An Observation

• Thread starter DeletedUser100696
  • Start date

DeletedUser98416

Citing Wikipedia here:

[spoil]The current Dalai Lama
Tenzin_Gyatzo_foto_1.jpg
[/spoil]

Advice: You should go see the movie 'Seven years in Tibet'. You'll understand ;)

Doctor Jeroen said:
I was just helping Black Rider^^

tnx mate :) haha i think i will read...sounds intresting ;)

now i think we moved lil off topic..sry for that ;)

DeletedUser

I was just helping Black Rider^^[/COLOR]
sarcasm is always lost in text...

And spamming^^
and then other things get lost if you don't look close enuff! :icon_eek:

Well, this thread certainly is interesting :icon_smile: I hope some more older people add their opinions to it to be honest. Its always good to have some insight...
some of us are "old", so to speak... if you mean: been around playing previous worlds and been part of past world pnp, there are more than you know that are around, at least reading, others are posting (such as myself) ...we only rather use our current alias than to make it so obvious.

DeletedUser100696

So the thread is going off topic but I believe that this may have something to do with it.

Why do people form alias' to play under and post under? Is it because they got flamed and do not want to continue to be flamed even if they have a valid point? Or is it just that they like to switch their names around?

DeletedUser98416

i saw that part where he said about spamming... just didnt wanned to discover him... but guess all ppl are ninjas today
me be ninja too ;)
:icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

So the thread is going off topic but I believe that this may have something to do with it.

Why do people form alias' to play under and post under? Is it because they got flamed and do not want to continue to be flamed even if they have a valid point? Or is it just that they like to switch their names around?

I have a nice list of them :p

I like them because no one knows who you are.

Also its always a bit of competition to get the best username, although everyone has a different oppion of what that is. Some co-playing players name their user between them, and many premades now tell their players to have set usernames.

So really, if people start hating you change it. If you get really good and change it, put your old name on your profile for bragging rights.

DeletedUser

I have an alias for nearly every new world I play. (And I've played quite the few...)

If I wouldn't, I'd get spammed upon too much, and as soon as I start a world without an alias (meaning I'd use the same name on every world) I'd get spiked my ass off as soon as a world starts. All villages around me would be spiked by spears. I've had that on Dutch servers, and then started to use aliasses. Also, I like to be able to pretend I'm a little noobie, when starting a world. Nobody knowing who I am. Just having fun, meeting people, and having fun with them. Regardless of who I am.

Just my opinion though^^

DeletedUser

Some people, like Doctor Jeroen has mentioned, do so because they believe they will get spammed, villages around them will get spiked and so forth. Though I think there may be a slight disconnect between perception and reality when people give this reason. I've known many great players through out the years who have kept the same username and haven't had any problems succeeding.

Some people do it to fit into a tribe theme.

Some do it because they are trying to leave behind a bad reputation.

Some do it because they like the attention people may give them trying to figure out who they are.

Some because they are playing disposable accounts (co-played accounts or accounts that will eventually be passed on to a different player as the world progresses).

Some, like myself, do it because they've been away for so long they no longer remember their passwords.

Personally, I'm not a fan of aliases. I look at your username as a brand, and brands have intangible value. Your name is a shortcut to knowing who you are as a player / person and what you represent. For those who have played long enough, when you hear a name like Thargoran, ask yourself what do you instantly associate that name with?

If you play well and carry yourself well both inside and outside of your tribe, you're throwing away a powerful tool. The weight of your words is diminished when you're talking to people who do not know who you are. Of course, if people know who you are and you really make a big mistake or you're afraid you might, and you do not carry yourself well then it makes sense to use aliases because then you can wash yourself of the failures and claim only the successes.

ToPaT

I never use an alias. I'm just good ole' ToPaT.

If I didn't use ToPaT, then I wouldn't be able to have mudkipz and I lurv dem mudkipz too much.

DeletedUser100646

basically this thread is a way of flaming flamers in a long-winded high and mighty way and it's just as pointless and opinionated as any flaming could be accused of being, just with longer words and less 0's.

Thanks for all the fish.

DeletedUser

an alias is used for many reason... most of which has been listed already...

DeletedUser

basically this thread is a way of flaming flamers in a long-winded high and mighty way and it's just as pointless and opinionated as any flaming could be accused of being, just with longer words and less 0's.

Thanks for all the fish.

There is a distinction to be made between talking about a problem and flaming. Trying to equate this to "flaming the flamers" is a false equivalence, it's just not the same thing. Though I see how you could come to that conclusion being it's pointed at a certain group of people.

