[Guide] Rams

DeletedUser

Unfortunately for my aching brain, Leandro wasn't quite right :(

But with some help from 4leaf, I've finally got the last piece of the puzzle. I've also edited the guide to include the effect of various tech levels into the calculations.

And, after taking a look at v5.x, it appears that they've updated the battle system once more :icon_cry:

Rams aren't as damaging per unit as they used to be, but can lower the wall by 3/4 it's original level for the fighting phase instead of only 1/2. Dunno if it's a glitch, or if it's intentional. But if it's here to stay, expect to reconfigure your attacking setups ;)

DeletedUser

Unfortunately for my aching brain, Leandro wasn't quite right :(
On which "quite" part exactly? On my server (W1.NL) the same calculations never showed an error, so I'm very curious if there is a difference between different countries and their combat-formulae.

And, after taking a look at v5.x, it appears that they've updated the battle system once more :icon_cry:
Never thought of that one .. but untill v5.0 the updates didn't have effect on the ram-part of the calculations in "my world" (just checked it in a 7 months old excel file). Are we both talking about the "old-world where arrows weren't invented"?

DeletedUser

so whats verdict on this?
219 Rams is the most one should send one an attack to take advantage of a ram's ability to lower wall bonuses?
But you send more to Lower the wall level even more? is that it?

DeletedUser

Yeah, although you'll want to build a few extra rams in all of your villages for the purposes of fakes.

DeletedUser

There is no one set point. It's a function where as the number of rams increases the amount of the bonus negated approaches some value. As you increase the number of rams you continually get closer to that value. Eventually you get to the point where that change in value ends up being rounded off but the point at which it is always rounded off depends on the specifics of the battle.

DeletedUser

no, that is incorrect.

It's a function where as the number of rams increases, the levels the wall is temporarily downgraded increases.

But wall levels are integers.
There is no such thing as a "level 10.5 wall"

It's either a level 11 wall, with a 1.037^11 defense modifier,
or a level 10 wall, with a 1.037^10 defense modifier.

Nowhere in the battle, will the wall ever give a 1.037^10.5 defense modifier.

the set points for bonus negation are:

rams_n10.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

any unit can be really confusing, but rams, nobles and cats can be this confusing or even worse if it really goes into detail

DeletedUser

Thanks for sharing this great guide.

Cheesesaurus, did you notice the images are gone?

DeletedUser

Someone give me an example using the formula, and verify it with the simulator. Would like to see some examples instead of "this guide is great" answers. I have tried the formulas out and can't get them to work.

Rate the guide when you have tried it out :icon_evil:

DeletedUser

I used the table-images and not the formula's. I assume they give the same results.

I found the catapult formula's and then made a mistake in simulating the catapult numbers when I forgot to take religion into account, maybe this is happening to you?

DeletedUser

I used the table-images and not the formula's. I assume they give the same results.

I found the catapult formula's and then made a mistake in simulating the catapult numbers when I forgot to take religion into account, maybe this is happening to you?

:icon_surprised: Hey could you explain me how? :icon_eek:

DeletedUser

I read a foreign forum. There I found a post with a formula for the amount of catapults needed to demolish a level x building. From there the formula for the amount of damage done by x catapults to a level y building was an easy guess.

The real number-crunching where you take a lot of simulator data and compare that to estimated formulas was done by someone else.

Last edited by a moderator: