Proposition 8

DeletedUser

I'm against homosexuals having children at all, for the reasons I've stated throughout this thread. Take that away, and let them be married for all I care. I don't care what people do, so long as it doesn't adversely effect others, as I believe a homosexual home would inevitably hurt a child.

As said above, i'm not flicking through all the other posts in this thread so excuse me if you have already answered this.
If the homosexual parents can provide the child with love, support and a strong guidance through life ( a thing alot of straight parents can't provide ) then what's the problem? How does their sexual preferance relate to how they can bring up a child?

DeletedUser

Well (Dark may have different reasons) but i honestly think the child will:-
A. Be bullied. I don't hate homosexual but i only recently graduated, i know what a school yard can be like for those who are outcasted/different. Emos for example (don't debate this as they are self-proclaimed) would always be picked on as they where not like everyone else. Gays where also heavily picked on. Reason:- picking on someone can make you look better/"cooler" infront of your friends.
B. As Dark previously mentioned, the parents who adopted the child would have no choice in the matter - they will find out they are adopted. If a heterosexual adopted but noticed that their child wasn't ready to hear the truth about their parents then they have the option of waiting and slowly explaining it to the child when they see fit. Homosexual parents wouldn't have that choice as, with whats being taught in schools, they will work it out straight away at a younger age...which could lead to many things, such as them hating their parents for not telling them.

I may not have explained it well, but they are a few points. Although we will never know what effect it has on a child unless we actually talked to someone who was adopted by homosexual parents (not a 9/10 year old. I mean someone who is 18ish and has experienced school and how they may he been treated)

DeletedUser

A. Be bullied. I don't hate homosexual but i only recently graduated, i know what a school yard can be like for those who are outcasted/different. Emos for example (don't debate this as they are self-proclaimed) would always be picked on as they where not like everyone else. Gays where also heavily picked on. Reason:- picking on someone can make you look better/"cooler" infront of your friends.

If the child was so worried about being picked on , then why would he/she tell people that he/she has gay parents?
I understand that the child could become embarressed of their parents through this, but the thing is if the childs parents show the child love , respect and guidance that wouldn't happen. The same situation as having straight parents.
If I had gay parents I would have no problem telling anyone that that was the case. Simply because I know that the people who wouldn't give a dam would be my true friends and that's all you need in this world.

B. As Dark previously mentioned, the parents who adopted the child would have no choice in the matter - they will find out they are adopted. If a heterosexual adopted but noticed that their child wasn't ready to hear the truth about their parents then they have the option of waiting and slowly explaining it to the child when they see fit. Homosexual parents wouldn't have that choice as, with whats being taught in schools, they will work it out straight away at a younger age...which could lead to many things, such as them hating their parents for not telling them.
I faill to fully understand what you are trying to say here sorry.

I may not have explained it well, but they are a few points. Although we will never know what effect it has on a child unless we actually talked to someone who was adopted by homosexual parents (not a 9/10 year old. I mean someone who is 18ish and has experienced school and how they may he been treated)

I agree 100% here. I tihnk noones opinion on "Gay Apdoption" will be changed through words.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

What i meant by B was, once the child learns that same sex couples can't conceive (which i learnt in grade 8 science) then they would work it out for themselves, meaning at a very young and impressionable age they will find out they are adopted (or will just ask their parents alot of questions about it and they would end up telling the truth) Whereas heterosexual couples are able to delay telling their child the truth until they think the child is ready to know he/she is adopted.

I agree with you about your true friends, but still the amount of people that commit suicide due to high school bullying is phenomenal. As much as everyone says it doesn't effect them, it actually does. Whether it be in a good way or a bad way.

thebigt625

Now reading all this is something I really don't fancy doing (even if I had the time ), so i'm just going to go straight in with my main belief.

What's so different about straight and gay relationships? I belive the main reason why two people fall inlove with each other is because they're happy together. So what gives anyone the right to deny one type of relationship?
Sure people who are religous could argue "God created two different type of sex's for a reason" but wouldn't god/religous figure want all his/her worshippers to be happy?

