Anti-Hacking Petition [revived]

DeletedUser

I have to agree with mods. If they were to use anything as evidence then accusation of hacking would be as good way of eliminating enemies as hacking it self. Also sometimes you experience people that are just dumb. We can't hide from it.. they exist! and they don't even know it. For that I idolize mods/admins with their patience.. after 3rd time explaining some one exactly the same thing I would just give the person ban for being dumb. =D

I remember long time ago some1 got into some1s account because his password was "ass" or something like that xD

BTW - I love all the colours around :D :) :D Red, Pink, Purple, Green, Orange and Blue! YAY!

We do as well :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

I really wasn't meaning the "push accounts" and other issues as a slap in the face to the mods. In fact you've answered my in-game questions admirably.

AND, somehow on w29 in the first couple of months... someone from a tribe somehow got the password for a player and then used that player to attack me. The part he didn't realize was that i COACHED that kid in real life and had left the game for one of his other worlds like months ago! LOL. whoops. report and BANNED! You all did a good job there.

I do some security work with corporate networks and proxies and the like are VERY VERY hard to point a finger at and figure out the truth of the connection behind them... hence... its the point of a proxy.

Again, wasn't flaming the mods. Just making the point that this stuff has ALWAYS been going on. some slip by, some get caught. In the end its a game. Its just like the awp on Counter-Strike Source and some kind of weird script thing that ALLOWS the person to JUMP AND STRAFE and somehow EVERY SHOT IS A HEADSHOT! lol. or on COD4 where people just spray through walls and get headshots like they're nothing... or just like the various "radar/map" hacks on MOST FPS games.

This is STILL a game. Doing halfway decent against cheaters always made FPS fun. SOMETIMES COMPLETELY ANNOYING, but when you get those successes/kills, you just go... Hells yeah!

DeletedUser

If there is a problem, which I don't know, a thread here fills no use whatsoever anyways. If someone gets hacked, send in a ticket. Then it gets dealt with.

i think the people want t.w. staff to be proactive not reactive....

i sent in a ticket today on player who made threats to hack our tribe.

we will see how its dealt with...

DeletedUser

I really wasn't meaning the "push accounts" and other issues as a slap in the face to the mods. In fact you've answered my in-game questions admirably.

AND, somehow on w29 in the first couple of months... someone from a tribe somehow got the password for a player and then used that player to attack me. The part he didn't realize was that i COACHED that kid in real life and had left the game for one of his other worlds like months ago! LOL. whoops. report and BANNED! You all did a good job there.

I do some security work with corporate networks and proxies and the like are VERY VERY hard to point a finger at and figure out the truth of the connection behind them... hence... its the point of a proxy.

Again, wasn't flaming the mods. Just making the point that this stuff has ALWAYS been going on. some slip by, some get caught. In the end its a game. Its just like the awp on Counter-Strike Source and some kind of weird script thing that ALLOWS the person to JUMP AND STRAFE and somehow EVERY SHOT IS A HEADSHOT! lol. or on COD4 where people just spray through walls and get headshots like they're nothing... or just like the various "radar/map" hacks on MOST FPS games.

This is STILL a game. Doing halfway decent against cheaters always made FPS fun. SOMETIMES COMPLETELY ANNOYING, but when you get those successes/kills, you just go... Hells yeah!

I apologize for misreading and misinterpreting your post then.

DeletedUser

First off, I want to say that "hacking" is technically the wrong term for what I have seen. From what I have seen, they are just getting passwords, which is not necesarily hacking, unless they go into the tw servers to get it, which is highly unlikely. What I see going on, is what used to be refered to as "cracking". We used to use programs for this on yahoo, allowing us to steal alot of email addresses, change the passwords, and use those accounts for other purposes.

Second, a true hacker does not do it for attention, they do it for knowledge. A true hacker is entering a system to learn how it opperates, not for destructive purposes.

What is going on is bad for the game, however, it should be called what it is: account theft.

