Martin Longbow Soapbox

DeletedUser

Rather than having numerous threads cluttered by "off" topic sermons I thought it might be an idea to group them here as not all of us are away with the fairies and might appreciate NOT having to read "off" topic spam!

DeletedUser

I actually might enjoy a daily lesson in world politics as viewed by Martin who is our most affluent speaker.

DeletedUser

A preaching thread! :icon_biggrin: Cool :icon_cool:

I´d like to preach as well, but tbh, the whole issue of morale and do the right thing etc confuses me. My definition of morale is pretty simple in most cases, like "cats are satan when the enemy use them, but when we use them, they´re great". I regard this a scientifically proven fact.

(I´ll also use this chance of nominating myself for Biggest Bigot 2009)

DeletedUser

Ok I like fairies, and I usually enjoy Martins posts so he has my (can't think of a good word as permission is the wrong word) (support? ack no clue, lol) he has my (insert your own word here) to go ahead and chat all he wants.

DeletedUser43619

can this thread be locked and renamed D.Hudson's crapbox :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

I took the liberty to move my latest post over here. I do try to be a good sport. This thread is not so far from the realities of my life. I do try to persuade people to my causes in any number of areas, including: Scripture, Sports, Politics, Ethics. In the end I am a nobody but I am a passionate nobody.

Also for any interested. I have played to small or large degrees on about 15 worlds. I am only a decent player in my opinion. Leadership was truly thrust upon me. I have spoken in a total of 4 world forums 1 was only 1 single post. All others are likely under 15. This world 18 is a great world. Only here do I enjoy posting much. I like many people here. Truly sorry if I speak too long or much for your taste. I dont like backing down in the intellectual arenas though.

Those who do what? Also, BA isn't fighting Apoc..
Unless you are talking about a hypothetical situation, then you aren't facing reality yourself, so telling others to face reality isn't very logical.
your point is?

The reality I speak of is that Apoc has positioned itself in such a way that they are the only logical alliance or enemy anyone can have. They vanquished Legion and have replaced them as the lightning rod of this world. I face that reality and I'm saying you arent if you deny it. Anything less than everyonelse uniting vs them is denial.

Martin, you normally make intelligent, (if somewhat long for most people's taste) posts. This is somewhat off the mark. I've reread it several times, and still don't get what exactly you were trying to say..
If you are trying to continue the long beaten into the ground argument for BA to decide to fight either BA or MIM, then your doing it wrong ;)

Bro this is a variation of whats been on my profile in game for a year. Its an application of that stance to current developments. If you think I am normally intelligent then nothing has changed, BA is just an expansion of my radius in targeting. Were you to talk to MM leadership in the past my stance has not changed. I attempt speak for some in the opposition to Apoc. If you think I'm a fool now I cannot fathom why you wouldnt have thought so before. I still respect Apoc on certain levels, I still value my friendships, I still strive for honor, I still question anyone who doesnt take a hand in this fight.

If you are trying to say you've given up on that, then why speak?

My question to you? Is Apoc vs the world reality? or am I living in a dream world. There is even a thread called Apoc vs World. Oh yeah one tribe is staying out of Apoc vs World.

At such a time as this I hope that Andrew and a few people who actually understand me normally do. I was answering specifically Andrews previous post. If ever he wanted to make me look the fool he would say he dont get me :p. Truly I think I make sense.

A question for Andrew? Do you really think the true right advice for me or people who think as I do is: to seek some new diplomatic answer to avoiding war with Apoc or BA or anyone in this game? Who the heck is there left to fight but Apoc. You guys had a huge hand in friggin crafting this world. What you expect? submission?

DeletedUser

A question for Andrew? Do you really think the true right advice for me or people who think as I do is: to seek some new diplomatic answer to avoiding war with Apoc or BA or anyone in this game? Who the heck is there left to fight but Apoc. You guys had a huge hand in friggin crafting this world. What you expect? submission?