Lol, I really dont have much to say on the subject.

But I just want to point out that religion itself is irrational - so don't try to put logic into it.

darkaniken2

Lol, I really dont have much to say on the subject.

But I just want to point out that religion itself is irrational - so don't try to put logic into it.
Irrational, yep. But will that stop the billions of people who worship a deity? Nope.

And matt, the "teachings" of "god" suggest homosexuals are evil and sent by the devil, and are going straight to hell.

DruidEarth

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Now reading all this is something I really don't fancy doing (even if I had the time ), so i'm just going to go straight in with my main belief.
Not even my massive text walls? :icon_cry:

I'm against homosexuals having children at all, for the reasons I've stated throughout this thread. Take that away, and let them be married for all I care. I don't care what people do, so long as it doesn't adversely effect others, as I believe a homosexual home would inevitably hurt a child.
Hm... So you aren't adversely affecting others by opposing their right to legally marry? :icon_confused: You're opposition to gay marriage is a factor, however minor, in denying gay people that right and all the benefits it entails.

Matt already dealt with my other issue with your post.

Ya, okay... I've covered this before, but I'll go over it again. In places where people are tolerant of homosexuality, the teasing is minimal to non-existent. Conclusion: People should be taught to be more tolerant of homosexuality. And if gay marriage remains illegal, the concept of it in people's minds will be that it's bad. More often than not, things that are illegal are morally bad. Like murder, rape, robbery, identity theft, etc. (I'm not gonna go into my opinion on certain drugs here. Let's just say that there's a certain other Proposition on the November ballot in California that I happen to support.) But is gay marriage really that bad? I still haven't seen anyone prove that it is. So why is it still illegal when that helps propagate discrimination and bias?

Lemme tell you about my 9th grade history teacher... Her biological mother is lesbian, and her biological father is gay. They both wanted a baby, so they had one together (I believe through artificial insemination). Both parents ended up in homosexual relationships. And waddaya know? She ended up as an amazing teacher, and a very nice and intelligent woman. No, I don't think she's gonna join the forums just to tell you about it. But this may be the closest you get to hearing directly from someone who was raised by a gay couple (or gay couples).

What i meant by B was, once the child learns that same sex couples can't conceive (which i learnt in grade 8 science) then they would work it out for themselves, meaning at a very young and impressionable age they will find out they are adopted (or will just ask their parents alot of questions about it and they would end up telling the truth) Whereas heterosexual couples are able to delay telling their child the truth until they think the child is ready to know he/she is adopted.
I wrote a long answer to this, and then realized I was just rambling. So I deleted it all. :p

Why are people assuming children will freak out about being adopted? If their adoptive parents love them, there shouldn't be any issue with the child rejecting them or being upset. Yeah, it will be a shock at first. So maybe a younger age is better. The child will always have known, and they'll be able to come to terms with it as soon as they're old enough to understand.

I agree with you about your true friends, but still the amount of people that commit suicide due to high school bullying is phenomenal. As much as everyone says it doesn't effect them, it actually does. Whether it be in a good way or a bad way.
Bullying as having a good effect? And again, back to the whole "teach tolerance" spiel.

Depends on the religion and how you interpret it.

Irrational, yep. But will that stop the billions of people who worship a deity? Nope.

And matt, the "teachings" of "god" suggest homosexuals are evil and sent by the devil, and are going straight to hell.
What about deities? :icon_wink: And the religions without deities?

Teachings as defined by whom? And which "God"? I happen to know of plenty of tolerant gods and tolerant teachings.

DeletedUser90656

Just going to go ahead and second everything Druid said. There is one thing would like to respond to, though... again.

I, for one, believe in what I see God do, not what other people have written about him. I have seen God create some amazing people who he has made, for whatever reason, homosexual. No, they did not choose to be that way, and yes, they are kinder, more intelligent people than most of the people that exist in today's world.