I do support the cause, however, lets do it right. A petition isnt gonna do anything. Start by educating your members of propper passwords. A password should not be just some random word that you can remember. The best passwords are those that encorporate letters, numbers, and special characters. Dont use short passwords, and definitely dont use your name. Dont use words that can be found in the dictionary.

Come on guys, dont be so hard on the mods, they have to know what they are looking for to stop it, and what we are talking about cant be spotted until after its happened. The only way it can be prevented is by educating all users on how to prevent it from happening to them.

DeletedUser

I signed the petition but only because I wanted to show my disapproval of hacking.

The only thing I hoped would happen by signing this petition was that maybe some hack happy twit would grow a conscience or realize that hacking isn't cool. But I was never really expecting any system changes that would solve this problem.

I have to agree with the mods here, I mean there's only so much you can do. All MMO's have these issues and more often than not its the fault of the players themselves for not being careful.

Proving hacking is very difficult because reporting hacks is prone to abuse.

For example two tribes are in war, a small player from one tribe messes up his own account then says the leader of the other tribe hacked him. There are just so many ways to fake it, not that its likely to happen, but the mods have to assume that possibility before they go about banning people. If they can't be completely sure its a real hack they can't really do anything about it.

EDIT: Reading and replying to this thread gave me a mild case of paranoia and a sudden compulsion to change my password lol that's at least one way this thread can help inspire account security.

Honestly though I've played a lot of MMO's and not once have I ever been hacked. I really do think this is an issue the players should deal with and be more careful about, personally I never play or use my passwords out in a public computer out of fear that keyloggers might be installed, I only log on in my own private computer (which is why I'm sometimes off on my attack timing if I get home late or something :icon_redface:) I also reformat my PC every now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

For example two tribes are in war, a small player from one tribe messes up his own account then says the leader of the other tribe hacked him. There are just so many ways to fake it, not that its likely to happen, but the mods have to assume that possibility before they go about banning people. If they can't be completely sure its a real hack they can't really do anything about it.

Just wanted to say that this is really easy for us to figure out so something like this wouldn't work.

DeletedUser

I would say there is no way people can hack in tribalwars as the gaming site itself use php script to prevent hacking into system. Otherwise the whole game server will be gone if hacking is a piece of cake. It's only have to blame players themselves if they are using easy password on their ID..If you are also using firewall in your pc or mac operating system, no hackers can get thru to control your pc/mac operating system...unless you have no firewall or no knowledge of using Administrative tools in control panel..then your pc can be easily crashed.

Faetzy

Also if you choose to change your password, don't change it to something that's going to be very simple. Try not to use the same password you use for other things.

Make the password complicated with numbers and letters garbled in.

Damn, so having my password as my favourite food isn't a good idea...

Like Cheese for an example :icon_wink:
I've never had the privledge of being hacked, however it'd anger me if it occured due to the amount of money i've invested into my account (parents money) :icon_cool:

DeletedUser

This petition will barely achieve anything that could be concluded as a positive result. And I think you knew that even before you made this thread.

I'm sure the reasons don't need to be highlighted, Pulsar (<3 :icon_razz:) and crew have already stated what needed to be said.

One of the few reasons this thread exists, is because hackers just happened to successfully hack some of the more 'vocal'/influential people on the forums.
Tedeni, as much as I love ya, I can tell you now that your password wasn't as complicated as you first thought, else you wouldn't have been targeted.

Perhaps that's a flaw of being part of a co-played account, where you're likely to be using a password which is more simplified, so you can both/all remember it, in comparison to when playing solo, where you generally put a more complex password in as you believe you're the only one who can remember it. Regardless, that's my personal opinion about the matter. But not to drabble on...

At the end of the day, the responsibility of keeping your account secure lies with us, the players. The admins have done everything they needed to secure it as best they can. Or at least, if you're a paying customer, that's what you should be believing. I wouldn't pay for Premium if I knew 100% that none of it would proceed to developing the game and it's security measures, in one way or another.

