For the benefit of w20: Sniping

DeletedUser

Well, I know a lot of people are noobs on w20. So, here's a guide I made awhile ago to sniping. This may help the people who have hope of becoming less-nooby, but people beyond hope still probably won't benefit from this or even bother to read it. This assumes you know the method of sending a train in Opera and if you don't, then go browse the forums, you'll find it. It saddens me that most people on w20 aren't even capable of sending a proper train.

This is a guide to sniping. I'm posting this to maybe help some players rather than just my tribe.

Sniping is one of the most crucial skills a player could have in tribalwars. Sniping is what seperates alright players from good players. Without sniping, a player can never hope to be a great defender.

To snipe, Opera is basically essential. This guide uses Opera. If you use another browser, I suggest you switch to Opera, or you figure out how to snipe easily using the browser you have. Opera can be found here

Sniping is essentially timing support from another village to land in a village that has a train headed to it, so that the support lands after the first noble in the train and kills off the following nobles which should be accompanied by less troops than the first noble. Here's an example:

snipingp.jpg

1. Why snipe?

First, let's explain why sniping is the best method to defending. Sniping can allow a player to fight an entire tribe without losing a single village. You can last for months if you're dedicated enough against heavy onslaughts. By dodging all attacks that don't have nobles and sniping all trains, you survive. Stacking can't do that. All people need to do is noble the supporting villages or just clear out the defense. And defense won't last forever when stacking. Sniping allows you to lose very few troops, so you can keep sniping with that defense over and over again. If you have capable sitters and mark all attacks, surviving using minimal def is easy.

However, in a tribe, sniping should only be used to delay things while we stack you. (Of course this is only if you are being heavily attacked and it's expected that the enemy will continue to attack you for awhile) We know people aren't machines and can't mark attacks 24/7. But sniping is still essential even if you are stacked. If there happen to be villages that are unstacked or a village has enough nukes headed to it that it'll be cleared, you still need sniping.

2. Marking attacks

Marking attacks is absolutely crucial for sniping. If you can't tell nobles from rams sniping is impossible. Marking attacks is pretty easy, however. You just need to be active and have a capable sitter. Do not use the ingame attack renamer that comes with premium. It does not provide as much information as scripts. The attack renamer script can be found in the first post of the following thread:

http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=92120

If you don't know how to use scripts there's a guide for it in these forums. If you still need help, mail me. This sentence is now invalid

Anyway, everyone should know how to mark attacks. But I will still explain it. Go to overviews->incoming and click "Attacks" so it only shows incoming attacks. On that page go through and open as many attacks as you want in different tabs that are still labeled "Attack". The best way to mark them is use the noble train method. Cycle through the tabs with '2' in Opera and click the attack renamer script on each one. Then cycle through them again and select the proper unit that is incoming. The attack renamer script will eliminate units that it's impossible to be. This should make it quick and easy.

Anyway, do that for all unlabeled attacks. If you have so many incoming you don't feel like searching for one's named "Attack" still use the script in the first post in the following thread:

http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=101413

Make it sort by attack name(there'll be an option for it) and click sort. All unlabeled attacks named "Attack" should now be at or near the top.

For last resort use there is a mass attack renamer script. This script is to only be used if there are numerous attacks that you can't determine their speed because you were offline. I still suggest you go through the attacks you missed and analyze them and make an estimate as to what you think it is. (Trains should still be pretty easy to spot) And also, this only allows you to mark the attacks you missed as "Missed" so you can separate new attacks sent from the ones you missed. The script is on this page:

Code:
javascript:var%20text='Missed';var%20doc=document;if(window.frames.length>0)doc=window.main.document;var%20inputs=doc.getElementsByTagName('input');for(x=0;x<inputs.length;x++){if(inputs[x].id.indexOf('editInput')!=-1){if(inputs[x].value=='Attack'){ inputs[x].value=text;inputs[x+1].click();}}}end();

That's it for marking. Oh, one more important thing:

Once you go past 1000 incomings the 'All' page doesn't show all of the incomings! This was made before they put the notice up when you got past 1000 incomings on the incoming page You must go to an individual page to get the incomings past 1000. I like to set the incomings per page to 25 and every incoming past page 40 is past 1000 so won't show up on the 'All' page. Of course, new incomings may still be before page 40, so you can still use the 'All' page, but make sure you check past page 40 every little bit(if you have more than 1000 incomings), so you know you're not missing any incomings.

3. Sniping

Okay, now for the actual sniping. Sniping is easy. It gets easier the more seconds the incoming train has between first and last noble. Anyway, the best thing to do is to go to the village with the train incoming. Open the map in a new tab and in the same tab click the first noble attack in the train, so that it takes you to the page you can see the attacks milliseconds and all the other information. Now, go to the tab that has the map. Go around your villages and find a village that has a traveling distance with the def unit you'll be sending that's close to the time left for the train to land. (You should be able to see this by hovering over the village if you have premium, if you don't mail me I'll tell you how.... Although if you have premium you should know)

Once you find a suitable village go to its village overview and then go to the confirmation screen so that you have it as support headed to the village with the train incoming. Then you wait until the times get close(maybe in the mean time set up other snipings like this if you have other trains coming at other villages) and you send the support so that it lands as close as possible after the attack in the other screen. I do it like the noble train method; I keep track of the time of the incoming noble then hit '2' when the time comes and enter as fast as possible. You should probably always send it slightly before the times for the noble incoming and the duration of the supports travel become the same to account for lag. Lag is a pain in the ass. You'll have to practice until you get the hang of dealing with the lag. After a few practices, this should become an easy skill.

4. Support train

Now then, sometimes if you come across a pretty good player they can send trains that have small amounts of times between the first and last noble. There is a method to still beat this. I usually don't use this method until the time between the first and last noble is 500MS or less. However, you should use it whenever you feel like you'll be unable to snipe a train. With this method any train is snipable.

Essentially, you do the same thing as in step 3, except instead of sending all the defense from one village in the same support, you split it up. I usually split it up into 4 different tabs of support, however, you can split it up into 2 or 5 or however many you want. Then you send the support like you'd send a train, so that there is a better chance for you to snipe the noble train that's incoming. Don't spread the defense too thin, though, because you still need enough to kill of the nobles with 0 wall.

This way is even easier then step 3.

Well, that basically covers the type of sniping you'll need to do. If you have any questions please mail me. Any of you that are unclear on something stated here(I know I'm not the best at explaining things), say so and I'll try to make it clearer. Even if you already know how to snipe, but don't understand something said in this guide, post, because if you can't understand it people who have never sniped before probably can't either.

Please note the above paragraph is invalid as I am quitting and mailing me will probably result in no answer. But post here if you want and maybe someone else can answer your question(s)

Last edited by a moderator: