World 59 Blogger

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

But there is also the fact that TW-Money(PP) can not support a person or a family in real life. Would anyone truly spend all their time writing blogs so that they can not support themselves? What the staff do is not as easy as it appears, but much rather quite hard.

It doesn't help that blog and moderator staff tend to come out in force when bloggers are questioned, either. :icon_wink:

And it is not so much come out in force, but rather in answering people's complaints. That complaining does not truly help the process.

Rvglos

I think its simple, rather than complain about an official blog, maybe write one yourselves..... Just a suggestion..:icon_biggrin:

deadsocks

Ex-blogger here.
There's a problem on this site with bloggers, moderators etc. becoming unreliable, as they are all essentially volunteer roles. It is rarely their fault. People prioritise this game below other things in life (exams, love, work, health), and who can blame them?
Furthermore, this isn't a problem that is going to go away. It seems to me a different approach to taking people onto the blog team is required.
I'd like to suggest:
- Taking on multiple bloggers for new worlds, to give it better coverage.
- A better system for applications (reviewing applications faster, or in some cases, at all*), and less rigorous entry requirements - why not let anyone have a go?
- Allowing people to write skewed blogs (favouring tribes). Appealing for journalistic honesty would be less important with multiple bloggers from different tribal backgrounds. Nothing will attract more readers and writers like some controversy!
- Greater delegation within the blogging team, if it didn't happen already. Consider a tribe with only one duke - when s/he goes off for a month, everything is going to fail and fail hard.

* - I have read further up that all applications are replied to. I can confirm that unless things changed within the past few months that this is not the case. ^^;

DeletedUser

Scrappy is there a reason you're being argumentative besides the fact that you just enjoy being argumentative?:icon_confused:

Such criteria unfortunately is not available because, while our staff is close, we don't know each other on a person-to-person basis as we would people in real life. As such, when someone disappears like this, we don't know what happened. If the person simply chose not to do the blog, then I'm all for firing them immediately and opening the position to another blogger. However, we also don't know if they were in say a car accident that hospitalized them. In the past we've had accidents, family illnesses, storms knocking out the power and other such occurrences that have kept a person from posting not because they don't want to, but simply because they can't. I find it simply a little harder to fire someone when control of the situation was out of their hands.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me who you talked to before about this, as you haven't named anyone yet.

In such cases, wouldn't you deem is reasonable to fill their spot temporarily with a "temp blogger" per say? Then if that person does not return they can be fired and the temp blogger can then be promoted to full time world blogger. If that person does return then the temp blogger could either bow out and be much appreciated for the hard work or the temp blogger and the official blogger could then work side by side as it would make both of their jobs easier as they'd only have to handle half the workload. Or someone could be an interviewer and someone could be the map generator/updater, etc, etc... The ideas and possibilities are really endless.
I guess then the complication is the PP(if it is true for that matter). Guess if they both agree upon the idea they can split the PP and work together. But then again all that would have to be done in private.

What I'm getting it is there should be some kind of contingency plan for if a blogger just ups and disappears, no?

But there is also the fact that TW-Money(PP) can not support a person or a family in real life. Would anyone truly spend all their time writing blogs so that they can not support themselves? What the staff do is not as easy as it appears, but much rather quite hard.
Bloggers should blog because they enjoy blogging. In my opinion I don't think a blogger should be told they get PP however, an added bonus once they do such a good job as a "reward" or "extra incentive", PP should be given.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser52670

I've been a blogger in a previous world and tried to keep as impartial as possible. Bloggers in order for them to be relevant at all have to be a part of the diplomacy of the world and so are always going to have their opinions seep through to some extent but the whole point of the Unknown account when I started it was that nobody and I mean literally nobody knew who I was from within the game. I am again playing as an anonymous, I am not playing as Unknown within W59 and so I could try and do a similar thing here if people were interested. I don't want to be an official / off-site blogger for this world, but I will happily write the occasional interview and post it up informally if that is what the posters are interested in? :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