In most flame fests however its about name calling and discrediting something based on a triviality, like it appears you are attempting to do.

DeletedUser

There is one more reason to use a alias actually... Not to leave a bad rep, but a reasonably good one behind. Because you wish to completely start over anew. Like myself :icon_smile:

Anyway, this thread is interesting. The OP spoke of flaming the new people... If you wish to see this in the extreme I suggest trying to fit into the OT. ^^

DeletedUser

An interesting thread, certainly. I often think that every forum could do with a thread like this, as it serves as a reminder to at least a few posters, that it is possible to have a discussion, even an argument, without it getting in any way barbed or petty.

An interesting post, surely. But please don't come on here and pass off your opinion as fact. It's annoying, and you end up just sounding arrogant. Nobody's going to be reminded of anything just because you say it. In fact, saying stuff like this, it begs the question why do you feel the need to say anything at all? Hmm?

It is a sad inevitability that as a player gets more used to a game, they are wont to forget what it is like to be a new player, fresh faced and enthusiastic about both the game and the forum. The temptation to prove one's "popularity" by using the fact that they are better known than this new player to shoot them down (in a way that I guess is satisfying to some) seems to be too difficult to bear. This does lead to a situation where we do end up with the same posters posting again and again, because all the new posters get pushed away by the elitist feel that some forums have, as has already been mentioned. Of course, this feeling varies from world to world, depending on who joins, etc. etc.
You are silly and your thoughts incorrect, good sir! It has less to do with popularity and more to do with vexation. Surely you'd know this if you spent more time on the forums and less time cruising around large bodies of water. Also, it is worth noting that I find your ability to garden wanting. And you have a silly hat.

There are a few posts I'd like to address in this thread. In an attempt to keep this shorter than my normal ramblings, I'll spoiler them so that people can pick and choose which they want to read :p
Oh. Imagine that. You want to address points. Let's look, shall we?

World Hopping:
[spoil]

This rather interesting point often has more devastating consequences for forums than most people realise. When a plethora of premades join a world, dominate the forums for two months or so, and then quit, the resulting "power vacuum" left on the forum often never recovers. What happens is that the "elite" premade players are often so derogatory of other players, that the sheer animosity created by all the battling egos alienates those actually willing to have an argument and listen to the other side. When the premades move on to another world, they take with them all the, albeit hate-filled, activity, leaving a dead forum that either struggles on with the same level of nasty flaming that is all the new users have ever known, or dies a death because everyone still playing the world abandoned the forum a long time ago. A very good example of this was w39, which turned into a graveyard when all the premades left, and was a pretty nasty place to post before they did.
[/spoil]
Oh yea? While you may think that people take their activity to newer worlds and leave older ones with "power vacuum"s (really it's more like an ego vacuum), I would suggest to you that those posters are so cool and amazing that without them there'd never be a reason to post on the forums at all. I mean, obviously more people like them than others, or why would they keep getting into new premades? Without cool people like that that come onto the forums thinking they're really good and insulting everyone who might not be, what do you think the forums would be filled with?

Noobs bashing noobs? Puh lease. Never gonna happen, Petn. Nobody else is cool or has a valid opinion. Fact.

Helpfulness:
[spoil]

Try being a mod for 3 years, Jeroen :p

I'm singling out this post as we really, really appreciate it when normal users take the time to be helpful, and I don't think we offer our gratitude anywhere near enough for this kind of patience. It is aggravating, especially when you are really trying to help and you can see the flames towering up behind them “like…dem things, what only comes in…fours. Aagragaah. It mean lit’rally der time when you see dem little pebbles and you jus’ know dere’s gonna be a great big landslide on toppa you and it already too late to run. Dat moment, dat’s aagragaah.” In the words of one Sergeant Detritus.

There will always be those who are too thick-skulled to see that you are trying to help them, there will always be those who will throw caution and advice to the wind and manage to post that mind-bogglingly bad post which brings the wolves pouring down on them, but every now and then, we do save a young lamb from the slaughter, and in my opinion, every amount of frustration is worth it if it brings another intelligent poster into the fold :)
[/spoil]
And you call yourself a mod. dat's? jus'? dem? Your English is awful, dear comrade. A few times in there, instead of words, you just typed out sounds. Lol? Nobody understands what you're even talking about! Why even post such silly assumptions?

I mean, really. If you can't post something cool and worth my (my because I'm the only one reading this and therefore the only one it should be entertaining to) time, just don't post at all. Kthx.