Obviously I´m not Andrew, but I´ll have a shot at an answer to the question anyway ;)

I think the answer to the question is that we expect that BA has heard the call now. Not just once, but many times. And it doesn´t seem that they want to answer to it just yet. BA will join when BA will join, and when they do, we will all get answers to our questions and know which side they decide to join.

About the analyzis
The reality I speak of is that Apoc has positioned itself in such a way that they are the only logical alliance or enemy anyone can have.
I can only agree.

And, since this thread is a little off-topic by itselves, a question to you Martin:

Do you think idealism can ever be a bad thing? (Unrelated to TW or w18, just a general question.)

DeletedUser

I consider myself an idealist. I like to think I search for what is right and what will truly work, or has the best opportunity to work with the variables presented.

Personally, offhand (I reserve the right to change my mind on this) I think Idealism can bad when you are wrong and it dominates your thoughts or worse your actions in an area. I dont believe that necessarily has to be true. Probably what is necessary to not be dominated by it is to be openminded, defend your views(iron sharpeneth iron) dont lie to others or to yourself about them. Listen to reason. I consider this to be true except in the case of the one source of absolute truth(The Bible). I dont recommend anyone to be willing to relent on that.

I think the affects of Idealism gone wrong can be small or large depending on how much influence you have and in what areas you are wrong.

I could go on for a while but I can stop here so I will.

DeletedUser44927

Martin, BAs stance can only really be judged on what victory conditions they have set themselves.

We all know that the Apoc leadership are looking to get a percentage of the map blue, and they would consider that a victory and then a large number of Apoc players will leave.
If BA have the same victory conditions and are looking for an "out" then they are doing the right thing.
If they dont have the same goals then they may not be.

Speaking for myself, if a large number of top Apoc players leave, then the game may well lose my interest. What would the world be like, without say the top 10 Apoc players? Not nearly as much fun I imagine.

So if the BA leadership are looking to leave at the same time as Apoc leadership, then they are doing fine.
If they want to carry on after the Apoc leadership leaves...I find that a little sad if thats the case
If they are enjoying themselves and want to be the top tribe, then there stance with Apoc is wrong.

DeletedUser

I consider myself an idealist. I like to think I search for what is right and what will truly work, or has the best opportunity to work with the variables presented.
I believe this more accurately called a "pragmatist." Not necessarily an idealist.

Personally, offhand (I reserve the right to change my mind on this) I think Idealism can bad when you are wrong and it dominates your thoughts or worse your actions in an area. I dont believe that necessarily has to be true. Probably what is necessary to not be dominated by it is to be openminded, defend your views(iron sharpeneth iron) dont lie to others or to yourself about them. Listen to reason. I consider this to be true except in the case of the one source of absolute truth(The Bible). I dont recommend anyone to be willing to relent on that.

I think the affects of Idealism gone wrong can be small or large depending on how much influence you have and in what areas you are wrong.

See: Don Quixote

The problem most idealists encounter is twofold:
The often sacrifice the good for the perfect.....
And in so doing, they are perpetually unsatisfied with outcomes.

DeletedUser

I believe this more accurately called a "pragmatist." Not necessarily an idealist.

Actually I meant: I consider myself an Idealist. Certainly moreso than most who work these forums.

I do try to live in the world though, not denying reality, just wishing people would try harder to improve reality. I refer to life that way. The sentences you are referring to, though, are meant to be seperate. First the statement, then how I hope to keep myself grounded.

See: Don Quixote

The problem most idealists encounter is twofold:
The often sacrifice the good for the perfect.....
And in so doing, they are perpetually unsatisfied with outcomes.

I actually think about this type problem often. Certainly I dont look for perfection from people involved in things, though, I do strive for perfection in gameplan and intent. I think thats achievable only that it doesnt ensure some sort of utopia.

DeletedUser

Certainly I dont look for perfection from people involved in things, though, I do strive for perfection in gameplan and intent. I think thats achievable only that it doesnt ensure some sort of utopia.

Indeed. Utopia is never an option.
:icon_smile:

DeletedUser

Peter thats only your perspective because you aren't part of Apoc-D :p
I jest i jest.