I've been a blogger in a previous world and tried to keep as impartial as possible. Bloggers in order for them to be relevant at all have to be a part of the diplomacy of the world and so are always going to have their opinions seep through to some extent but the whole point of the Unknown account when I started it was that nobody and I mean literally nobody knew who I was from within the game. I am again playing as an anonymous, I am not playing as Unknown within W59 and so I could try and do a similar thing here if people were interested. I don't want to be an official / off-site blogger for this world, but I will happily write the occasional interview and post it up informally if that is what the posters are interested in? :icon_biggrin:

Naw, you have a shifty face don't think you're trustable. :lol:

Seriously though, if you want to be the blogger submit an app and see where it goes. I doubt anyone on this world will have any objections to anyone being the blogger. They seem to just want a blog to read for a simple pastime. Good luck if you do decide to apply.

DeletedUser

Originally Posted by slinkiestwizard
Im wondering how many applications have looked at , just out of curiosity . To me its seams like there arent many as the job hasnt been filled
I was told that i couldn't apply, as they considered that they currently HAD - at least technically - a current w59 Blogger... however inactive... and that therefore the position was not currently available for applications.

But if they get paid with TW-money (PP), surely there's a 'duty' involved? Fact is that there are a lot of people willing to put out blogs (or temporary blogs), but these resources are barely utilised. Lots of people willing to blog, very little turnover.

Truthfully, most of the time the blog-staff seems like this tight-knit and closed community. Like a walled sub-urb in Latin America. There is almost zero transparency, there seem to be very few guidelines for bloggers (leading to the belief that if you're part of the clique, anything can be excused) or blog staff, and recruitment seems to be completely random. I've seen 14 year olds being accepted with less writing talent than some members of this community have in their tiny toe, in a manner of speaking.
It doesn't help that blog and moderator staff tend to come out in force when bloggers are questioned, either. :icon_wink:

Quite agree.

Deadsocks:
* - I have read further up that all applications are replied to. I can confirm that unless things changed within the past few months that this is not the case. ^^;

QFT.

Finny50:
In such cases, wouldn't you deem is reasonable to fill their spot temporarily with a "temp blogger" per say? Then if that person does not return they can be fired and the temp blogger can then be promoted to full time world blogger.

You would think so, wouldn't you?

As i say "jumping through Hoops" -

To be honest, its seems it is probably easier to thread a full sized adult Camel through the eye of a needle ...

... than actually apply to be a Blogger here.

DeletedUser

Agreed Rukoh, since its all been said on creating a so called blog on our own. Blue Eye you want the job as it seems, Create your own blog. Show us all how well you can or cant do it, I understand blog staff get PP for doing it. If the blogs are any good dude, Ill offer to help with some PP for your efforts.

At least until TW actually makes you a blogger.

Lets see what ya got blue

DeletedUser

Im wondering how many applications have looked at , just out of curiosity . To me its seams like there arent many as the job hasnt been filled
Lately, we have had very, very few applications. You'll notice that many worlds are still empty. The blogging job is only appealing to a select few it seems. You'll notice that of all the posters in this forum, only Blue has expressed an interest in actually taking the job himself.

But if they get paid with TW-money (PP), surely there's a 'duty' involved? Fact is that there are a lot of people willing to put out blogs (or temporary blogs), but these resources are barely utilised. Lots of people willing to blog, very little turnover.
We are paid every month, but only for the work we do. A blogger only gets his/her premium if they post blogs, and one who posts four blogs will get paid more than one who only posts one. If someone doesn't blog, they don't get paid. Simple as that. And I see very few people willing to blog.