I feel as though you should stop talking about what people of any religion believe, as you have already told us that you do not follow any. Before I went to college I attended a Catholic mass every weekend, hell, I even played in the church choir. I would prefer it if you'd stop trying to tell me what I've been "taught," as I've been taught, by God, that homosexuals were created by Him, and that they should be respected just as any other of his creations.

Question: Are you friends with any homosexuals in real life? (This question can go for anyone who is for or against homosexual marriage as well)

DeletedUser

All the homosexuals I know are't very evil imo.

DruidEarth said:
Not even my massive text walls?

I'll go read your posts <3

Dancetryhard said:

Well upon the parents actually recieving a child, the adoption clinic (?I don't know what it's called?) would run things like this through with the potenial new parents. So the parents could be aware of situations like the one you've described above to plan ehad and work out what would be best to do. You can also cut your child out of all sexual education class' , but obviously lessons within those class' need to be learnt so it wouldn't be the best solution. It would also have alot of flaws.

Dancetryhard said:
I can understand this , but if the child felt he didn't want over people to know about his parents then he could just not tell anyone. I think alot of the "bullying" thing would actually come down to what type of personality the child would develop at a later life.

thebigt625 said:

It was more to show how I felt about the religion as it was being discussed previously.

Question: Are you friends with any homosexuals in real life? (This question can go for anyone who is for or against homosexual marriage as well)

*nod* I have a few bisexual friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

this is converting to be a religious debate

thank god im an atheist :O

darkaniken2

All the homosexuals I know are't very evil imo.

I'll go read your posts <3

Well upon the parents actually recieving a child, the adoption clinic (?I don't know what it's called?) would run things like this through with the potenial new parents. So the parents could be aware of situations like the one you've described above to plan ehad and work out what would be best to do. You can also cut your child out of all sexual education class' , but obviously lessons within those class' need to be learnt so it wouldn't be the best solution. It would also have alot of flaws.

I can understand this , but if the child felt he didn't want over people to know about his parents then he could just not tell anyone. I think alot of the "bullying" thing would actually come down to what type of personality the child would develop at a later life.

It was more to show how I felt about the religion as it was being discussed previously.

*nod* I have a few bisexual friends.
Never said they were. Didn't you see the ""s? I find it rather ridiculous personally.

DeletedUser

nope what will stop those billions worshiping a deity is a proper education for children that doesn't involve brainwashing them from birth. according to most world religions we are pretty much all going to this fictional place called hell.

fortunately though theres no such thing as the teachings of god and therefore no hell.........which is nice :)

dark, overall in this thread your opinions scare the shit out of me. you seem a person of relative intelligence, a little supercilious at times, but rational enough. but how an intelligent person could formulate such opinions is shocking to me.

i can understand the arguments " their disgusting and it shldnt be allowed" as these mainly come from the ignorant incompetent inbred illegitimate halfwits who cant see further than their own bigotry.

do you know the amount of children throughout the world that never get the chance to be adopted? that spend their youth getting moved around foster parents, in and out of state sponsored orphanages, never getting settled. many of which turn to crime, drugs and end up in youth correctional facilities. lives ruined before they have begun because they have had nothing even approaching settled family life?

do you really have the ability to rationalize that thats better for them than having two parents that will love and care for them based on the possibility that they might get bullied at school because of their parents sexual preference?

DeletedUser

Two men together is just wrong. Two women, is perfectly fine. Case closed.

Need a new sig, any takers?

DeletedUser

Never said they were. Didn't you see the ""s? I find it rather ridiculous personally.

I know :D Was just showing how rediculous that statement was.

And Willy your points in that post were spot on. I agree.

@ Humpty, shush the big boys are talking :icon_cool:

DeletedUser

do you know the amount of children throughout the world that never get the chance to be adopted? that spend their youth getting moved around foster parents, in and out of state sponsored orphanages, never getting settled. many of which turn to crime, drugs and end up in youth correctional facilities. lives ruined before they have begun because they have had nothing even approaching settled family life?

do you really have the ability to rationalize that thats better for them than having two parents that will love and care for them based on the possibility that they might get bullied at school because of their parents sexual preference?