Finally, my own views on P&P
[spoil]I will say this before I say anything else: I know that a lot of posters think that I look down on people who don't put any effort into their posts, who post for the sake of posting, and have no interest in having a discussion, only winning an argument at all costs. To be honest, they're probably right, but I do try to keep an open mind, and I will always give everyone the benefit of the doubt. However, if they want to have a discussion with me, I do expect them to make the effort to do exactly that - I have no time for petty flaming, and I will always consider it essentially pointless. However, I realise that some people enjoy it, and each to their own, so I will never stop it, unless I feel that it is crushing the attempts of others to have a proper discussion.

What do I think counts as P&P? The key ingredient is thought. Just an extra five minutes, re-reading that impulsive post to see if a) it actually adds anything to the thread, b) there is anything interesting that can be added to make it a better post, or hell, c) even to check that someone hasn't already answered the question one is about to ask. So many posts in every thread add little if anything to the conversation, and so many of them derail the thread to the extent that any hope of a decent discussion is lost. From my perspective, it's frustrating. Almost every thread has the potential to have a good discussion, even with flaming banter (there's no reason why it can't be done in moderation!), there's no reason to let each one degenerate into this mess of petty insults... but I digress. Giving out about other forms of "P&P" will probably not help my case :p The essence of the point is that the more thought has been put into a post, the less likely it is to take away from the thread in which it is posted.

There are three things that a good post contains. Thought, as above. Content, as described below, and Respect, which I will get to at the end.

Content is defined pretty obviously as that which the post contains. Obviously, every post has some content, so what defines good content? If you are answering another post, it needs to contain an answer. If it is addressing a general comment, it needs to contain a related statement of some sort, with a sufficient amount of thought put into it. If your post addresses a point in the thread, and gives your opinion, then that's good enough to post. If you post addresses more than one point in the thread and makes people think about their own responses, that's pretty good content. If your post not only addresses the points already in the thread, but brings to light some associated information and offers questions which carry the thread forward into a new wave of discussion, that's fantastic content, and I would be so happy if every post in the forum could be like this, even though I understand how that'll probably never happen. Ideally, every post in a thread should be of the last two types. However, content doesn't make a post on its own. In many ways, the way which the content is delivered makes as much of a difference as the information the post contains, which brings me to the last point, Respect.

There is a common conception among posters on these forums that regardless of the experience or ability of the person on the other side of the argument, if they disagree with you, they are an idiot. As I'm sure you can all imagine, and many of you know from first-hand experience, this does not lead to an interesting discussion, because everyone knows you can't reason with an idiot :icon_rolleyes:. What it does lead to is a reluctance to explain one's argument to the other side, or show any respect for the other side's views. This crushes discussion completely. The thread descends into a series of posts which goes from "No I'm right, you noob!" and topples over the rim of the endless pit that is petty and sometimes highly abusive insults. What can change this? Respect (Just a little bit). Do we lose anything if we assume, just for a second, that the other person might be capable of understanding coherent argument? Might they respond in kind if we give them a chance? I'm certainly willing to try, and I always try my best to provoke proper discussion when I post in a thread. Showing respect often allows respect in kind, and when we respect the person we are talking to, it leads to much better discussions, it leads to more enjoyable posting. Sure, you can still flame each other for your mistakes, but does it have to be that vicious? Are you that petty with your friends, when having a bit of banter? This is a game, after all, and sometimes I think that a lot of users could do to remember that it's meant to be fun... At the end of the day, a respectful, good natured post is more likely to garner a respectful, good natured response, and it is out of these posts that true discussion is formed.
[/spoil]
I'm not even reading all of that! Hahah! Joke's on you! You wrote it but I don't even care because if I don't read it then I can post whatever I want to in the hopes that I'll make you mad and be right in this inane (dare I say forced? Contrived, even?) argument we're having according to my friends who already think I'm right since they're my friends and therefore will immediately agree with me no matter who was actually right or had a good argument. No point reading it when I can just disagree with you.

I didn't even think about this post. And I definitely don't respect yours even enough to actually read it. But it doesn't matter; I think my point is proven. And if you disagree then it's obviously the case that you have poor reading skills.

It's true that most of my posts are rather longer than the average, and I realise that not everyone has the patience to read the whole thing (which is why I've started spoilering the points I make) but like everything in P&P, Compromises can be made. It's all about balancing. Balance your pictures with text. Balance your flaming with good-natured discussion, and most of all, balance your need to feel superior to others with a little bit of newb assistance every now and then!
Oh yea? Well my post was longer than yours. So there.

I'm sort of done with this. <3 Petn.