Truthfully, most of the time the blog-staff seems like this tight-knit and closed community. Like a walled sub-urb in Latin America. There is almost zero transparency, there seem to be very few guidelines for bloggers (leading to the belief that if you're part of the clique, anything can be excused) or blog staff, and recruitment seems to be completely random. I've seen 14 year olds being accepted with less writing talent than some members of this community have in their tiny toe, in a manner of speaking.
We abide by the same rules as any other TribalWars player, and in fact, we abide by them more strictly, as our positions on the staff put us in the spotlight. We've fired bloggers immediately for breaching those rules, so the fact that you accuse us of letting our members get away with things is downright insulting.

And like I said before, when hiring, all we have to go on is initial impression. Remember those kids in school who never did any homework yet managed to perform very well on the tests and pass anyways? When forced to focus, some people can do very well but slack off when they don't feel the pressure.

Ex-blogger here.
There's a problem on this site with bloggers, moderators etc. becoming unreliable, as they are all essentially volunteer roles. It is rarely their fault. People prioritise this game below other things in life (exams, love, work, health), and who can blame them?
Furthermore, this isn't a problem that is going to go away. It seems to me a different approach to taking people onto the blog team is required.
I'd like to suggest:
- Taking on multiple bloggers for new worlds, to give it better coverage.
- A better system for applications (reviewing applications faster, or in some cases, at all*), and less rigorous entry requirements - why not let anyone have a go?
- Allowing people to write skewed blogs (favouring tribes). Appealing for journalistic honesty would be less important with multiple bloggers from different tribal backgrounds. Nothing will attract more readers and writers like some controversy!
- Greater delegation within the blogging team, if it didn't happen already. Consider a tribe with only one duke - when s/he goes off for a month, everything is going to fail and fail hard.

Again, like I said, if people fill out a proper application, they will get a response. If you post a message saying "I'd like to blog World X" it's going to be deleted and you won't get a response.

Scrappy is there a reason you're being argumentative besides the fact that you just enjoy being argumentative?:icon_confused:

In such cases, wouldn't you deem is reasonable to fill their spot temporarily with a "temp blogger" per say? Then if that person does not return they can be fired and the temp blogger can then be promoted to full time world blogger. If that person does return then the temp blogger could either bow out and be much appreciated for the hard work or the temp blogger and the official blogger could then work side by side as it would make both of their jobs easier as they'd only have to handle half the workload. Or someone could be an interviewer and someone could be the map generator/updater, etc, etc... The ideas and possibilities are really endless.
I guess then the complication is the PP(if it is true for that matter). Guess if they both agree upon the idea they can split the PP and work together. But then again all that would have to be done in private.

What I'm getting it is there should be some kind of contingency plan for if a blogger just ups and disappears, no?
There is, and what you suggest has actually been done. Multiple times. We've had temporary bloggers before. Some are bloggers who post a few blogs for a second world. Others are normal players who submit a few blogs to Jehosophat and get them posted through her. In this case though, no one has contacted has tried contacting the staff about this issue. A friend of mine had to message me to let me know people were posting here with complaints. If you don't come to the people who can fix the problems, they won't get resolved. In regards to all the forum posts, there's only a bare handful of us bloggers. We simply can not keep up with everything on our own, so if you want things fixed, you need to work with us.

Bloggers should blog because they enjoy blogging. In my opinion I don't think a blogger should be told they get PP however, an added bonus once they do such a good job as a "reward" or "extra incentive", PP should be given.
I think every last blogger on the team blogs because they enjoy doing it and the fact that they are paid PP is an extra incentive. I believe that what bloggers get paid relative to the amount of work that goes into a quality blog is very low.

@Blue - I'm still waiting for you to tell me who you originally contacted about the blog. If you truly did and the person didn't make the issue known, I can't fix the problem if I don't know the source of the issue.

DeletedUser

well since my name was mentioned and sorry i didnt notice it prior Finny, no im really not trying to argue with anyone. I just know what I have seen in my years of tw and yes to contradict Jurasu, I have been here since w1. Just not this name, it has been this way with bloggers since the game started. No matter what Jurasu says.

