Step-by-step guide to making a graphical map

mattcurr

Ok Im going to start a thread in the off topic section asking for map makers then we can make a competition out here.

mattcurr

I have a cheap adobi... Its like 60 i think. Photoshop elements.

DeletedUser

None of you guys ever ran into Flatty, did you ? :)

he was a bit obscured in ally's shadow, but imho, he was the best map maker of W10.
Which, all things considered would make him of one (if not the) best in the game.
His maps were not the prettiest, but very creative. I'll try to find you examples of his "diseased cell" and "Christmas lights" maps.

DeletedUser19130

I'm getting really pist off

On the tutorial it says

5) Using the EYEDROPPER tool, select the colour of the first tribe. Then do SELECT > COLOR RANGE. Select "sampled colors" at fuzziness 4. Then hit OK. You should now see loads of "marching ants" around the tribe colour you selected.

SELECT > MODIFY >EXPAND. Expand by 1 px.
SELECT > MODIFY > SMOOTH. Smooth by 1px.

6) Now, with the correct tribe layer selected, choose the gradient tool, and make a gradient. Play about with this till you figure out what you like best. Don't make the change in gradient too strong though, just a small variation is enough to remove the "flat" look that solid colour gives.
Then, click and drag your mouse across the selected area, and release.

SELECT > DESELECT (or CTRL + D) to see what you've just done.

7) Now we need to add an outline and a shadow. In your layers panel, double-click the layer and you'll get a "layer style" menu. We need to make a new style.
Click "drop shadow" and adjust this until it looks good.
Then click "stroke" and set this to 1px "outside", and make it black. Click the "new style" button and this adds your new style to the "style" option at the top, so you don't have to keep repeating the process (from now on you can just click "style" then choose the style you just created!).
Hit OK.

Here's what it should look like:

I do everything it says but at the end of it all I still see those damned "marching ants"... they wont go away and im getting flustered

any help please?

mattcurr

Select-> Unselect or deselect all

I personally dont like this guide. No offense I just think it makes inaccurate maps since you are delete sections of the tribes.

DeletedUser

Maybe I will make a guide one day... Nah. Not till I quit. :icon_razz:

DeletedUser19130

How do you keep the continent grid on there when you do all the effects to background?

DeletedUser

How do you keep the continent grid on there when you do all the effects to background?

Make a new layer, put it right above the background. Select this layer. Then use the eyedropper and click the grid. Select -> color range -> fill.

Now you have your grid :)

DeletedUser

Make a new layer, put it right above the background. Select this layer. Then use the eyedropper and click the grid. Select -> color range -> fill.

Now you have your grid :)
that is actually a much better and easier way then allyboo says in her guide.

crom

that is actually a much better and easier way then allyboo says in her guide.
But you end up with tiny little gaps in the grid where there were villages on top of the continent grid line. I do what Stomp says, can't figure out the damn pen :icon_razz: but Allyboo's way is more accurate

DeletedUser

i just noticed:) although that doesn't matter if the world has only just begun and you enlarge the selection by 3 pixels it will go over the line anyway.
i just wanted to make sure the grid is above al other so i traced it with the pencil and destroyed those dots:icon_twisted:

still a much better way than allyboo's

DeletedUser

But you end up with tiny little gaps in the grid where there were villages on top of the continent grid line. I do what Stomp says, can't figure out the damn pen :icon_razz: but Allyboo's way is more accurate

Well usually the dots go over the little gaps, atleast for me they do :icon_redface:

You can try to enlarge the grid by 1 pixel if you really want them to go away :icon_wink:

Ray Joakim

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
i just noticed:) although that doesn't matter if the world has only just begun and you enlarge the selection by 3 pixels it will go over the line anyway.
i just wanted to make sure the grid is above al other so i traced it with the pencil and destroyed those dots:icon_twisted:

still a much better way than allyboo's

A cleaner and far more straight forward way would be to simply take a blank map with a grid line; the grid in twstats goes over unmarked villages. Simply paste the blank map into your program, isolate the grid and then copy and paste it into your main image as a layer over the others. You could also save it as a template for future use.