Worlds Ending Early

DeletedUser22924

Ahh.. but war, how many on that list have kept restarting new worlds? Im referring to the many that have and still do play old worlds, and have not really started a new world in a while. They will get uber owned, period.

I know most of your list, some of them i have run with at various times, and others i have kept tabs on over the years. for the most part, old schoolers think they know it all and wont adapt to new times...

And castro.... Im not just referring to the few "gems" in my tribe. there is a whole list of players in the top echelon of w30 that started on that world... And every world i start, i find new players that started in the last ten worlds, that make MY head spin... :D

The average player now will kick the hell out of any average player way back when...

hey paj :icon_biggrin: i would actually agree with that, i know i would get destroyed, if i try to play this game again.

never again though :p

lt181

i think that statement is wrong, mostly because you are only thinking of the few jewels you have found, in a great ocean of bad players.

the average old player WILL in general be better players than the average new player.

that is just wrongfully, interpreted, anecdotal evidence.

Newer players have mastered tactics that older players had not. As Paj indicated, the average player on a new world has a far stronger arsenal available to him than one did when these older worlds started. You can expect a average player on those worlds to have some understanding of proper farming techniques, unit composition, and how to play defense with offense.

Now can older players be good? Hell yeah. Most of the "best" tw players are ones with considerable experience. But, those players are the ones that have adapted and learned from the younger players. At least, that's been my experience.

Pajuno

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Newer players have mastered tactics that older players had not. As Paj indicated, the average player on a new world has a far stronger arsenal available to him than one did when these older worlds started. You can expect a average player on those worlds to have some understanding of proper farming techniques, unit composition, and how to play defense with offense.

Now can older players be good? Hell yeah. Most of the "best" tw players are ones with considerable experience. But, those players are the ones that have adapted and learned from the younger players. At least, that's been my experience.

Lt, whats up bro?

Still jamming in tw??

Hit me up in skype sometime,

Pajuno1

DeletedUser

Whoa, world 6 is officially comming to an end.
it feels..
it feels.....
Nostalgic?

silvereclipes

Whoa, world 6 is officially comming to an end.
it feels..
it feels.....
Nostalgic?

Yeah it does remembering all those who have passed though W6 over the years an thinking where they are now, good times they were.

DeletedUser

Ahh.. but war, how many on that list have kept restarting new worlds? Im referring to the many that have and still do play old worlds, and have not really started a new world in a while. They will get uber owned, period.

I know most of your list, some of them i have run with at various times, and others i have kept tabs on over the years. for the most part, old schoolers think they know it all and wont adapt to new times...

And castro.... Im not just referring to the few "gems" in my tribe. there is a whole list of players in the top echelon of w30 that started on that world... And every world i start, i find new players that started in the last ten worlds, that make MY head spin... :D

The average player now will kick the hell out of any average player way back when...

Not to disagree Paj (but I will anyway, because I like talking to myself and you are blocked which I find funny ^^), but some of the best players in the game are 'old school'. Just look at Mattcurr or Pervis.

A good player is a good player. Lack of adaptability just indicates someone sucks, and that the 'old school' player shouldn't have been considered any good in the first place.

In saying that though, I completely understand the pure laziness that can drive not picking up new techniques. Scripts still confuse me. :icon_redface:

DeletedUser9021

i know for a simple fact, that NEW PLAYERS > old schools.

Depends on whatcher looking for, Paj my dear :icon_wink: For example, I have not seen much in the way of style on the last couple of worlds I played -- that seems to be the prerogative of older worlds. And when I say style, I also mean propaganda, integrity levels and so on. On w54 (my most recent in-depth foray into TW) the propaganda was absolutely and completely below the required level to keep the game interesting. Compare that to all the worthies we had on this world, entertaining the masses (& yes, I do include you and me in that company of entertainers as well).

I can see where you're coming from in terms of absolute skills -- but just because people use Opera these days to send 150ms trains doesn't mean they're better fighters than we were in 2007, when we opened 4 windows to send our trains. In fact, I think back on those old techniques with nostalgia, as it also required a small measure of cool to time the trains tight in those days. Now it's just a trick.

So some new player can read a HC strategy guide in 10 minutes -- I played on three different worlds just to make some sense of it, and talked to people like Openeye to discuss the finesses. That's to say -- this was an early world, a pioneer world. It makes sense that its current players are far behind in techniques compared to later worlds, but I don't agree with you that this makes their quality as players any less. And like warham said, there have been a lot of players from this world who have done very well indeed on others.

I think the real issue with why people from older worlds don't do as well on later worlds is because they stop investing the ridiculous amounts of time we invested in the early days. I once spent 48 hours planning an operation -- I mean, that's insanity. 48 hours of spare time spent on the preparation of an attack in an online game? :cata::cata: for brains XD

DeletedUser

On w54 (my most recent in-depth foray into TW) the propaganda was absolutely and completely below the required level to keep the game interesting. Compare that to all the worthies we had on this world, entertaining the masses (& yes, I do include you and me in that company of entertainers as well).

Most worlds suck when it come to things like propaganda these days. W30 was the last world I played that had anything decent, W54 was particularly bad though. Fun to bait people on, but that's about it.

