Dilema: Light Cavalry vs Axemen (Startup)

DeletedUser

This may cause miss-understandings and arguments, which I do not want to fall on. If I will see a post which is completely useless saying opposite of my thoughts, I'll ignore it. If I see a contrustive dissagreement, I could reply with either agreeing with it or dissagreeing.

This was made on request of some W42 players - I did my researched, and these are the results, please do enjoy.

Those who think again, this should be here: It should be. These can help each W42 player if they are in dilema how to start the game. And the troops base is the "must" of TW start-ups.

Startup Dilema:
"Light Cavalry or Axemen?"

Many players confronted me about this issue, that I should talk about it and share my ideas with them. Though, I realize I'm not an expert on every path, but I like to do some researches and ask few players from their expirience, how each unit presented them in future development.

The start-up dilema may always occure in Troops: Axemen or Light Cavalry

Some may answer:

"This is stupid, ofcourse it's the best way to rush for LC and start farming!"

or
"What? How can you leave out Axemen? You can easily clear everything with them at starts!"
or
"Just recruit both - simple..."

The idea is, that all of the answers are correct, but ofcourse in different situations. In order to break our dilema's and make them clear is to present those "different situtations".

1.) World Settings

Every start-up Guide written by a decent player is worthy to read and worthy to folow. We ussualy come onto LC Rush Guides or Resources LVL Guides or Axemen / Spear Farming Guides (there are more, but they don't play any official role in what I'm trying to say).

The thing you need to know is world settings in order to chose correct Guide which will guide you in the best future for your village / +s.

The most used Guide is LC Rush Guide. It's like a General Guide - like for example: "Nike is the general mark for sports dresses, trainers...", but ofcourse we also now Adidas, Puma, and others.

• LC Rush offers us always great farming routes and hauls
  • LC Rush offers us fast hauls and strong offenses
  • LC Rush offers us eaisest cleaning village while preparing for nobling
But there are also settings when I would suggest not to folow LC Rush.

• Slow World Speed (0.5 world speed for example)
  • Morale World (Altough it's not that importmatn - but meaning your rushed to LC = you have stables = a lot points = low morale on farms = easier loss of troops)
There are that came on my mind while I was thinking and writting this - maybe I could fine more, but currently I can't.

2.) Your Map Location

The Start-up Guide you should chose, should very depend on the Map Location.
Here we include:

• Core
  • Outter-Core
  • RIM
But those are just basic ones - there also more specific Map locations, which are importmant in this pattern:

• Near barbarians villages
  • Only players surronding you
  • You are almost alone in your 7x7

CORE - If you land in Core, means your in crowded place with mostly active players surronding you. If you are lucky you could have barbarian near you - but there will be alot players catching that barbarian.
My suggestion is to head for Axemen here - you can create around 20 Spears while reaching Axemen, but they are primary goal for you in the core region. Why?
Axemen are the best offensive unit without a horse - they can easily clear villages in very beginings and they are fast to research = you don't need alot of building to upgrade to get Axemen.
So assure you some Axemen and start cleaning villages + use your additional cca 20 Spears (you can have more ofcourse) to get better Farm Hauls and then go reach LC fast.

Outter-Core - This place is the best way to start if you're not that expirienced player, but have played already few worlds. This is because it grows more peacefully. While Core players will start smashing and clearing villages, in outter-core you'll still be upgrading your VHQ to 5.
The Social research of TW's Outter-core (which is 85% right) tells me, that players who land there aren't 100% aggresively pointed -> because everyone's watcing actions in Core and every player in outter-core thinkgs "Yes! Nobody will attack me, as they are all thrilled what's going up in Core so they won't pay much attention on rushing to troops".
(This has been examined on some other world where I was playing (W15, W32).)
That's why you can take ANY Guide for Outter-Core's progress.

RIM - RIM is two-edged sword. You must be carefull there. Players who join late, are ussualy the ones who know how to play (and that's not because, it's the best to start at RIM, but because they are just simply to bored to go in action at core) and can suprise quite easily.
Either RIM's can be the most peacefull place, with lots of newbies learning how to play properly OR it can turn out into Devil's Lair of demonic suprises.
I would easily suggest which Guide to follow on RIM, but it a lot heavier to decide - especially nowadays. The reason lays, that expirienced players will mostly use Aliases in games and you can't define if they are good or bad players.
IF YOU COULD know that -> the picking up a start-up Guide would be easy: Axemen = For expirienced players surronding you.
Spears = For noob's surronding you
LC = For lonely location (meaning not many villages surrond you).

