building upgrade times calculator

DeletedUser

have you ever seen a loan rate calculator, online? one where you plug in various values, like the amount you want to borrow, the interest and the monthly payment you can afford, and it figures out how long the loan term will be? or you plug in the amount, the interest rate and the term, and it calculates your monthly payments? sometimes, they're even in javascript form, and you have a little slider that you can move back and forth.

while mine's not quite as elaborate as all that, i've put together an MS EXCEL spreadsheet to figure out how to optimise your resources to calculate your building upgrade times more precisely! :icon_idea::icon_idea::icon_idea:

you plug in the:
1.) resource production rate [from your village overview screen]
2.) name of the target building [just as a reminder]
3.) resources required [by clicking on the village headquarters]
4.) current resource supply [from near the top of most pages]

and then comes the thinking part. :icon_eek::icon_sad::icon_eek::icon_sad:

you have to work out which resources you can sell and which ones you need to buy, to equal out the time you'll need to have them all be finished at nearly the same minute!

right now you're probably thinking, "well, that's what i'm doing now, einstein!" :icon_confused:

ah, yes! but how many times have you had one resource fill up to the point you want, only to have to wait another ten or fifteen minutes, because you figured wrong, hmmm...??? :icon_twisted:

this spreadsheet makes doing that figuring a little less complicated. mainly, because it's doing most of the figuring for you! :icon_biggrin:

here are a series of pix, explaining how it works:

let's say you want to upgrade your village headquarters to level 22.
and let's also assume that your timber camp, clay pit and iron mine are at levels 17, 19 and 14, respectively.

this shows what the sheet looks like after filling in initial data.
http://home.att.net/~oxo/TW/TW_calc_1.jpg
[note that cell C7 is highlighted, because i had to hit the left-arrow key after entering the 0 in D7, in order for that entry to register. you never have to hit the enter key. just numbers and arrow keys. oh, yeah... and the minus sign, but that's not until the next step.]

my clay will be ready in just under 12½ hours, but i won't have enough iron for more than 22 hours!!! the difference is so huge, i thought trading as many as 1000 units might be a good, first guess.
i typed -1000, hit the right-arrow key, typed 1000, and hit the left-arrow key again, to register my second entry.
http://home.att.net/~oxo/TW/TW_calc_2.jpg
[notice how the minus number is shown in red, and in parentheses, and how that cell is highlighted, again, after my last entry.]

ok, so clay is up to 14:34, but timber's now the long-runner, at 19:36
i typed -2000 [to add another -1000 to the -1000 that was already there,] hit the left-arrow key, typed 1000, and hit the right-arrow key, to register the last entry
http://home.att.net/~oxo/TW/TW_calc_3.jpg

now, clay is somewhere in between timber and iron, so i'll need to balance those two out
because iron production is so slow, a little goes a long way. i tried shifting only 100 timber over to iron by hitting the left-arrow [to make timber the active cell,] typed 900, hit the right-arrow key *twice* [to make iron the active cell,] typed 1100, and hit the left-arrow key [to register the entry]
http://home.att.net/~oxo/TW/TW_calc_4.jpg

after another few tweaks, i got all three resources to come in just under 17 hours, and all in the same minute! [this finalisation may vary by a minute or two, either way, once more and more resources are built up.]
http://home.att.net/~oxo/TW/TW_calc_5.jpg

what i have just achieved is not only knocking nearly FIVE AND A HALF HOURS off the total time i have to wait for my resources to accumulate to the point i can upgrade the building of my choice, but i also know *exactly* how many units of which resource to trade, to optimise that wait! :):icon_smile::icon_biggrin:

if you want to d/l a BLANK copy of the spreadsheet, you can get it from here:
http://home.att.net/~oxo/TW/TW_calc.xls

there's a likely possibility that you'll need MS OFFICE, in some form or other, in order to access an MS EXCEL spreadsheet. this one was built on office 2000.

most cells in the spreadsheet [the ones that are black-on-grey] are "protected," meaning you can't change the values in those cells. that's so you can't accidentally screw up the calculation functions. the only cells you can change data in, are the ones you need to.

you will notice, right away, a few differences from my demo pix:
a.) a division by zero error in line 9, when you open it, which will go away once you plug numbers into line 2.
b.) the colours are a bit different. you can alter these if you first un-protect the sheet in your tools menu, but i would entreat you to protect it again, *immediately* after making any changes, so you can screw something up while entering your data. [trust me on this one; i learned through unpleasant experience.]
c.) the font is different. i like the swirly letters. again, if you un-protect the sheet, you can use whatever font you want, but protect it again, afterwards.

if someone wants to upgrade this into a javascript, that would make it more user friendly for more users. i'd sure love a copy of it, if you do. i don't do java. it took me three days to put *this* one together! [and you should *see* that calculation in line 9!!! :icon_eek:]

take care, and happy upgrading to one and all!

blingadore

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

WoW, erm nice work. Ill be honest, I didnt read it, like at all. But if you would be so kind as to tell the me general outline of it I might go back and read it :icon_wink:

DeletedUser38006

Yeah... what is it about:S?

