Sad or desperate? Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Maan... he really doesn't like not being able to voice on the forum.

DeletedUser

But to WHOM is he crying? TO WHOM?!?!?!?

:p

Everyone has the right to amuse him like he wishes to do. thats just my two cents.
it's a game, you can't tell anyone how he/she should amuse him/herselve.

I confirm this guy has a strange way , but it's so obvious that it's humorous.
I hope everyone's smart enough to see the humour of it (doesnt mean you have to like this strange kind of humour)

DeletedUser

Actually, it's not really humorous. It's a pretty lame attempt at humor. Hence, my "sad" option. It's obvious that SN believes this is funny on some level -- but it's not. And I don't mean that in any kind of a "It's-not-funny-because-I-can't-take-a-joke" sorta' way.
I mean it's not funny on any sort of comedic level... except for a child maybe. I'll give you that. If you're talking comedy like fart noises and mom jokes... then this would fall into that category. It demonstrates an immature development of humor.

But, more importantly, it demonstrates an unhealthy need to be the center of attention and to have people talking about him. This, of course, is related to my earlier assessment of SN -- that he has a bit of a persecution complex. These are narcissistic tendencies... whether you believe everyone is out to get you -- OR -- whether you want everyone to stop what they're doing and "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M BEING FUNNY! LOOK AT ME!"

Again, this is why I offered "sad" as one option.

:)

DeletedUser

Actually, it's not really humorous. It's a pretty lame attempt at humor. Hence, my "sad" option. It's obvious that SN believes this is funny on some level -- but it's not. And I don't mean that in any kind of a "It's-not-funny-because-I-can't-take-a-joke" sorta' way.
I mean it's not funny on any sort of comedic level... except for a child maybe. I'll give you that. If you're talking comedy like fart noises and mom jokes... then this would fall into that category. It demonstrates an immature development of humor.

But, more importantly, it demonstrates an unhealthy need to be the center of attention and to have people talking about him. This, of course, is related to my earlier assessment of SN -- that he has a bit of a persecution complex. These are narcissistic tendencies... whether you believe everyone is out to get you -- OR -- whether you want everyone to stop what they're doing and "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M BEING FUNNY! LOOK AT ME!"

Again, this is why I offered "sad" as one option.

While I have enjoyed some of your debating on the forums in the past. I think you are far off the mark and frankly acting the fool yourself.

Exactly what moral high ground or societal rung do you stand upon where you dictate what is or is not funny, what is or is not acceptable behavior, what is healthy or unhealthy? etc.

Something you didn't even consider is that perhaps he takes enjoyment from getting a reaction or rise out of people. Congratulations, you played right into his hands.

DeletedUser

The nature of humor is an odd beast.

Sarcasm, physical humor, sight gags - all up to their own personal view on what is humorous.

What swordnuke is doing, well hes is making humor for himself.
Its a little low-brow for my tastes, sending out fake 'fake scripts', asking for invites, sending out fake CCs, etc.

When you are on the losing side for so long, you need to make yourself happy (as making people happy should be apart of any game).

DeletedUser

It doesn't take a lot of time, but it does take time. Baffling!

We have been playing TW for over 2 years now and you are baffled by SN 'wasting' his time? lol These pranks take way less time then all of us have been wasting on this game daily. At least he is viewing this as a game and having fun with it.

@Peter: Who are you to determine what is funny and what is not funny? You might not find 'mom jokes', etc funny as they are not mature enough for you but there are many people out there that do. The thing is everybody has a different kind of sense of humour. There is no right or wrong.

You haven't even met him and yet you have determined beyond reasonable doubt that he has a persecution complex? lol Again, there are people in the world that love attention, some that like the quiet and lots at varying degrees in between - all different personalities. Who out there determines which personality is the 'right' one and which is the 'wrong' one?

What I see here is SN, a younger guy, (who by logic would be less immature then you given age) has pulled a prank on you and you are being an uptight, grumpy old man about it. You are being so high strung about something so little. I think you really, really need to unwind some.

Btw, when was the last time you actually made a joke?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

While I have enjoyed some of your debating on the forums in the past. I think you are far off the mark and frankly acting the fool yourself.