Its also a matter of lack of balance. With two male parents or two female parents it may give that child a unfair advantage.

For instance i don't know my father, i was raised by single mum and my sister. Growing up all i knew was about their stuff. I learnt how to cook (my mums a cook not being sexist) but to put it blunt i wasn't a normal boy.

I didn't learn to change a bike tire until my next door neighbour (who was a year older then me) taught me. He also taught me how to fish, tackle, fight, play football, swim, even showed me how to build a coffee table so when i went to woodwork at school i knew what i was doing. Now i know there are alot of female parents out there who do know these sorts of things. But honestly - i didn't harden up and that until i had a male influence in my life.

Now just being raised by my mum and sister wasn't always a bad thing, i now have a lot more confidence with women and can be a bit of a charmer at times, just purely because i was often surrounded by them with my sister/mums friends coming over.

So to put it short, i had to work a lot harder at things. My friend would get taught stuff by his dad then he would come teach me. A child does need a balance of both female and male in their lifes.
I strongly disagree with same sex couples adopting. Sure i turned out okay in the end (debatable :p) but that was because a guy who was 1 year older then me stepped up and was like a brother/father.

darkaniken2

Well dance, I was raised by a mother and a father, and I turned out to be an asshole who hates everyone.

On-topic:

@willy, I'm not sure I follow. My opinions scare you? My being concerned for the well being of a child scares you? My worrying about how that child will be cast out of society because of the choices his/her parents made scares you...? Please, do explain that to me.

DeletedUser90656

Its also a matter of lack of balance. With two male parents or two female parents it may give that child a unfair advantage.

I think the key word there is "may." All you've proved with your example is that different people experience different things: my mom, for instance, taught me everything I've needed to know about my car... for example, changing tires (which I had to do yesterday... new rim!!! :D That's why that came to mind... sorry.). Now that gender roles have become less significant in society, I don't think the male vs. female influence on a person is as prevalent. Also, as you said, you had someone else there who could help to teach the things your mom and sister didn't know as much about. Who's to say an adopted child wouldn't have friends as well? I know I've had plenty of friends teach me a variety of things... hell, my dad definitely didn't teach me how to swim, fish, tackle, play football, fight or build a coffee table... I still don't know how to do some of that... though, I know plenty more about keeping track of my finances than most people, because my dad is a financial planner... also, I can't cook worth anything :icon_wink:

Point of long ramble: The fact that there is only a female or male presence in the household is not a factor.

DeletedUser

I totally disagree with this bit... What about all the single parents that do a damn good job of raising their kids? They only give one gender's "traits". And that's the part I disagree with the most... I don't think there really is a manly or womanly sort of characteristic anymore. I know a bunch of stay at home dads that are really good cooks and that do the house cleaning, and how many sportscasters on ESPN are women? I'm just saying that in today's world a child can get whatever he needs from either gender. Saying homosexual parents will ruin the child's life is illogical.

But at one point or another, they meet their mother/father - regardless of whether it is every day, every week, every few weeks, every month, ever few months, yearly or rarely - they still meet their other parent. In this case, there are just two mothers.

And it won't ruin their life necessarily, but what if to effeminate males fall in love, or two very masculine males were to fall in love? (Same goes for women in this case). It would be very hard to say the least to ensure that the child would get good homosexual parents and not have a girl growing up to be more masculine than the people on the rugby team or a guy who grows up wearing pink shirts and a voice higher than Justin Bieber.

It has the potential to. And in my scenario, I'm not even looking at the repercussions. What happens if the child is a homophobe? Does the child swear at them using multiple homosexual curse words then go out on to the street?

Not even then. So long as people follow Islam and Christianity, the worlds two largest religions, homosexuality will NEVER be tolerated. And while the number of Atheists grow, not fast enough to change the moral views in any of our lifetimes.

