A Can of Worms?

DeletedUser

The forums are boring at the moment. What happened to DS when everyone was away? :p

You're right, they are kind of dead. So here's my little wormling:

The good dukes quit, the bad dukes remained. According to my sources those remaining thought they could control the then UA to their whims, which they soon enough (or, not soon enough to them, I guess) would discover they couldn't. When they then joined enemy tribes and/or attacked us in turn, they soon started to lose their villages.

DeletedUser

Off topic so I've moved them rather than delete.

If there are any objections I can just send them back and delete them :)

DeletedUser

I'm sure Eldredge and Foxbite would have some different insight here, but I can provide some details to help fill out the picture.

At the time of the DS demise, there was a lot of stagnation inside the UA leadership over what rules controlled the UA. The adoption of the governing structure pre-dated my arrival to the UA Council, so I can not address what the original documents looked like... because nobody kept them. THis caused some problems, obviously, when we began to see the creation of Apoc (from the merger of RKN and TWA) and how to apportion voting rights inside the Council.
BA had 2 tribes, DS had 2 tribes, and DVA had one. Our intention was to safeguard the rights of these minority tribes in the new UA configuration.

This was the backdrop of that time, and I think it's crucial to keep this in mind.

At about this time the T~S war begins winding down. DS had fought T~S to a virtual stalemate in the central k14-k15 area. BA entered the fight to help our ally, and within a few months, the war had turned in our favor. This gave rise to the question of recruitment of enemy players. BA and DS sought to replenish their ranks. Many Apoc players - who had arrived into the area and were engaging T~S, too, by this time.. well... they objected to certain players getting recruited. So, this creates a new front in the internal UA diplomatic battle. If the original governing rules unclear... and with voting allocations open for debate... the UA was starting to get bogged down in gridlock. I was just as guilty as anyone.

Then there came a discussion about assimilating the non-Apoc tribes under a unified name. UA-1, UA-2, etc.
This touched a nerve with many of the non-Apoc tribes. For BA... we did not want to give up that name and the heritage it has. The people who were (and still are) leading BA promised to carry the BA name until they couldn't. This same thought was prevalent inside the DS leadership, too.

It was then that Eldredge and Foxbite began talking about recruiting a large number of T~S people - despite the objections of the Apoc representatives on the UA Council. The thought being: "Apoc is trying to starve us of recruits, so we'll merge into them."

It was at this time that BA decided to leave the UA and remain allies with the UA members.

But the actions of DS were troublesome to BA, as it would open a new war (between DS and Apoc) on our western flank - at a time we were still fighting T~S and now FUSE and xGoCx in the northeast. If DS recruited in a bunch of T~S players, and war erupted with Apoc, BA would be forced into a two-front war... something BA has consistently avoided.

When Foxbite and Eldredge moved ahead with their plan to create a new tribe -- with the T~S refugees and a group of other Apoc players -- we saw the writing on the wall. I helped arrange a merger into BA to help stave off impending war. Foxbite had already made promises to ex-T~S members, and Eldredge had sent a message to all DSers before they left -- urging them to take up arms against Apoc if Apoc ever attacked any former DS. I, personally, found this to be very unhelpful ... planting the seed for a future mutiny. Given my friendship with Eld, I was shocked.

This was then followed by Fox and Eld eating a few inactive accounts all by themselves. They had come into BA with the sat accounts. We told them that the BA policy was to spread the sat accounts across the entire tribe - to help people move to new areas, and to help smaller teammates grow. Yet, Fox & Eld ate up hundreds of villages "under the radar."

If I recall correctly, the final straw was when we got word that Fox was sitting accounts of old T~S players... who were actively engaged in war with Apoc.
At this point Fox left BA and Eldredge soon followed.

It's been a long time since all of this went down... and I'm sure Fox & Eld can provide other details and/or correct any errors I might have here.
But to the best of my recollection, I think this covers the highlights of that timeline.