Wow. Defender of SN? Interesting.

Just as you defended SN's attempt at humor (I believe you posted very early in this thread stating as much)... why not allow me my own attempt, eh? Perhaps you don't see the humor in what I'm doing?
Why not?
It's of a different nature than SNs, obviously. But shouldn't I be given the same latitude afforded to SN to make such attempts?
You say I am acting the fool... yet you found foolish behavior exhibited by SN acceptable. Perhaps you should hold me to same comedic standard as SN?

Exactly what moral high ground or societal rung do you stand upon where you dictate what is or is not funny, what is or is not acceptable behavior, what is healthy or unhealthy? etc.

"Moral high ground?" There's really nothing in my post about morality, actually. Nor is there anything that argues about whether his behavior is "acceptable." My adjectives were "sad" and "desperate." Acceptability wasn't really at issue.
And to finish off the dissection, there's really nothing about "societal rungs" in my posts, either... nor is there anything about "dictating what is or is not funny".

While my assessments have, indeed, mentioned comedic value - I believe it's fairly obvious that these are my opinions. Do you disagree that his attempts at "humor" (as you alleged) are the equivalent of "fart noises" and "mom jokes?" That was my assessment. What's yours? Do you think his "humor" ranks higher in value? Really?
I don't.

Now... if you are asking what has influenced my perceptions of humor, then I'll tell you. My work in various theater productions over my life, as well as my current job (which I'd prefer to keep private). Let's just say it's performance-related, though.
I'm sure this won't satisfy objections, but I won't say any more about it.

Something you didn't even consider is that perhaps he takes enjoyment from getting a reaction or rise out of people. Congratulations, you played right into his hands.

Why do you assume I didn't consider that, Zurtle? Of course I know that's what he does. I'm not new to this forum. :)

So, yes... you are right... I am giving SN the attention he so desperately craves. But I am doing so on matters of my own choosing. You are correct that he enjoys getting a reaction. But I'd submit he enjoys CERTAIN reactions. Not all reactions produce the same satisfaction for him.

DeletedUser

Oh yes! And here is Bella to jump on the bandwagon!
LOL
Very nice!

For one who bleats about "not knowing someone in real life" -- you seem very willing to make certain assumptions about me. Ms. Pot... meet Mr. Kettle?

All my friends say I am funny. But that doesn't matter.
I have very funny exchanges with my tribemates. But that doesn't matter, either.

Let's look at your silliness...

@Peter: Who are you to determine what is funny and what is not funny? You might not find 'mom jokes', etc funny as they are not mature enough for you but there are many people out there that do. The thing is everybody has a different kind of sense of humour. There is no right or wrong.
Who said "right" or "wrong?" Again... I said "sad" and "desperate." Let's not go changing the poll options I gave! It's going to mess up all the crosstabs, and then the media will distort the results of the polling!!

You haven't even met him and yet you have determined beyond reasonable doubt that he has a persecution complex? lol Again, there are people in the world that love attention, some that like the quiet and lots at varying degrees in between - all different personalities. Who out there determines which personality is the 'right' one and which is the 'wrong' one?
Oh dear.
Again with this "right" and "wrong" business? You seem to have quite a hang-up in reducing complex thoughts into non-analagous choices. I didn't say his personality was "wrong." Please read.
Also, what's this business about "reasonable doubt?" Is this court? Goodness! If you're so sure he doesn't exhibit the characteristics I've mentioned, why not offer a rebuttal more substantive than "Oh yeah?! Well.. well.. you don't know him in RL!!"
Ugh.

What I see here is SN, a younger guy, (who by logic would be less immature then you given age) has pulled a prank on you and you are being an uptight, grumpy old man about it. You are being so high strung about something so little. I think you really, really need to unwind some.

Actually, the "prank" was not on me. It was on the BA tribemates. It wasn't very good, so I let him know as much. I considered it to be either desperate or sad. I couldn't decide which, though... so I asked for input. I've concluded it's mostly sad.
Now, you can call me names, if you wish.. if you feel you need to ride to the defense of poor little SN. That's fine. I know that's how you roll. It's cool.

Btw, when was the last time you actually made a joke?

Have you read this thread?