The first couple paragraphs made me think it is something that Premium already does??

DeletedUser

best way is, more farming :lol: , then there is no problem of not enough res.

DeletedUser

Chea

Wow, guide to point whoring...and no one is flaming it?

It is kindof, but It is also really helpful if you're running low on resources, or if you just sent a noble train at a distant village which has few troops to farm. At that point, this is clearly the most efficient tool to use.

Good work

DeletedUser

It is kindof, but It is also really helpful if you're running low on resources, or if you just sent a noble train at a distant village which has few troops to farm. At that point, this is clearly the most efficient tool to use.

Good work

yeah i dont mind it lol. never realy though of using it untill now.

JustMyLucky

ah, yes! but how many times have you had one resource fill up to the point you want, only to have to wait another ten or fifteen minutes, because you figured wrong, hmmm...??? :icon_twisted:

that happen a lot :icon_evil:

DeletedUser

I think theres far too much thought going into this.

What you do is:
Build troops -> Build Troops -> Build farm -> Build troops

I think you see where im going with this, the only buildings I ever upgrade other than my farm are my barracks and stable. If you need more points then noble another village, if you need more resources farm them. If the mines in your village suck, that just means you picked a rubbish noble target.

DeletedUser

to answer some of the questions...

:icon_biggrin:after the intense work on figuring out the calculations to display hh:mm, where mm < 10 [e.g.: a 1-digit number] and *not* have it come out displayed as hh:m [boy did *that* suck! five hours, six minutes looked like 5:6 :icon_eek:] i thought i would share.

honest, an' fer true... it's not that difficult to use. :)

i posted it on world 19, too, but somebody replied with, "...But with 1000 LC + you don't run out of resources..." whatever that means. :icon_confused:

now, to specifics:

newbilepenguin: the idea is, briefly, this helps you balance your resourse needs, very precisely, as opposed to the time it will take to generate them. even if you just click on the linx to the pix, you'll probably get some idea of how it works. :icon_idea:

tarsh: what does premium have, that we don't? :icon_cry:

slayer: how does more farming get you more iron?!?! :icon_confused:

mighty: what's point whoring? no one's selling any points. you're just trading to get what you need, as efficiently as you can get it. :icon_razz:

andrew: thanks! use it in good health! :icon_biggrin:

huggling: you too! enjoy! :icon_biggrin:

lucky: that shouldn't happen, any more! the example i used in the demonstration was a real one. when i *first* started waiting for this upgrade, my resources were virtually nil. the resource fulfillment times would have looked like this:
:wood: 34:13 ; :clay: 28:53 ; :iron: 41:55

i couldn't *possibly* wait 42 hours, while the iron filled up, since the clay and wood would *both* overflow the warehouse, and i'd lose bunches of resources, if i didn't trade. but exactly how much each, of timber and iron?

after letting things run by themselves for 19 hours, i brought the calculator into play. after re-figuring what i needed and what i could sell, [in the 5th pic,] you'll see that i dropped from 22 hours to less than 17 hours left. and at that point, and the minutes were exact. once you start using larger numbers, [because you are, after all, dividing by an hourly rate,] the precision get more finely tuned. it's like launching a probe at saturn: a 1 degree-second error at launch, could mean being 2 degrees off, upon arrival.

well, as i write this, i've still got approximately six and a half hours to go on my headquarters upgrade, as we speak. i just plugged in my current resources. [i keep my working copy of tribal_calc.xls saved on my desktop] and here are the current stats:

:wood: 6:31 ; :clay: 6:28 ; :iron: 6:29

not bad shooting, after 41 hours, huh? the only trade adjustment i would need to make, at this very moment, would be to trade 10 clay for 10 timber. then they'd all equal out at 6:29.

another advantage to doing the calcualtions is that, because i knew i was going to be waiting 22 hours, i was able to lengthen the travel times on my offers, too! i had a couple caravans that took 10 hours to get there, but i didn't care! i didn't *need* the resources all that quickly.

if anyone's got any more questions, please feel free to ask. :)

bling

DeletedUser

As for the farming comment. id just like to explain that in my main village my mines are 26/26/30 but i make the majority of my res through farming. I can generally mind about 15 coins a day just from farming in that one village. However i am constantly short on iron there, just because my farms dont like iron lol

Hence for me this guide is essentially redundant as my resources almost enirely comes from farming.

DeletedUser

I think theres far too much thought going into this.

actually, there's almost *no* thought at all!

What you do is:
Build troops -> Build Troops -> Build farm -> Build troops

hmmm... ahha! i get it, now! the bull-in-the-china-shop school of thought... yeah, i can see how that could work, too. :icon_wink:

I think you see where im going with this, the only buildings I ever upgrade other than my farm are my barracks and stable. If you need more points then noble another village, if you need more resources farm them. If the mines in your village suck, that just means you picked a rubbish noble target.

well, again, "yesss.... but." to *get* those buildings to upgrade more quickly [e.g.: that farm and barracks and stable] you still need to upgrade your H.Q. and to get your resources at a greater rate, ['cause you need an awful lot of wood, to make archers, iron for heavy cavalry, clay for catapults, etc.] you *still* have to upgrade your mill and pit and mine!

you wanna clue? i'm offering you a vowel. you don't wanna clue? just solve the puzzle. either way, makes me no nevermind.

party on!

bling

DeletedUser

Hrm...

You get to a stage where the mines don't matter much, if you want resources, you farm for them. If you have a new village or your troops are out or low, you ship in resources from another village. Either way is faster than mines.

DeletedUser

...in my main village my mines are 26/26/30

ah. that would explain it, then.

1) i've only been playing for a few weeks
2) i've only got one village
3) i'm still levelling up

i'm looking at this from a complete newbie standpoint.

bling

DeletedUser

You guys have to consider that at this stage, only about 25% MAX on this world play it with thought and effort, the other 75% just mess around, slacking.

So for 3 quarters of the TW population, this guide is useful.

However, subtract that from the number of that 75% who actually read forums, you are left with 1 person.:icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

Hrm...

You get to a stage where the mines don't matter much.

you'll notice, from my last post, that i am an admitted newbie.

how do you farm iron to make cavalry units? or how do you farm clay to build catapults?

i think i'm cumfruzed. :icon_confused:

bling

DeletedUser31515

my buildup:

Village Headquarters (Level 20) 9155 10311 7120 17 3:36:44 Farm upgrade necessary
Barracks (Level 25) Building fully constructed
Stable (Level 20) Building fully constructed
Workshop (Level 3) 600 503 520 2 1:05:08 Farm upgrade necessary
Academy (Level 1) Building fully constructed
Smithy (Level 20) Building fully constructed
Rally point (Level 1) Building fully constructed
Statue (Level 1) Building fully constructed
Market (Level 22) 16149 20952 16149 92 15:36:18 Farm upgrade necessary
Timber camp (Level 30) Building fully constructed
Clay pit (Level 30) Building fully constructed
Iron mine (Level 30) Building fully constructed
Farm (Level 30) Building fully constructed
Warehouse (Level 30) Building fully constructed
Hiding place (not constructed) 50 60 50 2 0:11:18 Farm upgrade necessary
Wall (Level 20) Building fully constructed

i like the "Building fully constructed" statement so im always hard pressed not to max out those useless buildings :icon_redface:.

i think this calculator is a fine thing for less active players. if ur active u got enough income from farming that u have to ship it out or mint coins so ur warehouse does not overflow. there is now such thing as waiting to have enough resources.

DeletedUser

Hrm...

You get to a stage where the mines don't matter much, if you want resources, you farm for them. If you have a new village or your troops are out or low, you ship in resources from another village. Either way is faster than mines.

OK guys, I have a question for you: is there a point in time when you stop farming altogether and just rely on your mines for resources? If the answer is yes, then when do you do that? When you reach 10 villages? 50? 100? 200? 400?

robi zmaj

i like the "Building fully constructed" statement so im always hard pressed not to max out those useless buildings :icon_redface:.

I like it too, it is really hard to resist that:icon_cry:

DeletedUser31515

OK guys, I have a question for you: is there a point in time when you stop farming altogether and just rely on your mines for resources? If the answer is yes, then when do you do that? When you reach 10 villages? 50? 100? 200? 400?

when u open the map and u see all yellow and blue u can stop farming. personally i'm more fore yellow, the blue's can be a little way off.