Oh, and probably would be a good side-note to mention that not downloading any 'questionable' content helps. Keyloggers are hidden everywhere nowadays. :icon_confused:

EDIT: I will mention though, after this thread, I have considered adopting a routine to change my password every now and again. Many people are apparently considering the same. So, in essence, I guess that could be deemed a plus. :)

Jake

DeletedUser

Strong password thats what we need :)

sure hacking is not good i do understand the feelings of those who got hacked..

DeletedUser137

It achieved a positive result. It resulted in my support ticket on this thread being replied to by one of the admins and I provided him with a link to the offending website.

Things are happening now and thanks to all who put a little bit of force behind it.

DeletedUser

I have looked at the site where every one asks for hacks of TW accounts and seems like most hacks will be made on the ones trying to ask for help hacking there. =D "Give me you account name and password and I will hack him for ya" I wonder how many kids did fall on that.

DeletedUser137

I have looked at the site where every one asks for hacks of TW accounts and seems like most hacks will be made on the ones trying to ask for help hacking there. =D "Give me you account name and password and I will hack him for ya" I wonder how many kids did fall on that.

The javascript where you insert your name and password and it automatically e-mails the guy with them was particularly ingenius as it looked like a troop counter.

The "hacks" where you just put your username inbetween lines of numbers was the dumbest thing I ever read though.

DeletedUser30342

I sign this petition. People need to be more aware of these things happening, and more careful.

DeletedUser

I can tell you now that your password wasn't as complicated as you first thought, else you wouldn't have been targeted.

Would you call multiple words and numbers simple? I like to combine completely unrelated words into a password, together with random numbers in random positions.

Sounds like dictionary or brute force hacking, no need to hint that I have no clue about password strengths, I know enough to know that the password was not guessable.

DeletedUser

Would you call multiple words and numbers simple? I like to combine completely unrelated words into a password, together with random numbers in random positions.

Sounds like dictionary or brute force hacking, no need to hint that I have no clue about password strengths, I know enough to know that the password was not guessable.

I wouldn't, no. Then again, I'm not a hacker, nor someone who attempts to get ahead via it, nor someone whom gets a cheap laugh out of it. Nor have I ever been the victim of it during my time in this game. I've been hacked on other online services before, but not TW, but I won't press into that.

I didn't hint that you had no clue. I didn't state that the password was guessable. All I stated, was that someone managed to get your password, through whatever means. Dismissing it as 'not guessable' simply because it 'sounds like dictionary or brute force hacking', or because you thought it was as complex as it possibly could be, is simply naivety. Toby hasn't vehemently defended against what I stated, whilst you have. It leads me to speculate that Toby at least shares some uncertainty about the password strength.

I'll agree on one thing, however. Cases like this need to be investigated individually. However, this in no reason decrees it right to have a petition for stronger security methods to be enforced. Other than what's been said here, there is nothing known about what's in place protecting against brute force hacking, and Morthy's chosen not to go into the specifics.

I'm not entirely sure on what your stance is with the petition itself, Tedeni, as it wasn't clear in your post, but I'll add this for benefit of the doubt for the rest of the readers: As of now, only 2-3 cases of hacking have been made public. From the moderator's view, that's 2-3 out of 18,246 players currently on World 37. In reality, there could be hundreds more, but at the moment, the only thing which would make admins/moderators turn their heads, just for a moment to engage this, is that those 3 happen to be high-profile players. Other than that point, would you, assuming you as a moderator, actually regard this petition seriously if there's only 0.16% of World 37's players saying that they've been hacked?

Jake

DeletedUser

I'm sure I've had a lot more experience with passwords than Toby has, that is likely why he was uncertain. I've hacked plenty of downloaded files open, online hacking isn't much different if there is no protection.

The moderators can't do anything to prevent hacking, they can fight it after it has happened. Only the admins can actually do something to prevent hacking, but from their responses it seems like they don't care, or simply couldn't be bothered.

Percentage shouldn't matter if they were serious about stopping it. The fact that it happens should be enough of an incentive to do something.