Public Service Announcement!! :)

• Thread starter DeletedUser117803
  • Start date

DeletedUser117803

As some of you know - those in the NME Skype, and also those who are fed the information that the Growth spy sends - I recently received a forum infraction for breaking forum rules. I am sure you are all scratching your heads in wonderment!! What would Kit ever do to break a rule, you may be asking.

In my defense, I had no idea that a rule such as this exists, but, to quote:

Grammar/spelling flames
It is not allowed to rebuke another user concerning his grammar/spelling. If the grammar/spelling of a user is that bad, that the content gets lost, you can use the "report post" feature to report the post, an admin or mod will then deal with it.

Well, in the interest of public service, I feel compelled to share the following information:

Zoosk told Mic in an email that more than 1,200 single millennials were surveyed (within a larger survey of more than 9,000 users), and a slight majority of them (51%) said that poor grammar was an unequivocal dating deal breaker. Meanwhile, 64% of millennials said that blatant spelling errors were the biggest grammatical crime a prospective partner can commit in digital conversation.
But does any of this actually lead users to make snap judgments about a person's character? Yup! 23% of respondents said they believe that poor grammar indicates that someone is "uneducated or unintelligent", while 32% said it suggests that users "didn't take the time to proofread, so they must be lazy or just not care."

http://mic.com/articles/137103/gram...sites-so-try-to-speak-english-good#.dJ7FpoVJ9

<3

DeletedUser91934

As some of you know - those in the NME Skype, and also those who are fed the information that the Growth spy sends - I recently received a forum infraction for breaking forum rules.
There is actually 3 categories people could fall into, not two... There are also those who are observant and noticed that the post had been deleted.

DeletedUser117803

I think I want to shoot for the first TW player to get a forum ban for that specific transgression. ;)

There is actually 3 categories people could fall into, not two.

Should be "There are actually 3 categories . . . "

Simply performing a public service, though.
It's my mission and my calling.
;)

Possibly, Brk. But why such over-zealousness? Anyone looked at the W86 forums? Not sure why correcting grammar in the interest of education is infracted when that forum is the wild frontier of insults, profanity, and general mayhem.

k

DeletedUser62294

I think I want to shoot for the first TW player to get a forum ban for that specific transgression. ;)

Should be "There are actually 3 categories . . . "

Simply performing a public service, though.
It's my mission and my calling.
;)

Possibly, Brk. But why such over-zealousness? Anyone looked at the W86 forums? Not sure why correcting grammar in the interest of education is infracted when that forum is the wild frontier of insults, profanity, and general mayhem.

k

The old days of TW was the wild west. Forum mods had a lot of work to do back in those days.

DeletedUser117803

Gotta say I sort of wish i were playing W86. Seems pretty insane there!!

And i would have loved to have been around to see those wild days. Sounds like real fun.

K

Irontusk

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
actually all ya got was a warning, and it was deleted cause the post had nothing to do with the topic itself on top of that rulebreak :icon_razz:

as ever, if you feel there's comments that ought to be moderated and haven't been yet, use the report system! 99% of the time I get that complaint nobody has ever followed it up with examples :icon_wink:

DeletedUser117803

as ever, if you feel there's comments

* if you feel there are/were comments

just spreading the love.

<3

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser62294

actually all ya got was a warning, and it was deleted cause the post had nothing to do with the topic itself on top of that rulebreak :icon_razz:

as ever, if you feel there's comments that ought to be moderated and haven't been yet, use the report system! 99% of the time I get that complaint nobody has ever followed it up with examples :icon_wink:

What if we warn you to warn us when you're warning the warn.

DeletedUser117803

Many thanks.

Typing while slightly under the influence of Scotch whiskey may result in user error.
:)

Irontusk

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
* if you feel there are/were comments

just spreading the love.

<3

listen here, you little toerag, I'm very good to you :icon_razz:

KuSYc73.jpg

makobex

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
I would like to report the w74 forum mod, Irontusk, for the inappropriate Tom picture with the rape face.
There are children here :icon_neutral:

DeletedUser117803

hmmmm . . .

anyone want to take bets as to whether i am the only english teacher playing TW?

Kit, you're such an English teacher *rolls eyes*
and you act like that is a bad thing???

<3

DeletedUser62294

hmmmm . . .

anyone want to take bets as to whether i am the only english teacher playing TW?

and you act like that is a bad thing???

<3

Never much cared for the grammar side of English. In my two years in the banking world I speak more in acronyms than full words and have to be so blunt grammar is almost worthless.

DeletedUser117803

au contraire, mon ami.

perhaps the only profession more universally despised than teacher is banker.

and i am sure your facility w/ acronyms will serve you well in your real-life relationships.
;)

grammar is always useful.
what are your first thoughts when you hear a person demonstrate ignorance of standard usage conventions? that's right. you assume the person is an uneducated and intellectually challenged individual. you know it is true.

not to say that all usage errors need to be "corrected." time and place and all that.
ain't nobody got time for that.

<3

DeletedUser62294

Thankfully most conversation is verbal or short hand text so grammar is either not needed or hard to mess up in the case of verbal.

DeletedUser116511

I find that grammar, if used in the right context, can be very, very intriguing.