Let's have a healthy debate

DeletedUser735

on why Jester's goodbye thread was locked.

If discussing the reasons behind his ban, when the entire thread was posted because of the ban, is off-topic then I misunderstood my english lessons way back.

The only 'off-topic' posts in that thread were flames by baby bew.

But hey ho, oh to have the power of the banning/locking stick.... how it must enrich peoples lives.

DeletedUser3840

A on topic post in that thread said something along the lines of

"Goodbye Jester"

anything else was off topic.

DeletedUser1089

Try putting this in the off-topic area. Maybe there we'll be permitted to talk about it.

DeletedUser833

Now now, I think we might want to clarify what "healthy" and "debate" and "Let's" before we go on with this discussion. It'll help us better "stay on topic" so this "topic" won't get "locked."

DeletedUser2833

Ah well as the goodbye thread was GESCHLOSSEN i will have to write a open Goodbye in here :icon_cool:

EDIT: yup its off topic, but now it isnt one line post

DeletedUser2018

my views on why:

public relations.
dual agendas.
secret motives.
power.
foreign object in #2 dispenser.
LACK OF soMethIng that coulD calm dOwn aLl the admins

there. i said it. but i didn't say it. so you can't delete this! mwahahahahaha

edited to make it clear that I was answering the idea posed by the OP to prevent "off topic" removal

DeletedUser

Will anyone be surprised if Robac attacks someone just before Christmas, and then the devs "lock" down attacks so no one can counter while Robac rebuilds?

DeletedUser

I say we all post in the off-topic forum so we can stop having locked "off-topic" threads.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser833

Will anyone be surprised if Robac attacks someone just before Christmas, and then the devs "lock" down attacks so no one can counter while Robac rebuilds?

Nah, I doubt that. All but 2 players in RoBAC are pretty trustworthy and noble people, so I think you can rest assure they won't.

Even if they did, with level 25 barracks and stable, you canc reate like, 350 axemen and 150 LC, so you don't really rebuild much...

DeletedUser74

I'm not one of those 2 am i? anyway bannes arent allowed to be discussed on the forums that thread was made for people to say goodbye and such not to complain about the ban

DeletedUser735

Yes but WHY aren't bans allowed to be discussed?? Another thing. How do we KNOW that ihatemybrain is not still playing his account? I mean we only have his word for it right? He supposedly gave the account to a new player, who just happened to be in the same tribe.

Conspiracies are everywhere!!

I am assuming that in the 'off-topic' section, nothing is actual verboten and liable to be geschlossen (or whatever).

DeletedUser

I believe that dropping from 40th place to close to 100 in the rankings is a good sign of it :)

I am also very sure that no mails have been answered and soon I will need to change my nick and give the ihatemybrain forum nickname to another person.

And even if I played there is nothing wrong with it. We all were players first and then became mods.

DeletedUser735

Fair enough. Although you can understand the confusion right? I mean same name (although what does that prove?), your profile still has the same picture as your one here on the forum, and your personal text looks uncannily unlike that of a noob. i.e. it bears all the arogance of an experienced player.

The only true way for everyone to know that you quit the game would be for you to delete your account, but you wouldn't do that because you would certainly want all your hard work and many villages to stay within ROBAC, right?

See any similarities with Jester????

DeletedUser

None. I have never broken a single rule, never been even in the gray zone of breaking one.

DeletedUser

Nope. It was decided it is not a gray zone although certain people weren't very about it :)

I consider a gray zone, one that has incomplete evidence. There was very good evidence of my actions.

DeletedUser735

Please try not to take offense at my posts, because none is intended. I know that you had nothing to do directly with Jester's ban (which I am not talking about btw), but I feel that the whole episode was handled badly by the admin responsible (just my opinioin), and this whole thing need never have happened. Jester (if indeed he had broken, or bent, a rule) could have been made aware of the infringement and asked to make amends. Instead, he was treated like a common cheat, which he is not, and banned without warning.

You are unfortunatley the only admin type person that has shown their face in these discussions since, and therefore bore the brunt of people's frustration.

Also in my opinion you have been a bit over zealous with moderating the related threads, but what do I know, I don't have to make decisions on here.

DeletedUser

I am the forum admin so it is normal for me to show up in here :)

All bans are handled in the same manner and it doesn't matter (and shouldn't) who is getting banned. Those decisions cannot and should not be affected by the feelings of players/team members towards the person who receives the ban.

I have made some commens to explain the situation here as people had gotten a very wrong idea about the whole thing. I am not over-zealous. I might delete more posts than normal because there are more offtopic posts than normal. I have nothing to do with this however. I just make sure people follow the rules in the P&P forums.

DeletedUser

(Apologies for a long post; it's not directed specifically at those who posted in this thread, but rather at all those who have voiced messages of outrage and injustice over the last week.)

