Christmas

Apathetic h0llygh0st

Consumer of Beverages
Reaction score
Guys I really really hate having to close a Christmas thread...
So I'm moving it to the GD and reminding you all that the debating of religion and politics is strongly discouraged because as you know people get carried away.

The topic of a Xmas break in favor over other religion's holidays has been discussed endlessly as well. So drop it.

Also, Merry Xmas :icon_wink:

DeletedUser79042

art, that was an amazing story indeed. If I am allowed to say ... your explaining and contuct was/is that of a deep religious person and reflects the fundamentals of Christianity. I will make no further comment, as I think holly is correct in his statement.

Next wish!

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

robot out :xmas smile:

Michael Wittman

I think that's a wonderful point of view to have art and its very good that you are still here. Also you seem to recognize that its your point of view and that's all it is. I'm not belittling by saying that's all it is, your point of view is everything to you and there is nothing more true to you. When people can realize that their point of view is only true to themself then I think the world would be a much more peaceful place. When people try to insert their point of view into other peoples minds, conflict takes place. Now take that to a world and governmental level and you have warfare

DeletedUser

I don't think I'll see the day where the parents won't be allowed to "teach" their kids their own values (it's the main role of parents, I think). Religion is an important part of many individuals of every religions and it has to be respected as a basic freedom.

I absolutely agree. If parents were not allowed to have a role in the teaching of their children it would make parenthood defunct and the state responsible and authorising social engineering. That would undermine completely the institute of democracy. As the man says, I don't have to agree that a particular type of education should be indoctrined or taught but I accept that it will be and to have it any other way would be dictatorial. Doesn't mean I have to like it and god help you all if I ever get elected :icon_twisted:

Social influences will remain forever wether it's religion, a kid influenced by friends into taking drugs, being vegetarian, joining a sect or a new religion, voting communist, voting republican, voting democrat, eating suchi :icon_eek:, etc.

Well said.

Teaching your religion is not lieing to your children when you really believe in it. It is (almost) always done in good faith by the parents. I'm not saying parents should burn (or punish) their kids for not believing in religions but you can't force them not to try to teach it to their kids.

I agree that teaching children religion is not lying to them. Making them believe in the impossible (fat guy in a red suit) is however a bona fide unnecessary lie.

Lieing about the existence of Santa Claus is an old tradition that is never done in a harmful way but only to capture the kid imagination (in my view). I will certainly lie to my kids about it (when I actually have kids), to make them dream and have fun. Like all kids, they will find out one day and they won't hold any grudge against me for lying to them at all.

I think "grudge" is to hard a term. As a parent you endeavour to teach your children about good moral and social responsibility. That is one of the most basic concepts you can teach a child as it builds their entire character base as they progress through life. If you show a duplicity of character yourself by teaching on the one hand a certain set of moral values while on the other hand deceive your child in about a Santa Claus you will eventually undermine in the character of your child some of the values you were trying to teach.

I don't buy the "its good for their imagination" line either. I had a healthy imagination as a child lost in the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, Hero Quest and all sorts of fantasy worlds and science fiction worlds such that my imagination knows no bounds. I appreciate why people might feel different. I've just given it a lot of thought and my rationale leads me to these conclusions.

DeletedUser

I think "grudge" is to hard a term. As a parent you endeavour to teach your children about good moral and social responsibility. That is one of the most basic concepts you can teach a child as it builds their entire character base as they progress through life. If you show a duplicity of character yourself by teaching on the one hand a certain set of moral values while on the other hand deceive your child in about a Santa Claus you will eventually undermine in the character of your child some of the values you were trying to teach.

I don't buy the "its good for their imagination" line either. I had a healthy imagination as a child lost in the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, Hero Quest and all sorts of fantasy worlds and science fiction worlds such that my imagination knows no bounds. I appreciate why people might feel different. I've just given it a lot of thought and my rationale leads me to these conclusions.

Well, we can disagree on that. :icon_biggrin:

It's just an old tradition that has been been going on for quite a while. Is it necessary? No. Is it useful? No.

I played a lot of video games and that developped my imagination a lot more, I agree. I think that story is for younger kids than those playing video games though. I wil still lie to my kids about the fat red guy. I don't think it's important enough to "undermine the character of your child". It's just part of a broader culture thing, in my view.

DeletedUser

Touche! and with that we have reached the end our our conversation on this subject :)

DeletedUser

some real good points !! i lie about santa but i know my kids know he dont exist but hey they play along and it adds to the fun, i was just happy not to get beaten on so santa, or any other thing was good games of any description are a great escape from all sorts of problems and even as a man i can still go away into a game and escape, read a book in 1 day sometimes not just for fun more for an expansion of my mind, the mind is a funny thing,

first christmas in 10 years on my own (divorce) and yeah its been fun but never drank so much, enjoyed it but hey lots of folk you never met mean alot more than the people you have how odd.

can take the piss and whatever dont really care, festive times best thing i did was give all my smokes to a homeless guy christmas eve as didnt have any money a charitable act doesnt just appease your own mind it helps some folk have some form of comfort,