Now I would offer to help blue in blogging, but I personally don't like how Morthy runs things. He is too young and has taken on way to much responsiblity, he can keep up worlds yes. But staff he cant in my opinion.

Plus the fact you wont let someone blog because of infractions or banns is just plain stupid, if someone wants to help tell that worlds story. Whether they are right or not, let the public decide.

Its been said that there isnt many applications to become a blogger, maybe its because TW staff is to strict on someone just wanting to tell that worlds story if you will.

DeletedUser

You just showed how little you know of this system.

Morthy is the overall boss. In the blogging system, bloggers answer to head bloggers, head bloggers answer to the blog admin (Jehosophat) and she answers to Morthy, but when it comes to running the blog and hiring new staff members, Morthy largely leaves us to our own devices. Don't try to put blame on him for a system run by others.

And again wrong about the points about infractions and bans. We in fact DO hire people despite their past history. We just ask that people give a sufficient period of time before applying to show that you are on your best behavior. If someone just got off a ban for insulting other players a week before applying, we're unlikely to believe that they'd be unbiased in their blogs. And if you don't believe me, I personally have three warnings and an infraction in my forum history on this account. I was hired as a blogger, and then later promoted to head blogger.

DeletedUser

You just showed how little you know of this system.

Morthy is the overall boss.

I know the system very well, and I understand Jehosophat is in charge of bloggers. But in the end it comes down to the boss as it does in real life, the boss is morthy. So please tell someone else that mere crap.

The old saying, You lead by example. Hes not leading our blogging staff, if he was infact watching all as a BOSS. He would know that his blogging staff has failed.

DeletedUser

How do you judge bias in current bloggers then? Or quality of writing? Quantity of writing? I was not suggesting you let bloggers 'get away with things', I was suggesting you are not transparent. We don't know these criteria. We don't know when a blogger would get kicked off the team and why. We don't know what they can and can't write, how often they should write, and why they aren't writing (if say they are on leave). We don't know when a 'temporary blogger' might be a solution because there is never any info about it. I feel these things are the kind of things the people the blogs are written for are entitled to know. Especially as bloggers are paid, making the role not entirely voluntary.

You say you have few applicants, why would anyone apply when they know that a) it's going to be a royal pain to be admitted, when they just want to write, b) they're not sure whether they can keep it up forever and don't want to end up as so many other bloggers who put out 3 blogs then drift into inactivity and don't get replaced for 2 months just in case they got into a car-crash, and c) the system is perceived as an excluded zone impenetrable to 'outsiders'.

If you see issues (few applicants, current bloggers not being the best they can be, community grumblings about the way blogs are handled), move to fix them or move to reassure the community. What we see here is an authority saying 'everything is fine, move along people'.

DeletedUser

How do you judge bias in current bloggers then? Or quality of writing? Quantity of writing? I was not suggesting you let bloggers 'get away with things', I was suggesting you are not transparent. We don't know these criteria. We don't know when a blogger would get kicked off the team and why. We don't know what they can and can't write, how often they should write, and why they aren't writing (if say they are on leave). We don't know when a 'temporary blogger' might be a solution because there is never any info about it. I feel these things are the kind of things the people the blogs are written for are entitled to know. Especially as bloggers are paid, making the role not entirely voluntary.
Like I said, we follow the same rules as an other forum users. How can we be transparent when we are held to the same guidelines that everyone else is. If a blogger breaks the rules, they are kicked from the team.

As for judging blogs, that's largely left to the feedback of the people reading the blogs. If people are complimenting them and saying they can't wait for the next blog, the blogger is doing a good job. If people are messaging us complaining about the bloggers, then usually something needs to be changed, though we have had occasional cases where people are complaining for no reason. I had someone claim I was biased because I posted Forever war stats in a war that his tribe was losing.

Again, that's why people interested should message someone who knows and can answer their questions. If you sit complaining on the forums, you'll never get answers.