DeletedUser

'Sad' and 'desperate' are still you being judgemental. Who's to say you making a whole thread relating to his prank isn't a desperate attempt for attention on your part?

He did his little prank, so what? I didn't offer a rebuttal because I really don't care. It's not likely that I will ever bump into 99.9% of you. I want to play a game to avoid drama, not to create more of it.

Every time you reply to SN, it sounds like you have pulled out the thesaurus and find every big word you can fit into one sentence so that you can speak down to him. It's like you are forever trying to prove how much smarter and more mature you are, but trying too hard equates to over-compensating. Keep in mind he still has like 30 years to catch up to your current maturity.

This is not about defending him, it is about trying to put myself in others' shoes and you becoming more and more annoying with this. You forget what it is like to be young - I guess Peter Paine is apt (as opposed to Peter Pan).

Btw, you have no idea whatsoever about how I roll (what did you say about the pot and kettle?). I would have to consider you a friend for me to tell you anything personal about myself. We both know that is not the case.

PS If this was your idea of a light hearted joke, I apologise. I really, really doubt it was though.

DeletedUser

hmmm... I've never seen Peter upset like this before... I'm guessing some nub used the fake script?... I'm sorry... but Peter if thats what happened that is hilarious...lol

DeletedUser

But shouldn't I be given the same latitude afforded to SN to make such attempts?
You say I am acting the fool... yet you found foolish behavior exhibited by SN acceptable. Perhaps you should hold me to same comedic standard as SN?

The answer is no, when you assume the higher position, you are then open to criticism from that position. In your post, whether you pretend it or otherwise, you made the assumption that your opinion was superior to his and others. Pot meet kettle doesn't apply when calling out kettle for being kettle.

"Moral high ground?" There's really nothing in my post about morality, actually. Nor is there anything that argues about whether his behavior is "acceptable." My adjectives were "sad" and "desperate." Acceptability wasn't really at issue.
And to finish off the dissection, there's really nothing about "societal rungs" in my posts, either... nor is there anything about "dictating what is or is not funny".

While my assessments have, indeed, mentioned comedic value - I believe it's fairly obvious that these are my opinions. Do you disagree that his attempts at "humor" (as you alleged) are the equivalent of "fart noises" and "mom jokes?" That was my assessment. What's yours? Do you think his "humor" ranks higher in value? Really?
I don't.

Lol? In your very post you state "there is nothing about societal rungs" yet in the very next paragraph you state that his jokes have a lesser value Not to mention you clearly state previously

I mean it's not funny on any sort of comedic level... except for a child maybe.

This suggests that anyone finding his joke funny has the intellect or maturity level of a child. This position assumes you are THE authority on maturity level of jokes, which you are not. Hence the question, where is it that you stand that you are THE authority on humor?

On top of which your post clearly does argue that his actions are unhealthy eg unacceptable when you are actually not in any position to judge this, hence the high ground you are assuming to even suggest it.

it demonstrates an unhealthy need

I'm guessing you must play a doctor or a pastor in several TV shows or films.

DeletedUser

He's been banned :) [Merely an observation!]

I suspect this thread should be re-named "The Philosophy of Humour". I also suspect that I am not sufficiently qualified to comment!

May a suggest that Peter and Zurtle get a room? ;-)

DeletedUser

hmmm... I've never seen Peter upset like this before... I'm guessing some nub used the fake script?... I'm sorry... but Peter if thats what happened that is hilarious...lol

No worries, LB.
I've received no fakes or attacks from this.

Proof that nobody fell for the "prank"? If so... doesn't this make the point that the prank was not very good?

If it was a "joke" ... the fact nobody sent fakes or quit means it wasn't a very good joke, either.

DeletedUser

'Sad' and 'desperate' are still you being judgemental. Who's to say you making a whole thread relating to his prank isn't a desperate attempt for attention on your part?

So now the criticism is that I'm being judgemental? Odd. Your original argument was that I lacked a sense of humor. Classic Bella discourse...
1. Start with Complaint A
2. Once refuted, switch to Complaint B
3. Feign ignorance that A and B are not the same issue (I'm waiting for this step)

Every time you reply to SN, it sounds like you have pulled out the thesaurus and find every big word you can fit into one sentence so that you can speak down to him. It's like you are forever trying to prove how much smarter and more mature you are, but trying too hard equates to over-compensating. Keep in mind he still has like 30 years to catch up to your current maturity.

