WWII discussion thread

DeletedUser60182

Lets stay off topic for a bit :). Germany was a mid-level economic pwr, similar to Gr. Britain and France. Russia in the war sped up the inevitable but Germany simply didn't have the resources to win the war. Their early success was a product of radios in tanks and a coordinated plan using armor - France actually had comparable armor (#'s and quality of tanks) but neither of the above.

It was a doomed enterprise once America entered the war, with or without Russian involvement. That being said, Russian involvement seriously shortened the war and drastically reduced the Allied (American) losses.

3 specefic battles changed the course of WWII:
Stalingrad, the first and probably the most important.
El Alamein, not as major but almost as decisive. Preceeded the allies taking northern africa and gaining a huge stepping stone in the mediteranean from which the could create a new front for the Axis powers, in Italy.
The battle of midway was I think the first loss for the Japanese and was basically the point at which the americans made their first decisive hit on Japan.

DeletedUser71940

War starts in 1939 with invasion of Poland, Nazi-Commie pact between Stalin and Hitler,
British army is defeated and is forced to flee. France is occupied. Hitler attacks Russia, Russia was the only main country opposing Germany, others were all being sissy sass. Britain had Blitz, French were busy giving in(Just the usual trend), Polish were being purged, same with the Eastern Block.

Was it december '41 when it involved the Americans? Somewhere along in 41, Americans are involved and are "Island Hopping" in the Pacific claiming that the Americans are the large attributor to the Hitler's downfall is as ignorant as believeing that elmos are real.

British + Americans D-Day landing in June 1944, some 5 years after the start of the war, a bit late. All that slow trudging and liberating of the Western Europe untill Berlin. Meanwhile Russia > Germany and begins reclaiming the Eastern Bloc, which later become its satellite states. Russia moves towards Berlin.

Americans + British + A bit of French -----> Berlin <----- Russians

Hitler kills himself sometime during the period of time when the allies had reached the Berlin. Berlin split into 4(French, America, Britain and Russia) so's Germany.

Americans go the easy way(Again) to solve the war and decide to drop a nuclear bomb heedless of the consequences caused by it(How typical). War ends in Pacific with the surrender of Japan in August 1945.

Russia was the major attributor to the victory of the allies, if it weren't as big as it was, it would have been conquered as were the other countries, thousands of villages were burned yet the spirit was maintained, the Russians began to push the Nazis back after the battle of Stalingrad and Germans just began to generally lose(Everywhere.). America admittingly finished the war in the Pacific but with a way that I, personally find disgusting and irrational, many do so as well.

My knowledge is vague and I know the basics, I mainly studied the Cold War, Russian Revolution, World War 1 and the Rise and Fall of the communist state.

DeletedUser60182

i personally agree with the atomic bomb. Saved a lot of lives on our side, which however bad it sounds, was all that mattered at that time. Considering the amount of allied lives lost on the island hopping, the numbers lost on mainland we're of huge proportion.

+ Russia attacked Japan too in 1945, invading manchuria.

And I'm not sure that D-Day was a bit late considering that there was the invasion of sicily/Italy in 1943.

Without any of the allies, the war could of arguably gone the other way, but definitely dragged out for many years more. However, personally feel Russia was the only country that could turn the tide. The americans could use britain as a stepping stone, aswell as the mediteranean, but without Russia, would have either of failed (imo) or been of epic proportions in losses.

Sadly, the downfall of the british empire post-45 pisses me off :icon_neutral:. The 2nd war polished us off pretty much as the superpower of the world, also removed our naval superiority.

ahh well, Rule Brittania :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser71940

Admirals argue blockade was weakaning Japan's resolve to fight, could have just starved them for few months rather than use atmoic weaponary that would damage the population for generations, making millions of people suffer just because they are the descendants or were unfortunate enough to live in the poisoned areas. Despite the atomic blast not being as bad as Chernobyl, the mutanic defections that occur even to the present day are unjustified and Americans responsible should have been judged with those Nazi War Criminals.(truman springs to mind)

Russia would have held out, please Hitler would never scamper enough troops from all the Europe to succesfully occupy Russia - It's just too big, partisan tactics > German convoys. Cold temperatures > German poorly equipped soldiers, no german convoys no equipment, half the millitary would have died because of the environment alone.

Britain could have achieved the invasion by themselves, without the help of the Americans, which was useless to be honest. I like that French general, pompous little bastard, claiming the liberation of Paris as his own while he was cowering in Britain.

