts in relation to tribal wars.

But I would hate discussing something like "Omgzzz, my fnd iz dtng a loser!"
Same. I'm a total numbers junkie when it comes to games. So far I've created 5 spreadsheets just on TW. What do you mean by zero sum concepts in regards to this game?

mattcurr

Part of the Furniture
Well I am a teenager, and I don't think I am too immature I started to play so I could keep myself occupied and try to pass my classes.....

And an Fyi for you old people with T-9 no one uses those god-awe-full annoying shortened words anymore

MrRandomGuy

Contributing Poster
Same. I'm a total numbers junkie when it comes to games. So far I've created 5 spreadsheets just on TW. What do you mean by zero sum concepts in regards to this game?
I still don't fully understand the concept. We talked about it in my History of Theories in Psychology class Monday.

Basically, it's a situation or interaction in which one participant's gains result only from another's equivalent losses. There is a winner and there is a loser. Wealth is just shifted from one player to another and the net change of wealth is equal to zero.

So, say we each have 20 villages. If I take 10 of yours, I now have 30 villages. By simple math you only have 10 villages left. The change in total wealth though is equal to zero. 30-10 is 20.

As I said earlier I still don't fully understand the concept, but I still find the concept interesting. Wikipedia might be able to help you out though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-sum

There's also a youtube clip that can explain it far better than I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDoQb6A2YI

Erik Schubert

I still don't fully understand the concept. We talked about it in my History of Theories in Psychology class Monday.

Basically, it's a situation or interaction in which one participant's gains result only from another's equivalent losses. There is a winner and there is a loser. Wealth is just shifted from one player to another and the net change of wealth is equal to zero.

So, say we each have 20 villages. If I take 10 of yours, I now have 30 villages. By simple math you only have 10 villages left. The change in total wealth though is equal to zero. 30-10 is 20.

As I said earlier I still don't fully understand the concept, but I still find the concept interesting. Wikipedia might be able to help you out though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-sum

There's also a youtube clip that can explain it far better than I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDoQb6A2YI
That would only work in a vacuum where there is no growth. In a situation like TW there is infinite growth. Villages grow, resources grow etc... You can never have a zero sum situation within this game because of this. While relatively stable, it's an inflationary system.

MrRandomGuy

Contributing Poster
That would only work in a vacuum where there is no growth. In a situation like TW there is infinite growth. Villages grow, resources grow etc... You can never have a zero sum situation within this game because of this. While relatively stable, it's an inflationary system.
Yeah when I started to explain about the zero sum concept I realized that it doesn't work with TW. TW is a non-zero sum game. I should have used a two player game like chess or checkers instead.

servy

But in chess or checkers the sum is usually negative, not 0. (Unless you stalemate without every taking/losing a piece.)

Erik Schubert

Yeah when I started to explain about the zero sum concept I realized that it doesn't work with TW. TW is a non-zero sum game. I should have used a two player game like chess or checkers instead.
Anything where the resources are capped works. Even chess and checkers don't work because once they are taken in the game they don't return to play. However, you could argue that they are then converted into points.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head would be a simple game of manhunt. You know, the kids game where if you are tagged you then join the hunters. In that situation the transfer goes from the hunted to the hunters and is a zero sum transfer.

lardingd

Contributing Poster
But in chess or checkers the sum is usually negative, not 0. (Unless you stalemate without every taking/losing a piece.)
checkers is a solved game btw...solved to a tie, so clearly it's not worth playing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.