So... now your criticism is that I use words that are too big? Seriously? Are you sure you're not American?

(BTW, he doesn't about 30 years to catch me. I'm not 50! LOL)

This is not about defending him, it is about trying to put myself in others' shoes and you becoming more and more annoying with this.
Then don't read the post, Bella. You injected yourself here. Now you cry about being annoyed? If you don't read it... then you won't be annoyed. Problem solved.

You forget what it is like to be young - I guess Peter Paine is apt (as opposed to Peter Pan).
Again... you have no idea what I may or not may not recall. Perhaps 2 years of immature silliness from SN is about enough he should be allowed to exhibit? What's the saying.... "It takes a village to raise a child." Perhaps the TW community should be helping to raise this young child, rather than allowing him to continue his immature ways. We'd be doing him a service, you know.

PS If this was your idea of a light hearted joke, I apologise. I really, really doubt it was though.
Again... Bella, you change the topic. See my earlier outline.

Let's recap:
You originally said: "Btw, when was the last time you actually made a joke?"

I replied: "Have you read this thread"

But now you've tweaked the parameter. Now you're defining the kind of joke as "light-hearted". If you are SERIOUSLY asking when the last time I made a "light-hearted joke"... well, I made one about an hour ago while chatting with my cable company customer service rep.

DeletedUser

The answer is no, when you assume the higher position, you are then open to criticism from that position. In your post, whether you pretend it or otherwise, you made the assumption that your opinion was superior to his and others. Pot meet kettle doesn't apply when calling out kettle for being kettle.

Of course I believe my opinion is superior, dude. Don't you? Or do you hold many opinions that you consider to be crappier than others? Do you willfully assume positions when you know they are inferior or unable to be defended? That's really weird, and I've never seen you argue that your opinions are weaker. Indeed, your history has always been to assume your opinions are right. Most people do, Zurtle.

But to address the point -- you say I am being held to a higher comedic standard than SN merely because I criticized SN's standard. Yet, YOU were the one who said it was an attempt at humor. This is proof that you understood SN's foolish attempt to be one at humor. Yet, you don't recognize the same for me. It appears you are applying a double standard because you no longer like me... not based on anything comedy-related.
Indeed, you refused to answer my question:

Do you disagree that his attempts at "humor" (as you alleged) are the equivalent of "fart noises" and "mom jokes?" That was my assessment. What's yours? Do you think his "humor" ranks higher in value? Really?

My assessment of SN's comedic attempt has nothing to "societal rungs." This is just a silly argument. They are childish humor. This is not a class-based assessment. It's age-related. It's maturity-related. It's got nothing to do with social standing. Perhaps the words you chose are the hang-up here.

This suggests that anyone finding his joke funny has the intellect or maturity level of a child. This position assumes you are THE authority on maturity level of jokes, which you are not. Hence the question, where is it that you stand that you are THE authority on humor?
This is illogical, dude.
People can find a joke funny - without having the intellect or maturity level of a child. You make no sense here. Just because a joke is juvenile doesn't mean only juveniles can see the humor in it. But, likewise, that doesn't make the joke funny, nor does it refute the notion that the joke is juvenile.
My opinion of a joke's value doesn't mean I'm "THE authority." LOL
That's quite a stretch, Zurtle!

How come you won't answer my question?
Do you disagree that his attempts at "humor" (as you alleged) are the equivalent of "fart noises" and "mom jokes?" That was my assessment. What's yours? Do you think his "humor" ranks higher in value? Really?

On top of which your post clearly does argue that his actions are unhealthy eg unacceptable when you are actually not in any position to judge this, hence the high ground you are assuming to even suggest it.
Unacceptable doesn't mean unhealthy. If he engages in unhealthy behavior (like smoking, for example).. that doesn't make it unacceptable.

I'm guessing you must play a doctor or a pastor in several TV shows or films.
I only play doctor with my wife.

I've never heard of "playing pastor." This might be useful....
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.