World 59 Blogger

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I ll let Justin know and tell him to reply :)
Which one of you two bird brains is it that said they'd tell me and didn't? :p

Have Pm'd you, (yesterday) ... Hoping for a reply :)

Appreciated. :icon_cool:

It's a funny thing..players on worlds i've played on all think i'd be good at it and press me to do it... the momment i (eventually) try.. i have to jump through hoops.. on worlds without even a blogger...

??

*shrugs* Very Odd.
Responded to you.

As for jumping through hoops, we do want to fill our positions, but want to do so with quality people. We do not just recruit the first person to ask for the job. We've turned away multiple applicants for a single world that does not have a blogger because they are not up to our standards, but this is the same process that everyone goes through when applying, including myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanks for the reply. :) As and when you decide that the position is formally open i shall apply.

DeletedUser

[..]
As for jumping through hoops, we do want to fill our positions, but want to do so with quality people. We do not just recruit the first person to ask for the job. We've turned away multiple applicants for a single world that does not have a blogger because they are not up to our standards, but this is the same process that everyone goes through when applying, including myself.

Could've fooled me. :icon_biggrin: Fact is that the blog staff tends not to reply to some/several applications, or has done so in the past at least. It is a recurring complaint that does not have to do with quality control.

*ahem* shutting up now. :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

Could've fooled me. :icon_biggrin: Fact is that the blog staff tends not to reply to some/several applications, or has done so in the past at least. It is a recurring complaint that does not have to do with quality control.

I have to agree with rukoh on this one, if the staff only do so with quality people. Then why is it almost every single world, these so called quality people that are put into bloggers postions end up not staying on and doing a quality job?

They always do 2 or 3, then you never hear from again lolz

DeletedUser

I suspect the Quality candidates are deterred by having to demean themselves by "jumping through hoops".

Given the current standards- and indeed standing within the Tw's Community of the Blog system as is -

I cannot but agree that something does not add up here.

Since the position is currently unavailable, since you consider the current Blogger "active"...

may we (World 59 players) then have a decision when you conisder the Post will become available? :)

and at which point... what the criteria will be for consideration of the new blogger?

Is it too much to ask that this criteria be made public (even if applications themselves are in private?) :)

DeletedUser

Why can't someone just write an unofficial blog on another website? It doesn't have to be sanctioned by the blogging staff to be read.

DeletedUser

Funny as it sounds, blog-staff get paid in PP for writing blogs. So wanting to write an official instead of unofficial one offers financial incentives (apart from the shiny name, help from moderators, etc). It is also harder to set up an alternative blog firstly because you need to find another website and secondly because less people would read something on a non-TW-sanctioned website.

DeletedUser

Fact is that we DO reply to every application that is sent in. Now at this point, I must point out that an application is an actual application, following the posted format in the correct section that is then reviewed by the head blog staff (myself included). The following do not count as applications:
-Posts in the proper sections that do not fill out the proper application. Saying "I'll blog World X. Thanks" will not get you the job, nor a response.
-Private Messages, whether it be through the forums, in-game or skype, and yes, I've had people message me attempting to get the spot through all three
-Posts in a world specific forum. We have a specific forum just for blog applications.
-Posting an unofficial blog, and then expecting it to be incorporated into the official blog.

None of these are proper procedure and thus will not get a proper response. You'll find that most of these people complaining about no response did one of the above options.

I have to agree with rukoh on this one, if the staff only do so with quality people. Then why is it almost every single world, these so called quality people that are put into bloggers postions end up not staying on and doing a quality job?

They always do 2 or 3, then you never hear from again lolz
Again, taking a few examples and calling them fact do not make them fact. Yes, recently we've been disappointed with some of our new bloggers who only make a few posts and then disappear, but that's not always the case. On our blog site there is a members page, which includes when each individual person started blogging. Personally, I've been on the team 14 months, and I know of people who've been around much longer than me who are still there.

As for criticizing who we hire, we attempt to do the best job with what material is available to us. They answer some questions, make a mock blog, and then do an interview with some of the staff. We base our first impression off of these three things when first hiring someone, but it is not until they actually have to start doing their job that we get to see how the truly cope with it. Unfortunately, not everyone matches up with our expectations after being hired.

I suspect the Quality candidates are deterred by having to demean themselves by "jumping through hoops".
I used the phrase "jumping through hoops" because you did, though I used it in a way that implied that it is not that at all. As stated above, we do not ask much. We ask for an application, a mock blog (a sample of your writing), and a short interview. Sound familiar? It's basically the same application for anything else you'll ever join in your life, whether it be a club, a college or a career. If it's too much for people to do these three things, that tells us right away they wouldn't take the time to do the blogs like they should, which is the complaint that started this whole conversation.

Given the current standards- and indeed standing within the Tw's Community of the Blog system as is -

I cannot but agree that something does not add up here.

Since the position is currently unavailable, since you consider the current Blogger "active"...

may we (World 59 players) then have a decision when you conisder the Post will become available? :)

and at which point... what the criteria will be for consideration of the new blogger?

Is it too much to ask that this criteria be made public (even if applications themselves are in private?) :)
Such criteria unfortunately is not available because, while our staff is close, we don't know each other on a person-to-person basis as we would people in real life. As such, when someone disappears like this, we don't know what happened. If the person simply chose not to do the blog, then I'm all for firing them immediately and opening the position to another blogger. However, we also don't know if they were in say a car accident that hospitalized them. In the past we've had accidents, family illnesses, storms knocking out the power and other such occurrences that have kept a person from posting not because they don't want to, but simply because they can't. I find it simply a little harder to fire someone when control of the situation was out of their hands.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me who you talked to before about this, as you haven't named anyone yet.