DeletedUser60182

ahhh de gaulle :D. lol.

Actually, we did invade by ourselves, but it failed, misreably :(.
Still, we learnt everything we applied in 1944.

I'm not sure about russia, he got pretty far in already. Still, I dont know enough.

Personally, I'm far more interested in the first world war. Much grittier.

DeletedUser

Honestly I think America sees to much of itself, what people don't realize was that USSR was "freeing nations" like Poland under it's own rule and america only joined it to stop USSR power huggle.

DeletedUser71940

The communist state was a big fraud, none of the nations actually wanted to be communist, the elections were biased and rigged, so the communist parties won - the communist revolution in Greece had only failed because the Western nations interfered, that marked the end of the Communist "Empire" and the western europe such as France were saved from the threat of commmunism, imagine communist French?

Admittingly Russia had liberated Eastern Europe from Nazis but they still rigged the elections so the countries would be communist, no indepence but a part of the Soviet Union. Definately didn't free just imprisoned in a different way, if USSR had not swallowed the Eastern Bloc, they would more likely have a better economy, standards of living and there would have been no need to immigrate to different countries due to the lower standards of living.

DeletedUser

Even though unoficially, USSR occupied the countries in the Eastern Block (with it's own army) and kept it there until the local leadership understood that they either do it the way the russians want it, or the russian force them.

For example, USSR withdrew their troops from Romania in the 1960's, more than 15 years after the end of WWII. Of course, with a foreign army stationed on your land, while your army is out liberating other countries from the nazis... fraud almost wasn't needed anymore to make the election go the "proper" way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser71940

Well the Eastern Bloc didn't have any choice anyway, the only parties that were left were mainly communists, other parties were eradicated/purged so only the communists remain behind, you wanted a government? Communism was the only one there.

DeletedUser

Thats why I gouted the word liberated, Russia was going to own all of eastern europe and more and that is one of the only and main reason America joined in the european front.

You never hear American telling easteners we saved your ass in WW2...

DeletedUser71940

Well you never hear the British telling to the Americans "We made you" :p

DeletedUser60182

Thats why I gouted the word liberated, Russia was going to own all of eastern europe and more and that is one of the only and main reason America joined in the european front.

You never hear American telling easteners we saved your ass in WW2...

You do realise Germany declared war on America don't you? :icon_surprised:, luckily for us anyway since there was a high chance that America would of stayed out of the European theatre.

DeletedUser71940

Nah, America kinda declared war on Germany after Germany attempted to spur on Mexicans to attack America and it's telegram was caught by the Americans lol.

Then the whole argument "Let's destroy Fascism worldwide" came in, meanwhile British were getting their asses handed back to them in Africa, which then ofcourse turned tides later on.

DeletedUser60182

Nah, America kinda declared war on Germany after Germany attempted to spur on Mexicans to attack America and it's telegram was caught by the Americans lol.

Then the whole argument "Let's destroy Fascism worldwide" came in, meanwhile British were getting their asses handed back to them in Africa, which then ofcourse turned tides later on.

lol, love the last part. We we're :icon_cry:.

Wasn't the mexican telegram part WWI?

DeletedUser71940

Might be, might have mixed them up Zimmer telegram or something, I thought lousiana was the cause of WW1?

DeletedUser60182

Might be, might have mixed them up Zimmer telegram or something, I thought lousiana was the cause of WW1?

I'm pretty sure it was WWI. the louisiana incident i'm pretty sure was just used as propoganda to ease america out of isoloationism.

DeletedUser71940

Yeah I got the World War 1 and Two mixed up then, the Zimmer telegram was in the first one right?

DeletedUser60182

Yeah I got the World War 1 and Two mixed up then, the Zimmer telegram was in the first one right?

Don't know what you mean by zimmer, but if you mean the german-mexican telegram provoking them to attack america then yeh, im pretty sure.

DeletedUser71940

"U.S. declaration of war on Germany

After the British revealed the telegram to the United States, President Wilson, who had won reelection on his keeping the country out of the war, released the captured telegram as a way of building support for U.S. entry into the war. He had previously claimed neutrality, while calling for the arming of U.S. merchant ships delivering munitions to combatant Britain and quietly supporting the British blockading of German ports and mining of international waters, preventing the shipment of food from America and elsewhere to combatant Germany. After submarines sank seven U.S. merchant ships and the publication of the Zimmerman telegram, Wilson called for war on Germany, which the U.S. Congress declared on 6 April 1917"

I did get it confused with the first war :D