Humble N00B Open Letter to the TW Team

styv

Reaction score
Hi

I have played on this world for quite some time. I have invested more that I should, both in money and emotion. At times, I have been "addicted". At others, I just had fun. But not lately. I think I speak for many people when I say I think your business model is not working. When I came to TW, I am pretty sure there were > 500k players. Now there are 200k. That in itself should tell you something. Fewer players, fewer premiums, fewer $$$.

From my small W27 perspective, I see a few points of interest you may want to consider:

It seems that the TW team caters to the small minority of players that succeed the most. If you look at W27, Shadow has been catered to: case in point, the surveys that have come out lately. Shadow has 45 players on this world out of 889, and yet, they ask for surveys that only support them and there you go. You even made the decision before the survey time was finished. You need not wonder why worlds are closing, it is obvious. There is not enough competition and there is not enough support from the TW team for the average player, or n00b such as myself.

Instead of catering to the largest tribe, may I suggest you cater to the average player. There are a great deal more of them. More players, more premiums, more $$$!

Suggestions:

Instead of offering half-priced packets to the largest tribe, when the world is almost done, offer half-priced packets to the smaller tribes when certain criteria are met such as #1 tribe owns half the world or the top 5 tribes own half the world. At that point, offer 1/2 price to all other tribes - NOT to the top 5 or 10 or whatever.

When a tribe or top 5 tribes own half the world, begin limiting players per tribe by 10% for every 10% increase in that tribe. If a world allows 100 members, then when those tribes control half, members are cut to 90, when they hit 60%, 80, 70 % 70. This should help smaller tribes (which now there will be more) compete.

Make it where rim barbs grow faster and larger than core. As you know, the core tends to rot, leaving thousands of juicing 10k barbs, while the rim has 500 pointers. This is a major advantage for core tribes and a major disadvantage for rim folk. Another way that your game is skewed against the average player.

Just as with monopolies in real life, if a tribe gets too big, break it up. Immediately dismiss the inactives and then dismiss 1/2 the players randomly. Make sure they cannot rejoin their tribe for 3 months. By that time, they may be at war with their former tribe.

Many sports have handicaps. Golf, Bowling, etc. I do believe this is needed on TW. It is very much skewed to those tribes that get on world first and control the core. After that, it is a meaningless 2 year march to the rim. You need to make the rim safer and a place where it is at least possible to grow.

You can keep building more and more worlds at more and more cost, just to see fewer and fewer players and less revenue. Instead of having to do that, make all the worlds more competitive. Everyone knows that we want to stay on our current world if we could. We have built tribes, and friendships, and nemesis'. We love our worlds and are sickened by HAVING to move on. Make it where we don't and I bet your business will grow instead of shrink.

I am not an angry or whiny loser. I am an observer who wants this game to work for the average player. Let the dark flames of Shadow begin.

Thanks for listening to a Grand N00b!

DeletedUser

I cant beleive that after saying something like that you can still call yourself a noob. I know that i would be gettin my pa in the blink of an eye if that happened i really hope gauge reads and discusses this with the other tw moderators because from a players view it would most deffonitely work i now that nearly all sbm would do this so thats at least 60 more premiums and 60 times 6 equils 360 and thats sbm so the whole world as styv supplies is 889 so if so it is 5334 for this world not about 900 dollers so 4434 more in profit but this is of coarse a rough work we dont know how many really are going to buy but its only for a small world like 27 not all the worlds so think about i know that wd 27s tiny compared to the rest but it they all had the same number tw could make up to 272034 dollers because of styvs suggestion so think about it $272034 or the normal amount and treat the bigger tribes better so go on think about it

DeletedUser45593

Hey styv,
Shadow just new what the creator of the games have done in other worlds. Half price nobles was given as a option in other worlds when there was less than a 1000 players and the world was closed. Which we knew so we asked after those issues were met. Also, If you look at the poll in game there was over 100 votes for half price nobles. Which is more than double shadow size so we are not only ones for it.

Note about Half-Price Noble. It is not just better for Shadow. For those players that only have 1 or 2 villages can grow twice as quick, which allows all active players to have more of impact. The reason SHADOW is doing well is time. We have put in the time and others haven

steve

styv

Reaction score
response

sstarkey:

Hi friend. I was going to counter you, but I respect you too much and we are both right anyway. I do think Shadow deserves this victory - they get to finish their 2 year meaningless march - what I lament is that everyone, including you, must give up their world and all of the relationships that we have developed over the years.

Shadow can say how this will help everyone, but when TW soon closes this beautiful, wonderful world, it won't matter if I have two or four or four hundred villages. I won't ever be able to return to them. I won't ever be allowed to rebuild my wall after your latest Nuke. I won't ever be able to return to the comradery of SAM/GR*FM. I can never return to our own personal war (or, from my perspective, hell :icon_twisted:). It is gone, forever. :icon_sad:

I do re-extend my offer to you friend ....

steve

DeletedUser

This thread made me laugh:lol:
The reason that these tribes get to the top is because they earn it. While the weaker tribes might want to take that away from them, i have a better idea. New worlds...wait, they already have those:icon_surprised:

DeletedUser

thats because people think oh thats good for ME they dont think oh this is good for me but bad for the world (and im not only talking about the polls)

DeletedUser

Ah styv, you do have a charming way of looking at things.

I happen to agree that the number of players has dropped. I might optimistically suggest that they are playing other versions (the UK version that came out for example) or else playing 'The West' when that was so heavily advertised. I remembers seeing 700k+ players and I too wonder where it has gone.

