Classic: What went right; What went wrong

DeletedUser

The concept is great.
The size is fantastic.
The speed might be a little fast for what the game represents.

Classic... didn't do everything what it was supposed to do. No one can deny it.

It was supposed to:
--attract fantastic, active players
--Provide a setting to play without palladins.

I could easily go off on a long world-of-warcraft inspired rant about how palladins suck, go through gory detail about why I hate them, and discuss how their presence in computer gaming is a much bigger threat to society than violent games ever will be, but I will save that for another thread.

Here is where I think my biggest problem with classic comes up:

W10 was getting along in time.
I suppose w11 had been going on for some time.
W12 was on the drawing boards.
4.0 was deep in development.

Classic. Old units, medium speed, premium only.

It did attract a lot of the big names from a number of other worlds.
However, why focus all your time on a small map with an ever dwindling number of highly competetive players... when there are several other worlds going through the best part of their lives which also use the classic units.

Once this classic ends, i wont be suprised if no new classic starts in its place. However: I implore the mods to not throw this idea away. As the new worlds are all 4.0 with pallies and archers and mounted cavalry (oh my!) the ever present yearning for classic units will return. I know that even tho new units provides new strategic options to me-- palladins are so GhEy that I don't want to join a world that has them.

Classic provides the option.

Future classic servers, started at a time when there are no w12's in the works, and most of the new worlds have fancy new-fangled units, will probably recieve MUCH more interest, and attention, from players, rather than being a "playground village collection contest."

I mean, most of my villages I took from players that built them up from abandons. And ive had a nice time and took out some nice enemies and made some good friends, but, all I can say about the whole experiance is "meh." But its only "meh" because 10 and 12 required the bulk of my attention.

DeletedUser

What went right : I finally quit :)

What went wrong : I think the biggest problem is what was supposed to be good. Bog name players from other worlds joining. The problem with that is everybody has / had a main world to play in and focus their energy. There was no incentive to do well and the world was just way too small. I think it was too easy for players to quit because they felt they had already proved themselves in other worlds.

At the beginning, I felt like there was more ego than actual game play going around. I don't feel like the overall skill level was anywhere near what is was supposed to be - maybe due to lack of effort. I didn't see any teamwork at any level outside of 'let's attack this same tribe sometime on the same day'.

I think when most people join a new world, they plan on playing it for a long time and they commit to it. This one felt like everybody was playing like it was temporary - which it obviously was. It was stuck between the quick rush of speed worlds and the methodical play of a long term game.

DeletedUser

Thank you for your input, I stickied this post.
People please give us your thoughts about it.

Deathbringer989

I'd like to see more of a build up to the next classic - a very early warning. This way everyone can plot and plan before hand etc. and players will be more exited.

I'd also like to see a world with a mix of the 3 settings

No unit upgrades
No archers
No paladins
Bonus and barb villages
Speed 1.25
No joining after 7 days

One thing I'm sure about is that i raised my game a mile in classic, and I'll be playing the next no matter what.

DeletedUser

i would like a speed 3/5 for 3 months. that would get my premium :icon_wink:

Sinithar

Well, even being a .Jpg, I must say the .Jpg ruin the world. This world was the first in which orientation was not choosable, to prevent tribes like .Jpg from rising. But eventually, it rose, and probably resolted in the big quittings, because I believe that if russki wasn't with RockYourSocks, AoxomoxoA and the others, there would have been a lot more action for them.

Size was great, speed could have maybe been a bit slower, not sure though.

I'd like to see more of a build up to the next classic - a very early warning. This way everyone can plot and plan before hand etc. and players will be more exited.

I'd also like to see a world with a mix of the 3 settings

No unit upgrades
No archers
No paladins
Bonus and barb villages
Speed 1.25
No joining after 7 days

One thing I'm sure about is that i raised my game a mile in classic, and I'll be playing the next no matter what.

No upgrades and no new units? I'm ok with no new units, but no way you're taking the levels away as well!

An opposite mix would be good, new units with levels.

Last edited:

Deathbringer989

I joined at the start of W6, and never really grew to the old settings.

Like the packages a lot, and the no archers. It's just a pain when you noble some idiot you doesn't research anything past level 1.

DeletedUser

idiots who don't build villages properly was one of the things that went WRONG in classic.

I am a

STRONG

supporter of future classic rounds with current settings, but slower speed. Hell, even current settings are really fine in my book.

I firmly believe the biggest problem with classic was, is, and will remain w10 and w12.

Once those worlds are passe (i suppose 10 is and the growth phase of w12 seems to be ending) classic will become interesting again. I'm not interested in 13-15, since im not interested in pallies. So a future classic round will be miuch more attractive to me than even the current one.