THE UNENDING FIGHT: Axemen VS Light Cavalry

Many many many players fight over what's best to start with Axemen or Light Cavalry - but you can't just look at the names, because surely LC are much stronger then Axemen by stats.
You must include in your research:

• Building needed to research them
  • Resources needed to research them
  • Time needed to research them
These are very importmant factors at the startings - and all of these go in favour of Axemen.
While on the other hand, Light Cavalry easily beats them when you reach them.

The start-up is all about activity and speed in getting Troops

That's right. If you are just two hours more online then your neighbour - you win = he may become your farm.

Where does future lay on: Axemen or Light Cavalry?

If you are looking into distand future - it's very hard to decide. And I write this with already expected counters, because most people are hardcore fans of Light Cavalry - while I think Axemen can bring you a nice future too.
However, combined they are invincible and best attacking units.

So why not chose both Axemen and Light Cavalry already at start?

It is because of resources.
It depends on your luck, where are you located (lots barbs, lots inactive players, lots noob players) => Yes, then free to go and upgrade both of them.

But if you are surronded with good players, who may even attack you first or succesfully defend themselves = resources won't allow you to do both in EXPECTED QUANTITIES.

That's why I say Axemen always for clearing good players = LC will come after them.

"But Sasuke.., ofcourse I'll research Axemen, I think everyone does that! Why are you pointing out the obivous?"

Mr.X, there's a difference in just researching Axemen or activily recruit them!

People ussualy really do research axemen - but then they train around 20 of them and already going for LC - and this is not the same as Activily recruiting Axemen.

Acitivly recruiting Axemen means that you will over 100+ Axemen, before you get Light Cavalry. But ME, I do even more = I go for around 300 Axemen before touching Light Cavalry (ofcourse I educate Scouts when I have 100 Axemen).

It is NOT because they are better - but because I think that those who have defenses will build more Spearfighters then Swordsmen = And Axemen easily overcome Spears, while LC are having troubles with them (At the beginigs, players ussualy really do recruit spearffighers, because of the lack of Iron for Swordsmen). And I always take the chance, that next to me is an expirienced player which needs to be cleared ASAP + it brings me a lighter future, to not recruit that many additional Axemen, while I'll be reaching Nobles (because I always get atleast 1/2 Nuke on my first noble target).

I still suggest everyone to do LC.

Simply because:

axevslc1.jpg

And

axevslc2.jpg

(These were made on settings for W42 - that's why LC's Time is more beneficial then on slower worlds)

BUT REMEMBER: YOU MUST KNOW WHO ARE YOU SURRONDED WITH + WHAT ARE THE WORLD SETTINGS!

"Strenght is not measured with the army you are walking with - it is measured by comparing your enemies army to your own." - Napoleon

I just wanted to open another debating thread which can bring up usefull information, which couldn't be brough without it - I'm doing it in order to help some people, not to bring spam or anything like that.
Thanks,

Sasuke..

DeletedUser44895

Very very Nice , Very helpful too .. Keep the good work .

DeletedUser

I was sold at the home made boxes <3 You gotta love those!

Seriously though, a nice read and a good walkthrough on the LC/axeman dilemma.

DeletedUser

One thing. Slow World speed (0.5) is the setting where LC are most needed. Your mines aren't producing, so you need to be sucking up every res available.

So, unless you have no barbs available, LC rush is the thing to do on Slow worlds.

DeletedUser54374

Well, the morale doesn't really have any effect to be honest.. I send 15 lcs out to a 50% morale village, and no losses of course. So morale should not be a reason to not rush LCs.

Personally, I like rushing LCs. But that's just the kind of player I am. As soon as BP ends, I don't clear active people. I just focus on farming the inactives and the barbs with my LCs. So it also depends on your style of playing.

Also, just because you have no barbs in your 7x7 doesn't mean that's the reason to rush LCs. Even if you do have barbs in your 7x7 I think you should still rush LCs. As you will get resources that much faster. And once you get the LCs and start farming, it's then much easier to start mass making axes.