Tuzain, welcome to the TW forums. I hope you find out how to rise about a lot of the mudslinging that happens here; they can be a fun place in spite of it. And if you were mostly looking at w57 forums and speed world, then I can say you've probably seen the worst of the worst and you're judging based on that.

What Petn said was (mostly :p) true. World hoppers join, spam and flame, and then move on. Once they have, there's a good opportunity to create a strong, solid community in their wake. That's not to say all world hoppers are bad, or even that they don't serve their purpose. But the influx of players that know each other from past worlds and have vendettas against one another, mixed with a world in its early stages which doesn't have a whole lot to talk about? Creates a strange atmosphere for people jumping into the middle of it. It does improve with time, though. Just stick with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser98416

***enters this hell circle***

wow...well sir Greenskin, idk how to describe ur post tbh... it sounded preety "competitive" towards sir Petnquaranlor...not sure if u guys do this all time (compete eatch other in being elder moderator or something) but tbh i liked Petnquaranlor's point of view mutch more... :icon_redface:

***leaves hell circle, runs to corner and hides behind the wall before he gets ban***

DeletedUser

An interesting post, surely. But please don't come on here and pass off your opinion as fact. It's annoying, and you end up just sounding arrogant. Nobody's going to be reminded of anything just because you say it. In fact, saying stuff like this, it begs the question why do you feel the need to say anything at all? Hmm?

You are silly and your thoughts incorrect, good sir! It has less to do with popularity and more to do with vexation. Surely you'd know this if you spent more time on the forums and less time cruising around large bodies of water. Also, it is worth noting that I find your ability to garden wanting. And you have a silly hat.

Oh. Imagine that. You want to address points. Let's look, shall we?

Oh yea? While you may think that people take their activity to newer worlds and leave older ones with "power vacuum"s (really it's more like an ego vacuum), I would suggest to you that those posters are so cool and amazing that without them there'd never be a reason to post on the forums at all. I mean, obviously more people like them than others, or why would they keep getting into new premades? Without cool people like that that come onto the forums thinking they're really good and insulting everyone who might not be, what do you think the forums would be filled with?

Noobs bashing noobs? Puh lease. Never gonna happen, Petn. Nobody else is cool or has a valid opinion. Fact.

And you call yourself a mod. dat's? jus'? dem? Your English is awful, dear comrade. A few times in there, instead of words, you just typed out sounds. Lol? Nobody understands what you're even talking about! Why even post such silly assumptions?

I mean, really. If you can't post something cool and worth my (my because I'm the only one reading this and therefore the only one it should be entertaining to) time, just don't post at all. Kthx.

I'm not even reading all of that! Hahah! Joke's on you! You wrote it but I don't even care because if I don't read it then I can post whatever I want to in the hopes that I'll make you mad and be right in this inane (dare I say forced? Contrived, even?) argument we're having according to my friends who already think I'm right since they're my friends and therefore will immediately agree with me no matter who was actually right or had a good argument. No point reading it when I can just disagree with you.

I didn't even think about this post. And I definitely don't respect yours even enough to actually read it. But it doesn't matter; I think my point is proven. And if you disagree then it's obviously the case that you have poor reading skills.

Oh yea? Well my post was longer than yours. So there.

I'm sort of done with this. <3 Petn.

Tuzain, welcome to the TW forums. I hope you find out how to rise about a lot of the mudslinging that happens here; they can be a fun place in spite of it. And if you were mostly looking at w57 forums and speed world, then I can say you've probably seen the worst of the worst and you're judging based on that.

What Petn said was (mostly :p) true. World hoppers join, spam and flame, and then move on. Once they have, there's a good opportunity to create a strong, solid community in their wake. That's not to say all world hoppers are bad, or even that they don't serve their purpose. But the influx of players that know each other from past worlds and have vendettas against one another, mixed with a world in its early stages which doesn't have a whole lot to talk about? Creates a strange atmosphere for people jumping into the middle of it. It does improve with time, though. Just stick with it.

Your post was longer then Petn's, but only due to the quotes. If you hadn't quoted his entire post as well, your's wouldn't be even close to as long as his.
So you just failed. Epicly.

[spoil]Please don't banslap me, I won't argue with you for 2 months again now:icon_redface:[/spoil]

DeletedUser100646

And yet those world hoppers create a community in competition do they not? There are threads like this one in every world, and alliances made between tribes IG that are actually fostered by the very ego's that people claim to be disuniting and disrupting. TW is several different games rolled into one and the differing scales of management, man and spear means that there are different groups or types of players that excel at different stages, accepted. Anywayz.