Religions against homosexuality, with sweeping changes, could change this. Though considering gay sex acts are punishable with the death penalty and Islam's hell-bent attitude to ensure that their religion remains as it was when Noah was a boy, I hardly see that happening in regards to Islam. Mind you, one stupid Islam semi-extremist went on A Current Affair here and made me /facepalm at the fact he was detesting the thing in the constitution which gave him the very right to speak and not get carried out by the AFP and executed.

My point is, Christianity could change their stance over time, Islam never will.

I don't think it'd be compared to Hitler, but yes, it would make the educational system a joke, and the government would be a laughingstock.

It could be. In 1933, Hitler changed the textbooks in Secondary schools to be very pro-Germany. Guess what these children grew up to be by the time 1939 came around? Soldiers ready to fight in battle!

Surely its not on the same evil scale, but its doing a similar thing - lying to pupils about history, or in this case, biology.

That is possible, but I must admit, unlikely. The main disadvantage would be the ostracisation(sp?) from society. And that is putting the end result mildly.

Exactly.

She's 10. I don't know how much she knows about sex because I only get to see her every other summer. :icon_cry: But it's probably not a lot because her Momma is very protective of her. I know she realizes her moms are lesbian. She's talked about that before, and she's told me about the initial confusion with figuring out what to call each of them so they wouldn't both come running if she said, "Mom."
Response to bolded word: Yeah, it's a possibility. So why not work to minimize that possibility as much as we can?

Yes, its possible to minimize it, but as long as there is a weakness, people will pick on it until it becomes so normal its standard in society. And this will take decades to occur, if not longer. She understands, though they are her parents, unless she's a homophobe she's not going to desert them.

And tolerance can be preached, but as I explained earlier (along with dark), as long as there is religion, there would not be tolerance. If I was gay I hardly think the majority of my Christian right family would be overly tolerant of it. My dad would probably be the most tolerant, as he's one of the only people in my extended family who I believe is not actually religious (aside from myself).

You'd be surprised... I learned how to use a condom in 5th grade.

And I didn't know what sex even was for another year. There are some who find out early, some who find out late.

But with any luck, the younger generations can and will change. Things are slow, but we just have to do our best with as much support as we have. And by making same-sex marriage more mainstream, it will be easier for new people to come to accept it.

Regardless of how much tolerance we preach, as long as there is religion, there will be people frowning upon homosexuality. Even as atheism grows, there will still be people against it. Inevitably, this change will take a long time.

I'm going to take the Labor/Greens coalition in Australia. If the Greens threatened to cross the floor if Labor didn't pass same-sex marriage, Labor would take a significant hit from the Christian voters, not to mention the right-wing of the Labor party would probably end up turning the whole Labor/Greens partnership into a shambles, not to mention turn parliament into a world of internal party conflict while the Liberals bash them to bits.

I'm assuming these should be grouped together? I believe you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that schools teach how sex is supposed to happen and where babies come from... I know at my school, in 5th grade we learned about our... "private parts" and what their functions are. In 8th grade, we then went more in depth about our bodies and everything they experience/do (puberty and all that jazz). In 9th grade, we finally had legit sex education, which I believe is actually already required to be taught by the schools by the government, the current policy being abstinence until marriage.

So, to clarify one more time, I too believe it would be stupid to preach that same-sex couples can actually "create" children. In reality, it will be up to the parents AND the schools to teach them how children are actually made. Also, I do not believe that same-sex couples would teach their children that same-sex couples can actually create children... as they are not looking to corrupt society.

Also, I think HIACliff responded to the other point I had a problem with already... so go HIACliff! :)

More or less.

My point is, parents cannot teach them one thing when they're 10 lets say, and then the school says something completely different the next. It doesn't work that way. And that is one of the main reasons against same-sex married couples having children. They simply can't have children, and as dark said, they could end up ostracised simply because they have gay parents. Not to mention how awkward it is when other kids ask 'What does your mum do?'. We would have to change the whole mentality of society.