Discussion: The Watchtower

DeletedUser

The watchtower is too skewed. It uses a lot of resources for a big reward, completely different from normal buildings. It doesn't help beginners either, since they won't get far enough to actually enjoy the benefits. That being said, as a defensive player, I like it :)

I think the only way for TW to be more fun is to get more players to join, and for worlds to be played faster. I have actually thought about this before, though it would completely change the game...which is to go with more popular play styles. One is like open worlds (like World of Warcraft), so not having complete death of a player, but perhaps a penalty, and a continuous reward system (rather than winning a world). Another is like the skirmish system (like League of Legends and Dota), where you have a small number of players play on opposite sides of short (<1 hour) games trying to destroy one another.

Like my post if you like these ideas.

You mean like speed?

DeletedUser105766

The watchtower is too skewed. It uses a lot of resources for a big reward, completely different from normal buildings. It doesn't help beginners either, since they won't get far enough to actually enjoy the benefits. That being said, as a defensive player, I like it :)

I think the only way for TW to be more fun is to get more players to join, and for worlds to be played faster. I have actually thought about this before, though it would completely change the game...which is to go with more popular play styles. One is like open worlds (like World of Warcraft), so not having complete death of a player, but perhaps a penalty, and a continuous reward system (rather than winning a world). Another is like the skirmish system (like League of Legends and Dota), where you have a small number of players play on opposite sides of short (<1 hour) games trying to destroy one another.

Like my post if you like these ideas.

Much of what you suggest already exists in the casual worlds. And there are already speed rounds available from time to time. The nature of Tribal Wars is domination. To change the game to resemble others or to attempt to keep players interested long enough to win short skirmishes and start over would ruin it for players who enjoy domination. The game is boring enough as it is. To achieve victory in an hour would kill the game for me. What new reward is there in the game once that has been achieved for the fifteenth time in a world?

Part of the attraction of TW is the building of a tribe and making friends. This takes time and patience. For good or bad, the game plays to our nature for raping (a player’s villages) and pillaging. We want all we can take from someone else and that makes us want more. We work hard to gain strength for the purpose of harming what others have done and forcibly hording their holdings for all time in the process of going after the next hapless player. This is the fun of Tribal Wars. Why else would such emotion color the game and such stress sweep us up during wars? If I was my parent, I would probably ban myself from this game for what it does to me. Or if we were on a playground doing what we do here, we'd be expelled :) Anyway, I digress.

If you wanted to make the game like others, then it would kill the game. The others are already so much better at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anaconda

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
I have played tribalwars for many, many years.

Over the years I have endured many horrible changes to the game I loved; Pay to win, weird tech & paladin systems, Churches, a massive upswing in microtransactions and a general decline in the TW teams care for the community or their complaints. :eek:

But the single worst change to be brought into tribalwars was the Watchtower. It has made late game defending a joke & the game unfun for anyone with any semblance of some skill. While I understand you are always stubborn about defending your new features no matter how bad they are - I think you really need to rethink Watchtowers because they not only take the skill & fun out of the game; but they completely change the way the game is played. Currently there is only ONE non watchtower world & it is currently unjoinable and nearing it's end. As far as I know all future worlds will include watchtowers :oops:

What I find hilarious - and is the absolute worst part about Watchtowers; is you created them to give newer players a defensive edge.... but if you don't use them effectively - they are a massive waste of resources & population and more often than not - you'll capture a new players village who has built a level 1-4 watchtower (which is almost completely useless when you have 1 village). So basically you've added a feature that distracts/misleads new players from starting properly while giving anyone with any understanding of the game mechanics a massive advantage in late game defending. Before you ask - no I don't think adjusting the quests to focus on WTs would help nor do I think this aspect of the game helps new players in the slightest.

Personally, I'm tired of you mucking about with the game we know & love. I thought that's why you made Tribalwars 2 (https://en.tribalwars2.com/#/) so you could go try out all these garbage ideas without ruining the game for us; but I guess that's flopped. In a perfect world I'd have you toss Watchtowers right out the game but I am also a realist. I do not think my opinion is the only one on Watchtowers; however I feel it is one shared by many in the community as reflected in this forum. At the bare minimum we deserve Watchtowers to not be a mainstay feature on every world. If you were to operate Watchtowers at the frequency of churches than I feel that the players who enjoy them could still do so; while the rest of us can enjoy the old game we love & you won't have this massive movement of players quitting because they hate a stupid feature you are forcibly imposing on the game.

