The reason why we don't get many new TW players...

DeletedUser1546

I thought the wall of text post was a decent guide for new players. It's definitely one of the ways to play the game. Kudos for your survival in an environment that's pretty hostile to newbies.

DeletedUser

I think translating noob into english that he means keep your points low relative to your amount of troops. Don't build buildings that you don't need. That is what I got out of it anyway.

That's right. What meant that there is no point rushing to academy before being able to sustain 24/7 LC and axe quest.
A reccommended build order:
1. HQ 5, smithy 5, barracks 5, stables 3, lc research + 80-120 sp + 20-30 sw+ (some axes from quest award) + 6-8 level resrouce buildings.
Since this moment I spent my entire income on LC till I can sustain 24/7 recruitment. I build only warehouse, farms and increase my resource building by 1 per each new farm level. Exampe: if my farm is 8 and my resources are 6 when my farm reaches 20 the resources will be 18. This inevitably leads to iron shortage but the problem is easily solved trading coal and wood for iron at 1:1 ratio
2. Don't rush to an academy! This is very important. Start building your HQ when you have fulfilled 1. Don't build smithy until your HQ is at least 20. Then start upgrading the smithy and research catas and rams.
3. If you can spend 30-60 min per day it's much more useful to log in 12 times for 2-5 min. When you go to sleep spend all resources and send your troops to a distant village so they can return approximately when you are online again or a eventually a bit earlier.

The fact that my English is not very good and I don't always manage to express myself in the best way makes my post less trustworthy but see TWSTATS:
This was my account http://www.twstats.com/en64/index.php?page=player&id=9779078
This was the second strongest player on the continent who became number 1 when I left http://www.twstats.com/en64/index.php?page=player&id=4233487
He is very experienced and won world 28 but I still managed to be twice his size when I quit in the middle of November. I was the strongest player among all continent at a similar distance from the core.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser104941

I think translating noob into english that he means keep your points low relative to your amount of troops. Don't build buildings that you don't need. That is what I got out of it anyway.

Because belittling a newcomer makes you look like such a boss.

DeletedUser

To summarise:
1. Go offensive! Offense is the best defence! You can't win a long term conflict fortifying yourself cause the defensive troops have considerably smaller farming potential.
2. Make sure you read this guide
http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?137637-Guide-From-HQ1-gt-500-Villages
and follow it no matter how strange and illogical you find it
3. Offensive doesn't mean agressive, especially overagressive. Wait for the right moment to strike. Your early strategy should be divide and conquer. Be patient and wait for the right moment to attack.
4. Make some friends and be there for them when they need you. It won't hurt you. Ofc. that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice yourself for some retards.
5. Use twstats and tribalwarsmap
6. FARM as much as possible. The best farming unit is LC. Read the farming guides. Consider paying for Farm Assistant. It's really cheap and useful.
7. Keep your points as low as possibe and your troops to points ratio as high as possible.
8. Don't join mass recruiters.
9. Never let an alledged stronger and more experienced player to dictate you what to do. Even if he nobles you(let's be honest, such a thing is likely to happen), just restart but give him a hard time so he takes big losses.
10. Never underestimate another player!
11. This one is really important - never beg for mercy and never give up.
12. Have fun and never take things personally.

Well my friend, as a self proclaimed newbie you have impressed me. I have highlighted some things you said to address what I agree upon myself. It proves what I said here before: never underestimate another player or a newbie for that matter. Your tips are part of the micro aspect of the game, the macro aspect is another ballgame all together but soon you'll get the touch of it.

Point 7 i've put in italic. It's a strange way to say: don't be a pointwhore. No troops, no battle.

An important point I would like to add is: be organized and be consistent. Organisation keeps the time to maintain your villages to a minimum, if you have 10 or 1500, it should take exactly the same amount of time. Consistency is important to make sure you don't give up after losing some villas after a well orientated attack.

There are of course many micro aspects of the game that you didn't talk about. Like organizing and implementing def and off villas, where to put them or how to handle 1000 incomings to name a few. But all in all you are good on the way to become an experienced player with a mathematical insight into the game.

I am still scratching my head as to why this topic is sparking such a lengthy conversation lol...

There's nothing underhanded about this tactic so, if you find it to be to your style, it's just smart.