Shadow has not been catered to. We suggested to the mods that there be the discussion about closing the world. Shadow was outspoken, it dominated that thread, just as it dominates activity. Don't you see that most of the world was simply upheld by little players who didn't really care, who hadn't invested a whole lot and who came and went? If people had spoken out against the closure in reasonable number, then we would have had discussion and it would not have come about. Did you convince anyone to come here and post against it? Did you work that hard to stop it? No you didn't, so don't have the audacity to complain.

Likewise with noble price, the standard procedure is that when the number of players drops below 1000, a vote is offered. We didn't even have to nudge the mods - Morthy posted here of his own accord. The vote went ahead and every member of this world had an equal chance to stop it. Again, not only did few people, but many voted with Shadow.

Your suggestions are charming, but I sense you are the naive and puerile onlooker in a world that isn't bound by fairness. The first point is also that W27 is not a normal world; it did not have normal settings and it is not in a normal situation at the moment. Using it as an example for arguments for other worlds is somewhat futile when you talk about changing an entire business model.

Besides, punishing the top tribes and rewarding inactive players doesn't strike me as particularly bright. There are some fair ideas in there, but it will always come back to giving rim players an advantage - an astute player would join later and capitalise. Punish the top tribe for being too big and it will split into a family tribe, or merely a de facto web of alliances with a shared external forum.

It is entirely possible to grow on the rim. If you had any notion of other worlds, you would realise that you would be in a competitive place where you sit on the world if it kept growing. The rim becomes a little more spread as it goes further out and it becomes a safer place to be with a lower village density and less experienced players. It does neatly divide players and provides a sandbox for inexperienced players. The reason the core grows is that the good players congregate there and the weaker players meander on the rim. The relative competition in each neighbourhood tends to even itself out over time.

It just so happens that experienced players want to stay and less experienced players either get attacked and quit or don't grow very fast and lose interest. Good tribes form towards the core and work there. Rimmed players end up on the rim - they have the chance to grow again if they want, but they don't. You get lots of little barb villages which you complain about although it is safe because they are so small, but if you wanted big villages, it would mean big players which would make the rim less safe :icon_sad: You can't have your cake and eat it - putting big barbs out there would attract core players, or allow a small number of rim players to grow big and just bully everyone else. The fact remains that any player with a desire to grow can succeed anywhere. Rim players are just lazy - they don't want or need premium; they don't give much of a monkey's about the game. One has to rely on the committed members, the ones that need the premium, and these are inevitably larger.

You are clearly disproportionately afraid of this world closing. Change in life is inevitable and the people we meet come and go. I put it to you that if you had made any true friendships on here, any really solid communities, that they would continue to grow elsewhere. I have made friends here, but how many do I expect to keep for a long time? Not many.

Really solid relationships will endure, whilst those that were merely held together by TW and not much else will fade away. We have the memories, but the people move on. I see that change as a healthy process; I shall always look back on my time here fondly, but without the game, I don't see any grand scheme for Shadow. Most of us will go our separate ways, even if we play together on the game down the line. There are people that I shall miss because of the good things they brought into my life. Yet, I am not bitter about losing them, but thankful that I was lucky enough to meet them in the first place.

No, I shan't be able to return here one day. I shan't be able to log on and play TW. It will be a sad day in some ways, and it will be something in my life that is missing...but somehow I wouldn't mind a lot of that time back; I wouldn't mind my Sundays, my mornings and my evenings.

The cracks that TW papered over in my life are now gone and somehow the good experiences I have, the pride at winning (hopefully) and the people I do keep in touch with, will more than make up for losing it. Indeed, I wouldn't like to see the world dragged out until only a handful of us remain - the community will obviously be emaciated slowly. I'd rather my tribe came to an end with victory than its slow demise from attrition. I didn't put in all the time I have done to see that happen.

I'd like to think that I was an architect in something wonderful. I'd like to think that many people will go away from W27 better for it. How would you like to see it end Styv? Would you like it to be you and me growing in harmony as the last two left alive until one of us becomes unable to play and the other wins by default? Someone has to win eventually; this has to end eventually. Take your community and move it somewhere else to give it new life, or watch it die slowly here.

Shadow seized W27 and didn't let go. That is the story here. You all were bound by the same rules, but the shrewd game of Shadow paid off and you cannot come back and try to drag out this face. Trying desperately to hang onto an investment with diminishing returns is not feasible. Urging you to visit another world with your friends where you too might grow and invest in premium seems intelligent enough to me.

DeletedUser

sstarkey:

Hi friend. I was going to counter you, but I respect you too much and we are both right anyway. I do think Shadow deserves this victory - they get to finish their 2 year meaningless march - what I lament is that everyone, including you, must give up their world and all of the relationships that we have developed over the years.

Shadow can say how this will help everyone, but when TW soon closes this beautiful, wonderful world, it won't matter if I have two or four or four hundred villages. I won't ever be able to return to them. I won't ever be allowed to rebuild my wall after your latest Nuke. I won't ever be able to return to the comradery of SAM/GR*FM. I can never return to our own personal war (or, from my perspective, hell :icon_twisted:). It is gone, forever. :icon_sad:

I do re-extend my offer to you friend ....

steve

steve, trust me, it'll be for the best if this world closes with Shadow's dominion. If you want to rebuild, do so on another world. I miss many of my friends from W13 and W20and W27, but they've moved on, as Zar stated. I have one really good friend I still keep, a few I wish I could keep. But that doesn't mean I will. I have accepted that fact and moved on as well. I don't speak to Saph any more, have lost touch with Macca. Kraadark and Baldwin are long gone. Where am I? Mourning the loss? No, I have moved on. So should you. Don't rebuild the Trojan walls. Re-create them.