PANDAS smell bad

DeletedUser

Well you said missionaries go out in the world to help strangers but they are doing it for their own reasons most of the time, not out of the good in their hearts..

I disagree with that Parno. Yes, they may get personal satisfaction of helping the odd person here and there succeed but probably experience more pain watching most of them falter as they try to help them.

I am not a missionary but I know the emotional disappointment when trying to help friends and they are self-defeatists.

DeletedUser

what would keep a person going through years of hard labor?
there's always different reasons other than only to help others that missionaries go out.
most of the time, it's for their own good. (e.g. missionary will know that he/she is a good person)

only a few people actually go on missionary trips only to help others

and it depends on what kind of missionaries you mean...

DeletedUser

...Also, my step-cousin James csme down from Missouri last week. He's a heavy smoker, but he brought up a good point. He smokes because his grandfather died when he was little, he was beaten up a lot as a kid, and his mom walked out on him. For him it's a way to deal with everything that happened to him and leave all the stress out for a little while.

Basically what you are saying here is that he has chosen to run from his problems rather then face them.

I disagree with that Parno. Yes, they may get personal satisfaction of helping the odd person here and there succeed but probably experience more pain watching most of them falter as they try to help them.

I am not a missionary but I know the emotional disappointment when trying to help friends and they are self-defeatists.

I disagree with both of you. I feel man (speaking in the generality of the race not sexuality of gender) is at the core good. Along the way we fall. A loved one dies, you get picked on at school, born to unfortunate parents unable to provide, abusive relationship... The list can go on and on forever. Somewhere along the way most people stop. We get caught up on those situations as if they were the end of the world rather than seeing that they are obsitcales put in our path to rise up and overcome.

Missionaries, I believe, are people trying to do the right thing for the world. They bring food, water, shelter, and fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon your religious views), the word of God. I can't imagine most people want to willingly give up a year of their life because they want some sort of personal gain. HOWEVER, at the same time, many of those we think as charitable are really just doing it to promote themselves (i.e. Bono and his U2 clan).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser55253

Well vilja it all depends on the person also.. I mean there must be some missionaries out there who only do it to help the poor/needy and unlucky.. But lets not start a religious debate here too :O

DeletedUser

Well vilja it all depends on the person also.. I mean there must be some missionaries out there who only do it to help the poor/needy and unlucky.. But lets not start a religious debate here too :O

I was not starting a religious debate although I will admit that some groups or forms of religion assist only for the reason of proselytizing.

DeletedUser

why not?? :D

DeletedUser55253

Argh cause religions is the worst argument to be brought up. EVER!

DeletedUser

I was not starting a religious debate although I will admit that some groups or forms of religion assist only for the reason of proselytizing.

I believe everyone "religious" except the buddhists do that..

@ parno, yes, the government can generate money out of legalizing drugs and prostitution.. but in the end, all the rehab centers and "cure of AIDS" wont help fix what doom they have brought upon their country...

As someone already said, you cant "cure" addiction.. Why let the people kill themselves and in the end, you simply "fix" only half of them in rehab centers?? Plus, people go back to drugs even after passing out from rehab centers.. Only real motive for the government to do such a thing is for revenue, otherwise they would cast their country out to rot.

What your saying, is the same as saying this:

"Lets invent a deadly virus that will kill everyone and then we will release the medicine to cure it and in the end, we will make LOADS of profit.."

Think about it. Legalizing drugs is simply absurd.

DeletedUser

I believe everyone "religious" except the buddhists do that..

@ parno, yes, the government can generate money out of legalizing drugs and prostitution.. but in the end, all the rehab centers and "cure of AIDS" wont help fix what doom they have brought upon their country...

As someone already said, you cant "cure" addiction.. Why let the people kill themselves and in the end, you simply "fix" only half of them in rehab centers?? Plus, people go back to drugs even after passing out from rehab centers.. Only real motive for the government to do such a thing is for revenue, otherwise they would cast their country out to rot.

What your saying, is the same as saying this:

"Lets invent a deadly virus that will kill everyone and then we will release the medicine to cure it and in the end, we will make LOADS of profit.."

Think about it. Legalizing drugs is simply absurd.

what happened when the government illegalized alcohol?

Caleb1705

People went into a rage and started going to underground bars, because they were addicted to the alchohol. And now over 50% of car accidents are from drinking and driving. You can take it however you want though...

DeletedUser

Since this has gone to the General section and so off-topic I have to add this Ripper.

Pat's King of Steaks is awesome. I used to live in New Jersey and on a rainy weekend we would drive an hour plus just to get cheesesteaks. They were the best!

What part of Philadelphia are you from?

Pat's and Gino's. I played both sides of the fence in that cheesesteak war.

I grew up in West Kensington.

DeletedUser

People went into a rage and started going to underground bars, because they were addicted to the alchohol. And now over 50% of car accidents are from drinking and driving. You can take it however you want though...

no... gangs were created because of it
and existing gangs were strengthened because of it

there was more violence. :p

DeletedUser

gangs = bad!

here in Chicago, its really sad to see all the people die from the crossfire.

we have so many murders here its ridiculous. the other day there was an article about a 10-year old boy getting shot in the head by a stray bullet hitting him from a drive-by that was targeting a 16-year old gang member.

its so sad to see all these innocents and young people my age die like this...

DeletedUser61336

gangs = bad!

here in Chicago, its really sad to see all the people die from the crossfire.

we have so many murders here its ridiculous. the other day there was an article about a 10-year old boy getting shot in the head by a stray bullet hitting him from a drive-by that was targeting a 16-year old gang member.

its so sad to see all these innocents and young people my age die like this...

Not trying to turn your words against you now muffin, as I do find it hard to believe that someone would kill another on purpose. However, our parents(for the 20- people here), they are squashed between the baby-boomer gens before and after them.

The gen before them will cost too much money for them to retire, meaning that the gen after them won't be able to retire at the same time, if ever. As they have to support the elderly, their kids, pay for their childrens college, and take care of themselves. Now, that's alot of money, and not much would thus be put into savings for retirement.

Now, as I've stated already, I find it very hard to believe that someone would kill another on purpose, accidents do happen, but still. Anyway, the gen between the baby-boomer gens is outnumber(only to the gen after them) by 3:1. That's alot of kids...And then there's about twice as many elderly than there are middle-aged folks too. So, basically, on average, one middle-aged worker has to take care of 2 elderly, themselves, and three kids. That is nearly impossible to do by yourself...Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

Due to those calcs, my parents have pushed me to start working as early as possible, to save money for college and be able to take care of myself early on. Of course, my father thought ahead and bought credits for a community college while it was cheap, so I have 2 years worth for free, so long as I pass the class(es). So, I will get 2 years free, and then I should have enough money to live on my own from there...I might even be able to support my parents if truely needed by then.

Anyway, my rant should end now, so I will say this to end it, start saving for retirement right away when you get a job. It will really help you out.

DeletedUser

Not trying to turn your words against you now muffin, as I do find it hard to believe that someone would kill another on purpose.

Now, as I've stated already, I find it very hard to believe that someone would kill another on purpose, accidents do happen, but still.

sorry to disagree, but its a sad fact of where i live. (i dont live in the actual city, thank God, but i live in one of the suburbs, and a nice one at that i am glad to say)

here read this article i pulled up from our papers internet site:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/jan/02/local/chi-homicides-chicago_02jan02

edit: also look at the names of the related articles.