It's an interesting conversation. Especially for newcomers. I like to help them to give insight too, i don't see it as a waste of time, ever. You unnecessarily break down an attempt of a relatively new player to help other new players. We all start at 26 points and on a slow world like this, newbies have loads of time to get to learn the micro aspect of the game quicker than on faster worlds. See them learn and grow and don't be surprised if one day they actually take some villas from you.

As mkdbg said: never underestimate another player. Sometimes you don't see them coming.

DeletedUser

Ohhh... I see. I like to word it "Keep your troops high relative to your points" though :icon_wink:

As mkdbg said: never underestimate another player. Sometimes you don't see them coming.

I'm much too arrogant for this advice and it is useless to me :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

6. There are better farming methods than Farm Assistant. FA is convenient but inefficient (plus it costs extra money). Bookmark farming and scripts (tribalwarsfarmreport is one of the best scripts) can achieve better results than FA. I think bookmark farming works without premium; I don't know though as I've honestly never tried to seriously farm without premium.

What exactly makes bookmark farming more efficient than the FA? Aren't they basically the same thing? Bookmarks are faster to send but take a lot of time to set up. And while I love TWFR, I think it's pretty much unusable early on when there are still lots of other people competing for the same barbs. It gets seriously awesome at the multiple village stage though, and there it surpasses the FA's efficiency by far.

Obviously I would never spend money on FA if all these free alternatives were usable on mobile devices. But mass bookmarking doesn't work when you have a limit on tabs and the TWFR script doesn't load for some reason. ZomgTW works, and it would be pretty good if it didn't take so much time to send everything. So the FA is my current preferred farming method and I don't find it that inefficient.

DeletedUser

What exactly makes bookmark farming more efficient than the FA? Aren't they basically the same thing? Bookmarks are faster to send but take a lot of time to set up. And while I love TWFR, I think it's pretty much unusable early on when there are still lots of other people competing for the same barbs. It gets seriously awesome at the multiple village stage though, and there it surpasses the FA's efficiency by far.

Obviously I would never spend money on FA if all these free alternatives were usable on mobile devices. But mass bookmarking doesn't work when you have a limit on tabs and the TWFR script doesn't load for some reason. ZomgTW works, and it would be pretty good if it didn't take so much time to send everything. So the FA is my current preferred farming method and I don't find it that inefficient.

Precisely what I was thinking.

Herucles

My attempt at a polite restart mail below... Unfortunately the guy isn't quick to catch on...

Herucles Dec 06,2012 12:46
I realise you have just come back from a decent perios of inactivity - and I am sorry to report that in that time your neighbours have overtaken you massively in points, and in general you are a little behind your area...

Now, during your inactivity I did turn you into a very lucrative farm, so I understand if you see this as nothing more than me trying to trick you into giving up - but tbh I really think it is both our best interests if you restart.

People in the outercore will be less active, and many good players start a world late just to get more farms early - so I am sure you will find a good tribe. Please think about this seriously, as I am not just blindly typing 'noob restart' - I would just like the best for both of us.

Many thanks,

Herucles

Herucles Dec 06,2012 13:37
decent period*

Herucles Dec 06,2012 13:45
I understand you have a commitment to your tribe- but at the end of the day Verbil is bound to become my farm soon, and the other two will struggle to rally support for you. It is better to go sooner rather than drag out resistance, only to waste time better spent starting up elsewhere in my opinion...

Herucles Dec 06,2012 13:45
verbling* even

Targeryn Dec 06,2012 13:56
Now that I'm back from my nuclear and natural disaster field exercise I'm going to be on much more, and that means I'm just going to have to make my village worth less than it costs to farm. I didn't have internet where I was and even my wireless network on my phone had no signal. I never restart that easy, someone will have to noble me or everyone in the area would have to get 2,000 points ahead of me for me to even consider it. SRY but I'm going to defend with everything I can put up myself, and I'm not going to be very worried about gathering support.

Herucles Dec 06,2012 13:58
Right, well thanks for the reply I guess - your work sounds interesting at least - and I look forward to your continued destruction...

Targeryn Dec 06,2012 14:23
So what you're saying is the only reason you're attacking me is the whole "My village is bigger than yours so you must restart or I'm just going to harrass your villages because I hate smaller players that have jobs." complex...I get it, and that's why I don't give up so easily.

Herucles Dec 06,2012 15:49
sorry, I didnt mean it like that: I simply value your village as a very profitable farm, and Im not going to give up this farm as easily as simply accepting your mails :3.