You say you have few applicants, why would anyone apply when they know that a) it's going to be a royal pain to be admitted, when they just want to write,
Except its not a pain. If you do the application correctly, its very simple and straight forward. It's only a "pain" when members don't fill out a proper application and continue to argue with us. If you wanted to apply for a job at say McDonalds, would you ask for an application, fill it out, turn it in, and go from there? Or would you go up to the cashier and demand a job working the window and refuse to leave until you get the job? The cashier doesn't hire people, so arguing with them isn't going to get you anywhere.

b) they're not sure whether they can keep it up forever and don't want to end up as so many other bloggers who put out 3 blogs then drift into inactivity and don't get replaced for 2 months just in case they got into a car-crash, and
A viable reason for not applying. Blogging takes up a good deal of time, which many people don't have.

c) the system is perceived as an excluded zone impenetrable to 'outsiders'.
This only seems to be the opinion of a few. A couple people agreeing on something doesn't mean that this view applies to everyone.

If you see issues (few applicants, current bloggers not being the best they can be, community grumblings about the way blogs are handled), move to fix them or move to reassure the community. What we see here is an authority saying 'everything is fine, move along people'.
The main issue is that we don't see them. I haven't been saying "everything is fine, move along." I've been saying if you have problems or questions, mail myself, another head blogger or the head admin. If you sit around with your buddies complaining about what is wrong rather than taking steps to show the people in charge what is wrong, nothing will change.

And as I've already said, we ARE changing the system. I don't know why you are criticizing the bloggers, telling us what we should be doing when we are already doing it.

DeletedUser

How is this topic not showing 'the people in charge' what is wrong? Are the people in charge too good to read the forums, for us to have to PM them..? Ties directly into my point about transparency; a single PM'd complaint can be brushed off. A complaining topic cannot. A PM'd complaint about a blog can be 'addressed', a topic full of complaints about a blogger cannot. Guess which method is the preferred one for the blog staff...

The transparency point was not aimed at following forum-rules. It was aimed at blogger-rules and the 'system' of selecting and keeping bloggers. It's as opaque as can be. If you're not a blogger yourself, good luck trying to get info about blogging matters.
The main issue is indeed that you don't see them, and prefer to wave away complaints as 'opinions of the few'. Easy way out.

@Changing the system; Funny thing is that nobody except bloggers actually know what you're talking about. You say you're 'changing' but don't say you're changing what, how or when. In other words, we are to blindly trust you to do a perfect job. How do we know that you are already doing 'it'? Guessing?

DeletedUser

How is this topic not showing 'the people in charge' what is wrong? Are the people in charge too good to read the forums, for us to have to PM them..? Ties directly into my point about transparency; a single PM'd complaint can be brushed off. A complaining topic cannot. A PM'd complaint about a blog can be 'addressed', a topic full of complaints about a blogger cannot. Guess which method is the preferred one for the blog staff...
There's hundreds of active topics in these forums. Do you really expect the blog staff to comb through them all every single day to see if anyone is complaining? No, we won't do that. PM one of the head staff members (not a normal blogger, they usually can't resolve the issues you're dealing with). It won't get brushed off like you accuse. It's amazing how people condemn others of an action before it even happens just because it suits their argument. And if you don't get a response, then you have a new issue and message the person higher up above them and add that to your message. If you just sit here and complain about it, nothing will get resolved.

The transparency point was not aimed at following forum-rules. It was aimed at blogger-rules and the 'system' of selecting and keeping bloggers. It's as opaque as can be. If you're not a blogger yourself, good luck trying to get info about blogging matters.
The main issue is indeed that you don't see them, and prefer to wave away complaints as 'opinions of the few'. Easy way out.
The problem is that you are very general and vague with your statements. If you have issues or questions with the system, be specific and clear in addressing them. If you do, I can answer them. If you continue to be vague, I'm unable to address your points.

