World 5 Map: My Version

tpwch

Since the guy who was making the auto-generated map is going to stop doing them, I guess I'll take over doing it for this world.

I've made a script that generates a map. My primary goal was to make it as clear as possible to see, that means as little clutter as possible and no cool-looking effects that makes it harder to see things. Another goal was to make it as accurate as possible near the edges of tribe territory, so you can really see who controls a specific area. If there is a village there should always be a dot. And on this map there always is.

Another thing was picking colors so the contrast between borders of different tribes isn't too low. But not too high either so it doesn't hurt your eyes to look at it. Thats the hardest part. I think I have found a reasonable compromise, but I really hope that there won't be any more tribes popping up that needs to be added, as I can't think of another color that fits. I guess I'll figure something out if that happens.

The script fills in gaps in the map where the gap isn't too large and all sides are of the same tribe/family/alliance. This has the advantage that looking at the map is easier on the eyes, there is less clutter. You get a better idea of who is controlling an area. It also has a disadvantage that mainly affects the tribes near the core. That is that there is no difference between areas where the village density for the tribe differs. Since abandoned villages and villages belonging to small tribes is more common the further from the core you come, this reflects negatively on tribes closer to the core, as it can make them seem smaller than they really are if you look at their village count. But I think its worth this slight disadvantage for getting the advantage of less clutter.

What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions for how I could improve it?

Changelog
2008-07-08: Added continent grids and names
2008-07-09: Some modifications to the color choices
2008-07-15: The map now auto updates
2008-07-31: Made small version displayed on forum, click for large version
2008-08-07: Removed small version again. Changed several colors. Made a second version with the feature that fills up empty spaces turned off.
2008-08-12: Added a dominance map

Normal Map

world5-current.gif

Dominance Map

world5-dominance-current.gif

Territorial Map

world5-fill-current.gif

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Nice work TPC, I do like the look of the old maps that Tyrsis made better. Maybe I'm just used to them and I'll get used to these, time will tell. Either way, thanks for the map and effort :icon_smile:

DeletedUser

it's very, very different, but good in its own way, as if shows clear cut boundaries between the powers of the world

DeletedUser

Im sorry I should have stated my reasons lol

its a good map and as petn says it is very very different

I really personally dont like the colours very much
there is no continent grids
I think it would be nice if the BIG tribes were marked on the actual map aswel in the cores aswell as the key below
It does give a different perspective than other maps tho

Good effort mate, please try some colour variations lol :p

Thanks

tpwch

I added a continent grid.

As for the colors, I kind of like them the way they are. They are chosen across the spectrum, no tribe is bordering another one with a similar color, and they are easy on the eyes.

Can you be more specific, what about them is it that you don't like? You're not just complaining because V V V happened to get the grey color, are you? :p What do the rest of you think about the colors?

As for marking names in the map itself, it wouldn't really be easy to do that automatically, maybe it would be possible for the tribes that are mostly in one area, but look at SCI for example, if I just calculated the center of all their villages it would end up somewhere in BarBar territory. I'll see if I can think of something, but I'm not making any promises.

Maybe if moved the key to the top instead of the bottom, so you see the color names before looking at the map? Or kept it in both ends maybe? Would that be a good solution?

Keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Could we get a map that includes the top 20 please instead of top 15? I assume it's only the top 15 as INW is included and Oy is not.

tpwch

I just copied the tribes that were on the other guys map. I haven't decided on a limit.

DeletedUser

Well, due to families you're only adding Oy and BNL if you use the top 20 I think. Everyone else is included already I believe.

DeletedUser

It's a very nice map TPC... I think it's my favourite, actually.

What if you were to distinguish between the tribes in a family by making them lighter and darker shades of a particular colour? Maybe the bigger they are, the darker the colour.
The reason for this is because I would love to see how each individual tribe is spread around the world, and not just the family/alliance as a whole.

Also, add ~OY~ and BNL families please :)

DeletedUser

Thanks :icon_biggrin: Maybe try a light yellow or pastel green for Oy, sorta blends atm

tpwch

As for lighter and darker color, I don't want to make it more cluttered than it already is.

But maybe I can make a custom one for you. Poke me on IRC if you want to know more.

DeletedUser

Amazing work TPC :icon_wink:

Trully nice :icon_eek: so colourful ^^

Hippies live for ever :lol:

DeletedUser

Well we had a good map generator before and far better than we'll see in along time. However the colors feels a bit thick, not my taste, might jsue be that it's new.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I think a lot of us must have grown used to the other colours, so these ones look a bit odd now. Still some great work though - thanks for this! :)

DeletedUser

I highly recommend using the opacity and layering techniques to create a more fair map.

However - it is quite decent.

DeletedUser

Why not use the colours from the old one =]
yeah, i almost started wondering why SCI owned the core. :lol:

nice map, its a very good and nice try.
colors can aways be changed in a while. :icon_wink: