Player Made Maps

DeletedUser

w53s.jpg

Need a new font... The A's look like Z's, heh.

Happle is in 9 K's lol :icon_cool:

Edit: Nice map hard. Wish I'd looked at the thread before makin my map. They're the same I think lol. Ahh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Very nice map. Well constructed.

So, my question is, who is Contra, going to merge into? COMING or Happle? Maybe there will be no merge at all and they will be "consumed"!? :icon_eek:

DeletedUser

Nice map Xplicid. Just make the edges of the villages a bit more defined.

DeletedUser

Nice map Xplicid. Just make the edges of the villages a bit more defined.

It's probably the glow I put on? Hmm. I've been that bored just playin with different styles recently. I see what you mean, but I did purposely make it the way it looks. I'll keep it in mind for the next one :)

how do you do your maps? Select - color range, select - expand, select smooth, edit - fill and then blending options? Allyboo's way? Or do you skip the smooth part? Or what? :)

The map I made of w32 (not posted there so dont go lookin) with the above technique (look at the 'other villages' in black) looked really cool with all the villages pixelizedished and stuff. Photoshop crashed and so I didnt save it but the technique only works with tribes that have defined areas... Will have to wait a couple months for w53 o_O

DeletedUser

It's probably the glow I put on? Hmm. I've been that bored just playin with different styles recently. I see what you mean, but I did purposely make it the way it looks. I'll keep it in mind for the next one :)

how do you do your maps? Select - color range, select - expand, select smooth, edit - fill and then blending options? Allyboo's way? Or do you skip the smooth part? Or what? :)

The map I made of w32 (not posted there so dont go lookin) with the above technique (look at the 'other villages' in black) looked really cool with all the villages pixelizedished and stuff. Photoshop crashed and so I didnt save it but the technique only works with tribes that have defined areas... Will have to wait a couple months for w53 o_O

I roughly do it that way. I always change it up, I rarely smooth it.
The style is good but it's too zoomed out/the world's not developed enough to stand out yet.

DeletedUser71925

Ok. So my map was just something small I did, messing around with a few settings. Just added some tribes that came to mind. This is more of "what do you guys think" sort of post. Oh, and Hard., thanks for the guide. Gave me some great insight into map-making with PS while I was downloading it. Going off on my own direction here. Not that good, but some feedback would be nice.

[spoil]
xnuflx.jpg
[/spoil]

So yeah, if I get good feedback, I may do one of the top tribes or something, but this was just something I made up. Contra looks teeny. I'm working with contouring to see if I can get any shades working good, but the yellow kept looking like poop. :/

DeletedUser94990

Ok. So my map was just something small I did, messing around with a few settings. Just added some tribes that came to mind. This is more of "what do you guys think" sort of post. Oh, and Hard., thanks for the guide. Gave me some great insight into map-making with PS while I was downloading it. Going off on my own direction here. Not that good, but some feedback would be nice.

[spoil]
xnuflx.jpg
[/spoil]

So yeah, if I get good feedback, I may do one of the top tribes or something, but this was just something I made up. Contra looks teeny. I'm working with contouring to see if I can get any shades working good, but the yellow kept looking like poop. :/

no expert so can't give too much advice/feedback. I personally don't like it when the towns look like a sticky blob :icon_confused: but just my opinion I think. The teal/green are similar in color and with the white outline they also mix in with the white maybe just different shades/colors. colors were what made it hardest to read especially in what I would guess is K55. maybe have a cross-hair to separate the core K's as well.

DeletedUser

Heh. That's not bad for a first map, really. There's some damn ugly maps out there :lol:

Just a couple suggestions:
- Add the 'other villages' so we can compare the tribes to the world.
- Add a date the map was made so we can look back and, yeah. I know your post has the date but some people go to the effort in putting all player made maps in a animated GIF.
- Until you work out how to effectively use Bevel and Emboss, in Blending Options just use a Gradient. It's so simple but so sexy on the eyes.
- Add a 1pixel outline to each tribe layer. Probably black, but can change it up like I did with mine (see the glow?)

Just a couple tips that I think could make you from 'just a map maker' to 'wow omg thanks for that map sbymarch!' sorta thing :icon_razz:
Don't be offended, you done good. I'm just sayin. We need more quality map makers out there. *nods* :)

DeletedUser94990

Heh. That's not bad for a first map, really. There's some damn ugly maps out there :lol:

Just a couple suggestions:
- Add the 'other villages' so we can compare the tribes to the world.
- Add a date the map was made so we can look back and, yeah. I know your post has the date but some people go to the effort in putting all player made maps in a animated GIF.
- Until you work out how to effectively use Bevel and Emboss, in Blending Options just use a Gradient. It's so simple but so sexy on the eyes.
- Add a 1pixel outline to each tribe layer. Probably black, but can change it up like I did with mine (see the glow?)

Just a couple tips that I think could make you from 'just a map maker' to 'wow omg thanks for that map sbymarch!' sorta thing :icon_razz:
Don't be offended, you done good. I'm just sayin. We need more quality map makers out there. *nods* :)
wow much much better advice than me, awesome post. :)

DeletedUser

[spoil]
xnuflx.jpg
[/spoil]

Thanks for the feedback on my guide.
First off, which program did you use to make that map?
Lets crack on with the map. If it was one of your first, it's a great start! As Xplicid said, it's tricky to get bevel/emboss effects right, you're nearly there but it looks a bit "rough" you need to make it smoother so it's easy to distinguish between the separate villages. My next "criticism" would be the glow. It's very in-your-face and could be toned down a bit. I'd suggest making the glow the same colour as the actual villages and lower the opacity a tad.

DeletedUser

Very nice map. Well constructed.

So, my question is, who is Contra, going to merge into? COMING or Happle? Maybe there will be no merge at all and they will be "consumed"!? :icon_eek:

little late for them happle already merged with coming

DeletedUser71925

Thanks for the feedback on my guide.
First off, which program did you use to make that map?
Lets crack on with the map. If it was one of your first, it's a great start! As Xplicid said, it's tricky to get bevel/emboss effects right, you're nearly there but it looks a bit "rough" you need to make it smoother so it's easy to distinguish between the separate villages. My next "criticism" would be the glow. It's very in-your-face and could be toned down a bit. I'd suggest making the glow the same colour as the actual villages and lower the opacity a tad.

No worries, it helped me out a lot. And this is comign from a guy who was annoyed at your antics against CBears on W50. :D

I used CS2 Photoshop for this (only thing I could get my hands on that wasn't corrupt or too big as my net gets capped fast).

I used contouring, I don't know whether I should maybe get rid of that so that it looks smoother, because I did smooth it by 2 (just once, by 2 pixels).

As for the advice on the glow, I was considering putting it between 1-3 pixels but was rushing it so wasn't too fussed. Played around with the opacity a bit, but I'm not an expert so I left it it at around 80%. Should I lower further to 50/60% then? I also made the glow a different colour (I'm Australian, not British, before you get excited, :p) just because I wanted it to have the illuminant effect (the yellow looks like a light-bulb) but I'm on holidays so I'll have time to tamper with the blending options.

I'm also wondering if you could help me making .gif maps or whatever you did with the map you made. Is it hard to learn, because a lot of the other stuff you taught was fairly basic and well explained, so I understood quickly. The visual aspect might have helped too. :D

@ Xplicid (would have multi-quoted but noticed too late):
Thanks for the advice also.

I think the world is simply too small to add the other villages. By small, I mean more-so the tribes in question. I think I had a 1 pixel outline. Might have forgotten it. I'll spend some more time on things and see what I can do in terms of a better map.

Funnily enough, I was going to add a date in the bottom-left corner to take up some space but just rushed it and saved it.

You probably won't believe me when I say this, I'm better with Bevvel and Emboss than I am with Gradient. Yeah, I've experimented with Gradient on one the other 2 maps I made and I just didn't seem to like it. I got good feedback for it, but I don't know.

My other 2 maps here can be found in this post:
First Maps
The first spoiler is my first map ever!

Last edited: