Debate: Human Nature

darkaniken2

I'm bored, so I'm going to host a debate of what you believe human nature is. Everyone is invited, but keep it nice. :D

DeletedUser

Personally i dont believe its any different to other animals found in nature, the promotion of the individuals genetic material is at the base of our programming, We form families/communities to aid us in this goal, the battle for territory/resources is all to ensure the continuation of our lineage.

DeletedUser

humans, unlike any other species has a continued drive for information, yes other animals use tools as an aid - but we as a species not only use crude tool's but we perfect it and improve on it over and over - this is what sets us apart from other animals - where as they stop at rocks and move around to find food - once upon a time we did this - but planting, and replanting over and over atchived a much bigger yeild, like wheat for example - you could at one point have lost a cow in wheat - but now, to save on waste and increase yeild - it is no higher then 2ft. thats because of sucessive breeding or cross polination of wheat, has gradually bread the size down- therefor making less waste.

this amongst other things sets us apart.

we dont really have the desire to have a community sence anymore - we just live close to our jobs, instead of all together for protection - this is due to the fact that, actually weve eliminated all threats - and what i mean by that is human nature to problem solve, like bears - weve killed them all to a manageable population, wolfs - same thing, anything that has posed a threat has been wiped out to provide safety.

people say were greedy, were not, we are just stripping the world of resorce like weve always done, exploiting every situation and area' finding a food sorce all the time.

like the evolution of wepons. this i belive will be the one area, which will prove the downfall of humanity- because of our outright desire to crush anything that pose's a threat.

DeletedUser

They are a crappy boy band who think they are heart throbs when they really arn't

Do i win mister dark?

DeletedUser

I believe that the general trend of individuals is a normal distribution. Most are basically neutral, and about 96% do/believe slightly good things or slightly bad things. (good meaning helpful, kind, encouraging, bad=opposite).

People in groups? Basically terrible. Gangs, mafia, bullies, riots, mobs, need I go further?

DeletedUser71572

Human Nature, I believe is our ability to love, and extend kindness and generosity to others. If we dont do this, we cannot distinguish ourselves from animals/monsters. (Which is what a lot of people are)

A true human being, is one as stated above.

DeletedUser

Human nature is extremely complex, a mix between animal instincts and cilvility. If you get what I mean.

I'd have a tl;dr talk if I wasn't lazy (part of human nature/trait) and had school work to do.

DeletedUser

Shrek is completely wrong. People are naturally completely evil. When you have a kid you will learn this in their first two years of life. Take away the consequences, and our world would be a really scary place. Given the excuse, like a command from an authority figure, many people will lie, cheat, or worse because once the consequences fall on someone else, they assume their own morality is off the hook.

Undead Billy Mays

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Declaring Human Nature either good or evil is pointless. The perception of good or the perception of evil all depends on how you define those two words. The theory of good and evil is based entirely on a set of morals which is debatable whether or not it is divinely implanted or created by man in order to inject a system of control into society.

Human nature is just like any other nature. Survival vs personal ability to. We all applaud teamwork and find it necessary in our tribes jobs and families. The first use of teamwork by early humans was applied by groups of young adult males getting together to rape and pillage nearby tribes. Most of us would not commend this behavior but what it did was teach these groups to work together as well as extend the gene pool out of a small group. This was a step for survival in the early times.

I think it's pointless to label people good or evil in this kind of debate. Most people ignore or suppress their natural inner urges because if they acted on every one of them they would be violating God and Man's law on a daily basis. (trust me i know... I have an ex wife :p ) I dont believe we should act on every instinctual urge that we have since it would violate the well being of others. Everything that we think, act, are, will be, our could have been is all part of human nature. It's the collective of every behavior that we are capable of

DeletedUser

Most people ignore or suppress their natural inner urges because if they acted on every one of them they would be violating God and Man's law on a daily basis.

This statement seems to say that the only reason calling human nature "evil" is pointless isn't because of the vagueness of perception, but because it is so obvious that without either a divine or man made law a Lord of the Flies situation would result. While I agree that it is obvious, I thought I'd chip in only, and if for no other reason than because people like to deny what is otherwise an obvious truth. Perception may cause disagreement when it comes "gray areas", but on the whole we all know right from wrong, and as your post sums up, our natural urges tend toward wrong most of the time. :icon_twisted:

DeletedUser

The world is made up of 98% sheep 2% wolves.
Take gay's for instance (please no-one take offense) they where very much dis-liked back in the day...few wolves seen through the difference's and started seeing them as just human beings aswell, so others started to follow the trend so not to risk being out-castes. They now make up part of society and there are still people out there who despise them, but are too afraid to do so due to the back-lash they will receive.
Another example..Global warming. Scientist's are still unsure about it..some say its true...some say its not. Leaders of countries have no choice BUT to take action out of fear that if it is true, they will be blamed..
Also, society tends to take little blame for things and quiet often try to find a scape-goat 99% of the time.

This is a generalization as a Whole. There are individuals within society and at one point or another everyone of us becomes apart of that 2% of wolves..MOST tend to go back to being a sheep though..less pressure and stress, also less chance they will be classed as an out-cast. Everyone wants to be apart of something..whether it be a big something or a small something, they still want to be apart of something. I mean, heck, who doesn't want to be remembered? Whether its by heaps of people, or just your family, people always crave acceptance and to be remembered.

Personal opinion of course, so flame away :)

darkaniken2

As far as being remembered, that doesn't make you a wolf or a sheep. To be remembered, you only have to do something memorable. Good or evil, right or wrong, both sides are remembered:

Good
Mother Terresa(sp?)
Ghandi
Martin Luther King Jr.

Evil
Ted Bundy
Adolf Hitler
Josef Stalin

All remembered, but in different lights.

DeletedUser

So by following others decisions that will count as doing something memorable?

Ghandi and Martin Luther King JR, both had courage and stood up for what they believed in..making them wolves.

Ted bundy went after what he wanted (eww!)

See, what all 6 of those people had in common was that they didn't just sit back and follow. They lead and made what they wanted happen...they became the wolves and the sheep followed. That is why they are remembered.
Except Ted bundy...Im sure there is some messed up person in the world who respects him o_O