Would you change anything if you had it to do over again.

DeletedUser

If I knew then what I know now what would I change about my decisions?

Many things come to me but I will try to make a list:

I would change little about my early experiences. I joined G.Khan from Legion and was still pretty much a noob with a penchant for exploiting rules in games and more time than alot of people.

1st real change Have back up plans in leadership. Fairly early on I would have asked for our leadership in G.Khan to be backed up with leaders in training. I've noticed most successful tribes have quite a few affective leaders. We were down to 1 leader much too quickly. While we had an advantage of perhaps the tightest tribal forum in the game our leadership degenerated very quickly. I was a bandaid for a bandaid. Sad really. I truly believe I could fight well enough to have taken quite a chunk out of some people to my west and supported allies much easier(which is overrated in my opinion but symbolically important). I dont know if this change was possible.

2nd change I would spend little time not actively at war specifically, I would have attacked a tribe called FFDD. This was opposed by the bandaid leader whom I replaced and It was a huge mistake. I did not feel strong enough in my position to commit to my true aggressive beliefs for almost any game. Soon Legion confirmed an alliance with them and later they became leg1on. I had the potential power to make this happen. When we didnt make this attack G.Khan for the first time stopped advancing. The players we had were not excited by mini squabbles and many great fighters quit. Theres no guarantee but I think this was a huge spot and I blew it. We blew it and Legion blew it. One of my basic beliefs is that TWA just had the better players for a long-term goal, but keeping our strongest fighters engaged and having the advantages we had I wouldnt just surrender a win by any means and perhaps the advantages lay in our corner. We got comfortable and they got committed.

3rd change I would have contacted the leaders of Aggression earlier. I didnt realize how closely we were on our opinions of gameplay. Mapwise this was a huge problem. I did not find them lacking in willingness they found us lacking in comittment. Happened way too late for what was left of us in the core. Perhaps it could have influenced MM a bit differently.

4th I wouldnt have recruited players who werent nearby until much later stage, esp with a green leader like myself. We recruited some excellent players and ended up leaving them too exposed and they became problematic. A better leader could have made it work.

5th change: I would quit if no leader arose and tried not to let it bother me. A leader without vision will bring down a tribe. I didnt want to do the big picture thing and had no adequate replacement. I knew I had this problem. I would be better as only a piece to the puzzle not the person putting it together.

In game Changes: Very few

I would never stop barbarians from growing:

I'm probably alone on this but barbs growing feeds farmers and feeds great players. Often a bad player has no idea what to do with a village and the expansion in this world was simple. No need to change it...it was a fact of life and should have remained

No joint forums:

It just seems like a way for people from other tribes to get frustrated and is another unnecessary way to insult people.

I also noticed a new feature where claims within tribe are kept up with. I really like that.

I will think of other things but this is something to chew on if anyone cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser67005

Well thought out, Martin...

I don't have much to say on this topic, however... :S

Perhaps if our diplomatic section (AoO) had worked on some form of an agreement with INF/MM during our war with K family... We were doing well taking on those four tribes, but couldn't hold the fort against K, And MM at the same time. If I (or any diplomat, we were all decent :) had worked on an arrangment, UA may have had another major eastern threat...

Though in that case, MM would not have received players like Mudge, Jmc, dr dreamy, and a couple others... :S

I truly do not know which method would have turned out better in the long run...

DeletedUser

I would have liked to be more active. I guess that could be said about the other 90% of the players that don't play this world anymore.

DeletedUser67005

You would have "liked" to be more active? "Liked" to have sucked more of your life away via TW? :S

DeletedUser

I had to delete nearly 2 pages of posts that had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD.

Let's try to steer this back on topic so I don't have to close it.

DeletedUser

My response "nope" was completely to do with the thread. I am sorry if my lack of regret isn't acceptable. I'll try to be more miserable in future...

DeletedUser

Okay, my new regret is not spamming enough so that all the mods didn't just quit.

DeletedUser67005

But all the mods did quit. How many did we go through?... :S

DeletedUser

9 or so. I've been infracted my 12 different mods, I could go through them and give you guys a timeline of the w18 ones. lol

DeletedUser67005

My bad, speed typing... :)

I meant I have not been infracted by that many mods... :S

DeletedUser

If I knew what I know now I would have nobled a few more of my neighbours built up G.A. or name? (I changed it so I would less likely get attacked which did not work) more and I would have avoided my first defeat maybe I would have deleted a few posts when I was the last duke of G.A. I would have also built LC in my first village. if everyone knew what they do now from the start then the game would be different.

DeletedUser

LOL Green. G.A.! That tribe had the poorest leadership ever (i.e. hanrahan and MP5SD7), hence why I left and took the southern brigade with me, many of which are still tribe mates.

The only thing I would change is how long I originally played without PA, I had no idea how beneficial it is and I could have likely grown much more had I had been using it, I think I played close to my first year with no PA. I would definatly change this.

DeletedUser

I would like to have done some things differently. I believe I made some mistakes. I also saw things as the world vs Apoc before It seemed others did. They attacked us earlier than others I guess so what can you do. I will say that i'm not shocked at how things have turned out in this world. I think you might could see from very early on that I said this would would end quickly.

I can totally understand that some made more educated decisions and thus feel they made few mistakes. Just thought some might feel differently. I would say that those in opposition to Apoc might recognize some things that cost them. The winners of course probably wouldnt feel the same.

DeletedUser67005

I made mistakes, as did everyone. Mine, and others amongst, seemed more costly... :S

DeletedUser

I have to ammend my previous response:

I should have insisted that Apoc-W participated in the shared Apoc claim system. Cal- & Rattlesnake8 consistently rejected this and I now know why: They clearly wanted to remain seperate from Apoc. In fact they wanted the associated rows over cross-nobling in order to generate a feeling of "them" and "us" in order to further their own objectives.

The reason we didn't push this was simply we didn't want to fragment Apoc at a time when Martin's attempts to bring the rest of the world together might have bourne fruit. Maybe that was the right decision but it still "erks" me!