I have no issues with my goodbye thread being locked. I said goodbye and alluded to the reasons I chose to leave TW. Many people wished me well and expressed postive feelings about their time playing alongside me, I was appreciative and flattered; I responded to all of these - some in general and some specifically, and the thread was closed shortly afterward. In addition to the posts about my departure, BabyBew popped in to show everyone that he had accidentally sealed his anal orifice closed with polystyrene cement, and was spurting diorrhea from his mouth (and typing it for us all to see) and several other players wanted to highlight a weakness many of us see in the system. These things were off topic, which is why the thread was locked, and also because some of the posts risk breaking the rules regarding discussions of a ban in the forums.

There is a very good reason for not posting details of a ban in public; it can be quite assailing to someone's character and the propoganda of a forum could easily be mistaken for a formal announcement of undisputed truth. In my case, I was quite happy for people to know the details of my ban, and they are posted by me in the thread. However I would NOT have been happy to have seen any member of the admin team posting in the forum, or in a game announcement. No one can accuse me/a banned player publically of cheating under the current rule; if bans were allowed to be discussed in public then such defamation could occur.

It is very difficult for the forums to be effective if single topics keep going off on a tangent. There are several topics which got confused into the threads that sprang up last week.
The first is simply me saying goodbye and people saying goodbye to me. The second is did I deserve to be temporarily banned. The third is whether the current ban-first, appeal-next system is the best way to deal with rule infractions. The fourth is whether it is acceptable for players who have, or who once had, greater privileges and access to information the rest of us have (admins) to play the game against us. The fifth is whether a specific member of the admin staff committed such and abuse in my case. The sixth is whether he committed an abuse after I had announced my departure. And seventh and and eight are very tangent threads regarding Ihatemybrains historic temporary banning, and his recent retirement from World 1.

If all 8 threads stuck to their topics, then at least 5 of them would stay open for open and frank discussion I am sure, but I have to agree with Ihatemybrain for closing the ones I saw locked.

Now, if anyone wishes to continue to send messages to me, I will continue to lurk around these forums, and the HOT forums, and keep up with game events via TWplus. I am as interested and excited as everyone else that a (minutely small, I admit) step of hostility has occurred between the giants of RoBAC and TW.

The second topic is also a closed issue. Playing an account that you are sitting in an unviable and/or suicidal manner, where it is apparent that it's existence is purely for the benefit of another account is against the rules. I broke this rule; I was given an account by someone who was leaving the game, and that day I cleared the troops from it by launching them at a player who was attacking another account I was sitting at the time. I have accepted the punishment for the infraction, just as Hoodoo and her team have accepted it was not an intentional breach of the rules, and that it is quite commonplace. This is why the ban was lifted a day later and I was invited to return, however I declined to. There is no longer a ban on my account.

The third and fourth topics deal with how Hoodoo and her team choose to run the game. Whilst I personally disagree, this isn't my business and I respect her choices. There is no right and wrong answer; but if you wish the team to consider alternative policies, I suggest phrasing them in a non-accusatory manner, regardless of your own personal experiences. I think these issues do need to be debated on the forums, but I feel that it should be done in a way that doesn't cause the admins to need to defend the status quo, but rather how it could be changed for the better. However, I am sure that these policies will be discussed and reviewed in light of players such as myself who feel forced to leave because of their failures.

The fifth and sixth topics have a proper procedure to be raised; contacting Hoodoo via the support system or privately. I have done this. I have indicated to her why I feel that the admin concerned abused his position and acted in bad faith. She has investigated and countered, citing reasons and methods that he may have obtained the information used against me with the resources available to the "common" player, and has made a decision that she does not believe their was any intentional foul play on the part of the admin concerned. I do not feel that my complaints were avoided or ignored. However, that player has continued his hostilities against the affected HOT accounts, and because my first inclination remains that he is not playing fair, my motivation has ceased to be 'defeat him within the confines of the game' to 'prove he is cheating.' That isn't the way I want to play a game, and that's why I chose to leave. It was a realisation by myself of what I was getting out of the game, rather than a protest over his actions. I do not feel he was protected by the team; but rather that my accusations were based on a lot of circumstantial evidence that when each was taken in isolation could be explained.

The seventh and eight topics are also pretty dead topics. Ihatemybrain has even linked his posts from the past detailing his infraction.

If you feel that one of these threads is not closed and needs further debate, then try to open it as a debate, and not as an attack on either the forum moderators who are trying to keep the forum organised and user friendly, or the admin teams who need to juggle a large amount of demands.

DeletedUser

Just to continue on what Jester said:

I will never lock a topic which is posted in the right forum, follows the rules and doesn't go offtopic. For example if you decide to have a peaceful discussion on one of the issues raised and how they could be fixed in general and not in the light of specific events I would be more than happy to read such things and help with their development.

And a quick reminder: new rules are currently on their way which will fix most (if not all) of the flaws that some players find in the current ones. This is especially related to the blurry meaning some people associate with the current rules. While I se nothing wrong in those I see that many players interpret them in the wrong way. To them I an only suggest to use the ticket system to ask specific questions if they feel unsure about something.

After all we are here to help you unles you stop us from doing so.