Herucles Dec 06,2012 15:55
The whole 'continued destruction' bit was perhaps a little melodramatic - but I think you get the idea. I will continue to cat, ram you etc... and I may find it slightly enjoyable from a slightly perverse view point...

DeletedUser

Perhaps I should reword that. FA is convenient and efficient, just not the MOST efficient.
Early game, microfarming is the most efficient. I don't know if it's still early enough for that to be worth it, but I remember when on W61 when our account gave up on microfarming we lost a lot of hauls for a brief period.
Bookmark farming I have admittedly never used, so I don't know very much about it. I suppose it is fairly similar in efficiency and speed to FA, thinking about it. And it does take a massive amount of time to set up.
TWFR I don't remember very well, but I remember it was much better at using troops than FA was. Maybe they've improved FA since I last played, but FA always sent way more troops than necessary.
I do agree though that FA is the best option for mobile.

DeletedUser

You can micro farm with FA. And as long as you are majorly farming barbs, you can do it faster than methods like Zomg. Its not perfect so you need another way to farm player villages, but its a nice way to launch sitting LC rapidly. Used correctly, FA is just as good as Zomg (ignoring player farming, as obviously FA is not capable).

Michael Corleone.

That's right. What meant that there is no point rushing to academy before being able to sustain 24/7 LC and axe quest.
A reccommended build order:
1. HQ 5, smithy 5, barracks 5, stables 3, lc research + 80-120 sp + 20-30 sw+ (some axes from quest award) + 6-8 level resrouce buildings.
Since this moment I spent my entire income on LC till I can sustain 24/7 recruitment. I build only warehouse, farms and increase my resource building by 1 per each new farm level. Exampe: if my farm is 8 and my resources are 6 when my farm reaches 20 the resources will be 18. This inevitably leads to iron shortage but the problem is easily solved trading coal and wood for iron at 1:1 ratio
2. Don't rush to an academy! This is very important. Start building your HQ when you have fulfilled 1. Don't build smithy until your HQ is at least 20. Then start upgrading the smithy and research catas and rams.
3. If you can spend 30-60 min per day it's much more useful to log in 12 times for 2-5 min. When you go to sleep spend all resources and send your troops to a distant village so they can return approximately when you are online again or a eventually a bit earlier.

I am surprised nobody has pointed out you need a HQ level of 10 in order to have stables... Also your pit levels depend on your farming area. If you have less farms, they would need to be higher, if you have great income from farming, they can be lower. It also depends on the speed of the world itself. Also, you may need more axes depending on your area.

Just truly awful, I understand you are a newer player but stop.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I'm new, what is Falador?

Falador.png

carriestupidhead

It's an interesting conversation. Especially for newcomers. I like to help them to give insight too, i don't see it as a waste of time, ever. You unnecessarily break down an attempt of a relatively new player to help other new players. We all start at 26 points and on a slow world like this, newbies have loads of time to get to learn the micro aspect of the game quicker than on faster worlds. See them learn and grow and don't be surprised if one day they actually take some villas from you.

I just wanted to clear up that I in no way meant to come off as discouraging to/break down new players who are here to learn. I just meant that I believe all tactics to be fair in this game and (if used right) can be fun and very smart for your gameplay.

I was a new player once, like all of us, and if it wasn't for decent players help I would have probably given up as well... I believe that the restart mail, if written properly, can be good because it should offer assistance in learning the ropes to whoever it's sent to. That being said, I do not send them myself anymore... learned my lesson by making the very mistake Michael Corleone mentioned in his post.

Now the only restarts I send are humorous ones, and only to players I already know, as joke mails. :)

spleen mage

I really don't see where the fun is in restarting, whether it's logical or not. If you're willing to concede defeat at the first hint of a threatening letter, then you're probably not cut out for this game. If you're not particularly active, then chances are that you wont have much luck against a top player. That doesn't mean you can't have fun trying though!

The problem with restart mails is that good intentioned or not (let's face it - usually not!) they generally come across as fairly arrogant and quite often make people more likely to build troops/try and be an extra pain in your backside.

Last edited:

DeletedUser104941

Agree with above. By their nature restart mails are arrogant. With troop quest, pally and militia, even a completely new player can throw a serious spanner in anyone's start-up if they lure the farmer into thinking they have quit.