But yeah, good read Sasuke and I like the points you made with going axes first.. One day, I might even try that tactic.

DeletedUser

Thanks everyone.

Irish: Yes, ofcourse - maybe I wrote it a bit wrong. Ofcourse LC are importmant = I just mean at the very start-up => it is good to get time advantage! And if you check time needed to get Axemen on 0.5 is faster and cheaper then LC, while on the 1.+ World Speed, it's faster to get LC (though still not cheaper). I'm talking here about clearing villages, not just the common farming.

I hope you understand what I mean, sometimes I hardly express myself good in English. :)

Rizkyaa: Morale is quite importmant role while CLEARING villages: check how does morale influence while the defender has got Spearfighers and you have LC's (i'm not saying you won't win the fight, but check the losses and then try to compare them with axemen losses + what is cheaper to rebuild again)

Hmm..did we missunderstood us? I think I said, that if there are no barbs in 7x7, just players - get the Axes. :)

And yes, LC's are, as I said, always the "good" the decision, it can't go bad with them - but not necessary BEST decision on each opportunity.

Thanks for making a good statement - that's why I respond :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Can you create a single thread in the General area for W42 to put your guides in?
I'm sure some people find them helpful, but it is really irratating to keep reading through the PnPs and seeing nothing that is actually relevant to this world...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I like writting them here, where everyone can see them = noone really checks that much General Discussion.

And it's relevant, actually not only for this world, but each world. Everyone has problems with start-ups and everyone checks mostly only here, not in General Discussion.

But if Mad will think this not belongs here, he'll bring it away. :)

DeletedUser

Can you create a single thread in the General area for W42 to put your guides in?
I'm sure some people find them helpful, but it is really irratating to keep reading through the PnPs and seeing nothing that is actually relevant to this world...

You haven't found my contribution to the General W42 forum, even though I mentioned you with much <3 :icon_sad:

michealkauz

i thought your guide was interesting... thanks for taking the time to do it!

DeletedUser

IMO, it depends on the location and how long BP it is. Good location / short BP, do this:

"This is stupid, ofcourse it's the best way to rush for LC and start farming!"

If the location sucks and the BP is like reaaaaallyyyy long (like 5 days - ewww) quit the world. Or don't join at all.

DeletedUser

Uh, great add Beautiful Disaster! You see, I missed that one out - BP's also importmant. Thanks.

DeletedUser

I am probably going to end up with a few posts on this topic here and there because I dont have the time to sit down and just do one post on it, but I would say a 5 day bp isnt too much all said and done. The only time it really comes into effect are on the worlds like 29 and 13 where they came out right before the holiday break ending with a 13+day bp. Now, I have played both of those worlds and I will still say I am for the lc rush on those worlds as well. For the following reasons. The longer a bp is, the more you see people thinking, I am going to raise my pits up because farming will suck resulting in a slower start with farming and you can get a quick head start. That being said it comes down to who you are by etc.

I will say I am a huge advocate of the lc start up in most cases, for example in this world I had a good 200-300 lc before I had even researched axes. You may think its stupid, but it all comes down to math. The debate about clearing vs. leaving alone. Is the benefit, or the outcome going to outweigh the losses. I say in the beginning of the world, and I am saying first week to two weeks, the more you clear, the greater potential you have to set yourself back. This would be because you have greater losses with a fewer number of axes, and most farms dont just roll over and die. You have those who proceed to raise their hp, those who raise their wall, and those who troop whore and try to continually kill your troops. You have to judge if its worth it to continue to kill their troops and if you are getting the hauls to replace those troops and also add to your growth. If it isnt than you are wasting your time, your troops and your resources. With LC the idea is not to clear right away, but search out those villages which you are not fighting the players to get the resources, aka those who have quit. Usually there are at least a few. The idea is to outgrow your surrounding players and hope that the newer players/easily intimidated restart or quit because they believe they have no chance at succeeding. This can backfire if you get spiked a lot, but that is why you get scouts up and running, and moving constantly.