I'm sorry if this post came across as aggressive but you've ignored our pleas for years & now you casually toss out a discussion post like it's NBD.....:mad:

So listen to what your community is saying & make the right choice. :rolleyes:

Fleezus Clyde, I could not agree with you more, and you were not aggressive enough.

I had to read every game guide in order to rebuild our forum that Inno broke when then migrated to our current forum software. In reading the older articles, one line of thought was most prevalent, "Do not dumb down the game." It does not help new players and few good players care for it.

InnoGames seems to be wanting our input and advice or they would not have us fill out surveys or ask for player feedback on the watchtower. Do your players a favour and listen to us ~~~ "Dump the Watchtower"

Michael Corleone.

Feature suggestions:
say it costs 100 wood but actually takes 400,000
build time is unknown
Drops population of light Calvary by 50%
Defeated if enemy researched Rope item.
jokes on you kiddo the wall just got 10 feet higher

DeletedUser

Thank you to everyone who took the time to share their feedback. <3
It has been passed along to InnoGames.

DeletedUser119596

Fleezus Clyde, I could not agree with you more, and you were not aggressive enough.

I had to read every game guide in order to rebuild our forum that Inno broke when then migrated to our current forum software. In reading the older articles, one line of thought was most prevalent, "Do not dumb down the game." It does not help new players and few good players care for it.

InnoGames seems to be wanting our input and advice or they would not have us fill out surveys or ask for player feedback on the watchtower. Do your players a favour and listen to us ~~~ "Dump the Watchtower"

I'm getting to like you more and more.

DeletedUser118185

I dont like watchtowers at all. They make defending far too easy.

DeletedUser119782

No, there is honest debate about this. Word is in ANTZ they created 4 massive watchtowers to cover their whole tribe's FL. I think that is stupid as there is no way their tribe could gain benefit from this. However some over their claim this to be the case. If this is true then their is some glitching going on. Since this is a new building I want some sort of clarification on this.

You need to be able to see the attack on the account where the watchtower is. Ofcourse this won't work (thankfully, i would say, too)

DeletedUser120905

Much of what you suggest already exists in the casual worlds. And there are already speed rounds available from time to time. The nature of Tribal Wars is domination. To change the game to resemble others or to attempt to keep players interested long enough to win short skirmishes and start over would ruin it for players who enjoy domination. The game is boring enough as it is. To achieve victory in an hour would kill the game for me. What new reward is there in the game once that has been achieved for the fifteenth time in a world?

Part of the attraction of TW is the building of a tribe and making friends. This takes time and patience. For good or bad, the game plays to our nature for raping (a player’s villages) and pillaging. We want all we can take from someone else and that makes us want more. We work hard to gain strength for the purpose of harming what others have done and forcibly hording their holdings for all time in the process of going after the next hapless player. This is the fun of Tribal Wars. Why else would such emotion color the game and such stress sweep us up during wars? If I was my parent, I would probably ban myself from this game for what it does to me. Or if we were on a playground doing what we do here, we'd be expelled :) Anyway, I digress.

If you wanted to make the game like others, then it would kill the game. The others are already so much better at it.

Actually, I like TW myself because of its unique play style and community. I just don't think that community is being fostered well at this point, and the suggestions I made were to help with that.

I know that to implement my suggestions effectively, it may require completely new games. Their goal was to increase the community involvement by giving more power to the user by giving weaker, and/new players to grow stronger and giving stronger players the ability to play against each other. Short games I think would especially help with this. Having more of an open world, I thought, would create a more competitive atmosphere. In that you wouldn't win or lose really by domination, but you would have rankings, or maybe win by conquest or something. You might reset the field every year maybe.

Of course these are just buds and need a lot more development, but I think it would be better to come up with a more community centric plan, than coming up with controversial buildings and ideas every few months.

DeletedUser114962

Funny how people hate the WT. I personally love it, allowed me to go mental on w90 the first world with WT. Probably even made my own strats, liked it when the opposition started using it but again I overcame that.

Its funny how there are some people on this forum saying WT was too easy to defend, yet still lost many villages to myself a noob who probs played his first world ;)

WT allows for alot of creativity and dynamics, INNOGAMEs watchtower is a perfect kit for to gaming, makes faking hard? Hahah then you all need to level up your gaming. It worked like a charm for me/ probs capped more than if I didnt have a wt :x