Why can't someone just write an unofficial blog on another website? It doesn't have to be sanctioned by the blogging staff to be read.

Rukoh did a fairly good job summing up this part. I would point out that some people have indeed done this. And some do a great job at it, but others figure out how much it requires of them and do the same and disappear in the same way as some official bloggers do.

DeletedUser

Yes, recently we've been disappointed with some of our new bloggers who only make a few posts and then disappear, but that's not always the case.

Really, show me one world since w1 thats not the case. There hasnt been a world yet that a blogger stays full time

DeletedUser

Really, show me one world since w1 thats not the case. There hasnt been a world yet that a blogger stays full time

Those weren't your original words, nor were they mine. You said all bloggers only make 2 or 3 posts and then disappear. They don't. Now you are trying to change your original statement.

But to appease you, the very first example is Jehosophat, our current blog admin who's been on the team for years now, almost since the beginning. Her duties are mostly overseeing the running of the blog, making improvements and hiring the staff, but she also blogs, both about the blog itself as well as for different worlds when needed.

If you want specific examples of normal bloggers who've been on the team:
-Zarin - W27, put out four blogs a month up to the end of the world. W27 was won by complete domination, so imagine the difficulty of putting out four blogs a month with only clean-up going on. Left the team after his world ended.
-Ampatriot - W46 and W57, put out at least four blogs a month for eight straight months, and then resigned in his ninth month to focus on school.

DeletedUser

But to appease you, the very first example is Jehosophat, our current blog admin who's been on the team for years now, almost since the beginning. Her duties are mostly overseeing the running of the blog, making improvements and hiring the staff, but she also blogs, both about the blog itself as well as for different worlds when needed.

So from your saying Jehosophat is the blame for hiring bloggers that dont last?

DeletedUser

Jurasu mate, where are your W55 blogs, apparentley your supposed to be blogging for that world. However it's been a while since you coughed up a blog. How can you be the Head Blog Staff when you can't seem to maintain blogs on your own worlds.

DeletedUser

So from your saying Jehosophat is the blame for hiring bloggers that dont last?
I'm done responding to you if all you are going to do is try and twist my words into something completely different than what I said.

Jurasu mate, where are your W55 blogs, apparentley your supposed to be blogging for that world. However it's been a while since you coughed up a blog. How can you be the Head Blog Staff when you can't seem to maintain blogs on your own worlds.
I've told anyone who's asked me that I'm no longer able to keep up with blogging for W55. I'm a freshman in college and underestimated how much time that would take when I volunteered to take W55 after W16 was closing. I have yet to post an official resignation because the blog is going to be undergoing some changes, including some that would affect future applicants, and I'd rather stop and let people know that rather than have them go and apply with the same process in mind. As of yet, I'm not supposed to discuss the details, so I've been waiting for permission before I post anything.

As for being Head Blog Staff without blogging, most of our Head Blog Staff doesn't blog regularly. Our responsibilities are different and include, but aren't limited to, answering and discussing questions and issues that come up such as they are here.

DeletedUser

I'm done responding to you if all you are going to do is try and twist my words into something completely different than what I said.

I've told anyone who's asked me that I'm no longer able to keep up with blogging for W55. I'm a freshman in college and underestimated how much time that would take when I volunteered to take W55 after W16 was closing. I have yet to post an official resignation because the blog is going to be undergoing some changes, including some that would affect future applicants, and I'd rather stop and let people know that rather than have them go and apply with the same process in mind. As of yet, I'm not supposed to discuss the details, so I've been waiting for permission before I post anything.

As for being Head Blog Staff without blogging, most of our Head Blog Staff doesn't blog regularly. Our responsibilities are different and include, but aren't limited to, answering and discussing questions and issues that come up such as they are here.

Sorry to hear that, if that indeed the case that you can no longer maintain blogs on W55 and have quit, could you please try and have a blogger assigned too it in the near future. I know for a fact, being the Duke of the rank 6 tribe that something very big and Blog worthy is about too go down on W55 in the up and coming weeks, perhaps something too put the world in the ending stages :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

see told you no blogger stays, hell even the head blogger admitted to quitting. Yea i know cause of school, but still.

DeletedUser

What the Blog staff do is a hard job, it is not always easy to provide blogs for everyone in the world to please everyone. Such a thing is a privilege to have, not a right. Obviously, everyone also have their own life to attend to, blog staffs are volunteers, no one truly has the time to sit here daily to write blogs for the heck of it. The Blog staff try their best to provide you blogs, the sudden disappearance with certain bloggers is unfortunate. But as we all know, bloggers must play the world they blog for. And everyone have their up and downs and can be wiped out of a world fairly quickly, especially early stage.

So it is best to just wait patiently, if you must read a blog there are options of :

1.) Creating your own unofficial blog for the moment

2.) Apply to become a blog staff yourself.

Complaining doesn't really help the process, but make it much harder for the bloggers instead.

slinkiestwizard

2.) Apply to become a blog staff yourself.

Im wondering how many applications have looked at , just out of curiosity . To me its seams like there arent many as the job hasnt been filled

DeletedUser

But if they get paid with TW-money (PP), surely there's a 'duty' involved? Fact is that there are a lot of people willing to put out blogs (or temporary blogs), but these resources are barely utilised. Lots of people willing to blog, very little turnover.

Truthfully, most of the time the blog-staff seems like this tight-knit and closed community. Like a walled sub-urb in Latin America. There is almost zero transparency, there seem to be very few guidelines for bloggers (leading to the belief that if you're part of the clique, anything can be excused) or blog staff, and recruitment seems to be completely random. I've seen 14 year olds being accepted with less writing talent than some members of this community have in their tiny toe, in a manner of speaking.
It doesn't help that blog and moderator staff tend to come out in force when bloggers are questioned, either. :icon_wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.