@Changing the system; Funny thing is that nobody except bloggers actually know what you're talking about. You say you're 'changing' but don't say you're changing what, how or when. In other words, we are to blindly trust you to do a perfect job. How do we know that you are already doing 'it'? Guessing?
You know because I told you we were. As I said before, I have not been given permission to discuss details. That leaves you two options. Option 1: trust in the staff and wait for the update. I get the feeling you won't like this option, so try the second one. Message Jehosophat and ask for details. If she wants them to be known, she'll tell you.

DeletedUser

From the way i see it Jurasu, even thou you say you are done posting to me.

This isnt a blog thread anymore, this is a compaint thread on bloggers.

You keep coming back and saying this or that, that fact remains we are complaining.

When you gave your little scenario of going to Mickey D's to apply for a job, you said arguing with the cashier gets you know where.

Well in this case, you are the head cashier and you are just really making up excuses as to why the blog staff fails in general. To me thats when the boss should step in, he clearly doesnt care about what TWs public wants.

This thread alone should be proof enough its not just one person complaining, its at least 59 community doing it. Im sure I can go to every world, and its prolly about the same.

Get this prob fixed, us in the TW community are tired of excuses as thats all this is. GET IT FIXED, if morthy has to step in to show our head bloggers what they are doing wrong so be. dont come here making up excuses as to why the bloggers dont do there job

DruidEarth

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
From the way i see it Jurasu, even thou you say you are done posting to me.

This isnt a blog thread anymore, this is a compaint thread on bloggers.

You keep coming back and saying this or that, that fact remains we are complaining.

When you gave your little scenario of going to Mickey D's to apply for a job, you said arguing with the cashier gets you know where.

Well in this case, you are the head cashier and you are just really making up excuses as to why the blog staff fails in general. To me thats when the boss should step in, he clearly doesnt care about what TWs public wants.

This thread alone should be proof enough its not just one person complaining, its at least 59 community doing it. Im sure I can go to every world, and its prolly about the same.

Get this prob fixed, us in the TW community are tired of excuses as thats all this is. GET IT FIXED, if morthy has to step in to show our head bloggers what they are doing wrong so be. dont come here making up excuses as to why the bloggers dont do there job
I'll just point out that the head cashier doesn't hire people either. I have no doubt Jurasu is already in contact with Jeho about this. If you don't believe me, you could send her a polite mail inquiring about this (and I say polite because it will get you a lot further than an impolite mail).

This thread is not proof that the w59 community is complaining. This thread is proof that a few people in the w59 community are complaining. This is a new world, so even several people complaining isn't a huge portion of the community.

"This prob" refers to what? There have been several listed. People have mentioned lack of transparency, the difficulty of applying (which I can say from personal experience is not true), lack of responses to applications, lack of communication with the world community when a blogger disappears, hiring of bloggers who don't stick around... I'm sure there are others I'm missing too. In my opinion, the only ones the blog team should improve on are communication with the world community and transparency in procedure. However, neither of these would even be a problem if people would send nice mails to head bloggers asking for information and/or alerting them about issues with bloggers.

Summary of last paragraph: You'll get a lot further if you make a list of what you see as problematic, how you would suggest fixing it, and make sure you keep everything as constructive criticism rather than complaining.

DeletedUser

This thread is not proof that the w59 community is complaining. This thread is proof that a few people in the w59 community are complaining. This is a new world, so even several people complaining isn't a huge portion of the community.

Ok then here ya go

W58 blogg section
http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=240969&page=11

W57 blogg section, ill admit yal a dar is keeping it up, w56 is also somewhat ok
http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=243956&page=6

w55 blogg section
http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=243089&page=2

w54 blogg section
http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=235639

If i need to i can post every world, this isnt just w59 and some people complaining on blogging staff. It is the TW community, if you cant do you homework and look at each world like most of has, then you are blind my friend.

The blogging staff for every world in general doesnt do what you guys are so called paid to do.

So please go tell your mere rubbish to someone that doesnt know how to research

Status
Not open for further replies.