Usually once you have a few hundred+ lc you can easily pull in the resources to make the axes and keep them running, at which point you can start looking around for clearing. Also this gives the other players a chance to grow their mines and increase your income from them because they believe it is safe to grow. You will get a few turtles but it gives those pit whores time to make their village a little nicer. This also has the benefit that if there is someone else nearby who loves to clear people, they have done some clearing for you, and you can try to coax them into attacking you and back timing them so you are the one to reap the rewards of their hard work and losses. Its not fair, but hey, this is tribalwars, we all do it.

Now, I am not so onesided that I will always go for lc and say axes should always happen later, because I agree it is based on the surrounding area. I wont get into describing what areas should look like or examples because that would take a lot of time, writing space, and more effort than I am willing to put into this at the moment, but it comes down to being a good judge of what is around, how everything is going etc.

Bottom line is in most cases if you are active enough, lc will have an end result with you rising above those who go axes first, but if the lc heavy rush backfires, you will be crippled more than someone who went axes.

DeletedUser

Now I've never really been too deep into strategy stuff in TW, don't get me wrong, I know what to do when player A does Z action, and most of the tricks in the book, but I'll just vouch for the axemen path.

I've been growing fairly peacefully in the rim (far southeast K57), and most people around me are pretty boring, and I had enough farms to keep constant production without stirring things up and making enemies early on (I'm tribeless). Seeing as I didnt need to go for for abundant resources, I havent poured much into lc, I've gone for plenty of axes and a decent defence. So anyway, today I got scouted by someone further afield. Naturally, I dodged and left 5 scouts behind to hide my troops hopefully. I also sent all my scouts bar 5 to him. I lucked out, as he only sent 5 scouts to me, and lost them all. (Gutted)

My scouts hit him, and I see 160 spears, 174 axes, 50 lc, his pally and a few scouts, and guess what? No swords? I must be dreaming, he's mine boys.

So now I'm waiting for my deadline to backtime his next attack, timed at axe speed, I'm hoping he's stupid enough to send all his axes and lc blind, running things on the sim, even with worst luck I dont lose all my axes, but it will be a bittersweet victory.

So what, say you all? Well, if I rushed LC, and this exact same thing happened, I would be totally stumped, with no axemen I would be totally unable to challenge him and I would be at his mercy, no exaggeration there.

Going for axemen is old faithful in my eyes, and rushing LC is a gamble that can end very badly. Just my thoughts. :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser54374

Now I've never really been too deep into strategy stuff in TW, don't get me wrong, I know what to do when player A does Z action, and most of the tricks in the book, but I'll just vouch for the axemen path.

I've been growing fairly peacefully in the rim (far southeast K57), and most people around me are pretty boring, and I had enough farms to keep constant production without stirring things up and making enemies early on (I'm tribeless). Seeing as I didnt need to go for for abundant resources, I havent poured much into lc, I've gone for plenty of axes and a decent defence. So anyway, today I got scouted by someone further afield. Naturally, I dodged and left 5 scouts behind to hide my troops hopefully. I also sent all my scouts bar 5 to him. I lucked out, as he only sent 5 scouts to me, and lost them all. (Gutted)

My scouts hit him, and I see 160 spears, 174 axes, 50 lc, his pally and a few scouts, and guess what? No swords? I must be dreaming, he's mine boys.

So now I'm waiting for my deadline to backtime his next attack, timed at axe speed, I'm hoping he's stupid enough to send all his axes and lc blind, running things on the sim, even with worst luck I dont lose all my axes, but it will be a bittersweet victory.

So what, say you all? Well, if I rushed LC, and this exact same thing happened, I would be totally stumped, with no axemen I would be totally unable to challenge him and I would be at his mercy, no exaggeration there.

Going for axemen is old faithful in my eyes, and rushing LC is a gamble that can end very badly. Just my thoughts. :icon_biggrin:

Hmm nice, have fun killing his axes. :lol:

But there's one thing I need to comment on. If you had focused on LCs first, then once you get a lot of them, it wouldn't be hard to keep axes flowing 24/7. So even if you did work on LCs, at this point of the game(when he scouted you) you should have a good amount of axes as well.

By rushing LCs, it doesn't mean to focus all on LCs until you have 1k or so.. But get a lot of LCs until you can have it pretty much going on all day and can then start mass making axes, whilst not losing any time on making lcs.

Because for me right now, I had rush LCs, but I have more axes now than I do LCs :icon_razz:.