But expanding on what you said with Opera and noble trains, the simple fact is that it is easier to be good now. It takes 5 minutes to set t-trains up, and read through the thousand-and-one guides floating around. It's simple to access good information to give someone a decent grounding in the theory of the game; combine that with a little luck and common-sense and it's relatively easy for a first-world player to be top 20.

Oh, and by the way: Hai! <3

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9021

Hi=p

Me and Dyster wants to play w60 to celebrate good old times from w6.. a reunion party. Ahhh ye but I love scripts henchy, it made me a pro=)

Hey cocca :) My last reunion was tons of fun but ended in a sort of bitter slide into inactivity. Is w60 going to have decent settings?

Most worlds suck when it come to things like propaganda these days. W30 was the last world I played that had anything decent, W54 was particularly bad though. Fun to bait people on, but that's about it.

But expanding on what you said with Opera and noble trains, the simple fact is that it is easier to be good now. It takes 5 minutes to set t-trains up, and read through the thousand-and-one guides floating around. It's simple to access good information to give someone a decent grounding in the theory of the game; combine that with a little luck and common-sense and it's relatively easy for a first-world player to be top 20.

Oh, and by the way: Hai! <3

<3 Cuddles and snuggles!

You playing any worlds right now?

DeletedUser

Yeah, coing mattcurr on Masters at the moment. Might play W60, but not seriously; exams are soon and all.

What about you?

DeletedUser

Hey cocca :) My last reunion was tons of fun but ended in a sort of bitter slide into inactivity.

Like every other world you ever played :p

Mine always end in a bitter slide into disinterest :p

DeletedUser

Or scardy-ness. Don't deny it, you totally fled in fear on the idea I was jumping to the Zombie front. :icon_wink:

mattcurr

Not to disagree Paj (but I will anyway, because I like talking to myself and you are blocked which I find funny ^^), but some of the best players in the game are 'old school'. Just look at Mattcurr or Pervis.

A good player is a good player. Lack of adaptability just indicates someone sucks, and that the 'old school' player shouldn't have been considered any good in the first place.

In saying that though, I completely understand the pure laziness that can drive not picking up new techniques. Scripts still confuse me. :icon_redface:

I have to agree with paj if he means to say if you took me from 2007, I would kill myself from back then, I didnt get good at the game till world 15ish, and I maintain an ability to be top 10 on every world I join because I continued to play. Back in 2007 2008 I was considered good because I sniped the 10 second trains that were sent at me, now sniping a 100 ms train is no big deal and common place. He is right to say most old school players suck. They do, and there is a reason why most of them are not recruited for the tribes pervis and I make, most of our group of players is newer. Though I will say one thing, the cream of crop in our groups are the older ones. Except you Idk how you get in <3

Last edited:

2hot2handle

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Though I will say one thing, the cream of crop in our groups are the older ones.

In age of course . :)
I haven't really read the thread but from what I can see , you are either good at this game or not. It doesn't really matter how long you have played for. Some people pick it up pretty fast and will remain good however long they play for , some are mediocre and some no matter how long they play they wont improve much.
To add , the 'old school players' always rely on some newer farming 'helper' generally ;)

<3

mattcurr

In age of course . :)
I haven't really read the thread but from what I can see , you are either good at this game or not. It doesn't really matter how long you have played for. Some people pick it up pretty fast and will remain good however long they play for , some are mediocre and some no matter how long they play they wont improve much.
To add , the 'old school players' always rely on some newer farming 'helper' generally ;)

<3

Depends on the player level sure, but show me a new player who has a good grasp on strategy and leading. Most of them are the older players, I find that new players know the tactics, in part because we have laid them all out already but lack an understanding of application. I mean the fact that land times are widely used still is a great example of this. Most war hardened older players understand the flaws in that strategy, the newer ones are caught on the tactic of timing an opp like that. Timing in general, which is hugely favored by newer players, is a strategic flaw in most cases imo.

DeletedUser

I have to agree with paj if he means to say if you took me from 2007, I would kill myself from back then, I didnt get good at the game till world 15ish, and I maintain an ability to be top 10 on every world I join because I continued to play. Back in 2007 2008 I was considered good because I sniped the 10 second trains that were sent at me, now sniping a 100 ms train is no big deal and common place. He is right to say most old school players suck. They do, and there is a reason why most of them are not recruited for the tribes pervis and I make, most of our group of players is newer. Though I will say one thing, the cream of crop in our groups are the older ones. Except you Idk how you get in <3

True enough, I think we all would like to expunge past selves on this game. I know I do. xP

It's really a mix of both factors; natural abilities in addition to experience. Older players may have the experience, the new ones the talent. Those that have both can be exceptional. The big thing with newer players being so good is, as you say, the fact everything is laid out for them and they don't have to go into the finer workings of it, nor why things are as they are.

As for how I get in... I'm just that awesome. My charisma is irresistible, I'm like a magnet, you just can't get away. Or that could just be the chains, but whatever. All that matters is you love meh. <3

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Depends on the player level sure, but show me a new player who has a good grasp on strategy and leading. Most of them are the older players, I find that new players know the tactics, in part because we have laid them all out already but lack an understanding of application. I mean the fact that land times are widely used still is a great example of this. Most war hardened older players understand the flaws in that strategy, the newer ones are caught on the tactic of timing an opp like that. Timing in general, which is hugely favored by newer players, is a strategic flaw in most cases imo.

You always my hero matt :)